PDA

View Full Version : EU Server coming!

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
That I didn't expect, guys. I'm really happy, since I'm playing from EU, but also worrying about the population.

What do you think?

naughty
02-13-2011, 10:00 AM
nice

Niburu
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Thx for listening to us

Lilisam
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
This sux as the european server won't be up at 18 february.

Sakho
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Im glad to hear about european servers! And more glad about hear that players can choose whichever to play, even if the servers is not located in their zone.

Hummel139
02-13-2011, 10:13 AM
maybe we can start on the us server and transfer to eu when its become up

Stundorn
02-13-2011, 10:18 AM
We are about 20 players from germany, austria and swiss. We are really looking forward to Xsyons launch.
And now i really feel bad about that decision.
1st of all i know that when i start at Friday it won't last long for me, as it is technically better to play on an EU Server even if this game is about pvp. So Friday is just another wipe for me, the game really starts with the launch of the european server :(
I wonder if this EU Server will have it's population, but ok i know that one EU Server will be filled up after some time.
But why they plan Servers with different pvp rulesets?

Vandali
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Players will be able to connect to both locations if they desire. You won't be forced to play on a particular server, but this will give European players much better connections if they choose to play on the new servers.

I wonder if this means we can connect with the same character or just to each server but with different characters.

broo123
02-13-2011, 10:29 AM
im not sure its the best idee - more i think is bad idee
im from europe and have decend pings around 140 (enough for mmorpg)
it will split up community
personally i would like to stay on US server but all depend from how many EU guys stay on US
i like idee of one global server when no matter when you go online you have people to play with
i liked it in DFO on beginning same in EVE or lately in Perpetuum

i dont know numbers how many people purchase Xsyon and i don't know future - but its niche game and i don't expect great numbers of players + devide it by 2 - seems bad idee...
but i hope that devs knows number of players that buy game from different regions and thats why they made that decision - not only because whine of few ppl

sxxxxe
02-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh no,
this is the worst decision since i joined six month ago. I'm pretty sure this will kill the game. The game will have a really low player base compared to other games and splitting this player base is the worst case scenario. If the only reason for this decision is the ping from some European players (mine is 120 and i'm from germany), then the devs should think about it twice and put more brainpower in a solution like eve online, where the whole world is a big server cluster. I know its a different game but there has to be a solution other then splitting the player base. :/

I really really have to think about twice no if i will play this game. Sad but true. From the start i was thinking that the whole Xsyon world will be one big server.

Anyway, thx for making this decision now, cause making it later would be even worse.

eightonefive
02-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I guess I'm happy for you european players that you got what you asked for, but I seriously question the idea. game world is largely devoid of player population and this will just divide it again. and then setting up servers with different pvp rulesets is a terrible idea. I think Ill be looking for another game in 4 months time. :(

Cerbero
02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Actually, considering the low population I think it won't be wise split the european and us players between two different servers.

Niburu
02-13-2011, 10:34 AM
i guess they see the subscriber numbers and made this decision long time ago because you don't rent some game servers fast

eightonefive
02-13-2011, 10:40 AM
in most mmos the paid subscriptions drop after 3 months and then again at 6 months. if I was jooky i wouldn't want to jump the gun. I can see him trying to do this before the european players have a lot of time invested in their cities and characters on the NA server, and thats commendable. I just hope it doesn't backfire.

STAR_GOD
WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING! I have over 30 man tribe they all over place world why cant you just keep it on one server? Have you thought about concequences? Why cant you interlink servers and do it like Eve one server for everyone?

Have you thought about population concequences?

Have you thought about launch that you state eu servers will be available month later after launch? So you telling people to play on us server and then switch to eu if they want? to reamke toons and lose all time invested?

This is sandbox not just another game this should be all one world!

The usa server ping is not that bad and if you get stronger servers it will be btter as you state!

This simply sucks! RAGE :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

What about tribal implications most tribes consist of gaming societies which means now they gona be split! RAGEEEEEEE

So hier is fun part they say you will be able to transfer toons what about all the houses tools and stuff build You lose all fo it great!

Anyone that wants to rage post here

Gandhi
I find that quite sad. In my opinion it would be much better to have the complete community at one server.

broo123
02-13-2011, 10:43 AM
/sign

ok maybe another server will be fine but after few months - and then enable some kind of character transfers (but imho there should be only one) - when all will know where we stand and if server is really overpopulated etc.

Niburu
02-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Character Transfere is already confirmed by GM's so you won't lose your stats

And from 18th to End of Feb. is not really a long time span

broo123
02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
in most mmos the paid subscriptions drop after 3 months and then again at 6 months. if I was jooky i wouldn't want to jump the gun. I can see him trying to do this before the european players have a lot of time invested in their cities and characters on the NA server, and thats commendable. I just hope it doesn't backfire.

yup as i said in different topic - after few months they could start to think about making new one
but now its too fast and can ruin population :/

im european and will stay on US - and hope the moste of EU guys do the same
but in that madness they done one good thing - they give option to choose

STAR_GOD
02-13-2011, 10:47 AM
What about tribal implications most tribes consist of gaming societies which means now they gona be split! RAGEEEEEEE

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Just imagine there's only one server and play there. Problem solved! :D

CrazyMoe
02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Let one thing be clear: Xsyon is a niche game.
It's not newbie-friendly, it's not combat oriented (for now), in the world of Xsyon you are alone and scared, at least at the begining. It means that the population will be very low unless the game is a huge commercial success (which would be a big surprise, not spitting on the game here, just trying to stay realistic). So is it really a good idea to split the already small community in two by launching another server ?

/discuss

Mako_Jak
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Yeah this sounds bad for an already niche market. Didn't work out well at all for another sandboxy niche game, at least not for the players, splitting the community like this. I'm from New Jersey and I'd honestly rather be playing on a single server, even if it's on the other side of the world, than I would on a local server with a split community.

Regardless, I love the game and the community, and I will support whatever these guys decide to do, just seems a strange decision for a game where community is everything.

STAR_GOD
02-13-2011, 10:54 AM
AGHHHH this really big fail

Sakho
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
European players can play on US servers and americans can play on EU serves so you can keep your +30 tribe.

STAR_GOD
02-13-2011, 10:59 AM
European players can play on US servers and americans can play on EU serves so you can keep your +30 tribe.

yeah but why would you play on us if your ping is bad? why not just invest in server and interlink servers so everyone plays on one big server and everyone has good ping

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Not terribly happy about it either, Im from the UK but will be staying on the US server.

A single server was one of the reasons I purchased Xsyon in the first place, really hate sharded populations, especially in such a niche game. There are just over 6000 accounts active on the forums at the moment, I expect at least half of them not to last past the 2 months included, after that things could become very quiet if the devs aren't careful.

All this before any of the extra landmass making up the bulk of the world has even been enabled...

sionide
02-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Let one thing be clear: Xsyon is a niche game.
It's not newbie-friendly, it's not combat oriented (for now), in the world of Xsyon you are alone and scared, at least at the begining. It means that the population will be very low unless the game is a huge commercial success (which would be a big surprise, not spitting on the game here, just trying to stay realistic). So is it really a good idea to split the already small community in two by launching another server ?

/discuss

I personally don't like the idea, but I see why the devs are doing it. Xsyon is essentially a twitched based game in terms of PvP, and no matter what happens PvP will eventually take over Xsyon as a main feature (at least once tribal warfare comes in). I think it would be unfair for EU players with 150-200ms (speculating) to face NA players with 16-32 ms in PvP.

I know in Darkfall when I was playing overseas I was crap in 1v1 cause I was constantly running 300+ ms.

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 11:06 AM
Polls ftw!

sionide
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
AGHHHH this really big fail

I believe you have a choice to which server you want to play on. So if you all want to play on the NA server you guys can.

neijlu
02-13-2011, 11:08 AM
im not sure its the best idee - more i think is bad idee
im from europe and have decend pings around 140 (enough for mmorpg)
it will split up community
personally i would like to stay on US server but all depend from how many EU guys stay on US
i like idee of one global server when no matter when you go online you have people to play with
i liked it in DFO on beginning same in EVE or lately in Perpetuum

i dont know numbers how many people purchase Xsyon and i don't know future - but its niche game and i don't expect great numbers of players + devide it by 2 - seems bad idee...
but i hope that devs knows number of players that buy game from different regions and thats why they made that decision - not only because whine of few ppl

agree with that
I think it's wery bad to split community. I play from france and my ping is very good (around 150).
Look at DF there are two server and no enough players.

Joph
02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm every upset about this. One of the main things that brought me to this game was a single server instance with people from all around the world playing on it.

Larsa
02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
I know it's a difficult decision and I hope it turns out well. I'm from Europe and getting about 140 ms ping now, but with lag spikes up to 1000 ms from time to time.

Thus I'll be on the EU server. Personally I welcome the decision.

Kinslayer
02-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Definitely a bad idea. Youre better off keeping a large community on one server, rather than 2 small communities on two servers.

For mine, .eu people are whingers, as are .us people when they play on .eu servers. Twitch based combat doesnt need a sub 100 ping to compete. For years I have played on pings ranging from 200ms to 450ms, in twitch based combat games, and have remained extremely competitive. Rather than whinging about your ping, you simply have to learn how to use it, its that easy.

Vadio
02-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Dividing a population that is not too large
And bad for everyone
Add Cost to another server to a company with limited resources and already risky
Frankly, I agree that for most people living in Europe will be happy with lower ping
I believe this decision will damage the game more than help

broo123
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
poll would be great but only for subscribers
it can be to easy manipulated
btw pings around 150 in mmorpg aren't that bad
escpecially when EU and US players have diffrent time zones so they only little bit overlap each other

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Here's one argument which may stfu some of you. :D

Have you ever played Darkfall? Remember the sieges between NA and EU clans? When one clan was asleep excluding some jobless addicts, and another could take their city easily?

Same would happen here in Xsyon. Would you want to wake up one morning and see your town gone?

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Failed argument when you dont even know how war mechanics are going to work. The only talk of anything so far has about extended land to, not main tribal lands, so what youre saying isnt even going to be possible as far as we know.

naughty
02-13-2011, 11:36 AM
my ping is always around 200...and this sucks in a full loot mmo

Gandhi
02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's one argument which may stfu some of you. :D

Have you ever played Darkfall? Remember the sieges between NA and EU clans? When one clan was asleep excluding some jobless addicts, and another could take their city easily?

Same would happen here in Xsyon. Would you want to wake up one morning and see your town gone?

But Tribe-wars will only be possible in a few months. Why not waiting so long and see, how the populationof the game is developing? If it is high in a few months, there would be almost nothing what would speak against an European server. If it would be quite low, it would be senseless to create a new server. Moreover i think it would be better for the game to keep the community on one big servers. In my opinion, the pros in that case would be higher than the cons.

broo123
02-13-2011, 11:40 AM
its not a solution
sieges can also be done late at night by some "hardcore" players - ninja sieges
they will have to implement tools to avoid that kind of situations - and it must be done in global server or on splitted EU and US servers
propably we still dont have that content yet bacause its difficult to do and devs must think twice every aspect before they implement it ingame

Isley
02-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Would rather have an east coast server instead of 2.
At least until the population is big enough for 2...

Hampy
02-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Bad argument..but one thing is certain...i as a costumer have a choice to play this game or not...and i just choose not to play because of this, in my opinion bad choice making another server...its a total gamebreaker...im really mad now...if i had some gama rays here id be green by now.

STAR_GOD
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Failed argument when you dont even know how war mechanics are going to work. The only talk of anything so far has about extended land to, not main tribal lands, so what youre saying isnt even going to be possible as far as we know.

Totaly agree plus there will be 3 servers just a note

broo123
02-13-2011, 11:48 AM
my ping is always around 200...and this sucks in a full loot mmo

but most of the time you will fight with people with same ping - and killing person that have large ping is not too easy ;)
it can be problem in fps games where you need precise aim - but in mmo its not that bad

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
Ok, so we won't be able to take-over tribes after prelude? Have I missed something?

Atreyu
I am totally in favour of this. To combat problems with map size/population, size the map according to player base? Start the EU server with smaller map size till numbers grow, then consider expansion. Time zone differences and ping issues make EU server a big plus for me

wirerzo
Probably the worst news I have heard about this game. I have been a staunch supporter of this game since I have bought it and have been following it for quite some time but this is just horrible news to me. One of the reasons I enjoy this game so much is that it is currently a single server and I can communicate with people all over the world, much like Eve Online. I do not understand why the community, which still isn't very big needs to be fragmented like this. This is just awful.

zeus3715
02-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Bad, bad, bad idea.

I don't have the dev tools to tell me how many unique people log in each day but I don't think that splitting the population like this will help at all.

If there are population issues with the game down the road, I cant ever see a server merge being successful in a game like this.

It may look like there are a lot of people playing now but you can only get a real idea of the population a month or two after the game releases.

That is when you should add a second server, not this early.

broo123
02-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Bad argument..but one thing is certain...i as a costumer have a choice to play this game or not...and i just choose not to play because of this, in my opinion bad choice making another server...its a total gamebreaker...im really mad now...if i had some gama rays here id be green by now.
personally i will stay but will play on US
and hope that guys from less populated server (prolly EU) will return to US
and another hope that game will survive till that time

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
but most of the time you will fight with people with same ping - and killing person that have large ping is not too easy ;)
it can be problem in fps games where you need precise aim - but in mmo its not that bad

The devs plan revamping the combat system. When it's done, ping will be very important.

eightonefive
02-13-2011, 11:57 AM
why did you start this thread and not add a poll? the discussion is already going on in another thread, so without a poll this thread is just splitting the discussion even more. add a poll.

wirerzo
02-13-2011, 11:58 AM
I do not understand why the community, which still isn't very big, needs to be split up like this. I have enjoyed playing with people all over the world, and now all my my friends will be split up because they will stay on the server that gets them slightly better ping. This is disappointing.

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Ok, so we won't be able to take-over tribes after prelude? Have I missed something?

We have no idea yet how things are going to play out, the only war talk so far has been in regards to extended land, and thats additional totems, not main tribal land. Weve no idea where the game will evolve to this next 6-12 months, have to wait and see :)

Vadio
02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Yes or No

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Maybe this should be modified to will you move onto the EU server.

Personally im from the UK, wont be playing on the EU server, and dont like the idea.

Cracky69
02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm delighted to hear this.

My biggest reason is that I'm against all these pre-formed Tribes. By playing on a European server we will have the opportunity to allow the guilds to evolve much more organically. This will also mean the initial period is as much about meeting people as rushing to start maxing every crafting skill in the group.

Also PvP will be less affected by ping.

Best news yet.

Vandali
02-13-2011, 12:12 PM
We are considering setting up additional servers in both the US and Europe that will be more war oriented where we will remove safe zones and make some adjustments. At the moment this is very likely, but we have no set date for this.

The European server was a curious move as i think we were all expecting an EvE style approach with one server and i think most of us in Euroland would have adjusted okay with the ping.

But what has really hurt Xsyon for myself is the announcement that there will be servers in the future with separate rule-sets, theres nothing worse for myself than a game that creates separate servers for different play styles.

So having become caught up in the hype about this game, where all playstyles looked to have a place in the world in true sandbox tradition, it now looks as though thats not the case, sad panda here. :(

Maltchi
02-13-2011, 12:13 PM
I am extremely saddened at this, i can only hope that huge negative response from players will change their minds.

Gandhi
02-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe this should be modified to will you move onto the EU server.

Personally im from the UK, wont be playing on the EU server, and dont like the idea.

I disagree with that. I would move if a European server came, but i really hope, that the developers think about the decision and keep the complete community on one server.

CrazyMoe
02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm from western Europe and I voted no. Don't divide the community.

Maltchi
02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
To divide the already small community (and expected to grow smaller, just trends of an MMO) into 2 servers is just a stupid move. Any pro's do not outweigh the number of con's.

CrazyMoe
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Very, very bad idea.

2 different servers for the US, 2 for the EU... One small community. I don't like where this is going.

CrazyMoe
02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
The European darkfall server died after the launch of NA - 1.

Fail argument is fail.

wirerzo
02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
I want to play with everyone, not just EU or US. This is a ridiculous move in my opinion. I would rather have a EU based server (like Eve) or a US based server, not both. Communities like this work better with one server.

zeus3715
02-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Bad Idea for two servers but bearable.

More servers for different rule sets is just unthinkable.

rixk
02-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I am from Europe too, and agreed with people above me, don't split the small community. Of course (for obvious reasons), I would be very OK, when they moved the server to EU from US. :P

Isley
02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I will be playing on the EU server then, but I don't really like it tbh.
Not sure if the game has the population for 2 servers at this point.

WicKeD
02-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Definitely not. Should be one server like eve

Sully
02-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Well im from Europe,and i will stay on the US server.Dont think its a good idea to split the community,and as i heard many ppl from the EU will stay on the US server.So maybe put up some voting for the EU players or something,to see what the community wants,couse splitting the players is a bad idea i think...

FabricSoftener
02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I think crazy large server but with pvp/pve regions might work better for everyone although I can see exploits possible there. The thing is I dont think the two play styles work very well together, both sides end up having to comprise something and neither side becomes fully happy.

If I was an investor I would invest in a pve direction assuming many more pve mobs are coming and those mobs could attack player villages. Turns out studies in human behavior show that people are actually more cooperative then competitive suggesting there would be a larger pool of players for pve than pvp. Take this and add the high level of crafting factor to this game (thus attracting even more pve players) I think the forumla from an investment standpoint is clear.

Mako_Jak
02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Dividing a community for a game that depends so greatly on the community, seems very counterproductive 3 weeks before launch.
But Jooky is a smart fella, I am sure he did not make this decision lightly. Only he knows the limitations of his hardware and software, and what he's able to do with his resources to transcend those limitations.
So I answer "NO". But I will support him however I can and preach this game to everybody that I know, because games like this only come along once in a very, very blue moon and I will be thankful regardless.
I'll take it however I can get it, although 1 server would be my top choice. I'd rather play on a server on the other side of the world, with everyone, then on one in my backyard with half of an already niche community. But that's just me.

Best to all, regardless of where you go... Xsyon is worth hurdling these obstacles in my opinion, and growing the community, even if it means on 2 servers.

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
I dont see this ever happening personally, its a nice vision for Jooky and I admire his enthusiasm, but I think the game will find its niche population and not warrant more servers beyond what we already have.

Jasdemi
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM
No different server types. kthx

Isley
02-13-2011, 12:53 PM
"We are considering setting up additional servers in both the US and Europe that will be more war oriented where we will remove safe zones and make some adjustments. At the moment this is very likely, but we have no set date for this."

Don't you think 2 servers are enough for this small community, now you consider even more servers?

Thanks for trying to do something for the PvP community but this is definitely the wrong move. Adding these servers after people already settled down on the normal ones, can only see them becoming ghost towns.

Please fix your PvP system instead, thanks.

tredo
02-13-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree, keep the one server, expand past the green mist, make the playing field larger in the near future and you can create rules for both the PvP and PvE experience that will cater to both sides of the coin. Keep focusing on crafting, terraforming, and the things on the features list, make the game what is can be and worry less about how many servers you have.

Shaggy
02-13-2011, 12:55 PM
This is a HUGE mistake! I can't believe he's thinking about doing this. Splitting up the player population is NOT what this game needs! Just spend the money and upgrade the current servers to give better pings for everyone. =/

Gypsy
02-13-2011, 12:58 PM
A great community has been built during beta, and continues to grow. Dividing the community now will hurt the game in a big way!

FabricSoftener
02-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I think one mega large server is best. Yes I understand uber pvp fighting might be coming but 50 ping vs 200ping in this game? I really dont think that is an issue, everyone moves much slower in this game compared.

Niburu
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
The US/EU thing is good but i don't like the different types

Sully
02-13-2011, 01:02 PM
agreed

Shaggy
02-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Definitely a bad idea. Seeing as how this is already quite the niche game, splitting up the server population is suicide IMO. I think they just need to spend the money upgrading the current servers and leave it at that. Only open up new servers when the current one gets FULL.

Sobez
02-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Was anyone around with APB Went live and split There EU and US Community's? Omg was the US community horrible :(

Hampy
02-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Bad bad bad bad x1000000000

Ex0dUs101
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
When it's done, ping will be very important.

Nothing but speculation, very few MMO's have any ping dependant mechanics to the extreme of them needing sub 300ms pings, the only that do are projectile based fps systems usually. We have no clue what will happen to the combat system, what will be changed, or what will be introduced.

I dont like the idea of two servers, I dont see the need, but the decisions been made and its something we need to watch play out now and hope for the best.

Kanthos
02-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Just made a quick poll to get some easily viewable results.

So what's your opinion on it? I'm against it. I have no ping issues and have people in the US I want to play with as well.

Swifty
02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
It's a good idea, but I don't believe it should be done so soon.

Tchey
02-13-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm from France and have between 100 and 500 ping these last days and i think it's good enough to play.

If there is an european server, i'll think about playing on it. I'd prefer only on international and unique server.

I totally disagree with any more special rules servers, this is a terrible idea. Split the (small) community in two is bad enough. More servers will kill the game before it can grows.

Swifty
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
The European server was a curious move as i think we were all expecting an EvE style approach with one server and i think most of us in Euroland would have adjusted okay with the ping.

But what has really hurt Xsyon for myself is the announcement that there will be servers in the future with separate rule-sets, theres nothing worse for myself than a game that creates separate servers for different play styles.

So having become caught up in the hype about this game, where all playstyles looked to have a place in the world in true sandbox tradition, it now looks as though thats not the case, sad panda here. :(

qft

Drevar
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Doesn't a presence in the EU zone mean that Notorious will have to collect and submit VAT charges for Euro players? Seems like a lot of overhead for an Indie company to have to deal with. A "local" option for latency and language reasons is always welcome, but do we have a big enough player base to split it up already?

Drev

Gandhi
02-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I think it is a very bad idea.

Pexez
02-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Making both severs is a very very bad idea, specially with the few population that the game has at the moment. Even on release it would be a bad idea, plus it is something that isn't necessary right now.

FabricSoftener
02-13-2011, 01:47 PM
A few items here:

1. from reading the post from the devs I dont think its up for a vote, its happening so discussion on it is a bit academic.
2. useful travel in this game is very hard (by that i mean moving your stuff). so there are only a few thousand people you could ever reasonably interact with anyway.
3. That said, I do think having effectively 4 servers in the plans (1 EU war, 1 EU pve, 1 NA war, 1 NA pve) might indeed be overally optomistic about the player base but like I said in 2, how many people can you interact with anyway?

deathrament
02-13-2011, 01:48 PM
terrible idea for this type of game!

FabricSoftener
02-13-2011, 01:58 PM
the more I think about this the more I think it will be fine. From the combat I have done I dont yet understand why a ping of 200 vs 50 is really going to make much difference but I will assume I dont have a clue.
With that assumption in place, when you consider that the current map is now almost too small given the current activity I think the current map will be just fine spilt in 2 and they can move the greenzone as they grow in numbers.

Ashfield212
02-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm dying to pre-order, I really am, my only concern is population.. or lack of it, moreso when the European servers are thrown into the mix. I have high hopes for this game, I just can't see how splitting the community (atleast in it's current state) is beneficial.

overhated696
02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
With this decision, i surely wont play and cancel the preorder. I suffered this crap on Darkfall, and wont do it again. Split a independent game comunity is the biggest error ever, hope you change your mind, or this will be the end.

Xsyon
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone!

This is definitely not an expected reaction! I've been getting requests for a European server all year.

I'd like to clarify this situation.

We are preparing a European server in case we need it. As I see this overall negative reaction, if we don't need the second server it will not be turned on until we physically need it. This is not a matter where we can upgrade the machine or bandwidth, we are already going to have the maximum available to us.

I do plan to run a European download server as soon as possible and a trial server will be a necessity for free trials. I will not allow 'free trials' to create the possibility for players to create free accounts that would affect the live Xsyon world.

There will be a point where the Xsyon world can't accomodate the population, and where the population on one server will be too large to form a tight cohesive community.

The original plan that we will follow is to add new lands that run on separate but connected servers (much like what is done with EVE Online), this would effectively create neighborhoods of communities that play together, but this is not something that can be done overnight.

If we grow too fast, we will have to split the world. We are not there yet, of course. I am simply preparing for this scenario. We are growing quickly and as many of you have probably noticed, this is without any advertisement or direct promotion on our part. I've answered a few interviews and announced the launch in early January, but that's all.

If we do need additional servers, nobody will be forced to play on a specific server and players will be allowed to create characters on both servers. It will simply be an option. I was ready to offer than option now rather than later and that's all. If it does not seem necessary it will not be done.

I hope that alleviates the concerns.

wirerzo
02-13-2011, 02:44 PM
People that are voting yes are only doing so for their own selfish reasons. I understand where you are coming from, but reducing your ping by 50ms is not going to make or break your game experience. If this is a case as Virtus has stated that two servers are needed in order two balance server load, why not instead of spending money on setting up new servers in a new location, just spend money on upgrading the current servers? I really, really do not care where they are located, they could be located in Antarctica for all I care, as long as we are all together building our community together.

I come from an Eve background. One of the reasons I love Eve is that I can play with people all over the world. One of my alliances has 1500 people in it. We have people from every continent playing with us, from US, EU, Asia, South America, Africa, Oceanic (yes there is a China server, but it is vastly different from the eve client the rest of the world gets). It is wonderful. Eve started out as a single server and continually over the past 8 years they have upgraded their hardware in order to allow for more people to play on it. Sure there are times where a 500 vs 500 ship battle will have extreme lag, but it has continually gotten better.

I am just upset with this decision, and while I am not going to cancel my preorder just yet, for the first time while following this game I have serious reservations.

EDIT: I just read your reply Jooky and that is good news. Thank you for the response.

Gandhi
02-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Hello everyone!

This is definitely not an expected reaction! I've been getting requests for a European server all year.

We are preparing a European server in case we need it. As I see this overall negative reaction, if we don't need the second server it will not be turned on until we physically need it. This is not a matter where we can upgrade the machine or bandwidth, we are already going to have the maximum available to us.

I do plan to run a European download server as soon as possible and a trial server will be a necessity for free trials. I will not allow 'free trials' to create the possibility for players to create free accounts that would affect the live Xsyon world.

There will be a point where the Xsyon world can't accomodate the population, and where the population on one server will be too large to form a tight cohesive community.

The original plan that we will follow is to add new lands that run on separate but connected servers (much like what is done with EVE Online), this would effectively create neighborhoods of communities that play together, but this is not something that can be done overnight.

If we grow too fast, we will have to split the world. We are not there yet, of course. I am simply preparing for this scenario. We are growing quickly and as many of you have probably noticed, this is without any advertisement or direct promotion on our part. I've answered a few interviews and announced the launch in early January, but that's all.

If we do need additional servers, nobody will be forced to play on a specific server and players will be allowed to create characters on both servers. It will simply be an option. I was ready to offer than option now rather than later and that's all. If it does not seem necessary it will not be done.

I really love you. :)

Finally a developer who listen to the community. Thats one of the biggest strength of this game. :)

fiolaja
02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I think a lot of people might be taking this the wrong way and correct me if I'm wrong. We won't be forced to move to a different server, so everyone that does not want to go can stay on the US server and we won't be split up. But for those that want better game performance in Europe have the option to go to the EU server.

Having the option is good, right?

[Edit] I got this post out too late. Just saw Jooky's post.

Ashfield212
02-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Appreciate your comments Jooky.

Seems more indie developers need a lesson or two from you folks on how to communicate more and respond to community concerns.

Mako_Jak
02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Thank you Jooky for letting us know the deal. It's greatly appreciated!

sudo
02-13-2011, 03:08 PM

First of all, thank you for the post, Jooky.

Please do consider allowing European players to start playing on European server from the very start. I realize that the population on that server will be much lower and I realize that we might even get some patch delays because of lower priority.

Still, having experienced PvPing in other games hosted on US servers, I'd rather take my chances with a server with better connection from the very start, instead of realizing that I want to transfer after a year of gameplay, having to leave my tribe and everything I've done / built in the game on the US server lands.

Thanks in advance.

Loke
02-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Really appriciate the reply Jooky! I think the EVE way is the only way to go for this game! If you can somehow pull that off this game will have no boundries at all!

broo123
02-13-2011, 03:27 PM
wise decision

Jadzia
02-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Thats a relief, thank you Jooky :)

inferno3387
02-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Very bad idea Jooky... This game should be a single server for the entire world, once it maxes out... upgrade the SAME server...

And... NO on making different types of servers... this is suppose to be a sandbox where WE build the interactions between the community not the other way around... Simply give us the tools to build what we want and it will prosper...

Vandali
02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the update. It would be great if a way can be found be to accommodate all under one roof, it will make discovering whats beyond the mist that much more unique if its just on one server and not shared by others. :)

Hampy
02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Very bad idea Jooky... This game should be a single server for the entire world, once it maxes out... upgrade the SAME server...

And... NO on making different types of servers... this is suppose to be a sandbox where WE build the interactions between the community not the other way around... Simply give us the tools to build what we want and it will prosper...

This.

And problems still persiste player A starts in US server, then friends of player A start in EU server because US server is full cant acomodate anymore people...so player A must restart all over in EU server to be able to join his friends...and will have to leave other US friends to play with EU friends...

I mean if its a themepark game with many servers its fine..just restart, but this is a sandbox with evolution, skilling getting older..and restarting from scratch sucks...

Solution: make an EU server with a different map, and make it possible to US and EU players to go back and forth between the worlds..with a loading screen..like if it was 2 different continents.

Joph
02-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Thank you Jooky.

darkrounge
02-13-2011, 04:54 PM
US server will be far more populated. But, at least you'll be around people in your own region.
Not to mention the speed will be a bit faster.

Shaggy
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Looks like the vast majority is against the idea. Hopefully Jooky sees this and decides to just upgrade the current servers instead of adding the EU server.

Klecko
02-13-2011, 05:44 PM
I wish there was only 1 server too.I like playing with the EU peeps.But this is good news.First server is getting near capacity ( more money to hire workers) They will need another server to handle more peeps.So why not put it in Europe,makes sense.
I have to say this is 1 of the best game Community i have ever been apart of.(except that jackass who posted game pictures of his fire pit swastika on mmorpg) I think that is what the outcry was about,nobody wanted to break up the community.

pilok
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
People that are voting yes are only doing so for their own selfish reasons. .

That can also be said of the people who voted no.
They don't want to play in a server that is/feels empty and i'm sure many other reasons why they don't like it.

It's good to add another server when this server is full, but if people want to go to the EU server a year or more from now, after they invested so much time, doubt it.
But it is true that empty servers are often the end of mmo's

inferno3387
02-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Not sure why you guys even would think about a EU server. The combat is very VERY slow so whats the point? Until the combat is faster and requires less ping (aka Mortal Online / Darkfall), there is no point in even thinking about an extra server just for lower ping ms... Only thing the game has right now is walking around and collecting materials and building towns, etc... not alot of action there... The game is slow when moving, its not like you have to build a building faster than the other guy to see who wins...

Does anyone not understand this point??

inferno3387
02-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Solution: make an EU server with a different map, and make it possible to US and EU players to go back and forth between the worlds..with a loading screen..like if it was 2 different continents.

No... Do not want to play another AION / AOC clone where you have to load different zones to see people... everyone should be on the same screen on the same server

otomotopia
02-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Hello everyone!

Hope you guys read this. He said it at 5PM yesterday.

Hampy
02-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Hope you guys read this. He said it at 5PM yesterday.

What he said is the same thing he had said before...there will be an EU server, this game is not what some people expected..a single world sandbox game, that was one of the reasons i liked it...and a very important one, for me ofc.

With this i am disapointed...but its the dev choice...i have a choice also...to not play this game because its a really important factor in my mind that just broke the game for me.

Loke
02-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Before he said that he would implement the European servers at launch. Now hes saying he will only do it if it is nessecery. And hopefully it wont be. I hope he will rethink it and try to do what the EVE devs have done.

otomotopia
02-14-2011, 01:54 AM
What he said is the same thing he had said before...there will be an EU server, this game is not what some people expected..a single world sandbox game, that was one of the reasons i liked it...and a very important one, for me ofc.

With this i am disapointed...but its the dev choice...i have a choice also...to not play this game because its a really important factor in my mind that just broke the game for me.

He will not start the EU server unless the population becomes a problem. On the other bit, explore and find a place to hamlet up in. Or find some like minded people.

pilok
02-14-2011, 02:16 AM

Lets say there is only one server with 10.000 players, i guess that would make you happy.
But when there are two servers, both with 10.000 players, that would make you stop playing?

Tchey
02-14-2011, 02:17 AM
Devs, focus your work on polishing things before the launch date, then make the world bigger as soon as possible in the first weeks of Prelude so there is place for everyone in a single big world, and then add features.

dejagore
02-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Definitely 'NO' to the second server. I can't see even one positive point in such decision. Keeping it on one server, will make this world live 24h/day, as there will be always players active from different time zones in the world (EVE like style).

nebmus
02-14-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm European and just voted no. I would rather see one world that expands with the number of subscribers than several smaller areas not linked together. Ping isn't bad from where I am at, either. 140 ping is totally playable in an mmo.

nebmus
02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Lets say there is only one server with 10.000 players, i guess that would make you happy.
But when there are two servers, both with 10.000 players, that would make you stop playing?

If that's what he means I can understand him in a way. One world just seems more... real. For many, immersion is an important factor in games like these.

krakken
02-14-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm European and just voted no. I would rather see one world that expands with the number of subscribers than several smaller areas not linked together. Ping isn't bad from where I am at, either. 140 ping is totally playable in an mmo.

same here

afterclap
02-14-2011, 04:00 AM
I will play US server cause of my guild, and i dont mind. However i believe it the activity during my hours is a bit worrying if the EU server comes up and every eu timezone moves there. No point playing if too few online when i can be on. Hooe it doesnt come to that cause i dont want to leave my guild and go to EU cause of this. Damnit. Fill the server you have first then think about another one!

pupurun
02-14-2011, 04:45 AM
First of all i am an EU player that has played almost all mmo ever created since sliced bread was famous.
Xsyon is indeed a refreshing new start for a new online experience and i have high hopes for it.
When Jooky announced the EU server i was really happy but now that i read some forum posts it made me realise that yes it would be better to start off with one server and one community.One server, one community..one world .YES i agree.
But until then, please devs...fix the lag/ping dancing! I have played tens of us based mmos and i ve never experienced anything like it before! Ypu get great ping at one time and then you lag just like the titanic is sailing on sand for another. Don't give us EU servers but please stabilise the connection issues.For all(US and EU players)
And before i get qq please let me inform you these:
1)No its not my ISP (i have made numerous testings , plus i also play a few US,EU & Asia based mmo and they ALL give me medium to good STABLE ping
2)Let me remind you that high ping is NOT only an EU thing.Many players from the US are complaining about the same thing.
So this problem is possibly a game client/server thing. Last patch did make things a little better.We could use more fixing though.

BigCountry
02-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Oh no,
this is the worst decision since i joined six month ago. I'm pretty sure this will kill the game. The game will have a really low player base compared to other games and splitting this player base is the worst case scenario. If the only reason for this decision is the ping from some European players (mine is 120 and i'm from germany), then the devs should think about it twice and put more brainpower in a solution like eve online, where the whole world is a big server cluster. I know its a different game but there has to be a solution other then splitting the player base. :/

I really really have to think about twice no if i will play this game. Sad but true. From the start i was thinking that the whole Xsyon world will be one big server.

Anyway, thx for making this decision now, cause making it later would be even worse.

Yeah I am going to have to agree here....

I do not think enough promotion had gone into the game to allow for 2 servers atm.

We will see though. It's a risky move.

dizietsma
02-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Lets be honest here, this is a niche game.
As such, the population probably wont be very high.
It makes no real sense to split the population by having multiple servers.
In my opinion having localised servers will do more harm than good for this game.

BigCountry
02-14-2011, 06:41 AM
I think you can do multiple servers for sandboxes. But only after the game has established itself and people understand and know how to play it (and you have a large pool of players). Then wipes/new servers are fun - and they are most importantly planned and motivated by the veteran players prior. Take Shadowbane for example.

Out of the gate though, we just need 1 server. Myself, along with the majority of people posting on this thread would rather be jammed full on one server suffering though bottlenecks than spread out across 2 servers with no one to interact with.

As a guild also, we would have had to worry about not only where to plant our totem but WHICH server to play on. And without seeing any of the numbers that would of been horrible if you picked the wrong one.

Good call on only rolling with 1 server on Friday.
:D

lmccall
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Please do not split the population by making more than one server. This is already a niche game AS IS, splitting the population is a horrible idea. DO NOT DO IT!

STAR_GOD
02-14-2011, 08:14 AM
DONT DO IT!

Fiku
02-14-2011, 08:37 AM
we are one

Gandhi
02-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Yeah I am going to have to agree here....

I do not think enough promotion had gone into the game to allow for 2 servers atm.

We will see though. It's a risky move.

You know, that the devolopers said, there will be one world server as long as possible? Jooky wrote it in this thread after seeing the huge negative feedback of the community about creating a European server.

dolmong
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I am greatly disappoint about this decision. This will split up so many people as this game is not a main stream game where we won't get as much population as other MMO. I have no lag at all and I played in Asia!!

I do suggest making 2 different lands in both servers that we can go back and forth with the same character, so we all can interact !!

I am so disappointed, and I hope this won't kill the game, or else I see this baby as another epic failure just because of one simple stupid decision who thinks can drag more money from other continents!

Valiar
02-14-2011, 03:06 PM
I am greatly disappoint about this decision.

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/son_i_am_disappoint_trollcat.jpg

I apologize. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyway, I think that opening the EU server at all would be a huge mistake, at any point. If anything, just do a multiple-server-one-world set up, like EVE.

Honelith
02-14-2011, 03:41 PM
I vote for no other server, including PVE or PVP servers. Just a single server to cater for the population, should that server fill up, then a second server should be opened ofcourse. If you're able to do that EVE Online setup of connecting all those servers up, brilliant. Players need players for this type of game to be enjoyable, and I'm glad you'll hold off opening anymore servers unless the capacity demands it.

inferno3387
02-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Did you guys not read my post? Why would we even need a EU server when the game is slow and doesn't demand it (IE this is NOT fast combat like Darkfall and Mortal Online) The only reason to have faster ping is if you want to build a building faster...

PrinceReaper
02-15-2011, 04:43 AM
OH SHIT I VOTED YES, nooo, i thought he was talking about getting the server out of the worst place it could be situated and in a better place in the EU

Stundorn
02-19-2011, 06:17 AM
we should reset the poll aftre the experience from yesterday :D

Cambion
02-19-2011, 06:28 AM

And you should read his post if the world is only capable of suporting limited numbers of players and that destroys the community dynamic, theres no other choice. A number of worlds developing and they will both be sandbox you just won't be able to rule both.
The preffered approach is connected continents which seems like a win win to me.

Larsa
02-19-2011, 06:40 AM
we should reset the poll aftre the experience from yesterday :D

Indeed, I reckon more people would see another server as a positive thing in a new poll. :)

inferno3387
03-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Guess they did make the EU server... sucks

Chavoda
03-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Guess they did make the EU server... sucks

No they dint yet.. just a eu downlaod server.
It might come, unknown as of yet, the email sent indicates its still a option. we know they will /would have a eu backup server maybe we reached the point that its simple needed, maybe we havent yet..soon(tm) we shall know.

Potajito
03-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Please keep it a single shard game!

inferno3387
03-03-2011, 06:53 AM
No they dint yet.. just a eu downlaod server.
It might come, unknown as of yet, the email sent indicates its still a option. we know they will /would have a eu backup server maybe we reached the point that its simple needed, maybe we havent yet..soon(tm) we shall know.

Good thanks for the info. I hope they don't split this game up... like I have said multiple times before (if anyone even read it) The only reason why you need faster ping is for combat, but the combat is not very good in this game and is slow so it shouldn't matter... not like you have to build buildings faster than the person next to you

Plague
03-04-2011, 01:55 AM
This game makes no sense on separate servers. Instancing is better then separate servers. For the love of God (pick yours) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Virtus
03-05-2011, 10:11 PM
thread old, locking