PDA

View Full Version : Move GameServers to UK

woachaos
02-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Game Servers should be in the UK or somewhere in that region. Best network connection worldwide, so people in Europe had a chance to play with acceptable pings, too.
I can't see why you would put a gameserver for an international game to Chicago srsly..
Gameservers in the UK produce pings < 100 for whole Europe most parts of the US and even Russia.

greetings,
SarrethPRO

Isley
02-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Agreed, I think the eve-online servers are hosted in london.

IP is 87.237.38.200 if someone wants to ping it.
From germany I got a ping of 34.

Kinslayer
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Ive got a better idea...

Lets put the servers in Australia, so I get a good ping instead.

Perhaps you should research the network that is called the internet. The center of the internet world is the US. Australia and all of Australasia routes via the US to Europe, so basically, Europe is at one end of the internet, Australasia the other, and the US is in the middle. That is why international games are best off having servers in the US.

yoori
02-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Europe FTW!!!

Might be true, but it needs some testing. I could use lower pings.

Kinslayer
02-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Agreed, I think the eve-online servers are hosted in london.

IP is 87.237.38.200 if someone wants to ping it.
From germany I got a ping of 34.431ms. I'd have a 34ms ping too if the server was right next door.

woachaos
02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Ive got a better idea...

Lets put the servers in Australia, so I get a good ping instead.

Perhaps you should research the network that is called the internet. The center of the internet world is the US. Australia and all of Australasia routes via the US to Europe, so basically, Europe is at one end of the internet, Australasia the other, and the US is in the middle. That is why international games are best off having servers in the US.

Only that Australia is in the back of beyond not only internet-wise.. I bet more than 90% of the cummunity is from either Europe, Westcoast or Russia and for those UK would be the best compromise.

Hooflung
02-12-2011, 07:33 PM
431ms. I'd have a 34ms ping too if the server was right next door.

<30ms avg ping, I am right next door!! :cool:

I wasn't aware that this is a twitch game that needs less then a 150ms ping time to be competitive?

Vadio
02-12-2011, 07:35 PM
270ms in EU
180ms in US
:)

Isley
02-12-2011, 07:49 PM
<30ms avg ping, I am right next door!! :cool:

I wasn't aware that this is a twitch game that needs less then a 150ms ping time to be competitive?

Aim based full loot PvP?

dfend
02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
UK gameserver would be awesome. Its a prime server location for US and Europe with acceptable pings from Middle East too. Personally, I ping 38ms to the IP

Blud
02-12-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm in Korea.
When I play Darkfall I get 350 ping on the EU server and 120 on the US server.
Let's not move the server, please.

Niburu
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Great Idea, EVE server are on iceland right ?

naughty
02-12-2011, 08:11 PM
wtb a good ping

sudo
02-12-2011, 11:30 PM
UK gameserver would be awesome. Its a prime server location for US and Europe with acceptable pings from Middle East too. Personally, I ping 38ms to the IP

I bet Middle East is like a bad word said on TV for most people... The percentage of players from Middle East playing mmorpgs is so minor that we are shat on constantly. To the point that Final Fantasy XIV even had no payment method for players from any of the Middle Eastern countries and I had to register my cc via my friend in Netherlands real adress.

On the topic: Yes, I'd love the servers to be located in UK, but since our Dev is from US we most probably can only keep dreaming about this. Best case scenario is they open EU servers just like Darkfall opened US servers and let us transfer our characters to them one day.

Tom316
02-13-2011, 01:08 AM
I vote keep the servers where they are at. 26ms pings to the current US based server.

Saorlan
02-13-2011, 01:41 AM
I totally agree that the servers should be in the UK - it would open the game to far more players. I am in India and connecting to the US is bad shit - Europe is far more accessible to the rest of the world (apart from Australia)

I vote UK servers!!!!

darkrounge
02-13-2011, 02:28 AM
I think Jooky got someone to host it for him, someone he knows.
Better then hosting it on a unreliable computer that he knows nothing about! I say keep it where it as for the time being. Yet, until you actually get a stable release.

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 02:30 AM
I have 110 ping from Germany and think it's more than enough for this game. However, moving the servers to UK would definitely lower the average ping for the whole player base.

Hummel139
02-13-2011, 03:17 AM
make a poll !

Vandali
02-13-2011, 03:33 AM
East coast US atleast for an international server. I would presume if there was the need
for another server it would be in Europe.

And the ozzies can't even play cricket, so a high ping for them really makes no difference. :)

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 03:35 AM
There really isn't that much in it when you're talking world connectivity. US MT has long been the best place to host for global servers, its only very recently European Datacentres have caught up in terms of pipe accessibility. EVE is an exception due to how it was conceived, the nature of the playstyle and staff location, and the fact that the US uptake in EVE has never been particularly large, unlike here in Xsyon.

If this was an FPS with heavy ping dependency you may have an argument, but when the majority of the EU can happily connect with around 100ms Ping on a decent network provider, I doubt youre going to prompt any kind of server move less than a week before launch.

You would have better results contacting your ISP to arrange a better route for you if you require it.

GuideRaguel
02-13-2011, 04:15 AM
To be honest i must the only EU player who doesnt see a problem with the ping, I ping around 130-140 and i feel that this is more than enough for this game.
Ok... ok... it would be nice to have a ping of 15-60 like most US players are having, but really i dont have any problem with the ping what so ever.

On a side note: there possibly might be a 2nd server for EU players if there is a call for it.

Make a poll guys and let us guides see what you think.

Vandali
02-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Ping isn't that much of a problem with tab targeting, but for a fps it can be. Until theres ranged weaponry though we wont know how much of a problem it is, or even if it is a problem.

Africanus
02-13-2011, 06:28 AM
I totally agree that the servers should be in the UK - it would open the game to far more players. I am in India and connecting to the US is bad shit - Europe is far more accessible to the rest of the world (apart from Australia)

I vote UK servers!!!!

I vote as far away from India as possible. It's the least you deserve for unleashing those annoying call center mofo's on us...

Move em' to Australia, we're clearly the most important customers. Quality, not quantity!

Lhowatt
02-13-2011, 07:28 AM
They will put the servers where the majority of players will be. In this case the majority of players are probably in the US.

Chavoda
02-13-2011, 07:40 AM
ping <-110 very rare above it. and im in Europe. so no problem at all. (dutch)

STAR_GOD
02-13-2011, 07:41 AM
totaly agree put it in uk

Winkers
02-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Majority of the players are in US, Europe, and Australia. US East Coast is smack dab in the middle of that and I've never heard of anyone getting a particularly terrible ping, so why change it? The only other place that's near as good is Berlin (about the same distance from Chicago and Australia as Chicago is from the other two.) That doesn't make much at the moment though, because unless the devs say otherwise it's pretty widely believed the the majority of players are in the US.

Edit: Actually, not smack dab in the middle. We'd have to put the servers closer to the west coast (farther from europe) for that to hold true.

Gypsy
02-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Sure lets waste more time moving the servers. Besides, there isn't a huge list of things that need to be accomplished to polish game play...

woachaos
02-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Sure lets waste more time moving the servers. Besides, there isn't a huge list of things that need to be accomplished to polish game play...

orly ?

woachaos
02-13-2011, 09:36 AM
We are in the process of setting up a second Xsyon world on European servers!

Players will be able to connect to both locations if they desire. You won't be forced to play on a particular server, but this will give European players much better connections if they choose to play on the new servers.

We are currently waiting on our host company to set up the new servers. The download server at our US location will also be upgraded and we are preparing an additional Trial server.

We are considering setting up additional servers in both the US and Europe that will be more war oriented where we will remove safe zones and make some adjustments. At the moment this is very likely, but we have no set date for this.

The server and client have been updated and patched out. The main reason for this update is to fix a problem with saving character schemes we discovered yesterday. This was the cause for data rollbacks yesterday and this morning. I will be carefully monitoring the server to make sure this issue is fixed.

WICKED SICK

Hummel139
02-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Awesome ! What a great support !

Vandali
02-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Will there be character transfers i wonder. :)

Niburu
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
so much for that....thx for listening, we go drink a beer later

haha

woachaos
02-13-2011, 10:02 AM
According to GMs, yes.

sudo
02-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Best news ever!
Cheers everybody!