PDA

View Full Version : Stats

zettoz
02-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Anyone have any idea what all of the stats in this game do? I have yet to see a reason to pick up any perception, charm, or faith.

And if they are useless stats currently will we be able to respec at a later time?
I am asking because I wish to be a tribal healer in the end but I do not want to spend useless points and stick with them if they will do nothing for months.

Burnt
02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I am in a very similar position to you, as I am planning to be my small tribes gather/architect/healer/cook, and I would like to know some more specifics about those points, as the character creation guide is very vague. I know the dev's like to keep us in the dark though, so I am not sure who will be answering these questions. (unless a dev does)

orious13
02-16-2011, 09:28 PM
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/2953-Character-Creation-Guide?highlight=stats

?

Some of it won't be in until later, but stats are supposed to change dynamically eventually. Like if you log all the time you lose charm but gain strength. If you tame all of the time you lose agility and gain charm etc. (I made that up, but there's going to be a lose/gain for everything).

Burnt
02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
I am in a very similar position to you, as I am planning to be my small tribes gather/architect/healer/cook, and I would like to know some more specifics about those points, as the character creation guide is very vague. I know the dev's like to keep us in the dark though, so I am not sure who will be answering these questions. (unless a dev does)

yeah... I did say the guide was a bit lacking, but i would not be surprised if that is the most info we have :D

blackzilla
02-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Perception is key to max if you want scavenging to go smooth. It currently works.

Vadio
02-17-2011, 06:05 AM
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7192/statsra.jpg

Vadio
02-17-2011, 06:05 AM
double post...

BigCountry
02-17-2011, 07:46 AM
what about items? I cannot seem to determine what I am wearing affects anything? Bone armor for example. Different weapons doing more damage what have you not.

is everything just for "looks" atm?

zettoz
02-17-2011, 09:06 AM
seems faith and charm are useless atm and should be removed from prelude

Tchey
02-17-2011, 09:12 AM
What if I want to be a "healer" or a "guru" when new features come to game ? Do i have to plan ahead and raise Charm and Spirit, or i can count on a /respec later ?

I'd really appreciate a Dev intervention here.

zettoz
02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
That is my thoughts exactly I was hoping to sort of a religious leader/healer but it seems if the stats are useless I am going to be at a huge huge disadvantage for a good portion of the game until they are usable. If I could respect later to do what I wanted I would feel much better but I don't want to have to plan ahead for now ad be unable to do anything with the stats.

Jeebus
02-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Same with pole-arms. I hope that when they finally implement them there is a respec, even a one-time-only one, will kinda suck to have everyone start at 5.

Vadio
02-17-2011, 09:30 AM
@RP natives discovery specials magic stones send by Good Gods to help reconstruct civilization
this stone found anywhere but can use each 4.5year ( 6 moth ) because magic bind in our blood/soul

@Topic
I have agree in future maybe need stats reset but need develop concept without destroy lore and mechanics

*i think Gods evil/good/neutral is cool part lore to make events and powerfull "magics" (aka black & white 1/2)

Kroom
02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
No respec (please)!

All you are doing is providing an advantage to the people that keep up to date every detail of new game features further increasing the margin between the common and hardcore players.

You should have to grind those attributes/skills up as the world evolves and those systems are introduced. You won’t be behind because you will be starting at the same time as those who choose to try that path (purposely avoiding the word class).

zettoz
02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
I just really hope the 'magic' ends up being fairly weak, or even just alchemy, like creating tonics to help heal or quicken stamina regeneration.

dlld
02-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I remember someone mentioning that stats will be at one point in time adjustable through use I would guess something along the lines of mortal online. Don't quote me though.

zettoz
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Wrong, if I want to play as a healer why should I have to wait months before the stats I start with can actually be usefull, but who wants to start a game with stats that do absolutly nothing

Chavoda
02-17-2011, 09:42 AM
No need for resets of any kind. your stats chance according to actions (when its enabled) this means one day you wish to be a druid making your plants grow and mixing plants for healing. then you simply do that and the stats that are important to it will raise them selfs your other stats might also be affected negative this way, if you do a lot of charm and intelligence related things your strength and agility might go down as you are not using them much. stat decay.

you might not know it yet but I can just based on general knowledge say that nearly nobody will keep the skills they have now and switch to "grind" a other skill starting at 5 at some point, this game will grow, things will chance both in direction the dev might take or by simply "unlocking" new skills as we learn and evolve the game world.
there will be times you will curse them and their will be times you hug them, to survive is to adapt. :)

zettoz
02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
I just dont like the thought of having to grind out the stats because I didnt start with them like I wanted to. But then again would you want to start with 90 points in blah if it wouldnt be used for 4 months?

orious13
02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
The mythological world is supposed to be new and unseen still.

We as characters in the game do not know about magic. That is why you can't "begin" as a healer. That's still science-fantasy-fiction at the moment....

Once we do know about magic, then we can mold ourselves to use it well.

That makes since to me based on the lore. I would say that if it wasn't for the lore a respec would be a nice thing to have as it is a lack of content thing. But that's ok because it makes the world feel more evolutionary.

Without knowing about staffs/bows and other weapons doesn't make sense...Hopefully that should be fixed I think in the next couple months with updated combat.

zettoz
02-17-2011, 10:17 AM
You are missing the point completely, if I were to start with the useless stats from the start I would be able to have it right away, but because it is not implemented it would be probably the worst thing you could do by putting stat points into it. I don't really care about lore, or anything just what should end up happening because of if they are going toadd useless stats for people to waste points into they should offer a respec later. (Not everyone is going to read the forms and find out that charm and faith do nothing right now)

markusan
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
If the rules would change through a patch (introduction of magic system, introduction of new skills, etc) that would change the need of stats, then the game should offer a stat reset so the player can redistribute their stats. This was done for instance at every major patch in Vanguard. We should not have to worry and plan for something that might or might not be introduced six months down the line.

bodangly
02-17-2011, 11:33 AM
If the rules would change through a patch (introduction of magic system, introduction of new skills, etc) that would change the need of stats, then the game should offer a stat reset so the player can redistribute their stats. This was done for instance at every major patch in Vanguard. We should not have to worry and plan for something that might or might not be introduced six months down the line.

I agree, I don't see this as a big deal personally. Eve has done it, most recently when they removed learning skills, and it didn't destroy the game. I'd require they raise the newly useful stats by a certain amount to be eligible.

orious13
02-17-2011, 12:08 PM
It was done for swg multiple times as well (skills respec). I think they'll make a respec option if the majority of the community wishes it because that's how they operate, but you're missing the point of what I'm saying. I think of the "fictional world" aspect as that immersion is lacking in the current market and not the "game" aspect.

So here is a way to have a respec, BUT also make it relevent to the evolution within the "fictional world".

When magic is introduce, your character will need to discover it somehow and when they do you'll need to sacrifice some of your prowess in other stats or skills for that in magic. While this is a vague solution...I think it could be interesting to build upon.

I would suggest the community use their imagination to make it a sort of "evolutionary respec" that makes sense not just because of new introduced content in the game, but also to draw players into the world. Let's help make the game more than just the run-of-the-mill.

bodangly
02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
When magic is introduce, your character will need to discover it somehow and when they do you'll need to sacrifice some of your prowess in other stats or skills for that in magic. While this is a vague solution...I think it could be interesting to build upon.

Personally I don't care how they choose to explain it as far as the lore is concerned. I do totally agree that they should sacrifice in other areas though which is what I meant when I said they should be forced to raise the magic related stats by a certain amount when they respec.

orious13
02-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I gotta be honest... I never care about lore in themepark games. But ever since DF stated they'd have secret places known to those who read it I've been a little more interested. All in all... everything would be more interesting if they made sense. Granted I actually don't care. It would just be cooler to see sensible mechanics rather than an insta-fix.

You could do something like.. build a church... pay a tribute.. god's grant you favor etc. Don't blah blah.. hard for soloers blah. I'm just throwin ideas out to make this discussion more colorful and less black and white. .. More fun if you will.

zettoz
02-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Or they could just remove the useless stats until they will be worth leveling then everyone would have to start them from scratch, wouldnt give you the option to get useless stats when it comes out tomorrow

orious13
02-17-2011, 02:56 PM
they aren't useless...

If animal taming and cooking goes in they definitely won't be useless. Spirit I think is already secondary for architecture and basketry. No one knows how much secondary really means. Charm might be useless if there isn't animal taming come tomorrow, but we have know idea what fail/luck/tribal leadership means. Maybe they do something already. We just don't really know. We will probably know tomorrow.

vorg
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Stats are already changing based on use. Before the wipe a few days ago, i put sprit at 40 and a few hours latter it was 39. This time I put it at 45 and it quickly dropped to 44 even though I was doing some basketry both times. Basketry is listed as a secondary skill effected. Maybe only primary skill use effects rise/fall of attributes.

orious13
02-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Stats are already changing based on use. Before the wipe a few days ago, i put sprit at 40 and a few hours latter it was 39. This time I put it at 45 and it quickly dropped to 44 even though I was doing some basketry both times. Basketry is listed as a secondary skill effected. Maybe only primary skill use effects rise/fall of attributes.

Skill digression works, but gain hasn't yet. It may work on launch.

Kroom
02-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Skill digression works, but gain hasn't yet. It may work on launch.

It MUST work on launch or it's pointless, just getting weaker over time would be silly.

ultrudeus
02-26-2011, 11:57 AM
It MUST work on launch or it's pointless, just getting weaker over time would be silly.

Actually, that would fit in with the whole ageing thing. Look at the average old person. Full of health problems and weak and frail as a twig.

/sarcasm