PDA

View Full Version : homesteads are in! :)

Phayz
02-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Update February 16

EDIT: There is one problem left over from the last build. A glitch caused scheme data to save multiple times and this is causing some players to time out during loading. The server has been fixed, however I would need to wipe the database to clear out the duplicated data. If you are getting stuck, deleting your character fixes this problem.

The server and client have been updated.

Features and Revisions

- /unstuck command Yes, it's about time! You can now /unstuck yourself to teleport 5 meters ahead if you're trapped in a tight spot. This command can be used only once every 3 minutes and the timer is set if you are at all in combat.

- Tribes and Homesteads. The separation of Tribes and Homesteads is set up. Homesteads require only one player but do not expand. They can be placed close together. Tribes require 5 members and require a maximum space between tribes.

- Tribe timers. There is now a time limit of 6 hours between creating tribes. There is a 30 minute tribe limit between joining tribes. So think carefully after the final wipe before you select and place your totems!

- Safe starting locations. The starting locations (including the new Founder's Isle location) are now small safe zones to prevent griefing these spots right after the final wipe. These will be removed after tribes settle in and once we add a feature where tribes can select themselves as starting locations for new players.

- Display for who hunted, gathered, scavenged items (as long as they are not merged). This will be used for the quest system in the near future to ensure the questor actually hunts and gathers the required items.

Fixes

- Merging of objects corrected for merging quality and durability.

- Twigs can be properly used in crafting now.

That's all for now!

Great news everybody can be happy now

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 03:24 AM
I'm glad he found a solution. Plus, if homesteads are small, they won't interfere with the land grab by actual tribes too much.

vazzaroth
02-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Huge thanks for 5 player tribes! Now I can play with my co-workers (Not quite 10)! Huzzah!

Vandali
02-16-2011, 03:32 AM
/unstuck into a fortified settlement once gates are in? ;)

lolomc
02-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Nice but 30 min to rejoin a tribe is a bit low.

parkezu
02-16-2011, 03:39 AM
Sorry if I'm asking a question previously talked about but what is the Founder's Isle location?

GuideRaguel
02-16-2011, 03:44 AM
Sorry if I'm asking a question previously talked about but what is the Founder's Isle location?

The Founders Isle is located in the middle of the Lake.

Doc
02-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Im glad that this is settled and everyone can start playing on same day.

shukes
02-16-2011, 05:03 AM
Yes well done for getting it all sorted and also an added bonus that homesteads can be placed quite close! so maybe soloers can expand with friends.

dukaal
02-16-2011, 05:06 AM
What If i start a tribe with 5, and start building. Then 1 or 2 members quit. Do I lose my tribe status?

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 05:12 AM
^ Good question.

Also, there's no island in Lake Tahoe. WTF?!

*Edit* Derp. Fannette Island.

Honelith
02-16-2011, 05:18 AM
Way to go devs, nice positive changes there.

Maliqe
02-16-2011, 06:03 AM
Will homesteads be able to transform into towns/tribes if more members are added?

Ex0dUs101
02-16-2011, 06:07 AM
EDIT : I cant read

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 06:11 AM
Will homesteads be able to transform into towns/tribes if more members are added?

I don't think so, because that can cause overlap with other tribes/homesteads nearby.

shukes
02-16-2011, 06:15 AM
ye i think its fair to say if a small tribe wants to expand then they need to relocate if there isnt room......just as in RL.

Especially as they have said that homesteads can be set much closer to each other. This in itself could create townlike communites.

Actually quite exciting!

Ex0dUs101
02-16-2011, 06:20 AM
I don't think so, because that can cause overlap with other tribes/homesteads nearby.

oo thats a very good point, really got me curious now, didnt think of that. Looking forward to a dev response on this one! *hint hint nudge nudge devs*

Doc
02-16-2011, 06:24 AM
"Homesteads require only one player but do not expand."

There you go.

As far as conversions go, anytime tribe drops below 5 members it should automatically disband.

Ex0dUs101
02-16-2011, 06:26 AM
"Homesteads require only one player but do not expand."

There you go.

Well spotted, my reading comprehension is terrible this morning, I think I need to go back to bed for an hour lol

Mystais
02-16-2011, 06:35 AM
My only concern is that someone can still place a homestead on a prime spot prohibiting a tribe from placing there. True or not?

Example: After wipe, a player logs in and rushes out to a spot and places a homestead on a spot previously used by a larger tribe. Hours later his buddies log on and they form a tribe and then he deletes the homestead and they place a tribe on that spot. The previous tribe had the tribe already created but the homesteader just happened to get there a minute sooner.

Dust
02-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Of course they did. I knew all the way tommyboy was making stuff up. He was confusing his vision of the game and the devs's one. Still, I am sure the game lost quite a few players because of this miscommunication. I almost asked for a refund.

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Simply, just move the tribe post to a slightly different location that still has the benefits you're looking for. Usually, that's running water and a scrap pile. Get the most of both and mess with the guys until they pack up.

*edit* Tommy, you're like a friggin genie with that...

Mystais
02-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Simply, just move the tribe post to a slightly different location that still has the benefits you're looking for. Usually, that's running water and a scrap pile. Get the most of both and mess with the guys until they pack up.

Oh there would definitely be some 'messing'.

Mystais
02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Where does it say homesteads can be placed the first day?

Ahh... if this is the case and homestead creation is delayed a bit, then never mind.

krakken
02-16-2011, 06:56 AM
Great news!
thanks a lot for implementing homesteads so fast

Dust
02-16-2011, 06:59 AM
There's still time, nub!

You're right, there still time! Good thing you are here to tell me!

dlld
02-16-2011, 08:05 AM
- Tribes and Homesteads. The separation of Tribes and Homesteads is set up. Homesteads require only one player but do not expand. They can be placed close together. Tribes require 5 members and require a maximum space between tribes.

This seems to be the case between homestead and tribe as well I basically needed half a zones distance between my homestead and the nearest (old 1man) tribe. So I assume the reverse is also true tribes wont able to place their tribe unless there's half a zone between them and a homestead, seems problematic to me. You should be able to put a home stead so its territory just about touches a tribes maximum territory IMO and vice versa.

Edit: unless the maximum tribe size actually is the size of a zone side to side.. no idea actually lol.

shukes
02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
My only concern is that someone can still place a homestead on a prime spot prohibiting a tribe from placing there. True or not?

Example: After wipe, a player logs in and rushes out to a spot and places a homestead on a spot previously used by a larger tribe. Hours later his buddies log on and they form a tribe and then he deletes the homestead and they place a tribe on that spot. The previous tribe had the tribe already created but the homesteader just happened to get there a minute sooner.

Hopefully we will see a lot of clever tactics like that.
Dont take me the wrong way i dont support griefing but clever planning i do. its a race people, some will win, some will lose.
The wipe means wipe. The game starts from year 0! there has been np planning up untill that point. This should be where Xyson starts. so get to your choice spots and graft your little forts up!

But dont forget the tribe that is already formed can just plant a totem as close as they can to the homestead, then the guy delets and trys to plant a tribe there....you are to close to another territory.
Homesteads are much smaller footprints than tribes friend.

shukes
02-16-2011, 08:13 AM
ahh i was presumming they were implementing them from the off now.....didnt read that i just presumed :)

Oh well never mind maybe the tribes do need a helping hand from the start! just cant see why they are going to do a wipe in the first place? if your wiping make everyone start again....if you want tribes to have thier spots, then why wipe?

I will be tribed at the start but kudos to the hardcore soloers that dont need the headstart help....take my hat of to you all :)

Phayz
02-16-2011, 08:15 AM
homesteads are in now actually

Dust
02-16-2011, 08:27 AM
ahh i was presumming they were implementing them from the off now.....didnt read that i just presumed :)

Oh well never mind maybe the tribes do need a helping hand from the start! just cant see why they are going to do a wipe in the first place? if your wiping make everyone start again....if you want tribes to have thier spots, then why wipe?

I will be tribed at the start but kudos to the hardcore soloers that dont need the headstart help....take my hat of to you all :)

Don't worry about tommyboy, he is still in denial. :)

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Don't worry about tommyboy, he is still in denial. :)

We'll see on friday. They're available now, but what about after wipe?

Dust
02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Dust....I'd be pleased to eat my words if you could show me where the policy of delaying homestead placements has been removed.

It's the wish of the devs tommy, there is nothing to do about it! This is how they see the vision of the game! But I can only direct your attention the the opening post for your answer (or, you know, go to the proper forum section). Now I bet we all agree we need an official, clear and detailled answer from someone who do know about all this.

otomotopia
02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
/tags in I should clarify for him: Provide proof that that homesteads will be available directly after wipe- aka that on saturday, sunday, and monday homesteads will be place-able.

/tags out

Chavoda
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
Its bin stated before, -IF- he could not get homesteads to work he would only allow ten ( or a bit smaller) tribes to settle the first days ( never bin any mention how many days that actually are) however He also stated that he would do his best to get homesteads in the game before that so that everyone would be able to partake in the land rush. anyone in denial and still thinking homesteads will not be active on Friday is going to be surprised in a bad way.

this was were the whole crap about tribes being only able to drop totems started, that solo's were left out as they would else claim to many land. (same area as a ten man tribe) he "fixed" it , and im fairly sure homesteads will be in now else there was no rush to fix it anyway eh.. but meh we will see how things go

Dust
02-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Its bin stated before, -IF- he could not get homesteads to work he would only allow ten ( or a bit smaller) tribes to settle the first days ( never bin any mention how many days that actually are) however He also stated that he would do his best to get homesteads in the game before that so that everyone would be able to partake in the land rush. anyone in denial and still thinking homesteads will not be active on Friday is going to be surprised in a bad way.

this was were the whole crap about tribes being only able to drop totems started, that solo's were left out as they would else claim to many land. (same area as a ten man tribe) he "fixed" it , and im fairly sure homesteads will be in now else there was no rush to fix it anyway eh.. but meh we will see how things go

This, I was about to say something similar. He said IF he was not able to make it work, and now they work. It's 1+1, funny how tommy say I have a poor reading skills but he can't do the math.

Dust
02-16-2011, 09:59 AM
You still haven't shown me where this is stated. I have looked and can not find it.

You are taking what some guy who can't even spell "been" said as gospel...

Again, I'm happy to have solo players to keep prisoners in their homesteads...just show me where this was stated.

Edit: Yes, your reading skills are poor. Why? Because I am not refuting the logic behind what he says if it is true, I am asking for someone to show me where this was stated as I have not been able to locate that update/post.

Yeah don't worry about my reading skill, it's deliberate. Whenever I speak to someone I try to answer in the same way my interlocutor is speaking. Yesterday you were completly ignoring legetimate question and answering something else. Did anyone told you how poor your reading skill were then? No? Do you know why? No again? Well I know why, this simple idea probably never even crossed your mind: people around here are simply smarter/more mature than you. I am not talking about me there, I saw some really well put post with good question and you just answer with some witty comment about not getting the game.

Aslo, I am a frenchie, figure the rest for yourself.

Tommyboy!

FabricSoftener
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
wouldnt it be hysterical if all this gets ironed out in the large tribes favor. They place totems in the best spots in the game, build up huge villages quickly, empty out their local resource, then the green zone moves and we find out that even better spots are back there and all the soloers with their homesteads they have been bitching about get free reign on prime spots.

The game is currently 120sq km expandable to 1200sq km.
people, get a grip!

Marcus
02-16-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah don't worry about my reading skill, it's deliberate. Whenever I speak to someone I try to answer in the same way my interlocutor is speaking. Yesterday you were completly ignoring legetimate question and answering something else. Did anyone told you how poor your reading skill were then? No? Do you know why? No again? Well I know why, this simple idea probably never even crossed your mind: people around here are simply smarter/more mature than you. I am not talking about me there, I saw some really well put post with good question and you just answer with some witty comment about not getting the game.

Aslo, I am a frenchie, figure the rest for yourself.

Tommyboy!

Actually, many people would just classify him as a troll. Its unfortunate its the week of the headstart, because i would like to think the mods would have put an end to it, but I'm sure they are quite busy.

Dust
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Actually, many people would just classify him as a troll. Its unfortunate its the week of the headstart, because i would like to think the mods would have put an end to it, but I'm sure they are quite busy.

Yup, I was wondering why he was just insulting everyone and keeping his posting privilege and then came to the same conclusion as you.

tredo
02-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Homesteads and Tribal totems will be placeable 'directly' after the wipe, let's hope! Got to keep a positive attitude guys. Why is everyone trying to banter over who can do this and who can't? Why not just play the game?

FabricSoftener
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Homesteads and Tribal totems will be placeable 'directly' after the wipe, let's hope! Got to keep a positive attitude guys. Why is everyone trying to banter over who can do this and who can't? Why not just play the game?

I am not sure why everyone is so passionate about this.

It might turn out better to roam anyway. Place a camp, use up the resources, craft your way up, sell the goodies for what you need, move to next spot. Then finally when they move the greenzone capture areas that are better than what the large tribes have.

That said, there really isnt anything of value one can convert their loot to that makes moving a camp not a huge deal. Usually just leave it and thank the area for the skill gain only.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM

It's clearly Ninja Magic.

What time does the wipe occur? I'll need to go on WebMd.com to figure out some sort of illness if it's between 6-4 central.

FabricSoftener
02-16-2011, 10:36 AM
It's clearly Ninja Magic.

What time does the wipe occur? I'll need to go on WebMd.com to figure out some sort of illness if it's between 6-4 central.

That was classic!

'migranes' usually work.

b0ngw4t3r
02-16-2011, 10:42 AM
I am asking for someone to show me where this was stated as I have not been able to locate that update/post.
I think Dust is referring to this thread: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3299-Catering-to-one-over-another , replies are on page 6 of the thread.

That is what I am setting up.

The plan to let tribes place totems first is to prevent griefing. Another potential solution is to now allow players to place a totem, then disband, then place, disband etc. which is too easy for solo players to do. If I can implement this then solo players will be able to start tribes the same day as tribes.

+

Yes, this is what I'd like to do, if I can. The announced solution is to prepare everyone in case I don't have time. There are many things that need to be dealt with right now.

The main issue is not simply a solo totem claiming a lot of land. With the reduced land claim that should be ok. The main issue is other griefing tactics that have come to my attention.
I think he found solutions to both problems, but I don't care either way since our tribe lands are far enough out of the way that even if we didn't have enough people to start one we don't have to worry about someone else claiming them either. ;)

Delvie
02-16-2011, 11:34 AM
I am not sure why everyone is so passionate about this.

It might turn out better to roam anyway. Place a camp, use up the resources, craft your way up, sell the goodies for what you need, move to next spot. Then finally when they move the greenzone capture areas that are better than what the large tribes have.

That said, there really isnt anything of value one can convert their loot to that makes moving a camp not a huge deal. Usually just leave it and thank the area for the skill gain only.

Exactly what I've been thinking for the last few days. Actually leery of some of the big tribes now because they are so tied to their perfect spot. One of the things I'm looking most forward to in this game is that it will evolve whether it be skills being added or land being expanded or whatever. Right now decided to relax and sit back with a nice bowl of popcorn.

Dust
02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Really? The people I have posted back and forth with are guilty of the same thing you condemn me for, including yourself.

umadbro?

meh

Dust
02-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Yea I like this bro pic too.

orious13
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
lol... that pic is epic.

Anywayz this is good news. I'm with Fabric, though. It wasn't really a big deal for me in the first place. People were just a little too scared imo... no offense :).

outfctrl
02-16-2011, 12:38 PM
The only thing that really concerns me about homesteads is once I have placed one and assuming it is in a good location, could I be griefed into moving by a near by tribe?

Dust
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
The only thing that really concerns me about homesteads is once I have placed one and assuming it is in a good location, could I be griefed into moving by a near by tribe?

I don't think so, the game would be too unfair if this was allowed. The tribe would suddently have control over your baskets and everything not on you at the moment.

outfctrl
02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think so, the game would be too unfair if this was allowed. The tribe would suddently have control over your baskets and everything not on you at the moment.

I am talking about ganking me in the area consistantly where I would move

outfctrl
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
You can be griefed by anyone.

I think what you meant to ask was "If I place my homestead near a tribe who doesn't want me there, are they allowed to make my life hell within the confines of the game mechanics until I move?"

The answer is yes.

You'd be better served by waiting 2 days to place your totem.

You are right

ifireallymust
02-16-2011, 02:06 PM
So, except for tommyboy's temper tantrum griefer launch day plans, are we all set to homestead on Friday?

Doc
02-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Seems so :)

sionide
02-16-2011, 04:07 PM

That was my first thought when I read that as well.

Drevar
02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
All /unstuck uses should be logged: character, date and time, start position and end position. Any petition against a player for exploiting /unstuck could then be compared to the logs and appropriate action taken against that player.

Drev

Chavoda
02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
First need a unstuck command to begin whit... ;) Or did I miss a small update and is it active ? :)