PDA

View Full Version : [IMPORTANT] - Wipe Time Poll!

GuideRaguel
02-16-2011, 02:48 AM
Hello Community,
As we prepare for the imminent wipe on the 18th of February, we are putting to the community a simple question...

Would you as a player prefer the wipe to be on the Afternoon of Friday US PST or on the Saturday morning US PST?

We ask this due to one reason, if we were to do the wipe on the Friday afternoon, then in the EU time scale this will be around Peak time, as on average the EU are around 5-8 hours in front.
Our thinking is that if we do it on the Saturday morning US PST then we can get this final wipe/update out during non peak times.

Please use the poll to make you're Voice herd.

Thank you.

vazzaroth
02-16-2011, 03:27 AM
I get off at 11 PM on Friday so, in a selfish move, I voted for that afternoon while I'm at work. :D

Ashanti
02-16-2011, 04:18 AM
hi GuideRaguel,

Just a suggestion ... I think that there is a good probability that many people voting for the Friday afternoon wipe are voting for that option simply because they would like to start playing the game as soon as possible (I know me and a couple of my friends did :) ). That being the case ... why not offer the options as Friday morning US PST or Friday afternoon US PST? This way they will both remain a Friday the 18th wipe and launch, prompting many more people to vote for the Friday morning US PST wipe instead of the Friday afternoon US PST wipe. I know I voted for the Friday afternoon wipe, but I would gladly pick Friday morning if given the option. To take this reasoning a bit further, if there was an option for the wipe to be at anytime of the day on Thursday the 17th, I would jump at that one in a heartbeat as well :)

In other words, the sooner the wipe = the sooner we can all start playing = the happier we will all be

Just a friendly FYI. I hope I made sense lol :)

Chavoda
02-16-2011, 04:23 AM
IT will always be a peak time for some country. :) dont care. I wake up or sleep late for it.

blackzilla
02-16-2011, 04:39 AM
I voted Saturday morning. Would be sweet, Fiance is at work all day.

Stundorn
02-16-2011, 04:48 AM
I prefer friday morning, 'cause this would be a launch after lunch for me :-D

GuideRaguel
02-16-2011, 04:55 AM
I prefer friday morning, 'cause this would be a launch after lunch for me :-D

I believe the reason i wasnt given Friday morning as an option, is that the Devs schedule runs right up to the moment of the Wipe, and the wipe is planned for the afternoon.
So in other words, the Wipe wont be ready until atleast Friday afternoon.

We just wanted the communities thoughts on this, as would like to get as many people playing together at the start up as possible.

rixk
02-16-2011, 05:12 AM
In other words, the sooner the wipe = the sooner we can all start playing = the happier we will all be

Yes, let's get this over with..
Friday evening is sooner than saturday morning.. so I chose friday evening.

dlld
02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
as soon as possible lol

Mystais
02-16-2011, 05:49 AM
hi GuideRaguel,

Just a suggestion ... I think that there is a good probability that many people voting for the Friday afternoon wipe are voting for that option simply because they would like to start playing the game as soon as possible (I know me and a couple of my friends did :) ). That being the case ... why not offer the options as Friday morning US PST or Friday afternoon US PST? This way they will both remain a Friday the 18th wipe and launch, prompting many more people to vote for the Friday morning US PST wipe instead of the Friday afternoon US PST wipe. I know I voted for the Friday afternoon wipe, but I would gladly pick Friday morning if given the option. To take this reasoning a bit further, if there was an option for the wipe to be at anytime of the day on Thursday the 17th, I would jump at that one in a heartbeat as well :)

Just a friendly FYI. I hope I made sense lol :)

If it were Friday morning, many players in the US would have to go to work and not be able to get on to help establish their tribe's starting location.

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Aye, I think people have voted for Friday night because that means about, what, 10 EST, 8 MST, 7PST? That'd be absolutely perfect across the Americas.

Ex0dUs101
02-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Many of us have arranged time off friday to be there for the final wipe, after already arranging time off once this week before the final wipe was moved from the 14th.

Its a major inconvenience if you do this again by moving it to Saturday. Voted Friday Afternoon as planned and originally stated.

Stundorn
02-16-2011, 06:03 AM
If it were Friday morning, many players in the US would have to go to work and not be able to get on to help establish their tribe's starting location.
Yeah and if it were friday afternoon or evening, many players in EU would have to go to sleep, as we are about + 8 hours, and we wont be able to...blablabla
and if it were got to XYZ many players in Australia *blup*

This was not a serios suggestion and when i read GuideRaguels comment on this, i think we all should prepare for monday 21st as it was with the last wipe which was planned for a friday :P

edit:
be absolutely perfect across the Americas.
just selfish as i expected

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Wenn die meisten Leute in diesem Spiel waren die europäischen, würde ich zustimmen. WENN. ^_^

Vadio
02-16-2011, 06:52 AM
6 pm PST or 7 pm PST is fine or more early i think

Ashanti
02-16-2011, 06:56 AM
I believe the reason i wasnt given Friday morning as an option, is that the Devs schedule runs right up to the moment of the Wipe, and the wipe is planned for the afternoon.
So in other words, the Wipe wont be ready until atleast Friday afternoon.

We just wanted the communities thoughts on this, as would like to get as many people playing together at the start up as possible.

Hi ... it's meee again lol

I just felt remiss if I didn't mention, and I know this will dissapoint many, but if the Devs are running such a tight schedule to the point that they are "pushing the schedule right up to the moment of the wipe" thereby causing them to potentially release the game in a "not quite so ready to release" fashion, then maybe it would be prudent to just take the extra few days they need for a comfortable, less stressful, release.

I know I do not speak for all of us, but many of us have waited as a much as a year for this launch already ( I remember the original launch was for April of last year). In light of that, what difference would a few more days of wait really make? Just do the right thing and take the time you need for a comfortable, less stressful, release.

TBH, I know that your intentions are good in terms of releasing the game on a weekend so as to allow as many people to participate as possible, but I think that your initial plans to realease during the week were the right thing to do. It would have brought the servers along with less stress. Releasing the game on a weekend may have the adverse effect of stressing and causing havoc to the server causing unecessary crashes throughout the weekend. We may get really upset if the release is delayed a few more days, but not as upset as having to be forced to experience a weekend full of crashes, lags, and server mishaps.

Anyways, I know people will be looking at me sideways for this post lol, but I still love you all and my heart is in the right place for mentioning this, so I guess I am ok with it.

/dons flame retardant suit and runs for away really fast

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 07:05 AM
/chases after with flamethrower
http://www.gotfrag.com/files/upload/ninex_pyro.jpg

mappam
02-16-2011, 07:19 AM
I thought I understood that the final wipe would be Friday Morning.....

So I still vote for Friday Afternoon - BUT what IS afternoon? Are we talking noon Pacific time (3pm Eastern time) or more like early evening?

Raystar
02-16-2011, 07:33 AM
I voted for saturday morning, as many EU I'd love to be able to start together with everybody else...and the only way would probably have the server start in the morning of US west coast.

tredo
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Friday afternoon, more like 17:00 PST / 19:00 CST / 20:00 EST / 01:00 Saturday morning UK time

Chavoda
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Friday afternoon, more like 17:00 PST / 19:00 CST / 20:00 EST / 01:00 Saturday morning UK time
Thats 2am for the rest of europe 3am for the nothern part :P fair deal.

Na I would sugest satherday morning no mather what the poll says. (as everyone will just the first possible date anyway) in the morning the us folks are free and able, the euro folks are free and able. Ausies might have a problem but that you get from living on the cast away prison island ;)

Nurah
02-16-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi,
Writing from Florence (Italy).
Looking at the poll, I understand that the game will start on fri afternoo.
As an european player, I would like the time as, if you start at 5 pm, here it will be 1 am (8 hours of difference) and you can understand the importance to have the exact time.
Thanks for attention :)

•**•.¸(¯`•Nurah•´¯)¸.•**•

Venari
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
As an EU i prefer saturday morning PST cause it will means for me saturdays noon.

V.

TweFoju
02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Saturday Morning, because then it will be Saturday Night here ( almost Sunday ) which is awesome to play

Badaboom
02-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Wipe it now, wipe it now, wipe it naaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhwwwwwwwww (sob).

Jeebus
02-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I chose Friday afternoon. If there is going to be server armageddon as a result of a few people logging in at peak time, then it's better to know about it sooner rather than later. That's what stress testing is for. Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

soris
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
I prefer a afternoon of Friday as European player.

Klecko
02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi ... it's meee again lol

I just felt remiss if I didn't mention, and I know this will dissapoint many, but if the Devs are running such a tight schedule to the point that they are "pushing the schedule right up to the moment of the wipe" thereby causing them to potentially release the game in a "not quite so ready to release" fashion, then maybe it would be prudent to just take the extra few days they need for a comfortable, less stressful, release.

I know I do not speak for all of us, but many of us have waited as a much as a year for this launch already ( I remember the original launch was for April of last year). In light of that, what difference would a few more days of wait really make? Just do the right thing and take the time you need for a comfortable, less stressful, release.

TBH, I know that your intentions are good in terms of releasing the game on a weekend so as to allow as many people to participate as possible, but I think that your initial plans to realease during the week were the right thing to do. It would have brought the servers along with less stress. Releasing the game on a weekend may have the adverse effect of stressing and causing havoc to the server causing unecessary crashes throughout the weekend. We may get really upset if the release is delayed a few more days, but not as upset as having to be forced to experience a weekend full of crashes, lags, and server mishaps.

Anyways, I know people will be looking at me sideways for this post lol, but I still love you all and my heart is in the right place for mentioning this, so I guess I am ok with it.

Same,i cant wait to play for real,but if you had to put it off a day or 2 i think we can get by.
But the sooner we get to play the better.
I voted friday because i want to play but like i said i can wait

wirerzo
02-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Friday afternoon. The sooner the better for me. It looks like I may be able to get most of Friday off work, so by the afternoon I will done and ready to start building our world.

JCatano
02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Friday.

Going out > Xsyon

Saturday mornings... Beer the night before.

Chavoda
02-16-2011, 02:58 PM
Well looks like i be staying up Friday/Saturday 2am+ and get no sleep ;)

Defu
02-16-2011, 03:24 PM
I voted for Saturday morning as 17 PM PST is 3 AM EET which would be the time here.
Allthough if it's around 12 PM to 14 PM on friday, then it's ok.

BigCountry
02-16-2011, 05:52 PM
Friday afternoon. As late in the afternoon as possible. 5-6PM PST would be perfect for pretty much anyone that works 8-5. I know that's late for the UK, but they are use to playing with us yanks during those hours anyway. :D

purifier
02-16-2011, 06:20 PM
well as European player i say Saturday morning.... why ? let me say why not... common sence (as in other game releases) dictates that the start might be delayed (i dont say it will, and ofcourse i hope it wont, this is all worst case scenario thinking). For European players that would mean its getting further and further after midnights forcing some if not many to retire to bed. When that happens on saturday morning, it just will get later in the morning US and later in the afternoon EU.... thats no problem :) and it leaves us all (US+EU) more time to get stationed befure bedtime comes up :)
And the weekend is a good start for a game release, it will give good insight in how the server will handle the first bunch of people (the pre-orderes). Worst case scenario, if the server cant handle it, we might lose a day or two... not a big problem :)
If you'd start the game midweek, lets say monday, the server gets an easier time yes... it will hold itself during the week.... then the weekend hits in, boom peaktime, worst case scenario the server cant handle it.... people exited over the week cant play, might even have to wipe the server meaning a weeks work of players gone... that i say is a bigger problem :P

So i say Saturday morning letting the players and also important the people from Xsyon who will monitor the start, start with fresh energy :)

Whorlok
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Friday morning..;)
we want play...;)

Ceebiddy
02-16-2011, 09:23 PM
Guess it all depends on what time Friday afternoon? Evening would be great as like most have said us 8-5ers will be at work all day :P.

bruisie159
02-17-2011, 04:13 AM
Saturday morning is of course the fairest for most players as far as not starting in the middle of the night (EU) or for some in the US during working hours. Of course people who ARE available during the day (US) on friday will vote for it and of course there will be some fine with staying up all night just to start sooner! But i do thing sat morning is really fairest for all and allows a little extra time for a smooth launch.

Yokilla
02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
fri

Bisjul
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
I like Friday afternoon.

I'm at work, and it gives me something to look forward to.

I work Saturday too.

Friday please.

Tchey
02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
I did preorder the game, but... I can't play before the next week.

If i can't play, i don't want anyone else to play. That's normal since i'm a very important person, right ?

So please, wait for me. I'll not ask again.

boomer0901
02-17-2011, 08:26 AM
maybe someone here knows this, is there going to be a new installer come friday or can we DL the current one, for obvious reason I don't want to have to RE-DL it twice?? anyone?

GuideMihr
02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
It will be a patch,not a new install

boomer0901
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
ty guide much appreciated.

Haakhen
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Please make it Saturday morning, this way it works for both US and Euros..

Most people will be off work cause it's weekend, and it won't be too late in EU.

Friday afternoon is gonna be pretty late in EU, so please look away from the poll and do what is best for everyone.

dlld
02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
If you are worried about your spot being taken staying up on a friday night shouldn't be a problem.

Then when you wake up on saturday you can immediately log in and play the rest of the weekend, If it started saturday morning say 9am pst that would mean for me the server would come up at 5pm.. I was already disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play on friday don't take almost the entire Saturday away too lol.

Haakhen
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
If you are worried about your spot being taken staying up on a friday night shouldn't be a problem.

Then when you wake up on saturday you can immediately log in and play the rest of the weekend, If it started saturday morning say 9am pst that would mean for me the server would come up at 5pm.. I was already disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play on friday don't take almost the entire Saturday away too lol.

People forget to think about others' than themselves in a poll like this, even though you are Swede and have no problem staying up all night, some of us can't, if you look at the big picture, then Saturday morning is fair for everyone.

Jeebus
02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
It's not selfish to answer the actual poll question honestly though.

Haakhen
02-18-2011, 05:38 AM
It's not selfish to answer the actual poll question honestly though.

No but the outcome is obvious, the hardcore gamers who have no problem staying up all night wants it as soon as possible, where as those who can't do that would like it to be at a time where everyone can start at the same time.

I just think it's more fair Saturday

Rocky
02-19-2011, 10:31 PM
So will it be a total server wipe or just characters?

Atreyu
02-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Isnt this poll now irrelevant as the wipe has already happend, or have i missed something/!?!!

jumpshot
02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
It's past the 18th of February shoudl this still be stuck?

Sabina
02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Might have been a good idea to have had another option of "I dont care" I am located in Australia, it wouldnt matter to me what time the wipe was