PDA

View Full Version : My Impression of Crafting - A Little Tiresome

TheVampireSlayer
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
So I got the game last Friday and it seemed to ooze potential. However, I am not a huge fan of the crafting system. To me it seems more like a job than anything. What do you guys think? The major problem is that we can barely carry anything which makes carrying back one log at a time essential but also extremely tedious. I understand you are supposed to work with your tribe but it just seems to be more job-like than fun. I wouldn't mind saying that the Apocalypse granted every human with a small degree of supernatural strength and endurance. That would be much more fun, but thus far the game is far too realistic with regard to the tedium to build anything. Idk. What are your thoughts? I'm not flaming the game btw.

Tandarie
02-14-2011, 07:24 PM
My thoughts are you want everything handed to you on a silver platter. It's supposed to be hard. There is supposed to be a challenge.

Furthermore you have got to be kidding with the super powers.... wtf?

FPrime
02-14-2011, 10:50 PM
... but thus far the game is far too realistic...

No.

The realism and attention to detail is a major selling point of this game. I know there will be people that try to water this down, but I hope the developer won't compromise his vision trying to please everyone.

TheVampireSlayer
02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
My thoughts are you want everything handed to you on a silver platter. It's supposed to be hard. There is supposed to be a challenge.

Furthermore you have got to be kidding with the super powers.... wtf?

Wow way to make an assumption and be an asshole at the same time. I'm just saying that it is too tedious in my opinion. That hardly equates to wanting everything handed on a silver platter. Also, the supernatural strength fits into the lore since they are giving us magic and religion-based abilities that will augment our attributes.

Armand
02-15-2011, 12:48 AM
I see your point, and will counter by saying that this way of gathering/crafting resources grants items true value over junk that could be mass produced to no end. Just remember that it takes everyone the same amount of effort and organization to build/craft. The more you put into it, the more it'll pay off. Don;t forget that many features of the game are still turned off, and we're not presented with the full potential of what we're laboring to create.

sionide
02-15-2011, 09:14 AM
So I got the game last Friday and it seemed to ooze potential. However, I am not a huge fan of the crafting system. To me it seems more like a job than anything. What do you guys think? The major problem is that we can barely carry anything which makes carrying back one log at a time essential but also extremely tedious. I understand you are supposed to work with your tribe but it just seems to be more job-like than fun. I wouldn't mind saying that the Apocalypse granted every human with a small degree of supernatural strength and endurance. That would be much more fun, but thus far the game is far too realistic with regard to the tedium to build anything. Idk. What are your thoughts? I'm not flaming the game btw.

Superpowers? What is this Champions Online? You are playing the wrong game.

zettoz
02-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Personally the realism is the main selling point for me, I want to feel like I actually accomplish something if I craft a house, a weapon, a road. I want that immersion to make this seem like an actual world not just a themepark game.

xlinkz
02-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Go to play Dc universe online lol

Honelith
02-16-2011, 06:30 AM
I like the fact you work your butt off to make something, it's a slow process but very rewarding and the emphasis being on group/tribe play, being only able to carry managable amounts at a time is a good thing.

bodangly
02-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I agree with the other posters saying the realism should not be compromised. This system has advantages beyond simply making the game more realistic. It helps mitigate griefing because you aren't likely to get much off a guy who's just gathering resources. It also keeps people moving more often since they will be forced to carry materials more frequently. Being able to simply sit in a spot gathering a ton of resources would have a negative affect on the game's economy as well as making resource botting even easier.

Maligno
02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
I would eventually like the ability to craft wheelbarrows, carts, sleds, barrels, etc. Give people ways to move more larger quantities of goods. At the same time it would make them a prime target to be killed and stolen from, so risk and reward would come into play.

Niburu
02-16-2011, 05:27 PM
It's Sandbox. If you think it is boring ask someone to carry it for you and reward him with armor/weapons whatever he needs ( good job for the many solo players i guess)

Dusinn
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM

When devs start to listen to posts like this, the game is in peril, happened to countless games...

tedrick
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
You mean it happened in UO and then again in SWG. Where people complained the devs respond and the game gets far too easy, and people bail. Which seems counterintuitive. But...

People like it hard. The like to complain about how hard it is. THEY LIKE IT to be able to say I made this grass hat and it took like 10 minutes - it means something to the giver and the receiver. Meaning is hard to find in games. You find a game with meaning and you found something.

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people. Figure you buy tickets to a Metallica concert, but guess who comes out to play -- Yes.

I guarantee that place will be thrashed, they will be mopping up band parts for weeks. So if you want easy -there is a lot of easy out there - whole genre of easy MMOs. If you want hard play this or Xyson or Wurm or ATITD. IN them lies depth and meaning as best as you can find in MMOs.

JCatano
02-18-2011, 01:37 AM
You mean it happened in UO and then again in SWG. Where people complained the devs respond and the game gets far too easy, and people bail. Which seems counterintuitive. But...

People like it hard. The like to complain about how hard it is. THEY LIKE IT to be able to say I made this grass hat and it took like 10 minutes - it means something to the giver and the receiver. Meaning is hard to find in games. You find a game with meaning and you found something.

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people. Figure you buy tickets to a Metallica concert, but guess who comes out to play -- Yes.

I guarantee that place will be thrashed, they will be mopping up band parts for weeks. So if you want easy -there is a lot of easy out there - whole genre of easy MMOs. If you want hard play this or Xyson or Wurm or ATITD. IN them lies depth and meaning as best as you can find in MMOs.

That grass hat needs to make some sort of difference. At the moment, nothing does. The novelty of "Mmm hmmm... It took me some hard ol' work to make that grass hat, son" will wear thin very, very soon.

tedrick
02-18-2011, 05:52 AM
I was sure I was getting some armor or some warmth for grass hat wearing. Or maybe I just look like the VC now.

orious13
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Sorry to derail... but i though SWG was Lucas Art's fault and telling SOE people to do something or another?

ANYWAY...
Vamp it seems like you are thinking in the "solo" box. How about crafting when you're in a 20 man or more guild and such? I find significant ease between 1 extra person... reducing the "tedium" will make 20 men building things so fast.

jumpshot
02-23-2011, 07:27 PM

So some games will play to this crowd and we come for that reason. You change the tune and you will have a bunch of angry people.

This. Keep it hard, keep it rewarding.

And ya, Orious I belive that's teh understood legend about the demise of SWG; some higher-ups that don't know shit about anything said, "we want this to be iconic and WoW, not the great game you've already built that is nothing like either of those." And it was forced to change, and there hasn't been a good game since :/

KeithStone
02-23-2011, 07:34 PM

The way I see it, if they make it to easy to build up our cities, then everyone will be doing it. The point I think is to have cities that are worth a damn, and only the most dedicated tribes will succeed and maintaining their cities.

During beta our tribe made 15k-20k bricks all 1 at a time plus the mortar, and I know there's one tribe that made more than that.

pluzoid
02-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Alot of MMo's are very easy, without challenge, this has been bred into the playerbase, if anything humans are lazy by flaw, i.e. if theres an easier to do something, we'll do it that way (hence remotes for tvs etc).
All MMo's are time consuming, this one its in the gathering, because there arent going to be dungeons and raids to take up your time.
If your not enjoying the experience, then perhaps sandbox mmo's arent really your thing.

Redemp
02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
I enjoy this game because everything done is well rewarded, I get the same sense of accomplishment I did back in EQ when completing some epic task.
Keep the crafting systems in place as they are .... they are well done and keep with the games spirit. On a side note ... I detest cloth gathering, its to difficult for a color blind man to differentiate between a lot of the colors presented ... BUT I simply will have someone else do it for the Tribe because it is necessary.

Some of the funnest moments I've had is trying to bring logs back to camp and being set upon by a pvper .... " Quick drop your logs! Get into combat mode and defend the area!" ... the whole tribe comes running over the hill to defend the log-haulers, pvper runs. MMO Gold

Tehroth
02-24-2011, 08:55 AM
This game is fine the way it is with crafting and I would like to see a more in depth version of it eventually, similar to Mortal online. Right now you can just make low skill stuff and learn all the recipes from just making thread. Hopefully this will be changed with more complex items giving better reward and the easier ones less.

Also I hope that a Master Crafter truly is worth the profession(I did read that they can team with the devs to make stuff). Right now it seems like there aren't very many different types of recipes and everyone can make the same thing.

Silicor
02-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Add me to the list that wants to see the crafting system get deeper and even more complex. However, my wrists would really appreciate less clicks...

zymurgeist
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
The dragging and clicking is excessive. You should be able to craft from inventory and make multiple items without performing the same operations over and over ad infinitum. There's a difference between challenging and merely tedious.

imolital
02-28-2011, 07:58 AM
It makes you cherish the stuff you crafted and think twice when you're deciding between making A or B out of the thing you crafted. Not just hey gather enough mats for 20 of this stuff click craft all and go do your dishes, get a drink, then come back to rinse and repeat. Leave the crafting system as it is. Scroll bar for recipes is all we should ask for.

randomt
02-28-2011, 08:01 AM
It's no less "work" than someone who goes off to 'grind' his fighting skills for pvp.

Also, one person's work might be another person's enjoyable activity.. If it is too much work, maybe you should look into a line of activity that has meaning to you heh

portios7
03-04-2011, 04:07 PM

I see your point but there are much better ways to carry more stuff than lame supa powas :p ... primitive humans had the same problem and all they had was their brain. they used sleds, the wheel, animals etc. while this game aims at being realistic. it is not reality so we are limited by what the devs provide. i sure hope they provide a lot of tools over time to make this game into a rich realistic envirmoent with lots of sand in the box. beeing able to tame animals that help with heavy labor, cargo moving, wagon pulling would be a neat way to aliviate the limited amount of stuff a person can move

Captain_Kirk
03-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Like carrying a huge ass log on your back isnt super powers. Would take at least 2 people to carry something like that if not more.

Gathering resources for buildings isnt stupid in this game (except making cloth tarps). The wierd thing about the crafting system is that you make a shitload of stuff you just destroy anyway for the grind. Id rather see it taking 100x longer to craft something but once its made its valuable.

Larsa
03-06-2011, 01:52 PM
... The wierd thing about the crafting system is that you make a shitload of stuff you just destroy anyway for the grind. ...Well, there's nobody forcing you to grind. There's nobody forcing you to make stuff to throw away. Doesn't sound like you enjoy grinding but obviously you grind. Makes me wonder.

navarrojaida
03-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Hmmmmm... ok, two ways of take this, one is moking of your requests, but i like the other better.

Dude, even when the crafting could be a little overwhelming at the beginning let me tell you, and trust me, when you finally catch the trick it turn to be a very fun feature and really pays. It's tricky i know but don't give up lad, is fun.

Now the interesting thing here for the community is that this guy represents a diferent kind of public, which is more casual player and always look for the easier way, i believe that is better if we all take a little air before answering, after all he can be a young kid and is unfair to asume that everybody has the lvl of knowledge we have of this game so far.

men i need to sleep. ^^

soz for the english.

Samuel
03-07-2011, 10:46 AM
so far the only thing that i don't like about crafting is having to drag everything i need into the crafting window.... i need to use a saw, ok lets find my saw and drag it into the crafting window, i need a log ok drag that into the crafting window, all im saying is we shouldn't need to drag every little thing we're using into the crafting window instead let the game automatically do that for us, other than that i like the crafting system and love how realistic the game is.

FPrime
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
so far the only thing that i don't like about crafting is having to drag everything i need into the crafting window.... i need to use a saw, ok lets find my saw and drag it into the crafting window, i need a log ok drag that into the crafting window, all im saying is we shouldn't need to drag every little thing we're using into the crafting window instead let the game automatically do that for us, other than that i like the crafting system and love how realistic the game is.

You can just right click the tool or material in your inv and it will populate the crafting window automatically. You must repeat this procedure for each crafting click, but there is no need to actually drag anything ever.

Samuel
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
You can just right click the tool or material in your inv and it will populate the crafting window automatically.
thanks for the tip that should make it much easyer. i still think it should populate the crafting window automatically, but i guess right clicking each item isn't as bad as having to drag every item lol

Meldark
03-09-2011, 01:05 AM
It should be possible to do it the other way around.

Instead of right clicking tools and items in your inventory, it should be possible to right click in the crafting window, and the best option was "loaded" into the crafting.
With the possibillity to right click in the inventory to override the automatic choice if you want\need to.

Other than that I think the crafting is as it should be. I don't want the "make x copy of this item" choice, that takes the fun out of crafting.

But a scroll bar would be nice, and maybe a way to sort the recipies, by name or sort or something like that.

Brilliant
03-09-2011, 02:12 PM
I always liked that in Wurm instead of grinding out tons of crap to throw away, you could skill up instead by improving on one thing you had made slowly over time. I don't think it could ever be really macro-ed as such, since you didn't know what your weapon was going to need next to improve it: More hammering? Tempering in water? More heat? Etc. It makes more sense that way, too. If someone is looking to perfect their craft, not just churn out products, they would take more time working on something, testing and improving, and maybe even pulling apart and putting back together.