PDA

View Full Version : New player skill suggestions...

miyagi
02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
So i m a very new player.
What skill do you think i should choose as starters?
I was thinking about WOODWORKING for the SAW, and toolcrafting, for the hammer and crafting knife!

In that way i will be able to craft on my own a lot of stuff, no ?
What is the best tool/skill combination to be a solo viable player ?

Phayz
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
heya can only take one or the other, can't have woodcrafting and toolcrafting sorry dude

i think personally for a solo

toolcrafting/fishing and gathering help ya feed yourself, and make all the tools you will eventually need

yoori
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
You can't choose tool and wood at the same time. If you're going solo I'd suggest toolcraft.

miyagi
02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
But if i choose toolcraft i wont have a saw, and i need a saw to build my tent!!! Well guess i have to wait till i will be able to craft a saw myself

Phayz
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
But if i choose toolcraft i wont have a saw, and i need a saw to build my tent!!! Well guess i have to wait till i will be able to craft a saw myself

there are tents you can build without wood, not sure of the exact name but it is "------- metal tent"

besides play, enjoy explore and craft you will get it eventually

us soloers won;t be building fast, but slow and steady wins the race ;')

wirerzo
02-18-2011, 01:08 PM

That is one way to do it. It may take you a while to be able to make a saw, and there is a chance you may only get a saw recipe that requires a wood handle to make...which requires a saw to make! Also will need to find a saw blade, which can be elusive.

Best bet like others have said is start with tool/fishing/scavenging if you are solo. If you need a saw right away, ask around and hope that your neighbors are nice and will make you one.

blackzilla
02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
That is one way to do it. It may take you a while to be able to make a saw, and there is a chance you may only get a saw recipe that requires a wood handle to make...which requires a saw to make! Also will need to find a saw blade, which can be elusive.

Best bet like others have said is start with tool/fishing/scavenging if you are solo. If you need a saw right away, ask around and hope that your neighbors are nice and will make you one.

I scavenged for two weeks and found just about everything except a saw blade, those things are like unicorns or mermaids...

wirerzo
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I scavenged for two weeks and found just about everything except a saw blade, those things are like unicorns or mermaids...

Haha yes. On my first character I must have spent quite a few days looking for a blade. Then another few days to get a bone saw recipe. Last week after one of the wipes when I did not need a saw, but I did need a knife blade, I managed to get like three saw blades in a few hours, but never found a knife blade. Sometimes my name is very applicable....

penguinmane
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
is it bad past 2 weeks i found 8 old saw blades? pre-wipe i was 80 scavaging btw

blackzilla
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
is it bad past 2 weeks i found 8 old saw blades? pre-wipe i was 80 scavaging btw

*RAWR* I hate all people equally except lucky people, which is deeper. Im like Wirerzo, his sig pic says it all.

Lhowatt
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM

I too spent quite some time looking for a saw blade and never found one. My tribe of about 12 ppl only had maybe 3 between us and that was due to people who chose woodcrafting.

r4NGe
02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
How does cloth stack up as armor?

blackzilla
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
How does cloth stack up as armor?

Others will say armor will make a difference, but I didn't find it did what-so-ever. Some seem to think the stats are hidden from our view...I say show me a thread stating that and maybe I'll believe. I was killed by people naked and bare handed while being fully armored in leather wielding two awesome axes. I have killed people fully armored and them wielding two fine weapons while I was naked and bare handed... so my opinion is based on my findings...

All above fights were great fights and great pvpers...

I also want to add, stats on items isn't something you hide and just turn on, it is something that needs very close attention and balancing testing. I believe they will work on combat and balancing items while we build up our tribes and campsites... but who am I. Just a foolish troll.

river111
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Someone more experienced can corrrect me on this if I am wrong but I really think you should pick the craft you want to be specialized in later on, not which one has the tool you find hard to find in the short term.

From what I have read, the craft you chose at startup will be the only one you can grind and learn all recipes in - through grinding. All other crafts you can learn all the recipes, but not through grinding. You will have to locate/trade for the books, the scheme in order to learn all of the recipes in those.

So dont gimp yourself in the first week just so you have a saw on day 1, take what you want to be and spend the 2-5 days finding a saw if thats what it takes. You will thank youself later for the PITA up front I think.