PDA

View Full Version : Unoffical Xsyon Wiki

Virtus
03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I would like to announce that R*Bomb has so graciously spent the last few weeks of his free time to create a dedicated Wiki for Xsyon: http://xsyonwiki.com

I will repeat what R*Bomb is about to mention. Wikis can ruin a game and the sense of discovery, R*Bomb has been generous enough to adhere to the request of removing any content that would ruin this aspect for Xsyonians (sounds good to me).

R*Bomb

Xsyon Wiki

Nearly every game has their own dedicated wiki. Some of these wiki's are based at Wikia, while others were lucky enough to get their own dedicated website. Xsyon will be one of the lucky few. The goal of a wiki is to inform a player or a concerned person on information about the game. Our goal is simple. We are going to provide every piece of information, sorted in a easy to navigate format, which will not only save you time, but will also save you the frustration of digging in hundreds of forum posts for meager pieces of information.

MMO's for the most part, are all about the sense of discovery in the new world the player has entered. Most wiki's unfortunately, end up spoiling this sense of discovery through the information presented on the wiki. Our goal with the wiki is to prevent what would be considered as a "spoiling" piece of information from making its way onto the website. We will provide information such as: Statistical information, Environmental information, Economical information. We will NOT provide any locations that players may not already know.

For our community: I have made a section on the wiki for players to make themselves wiki pages. Here you may want to say who you are, how epic you are, and hey... maybe you just want your character to have a back story?

Examples: http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Category:The_Community

To Those Who Want to Contribute

There are many people who would like to contribute but are unable to figure out how... guess what? We have an entire wiki that needs information on more or less everything. Editing a wiki page or creating a wiki page is as simple as clicking "edit" on the relevant page. Lets say you wanted to make the page "RBOMB" you would navigate to the page "http://xsyonwiki.com/w/RBOMB" and click "edit"/"create this page". The Xsyon wiki does not require you to know the wiki page codes. It contains a embedded rich editor for your convenience. So really, if you can edit a text document, you can make a wiki page.

If you find editing wiki pages complicated, have no fear! As long as you can get the information onto the article and save it, that is all you need to do! My team and I will clean up your article and add it to the appropriate category. Other issues, such as being unable to make images display and other issues, just put a link to your image within the article, and we will sort it out for you. All the adjustments to your page will be made within 24 hours of creation.

To Tribes/Guilds

Many guilds have found it beneficial to make their guild their own wiki page to assist in recruitment and spreading their word. Feel free to do the same as some other guilds have already done.

Tribes: http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Category:Tribes

Support

If you need support regarding the wiki, you can find me nearly always, on the Official Xsyon IRC Channel. Or you can email me at rbombster@gmail.com

Short Version

For the short version please scroll to the top of this page.

Xsyon Wiki Manager,
R*BOMB

MrDDT
03-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Nice work Rbomb

Dominus
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Looks good. Thanks RBomb & Virtus.

Villa
03-11-2010, 05:37 PM
lol nice work but it doesnt say anything about the tribe tribe lol

R*BOMB
03-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Villa wrote:

lol nice work but it doesnt say anything about the tribe tribe lol

Sure it does:

To Tribes/Guilds

Many guilds have found it beneficial to make their guild their own wiki page to assist in recruitment and spreading their word. Feel free to do the same as some other guilds have already done.

Villa
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
lol it still doesnt say anything about teh tribe tribe lol

Dominus
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Numbnuts, each tribe has to do it themselves...

Villa
03-11-2010, 06:02 PM
lol \\effort

Chuteboxe39
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
awesome work thank you R*Bomb.

darkrounge
03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Absolutely, great work!!
I'm going to post a few things in there.

Cradlejoe
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Can I suggest that you change the colour scheme to match wikipedia.org
I think all Wikis just cool so much better like that. Besides, it's there to be informative, not all prettied up :)

darkrounge
03-12-2010, 12:29 PM
So then why change it?

:P

Cradlejoe
03-12-2010, 01:25 PM
darkrounge wrote:

So then why change it?

:P

Because it makes it all simple. I've only ever liked the wiki for Wurm and that's just a standard black and white.

darkrounge
03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
True,

But that'd mean R*Bomb doesn't have something to be proud about lol.
He's basically the wiki mystro XD

I see what you mean though, i also like it plain and standard.
I think we only like it like that because we know what were doing and it's easier to navigate through stuff due to the original wiki being that colour scheme.

Virtus
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Being kind of ungrateful guys. He spent a lot of his free time working on the wiki for about a week or 2 and is making an IRC bot and all you do is find stuff to complain about.

Cradlejoe
03-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Virtus wrote:

Being kind of ungrateful guys. He spent a lot of his free time working on the wiki for about a week or 2 and is making an IRC bot and all you do is find stuff to complain about.

You're right.

This does seem the kind of game where new players will need a ton of information for them to get their ball rolling so Kudos to Rbomb! You have done the game a great service!

Don't listen to our petty bickering of colour schemes, we are inferior :(

R*BOMB
03-12-2010, 03:11 PM
The theme is by no means final, that's given. The content right now is priority, and once it is more complete I will be giving the theme a do over.

Most of my time in the past two weeks have been working on the "behind the scenes" of the wiki, to make it as easy to use and edit as possible. Later today i will be making a comprehensive guide on how to edit the wiki and how to create a new wiki page, as i know that has been a problem for... pretty much everyone who has attempted to make a page... accept LSky... props to LSky.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed, and 100% of this weeks spare time (i admit... i wont have much spare time this week)will be spent on writing content for the wiki... once again any help with this task, no matter how good the quality is, is much appreciated.

Just a very important note to everyone: If you are making yourself a page on the wiki, please do NOT make it under your accounts "user" page, as this will cause complications and i will not add it to the community category. Please make a new article entirely for yourself.

http ://xsyonwiki .com/w/ <your name>

Your article should however, be made from YOUR account to help prevent fraudulent articles. if you would like your private article locked, please leave a note at the bottom of your article stating so, and it will be processed within 24 hours.

-R*BOMB

Virtus
03-12-2010, 03:39 PM
had to break it up, the code command was breaking the forums somehow

kiwibird
04-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Wiki: Unarmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Unarmed_Combat)

The Unarmed Combat section auto-magically reformats the page to:
UnArmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Armed_Combat)

When it should be:
Unarmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Uarmed_Combat)

kiwibird
04-06-2010, 01:22 AM
I have also noticed we may have another problem.

Skills: Hunting
Economy: Craft: Hunting

Can we have a clear means of separating Hunting in terms of the skill and hunting in terms of a Craft...

Or is it as simple as Hunting_(Skill) and Hunting_(Craft)

As a precaution I wont add the Hunting (Skills) place holder to the wiki section, but it is a skill that can be entered.

Selzi
04-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Looks good.

Edit: Aw I put a new page after someone asked a question. I hate it when people do that to me, so I'll put it here!

kiwibird wrote:

I have also noticed we may have another problem.

Skills: Hunting
Economy: Craft: Hunting

Can we have a clear means of separating Hunting in terms of the skill and hunting in terms of a Craft...

Or is it as simple as Hunting_(Skill) and Hunting_(Craft)

As a precaution I wont add the Hunting (Skills) place holder to the wiki section, but it is a skill that can be entered.

R*BOMB
04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
kiwibird wrote:

Wiki: Unarmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Unarmed_Combat)

The Unarmed Combat section auto-magically reformats the page to:
UnArmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Armed_Combat)

When it should be:
Unarmed Combat (http://xsyonwiki.com/w/Uarmed_Combat)

Looks great Kiwibird! I am aware of the bug though, the solution is simple. To avoid mistaken linking, all you have to do is add <nowiki></nowiki> tags around the affected word, within the WikiText

I have been trying to make the auto linking script smarter... but... i have been failing at the task.

Your second question i don't understand clearly... but i have a good idea. Separating unrelated topics with the same name should be done the same as it is on Wikipedia. That is to say, to separate, lets say hunting from skill and craft, it would indeed be "as simple as Hunting_(Skill) and Hunting_(Craft)" The underscores are not needed though, spaces will do just fine.

In terms of my work on the wiki, school is almost over, just 2 more weeks, and then i shall once again, have too much time on my hands.

Thank you everybody for your contribution to the Wiki!

darkrounge
04-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I've added a personal bio there regarding me :)...
Might contribute a bit more to spice things up a little.

kiwibird
04-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Ah thanks R*Bomb, was going to do that, but didn't want to create things and have to be deleted later.

As for the work, well its not much, just place holders, but it may be worth while later on to know that we knew those skills even before the game actually launched :P Personally I just like to know that there are skills and that the order of such skills are grouped, nothing worse than skills left right and centre!

[edit=1]
I have created the Hunting_(Skill) page, and a Hunting page link to both (Skill), and (Craft) pages. The (Craft) page has not been created as no information is made, but hopefully there is a special page that can detect 'referenced pages that have no content'; far to early to be doing work lol.

Selzi
04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
R*BOMB wrote:

In terms of my work on the wiki, school is almost over, just 2 more weeks, and then i shall once again, have too much time on my hands.

I want to offer you help but, I'm sure you can handle things! And I'm not that great myself. I'm an admin on a wiki (http://www.crygaia.com/wiki/) for another MMO. But I don't do that much work anyways. But I hope to see yours do well! Maybe I'll want to talk to you about the exciting world of wikis some day.

R*BOMB
04-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Selzi wrote:

R*BOMB wrote:

I want to offer you help but, I'm sure you can handle things! And I'm not that great myself. I'm an admin on a wiki (http://www.crygaia.com/wiki/) for another MMO. But I don't do that much work anyways. But I hope to see yours do well! Maybe I'll want to talk to you about the exciting world of wikis some day.

There is more work than a single person can do, any contribution is greatly appreciated.

R*BOMB
05-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Just like to congratulate Augir who is a new admin on the wiki, and also would like to thank him for his massive contribution to the wiki (~250 pages). Again I remind everyone that ANY contribution is greatly appreciated.

Also, I personally would like to apologize to the community. I personally have not done much for the wiki over the past few months, and I do not see much coming from me in the future as well. I have been very sick for the past few months and i see no sign of improvement in the near future. I will however continue doing as much as I comfortably can.

Sorry to all those who wanted a wiki asap.... but fear not, as today has shown there is still hope for the wiki, and it is people like Augir who are making it possible.

Also if you are interested in moderating and what not, I am always looking for people to do the job.

R*BOMB

KeithStone
10-27-2010, 06:19 AM
this is all good, but eventually someone is going to create a wiki and provide ALL the information anyway, so trying to limit it on r-bomb's wiki is just going to hurt him later on. They will stop using his limited wiki site and start using one that has more information.

kiwibird
10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Is there such a thing currently? I would love to see one wiki for this game, my personal view is it should be hosted here, but that is not my choice to make... I can help moderate it, and perhaps if needed be an admin, however I don't know much about wiki's behind the scenes.

My view is that players need to focus on one wiki, not spilt the information into pieces.