PDA

View Full Version : suggestion: paragliding

Rhonan
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
standing at the peak of a high mountain watching the land, it came to my mind.
wouldn't it be nice to take some trash (metalpoles, cloth and strings or somthing), put them together to a paraglider, run towards the edge, jump and just fly a few minutes?

weeeh
http://www.sportlerfrage.net/media/fragen-antworten/bilder/120206/5_big.jpg

Jadzia
12-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Wow that would be great :)

Shaggy
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
I actually see this being pretty fun and useful, but would take a lot of work to make it work correctly. +1 internets for the idea! =)

trenixdecease
12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
This would be so unusual in a game like this.

Shaggy
12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Unusual but useful. Imagine how much faster you could get down a mountain by pulling out your paraglider and gliding down to the bottom. You'd have to make sure you're glider is in tip top shape or else it might fall apart in the air, causing you to plummet to your death. I think after a certain amount of uses your glider would need to be either repaired or it would bust and not be usable anymore.

Xx1327
12-05-2010, 08:31 PM

how so? if i was a paraglider then i would know how to and be able to build them and of course know their benefits. someone who doesn't use them can see the benefits of a glider: dropping in for attacks, transportation from high points, stealth, general enjoyment, the list goes on. It could be put into the game and fit/work.

they could also eventually lead to ultralights adding a whole new perspective to the game, prokop may be onto something with his post.

Rhonan
12-06-2010, 01:39 AM
i am not talking about unlimited flighttime, this would make the feature to powerfull. instead it needs playerskill to determine when you have to land and where.
could be usefull for scouting, or commanding your troups where to attack.
instead you would be a nice target for archers.

although i dont like the transport idea. to much weight and you will drop like a stone.

anyway, is there an online game with such a feature? ^^

trenixdecease
12-06-2010, 01:40 AM
how so? if i was a paraglider then i would know how to and be able to build them and of course know their benefits. someone who doesn't use them can see the benefits of a glider: dropping in for attacks, transportation from high points, stealth, general enjoyment, the list goes on. It could be put into the game and fit/work.

they could also eventually lead to ultralights adding a whole new perspective to the game, prokop may be onto something with his post.

Yes, if you were a paraglider, because there are so many of those. Sorry, but the thought of me making one right now in real life and using it, sounds extremely dangerous. It's a lot more difficult than you think...

Rhonan
12-06-2010, 02:03 AM
it would be unrealistic (for xsyon)? is that your point?

trenixdecease
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
it would be unrealistic (for xsyon)? is that your point?

It wont fit the setting, that's my point. We're supposed to be trying to survive, making a paraglider is like trying to commit suicide. Also, realism does play a little part in this, it would be unusual to see people flying around in 2012 after an apocalypse. By not having paragliders, my gameplay is fine the way it is. If you were to add it to the game, I would think on my part, it will alter my gameplay in a way that I would not be happy with. There will always be a battle between realism and gameplay, one shouldn't override the other. Basically, we're doing fine without it so it should be left alone.

Xx1327
12-06-2010, 08:01 PM
i am not talking about unlimited flighttime, this would make the feature to powerfull. instead it needs playerskill to determine when you have to land and where.
could be usefull for scouting, or commanding your troups where to attack.
instead you would be a nice target for archers.

although i dont like the transport idea. to much weight and you will drop like a stone.

flight time is only limited by the height your gliding from, and carrying things would be done with a large packs or what not, not storing things on the glider it's self.

Yes, if you were a paraglider, because there are so many of those. Sorry, but the thought of me making one right now in real life and using it, sounds extremely dangerous. It's a lot more difficult than you think...

paragliding is actually a popular sport and in mountainous areas i'm sure you'll find a community of them. all it is your doing is gliding down like a paper airplane from somewhere high up, if you know anything bout anything when it comes to aviation this is chump work. another form of paragliding tho is just using a sports chute and is more "safe" but a lot more difficult to build than a paraglider

Rhonan
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
it wont fit the setting. ok i think this everyones own association.
i dont think that mankind will only gathering food and try to survive the wilderness. at some time they will look for fun, action or just a way to outclass theire enemies. maybe due to aircontroll.

btw humans tried for decades to fly (look at leonardo da vinci, wright brothers)
i think they will try again

but thats my opinion ;)

trenixdecease
12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
it wont fit the setting. ok i think this everyones own association.
i dont think that mankind will only gathering food and try to survive the wilderness. at some time they will look for fun, action or just a way to outclass theire enemies. maybe due to aircontroll.

btw humans tried for decades to fly (look at leonardo da vinci, wright brothers)
i think they will try again

but thats my opinion ;)

That may be so; however, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Hyip
12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I like the idea. I am sure the region has atleast a few paragliding clubs. So if it could be put in the game I see no reason why we couldnt find the right parts by scavanging.

Saorlan
12-08-2010, 07:45 AM
standing at the peak of a high mountain watching the land, it came to my mind.
wouldn't it be nice to take some trash (metalpoles, cloth and strings or somthing), put them together to a paraglider, run towards the edge, jump and just fly a few minutes?

weeeh
http://www.sportlerfrage.net/media/fragen-antworten/bilder/120206/5_big.jpg

WOW that is the last thing this game needs right now....

Jadzia
12-08-2010, 11:21 AM
WOW that is the last thing this game needs right now....
I think no one meant it right now :)

Rhonan
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
not now ^^
it's a feature i'd like to see in the future.

for now a little bit more things to do were great ;)

Hyip
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
If it was in the game. I think it would be best if it could be used once then destroyed. Like you gather the material. Then later on if you need a quick getaway. you assemble it quick then take off off of a cliff. Then kinda crashland and it be destroyed. Just would give you enough of a head start to get away from say a party of 5 or so chasing you.

Xx1327
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
why have it destroyed just repack it then whenever ur up high somewhere use it

Shaggy
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I think it shouldn't be destroyed upon the first use but after X amount of flying time, so if it goes all the way down when you're in the air you plummet to your death. I would think maybe 5 minutes total flying time or something to that effect would be a good amount of time..

Xx1327
12-08-2010, 07:01 PM
eh i guess for a easy solution you could throw that together but i think making the materials degrade over time and when they're old enough just break and need repairing/replacing. leather parts and things of that nature would degrade fast so you'd be replacing those a lot for so many uses then the wooden, or whatever it ends being, frames eventually get worn down and parts of them break.

you'd be able to check on the rate at which its falling apart through visual cues and analyzing it(right click for a description which tells you how it looks). eventually you could have parts breaking down in mid-flight, after landing, right before trying to escape.

steuss
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Dark and Light did this, and was one of the best features of that ill-fated game. I would love to see it implemented here too.

They also had snowboarding down snowy mountains.

tredo
02-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Well.... actually, flight was talked about almost a year ago, there are ideas on paper that Jordi has, that perhaps will make it to the game some time in the future. I know he liked the idea of flight and different ways it could be introduced and stay within the lore and design of the game. Don't count on it any time in the near future at all... but maybe someday in an expansion, I could see it making its way in game in one form or another.

Aramanu
02-16-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.thebookofdays.com/months/dec/images/flying_ship.jpg

Tehroth
02-22-2011, 09:08 PM
It wont fit the setting, that's my point. We're supposed to be trying to survive, making a paraglider is like trying to commit suicide. Also, realism does play a little part in this, it would be unusual to see people flying around in 2012 after an apocalypse. By not having paragliders, my gameplay is fine the way it is. If you were to add it to the game, I would think on my part, it will alter my gameplay in a way that I would not be happy with. There will always be a battle between realism and gameplay, one shouldn't override the other. Basically, we're doing fine without it so it should be left alone.

I know this is an older thread, but have you read the lore? Gods, Demons, and mutants are in the game. Paragliding which I think you should know is realistic. This would be a pretty neat feature and as I have heard was in other games such as Light and Dark, which I never played personally. The world would have to be a bit more expansive though and have cliffs that are a bit more elevated.

Andro Bourne
02-28-2011, 03:25 PM

What he said...

If you want a fluffy I can fly everywhere in pewpew noob non game related world then go play Gayion...

Chavoda
02-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Realism.... guys did anyone read the lore at all? anyting is possible. we have zombies, and mutated animals and magic incomming. and that are known features. anyting that fits in any way into jordi's story/game can be fit in. hot air baloons were invented in 1783 ...

Anyting is possible in Xsyon - Anyting that The devs aprove of. this is not a realive copy.
ps: the game starts in 2036, not in 2012.

jumper45
03-11-2011, 04:01 AM

There was (is?) a game called Dark and Light that had paragliding, dragon flight (you had to find and tame it first), parachuting/freefalling, skiing, and combinations of these.

chaosegg
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I love it,
but any sort of equipment like this should be huge and bulky or be heavy/bulky components and require assembly before using (unable to move it after assembly).
Also it should have a very high chance to be heavily damaged or destroyed unless you happen to not run into anything when you land...
great idea though!

Lily
03-14-2011, 04:55 AM
Sounds like a pretty neat feature for the future. There's been a few mountains I could imagine this working on, but it's pretty limited. Most have a slope for you to walk down, rather than cliffs to throw yourself off of.

Andius
03-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I can agree with the people saying flight wouldn't be the first thing people would try to perfect in this setting. Thinking from a realistic perspective, if I was thrown into the wilderness with nothing but some hand tools and my wits, in an environment where there was other people but no real form of law outside a few tribes with limited military power, what would I do? First I would need food and water of course. We have skills for that. Then heat and shelter. Of course we have those as well. Then a means to defend myself, my family, my friends, and our property. We have walls and weapons so check. So now that we have all of those what would I look for next? First a more reliable source of food than hunting and gathering. We don't have agriculture or livestock yet, so that would be a big priority. With agriculture comes stability and a tie to the land and something worth pillaging, so I need better weapons to defend my land with. Things like swords, spears, bows, traps, possibly even primitive firearms and bombs. I'm also going to need better tools to work the land. Things like plows, wheelbarrows or carts, etc. Once I have a steady source of food, a nice warm shelter, and am well defended. Then I can begin trading my surplus food for luxuries.

Paragliding is a luxury. It's something that a hunter gatherer society will simply be too busy trying to survive to build. People may want fun and excitement, but our ability to experience those things today is a result of surplus resources. We have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than we need to survive so we can invest time into things like paragliding and video games.

The example is compare societies like hunter gatherer tribes in South America to societies like the Aztecs and Mayans. Aztecs and Mayans did amazing things, lesser tribes were lucky to have decorated pottery. Thats because Aztecs and Mayans had a strong agricultural economy driven by maize (corn.) I personally think that until we are able to grow some form of staple crop like corn, wheat, rice, yams, or potatoes that things like paragliding be put on the back burner in favor of skills more useful in a hunter gatherer society.

Not to say that it isn't interesting idea, or that we shouldn't remember it for an update in the remote future.