PDA

View Full Version : As launches go...

Vilander
02-19-2011, 12:21 PM
How do you think this one compared to the other MMOs you've played?

carlosfc1986
02-19-2011, 12:22 PM
i dont think we can consider this a launch, they just failed as Database is being corupted, and the land is full of bugged totems taking the spots so...wtf? and they do not say anything

Tehralph
02-19-2011, 12:23 PM
i dont think we can consider this a launch, they just failed as Database is being corupted, and the land is full of bugged totems taking the spots so...wtf? and they do not say anything

NO ONE FROM THE COMPANY EVER CONFIRMED IT WAS THE DATABASE SO WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE KEEP SPEWING IT OUT!?!?!?!?!

scambammer
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
maybe if so many people didn't think that this was the launch then we wouldn't be having all these problems.......chalk up another to the bandwagoners we lovingly refer to as the mmorpg hardcore...

wulvgar
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
typical launch, nothing shocking

just disappointed

Nemikal
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
NO ONE FROM THE COMPANY EVER CONFIRMED IT WAS THE DATABASE SO WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE KEEP SPEWING IT OUT!?!?!?!?!

http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesauce/files/2011/01/reduce-stress-and-relax.jpg

orious13
02-19-2011, 12:27 PM
While this is a "soft/pre launch". The official launch (when you're 2 free months probably start) is March 1st. This is more like a paid stress test in my opinion except by the end of the 2 weeks there won't be a wipe.

My answer to the question brought forth by the OP is as follows:

I don't care :).

They've said a lot. Just not all of it is in the "updates" section. The devs actually post info in community started threads if they feel the need.

Tehralph
02-19-2011, 12:29 PM
http://blogs.e-rockford.com/applesauce/files/2011/01/reduce-stress-and-relax.jpg

Well it gets old when everyone is saying the same damn thing, even though not even the devs know what really happened. Would be nice if people would keep their mouths shut when they have no idea what theyre talking about.

wirerzo
02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Well it gets old when everyone is saying the same damn thing, even though not even the devs know what really happened. Would be nice if people would keep their mouths shut when they have no idea what theyre talking about.

It's the internet. Where immature children and whiners alike are free to voice their misguided opinions. Can't say mr. Carlosfc1986 is a kid, considering he was probably born in 1986, but he would be a whiner. Best to ignore posts like his mate :)

This wasn't a lanch. It was a preoder early access. People seem to forget this. As far as preorder early access's I have been in, this one is fine. If you didn't expect hiccups then you are playing the wrong genre of games. Stick to consoles.

shadowlz
02-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Hands down worst launch/headstart. worse than STO, Champions, DF, Mortal(but at least xsyons got more features)APB(near perfect launch), DCUO. Its bad. STO was laggy but comes NO WHERE near this lag. This is the worst lag i have ever experienced in a game.

But the game IS enjoyable once you start doing things, 5 minuets after you hit the butan.

Also to above poster, other headstarts have hiccups, xsyon has acid reflux

Vilander
02-19-2011, 12:44 PM
A bit disappointed here too, but it is just a computer game so hard for me to get that annoyed. I'm sure the developers are working tirelessly to fix the problems, they're financially incentivized to do so.

Speaking from experience, the Mortal Online launch was worse than this, in fact I gave up after a few hours and played Texas Hold'em on my Blackberry.

I think the MMO community as a whole has gradually come to accept that game launches are a disaster, and subsequently developers have cottoned onto this and feel increasingly so that they can get away with anything.

I'm not an unreasonable man, but surely Notorious must have had a good idea on how subscribed the game would be at launch (sorry "pre-launch")? A lot of these capacity issues really should have been hashed out in beta.

FPrime
02-19-2011, 12:45 PM

Update February 19

Quick update: We currently have about 1/3 of yesterday's peak population online and lag has subsided a lot. The main difference is, as expected, the number of simultaneous downloads.

We still need to wait on new servers but are working furiously on the server freezing up, data corruption and tribe exploit issues. As soon as I can confirm whether or not we will need to wipe, I will. If we do, I will see what can be done about restoring current tribe positions for those that suffered through the lag yesterday to place a legitimate totem.

Where do you think data is stored then?

Tehralph
02-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Where do you think data is stored then?

Oh youre right, those 2 words you posted totally justify the what the doomsayers claim about "totally fucked" and whatnot. I sometimes do forget, this of course is the internet, therefor, such exaggerations are totally acceptable. Its probably just best to wait this out and come back when the doomsayers have crawled back into their negativity caves.

shadowlz
02-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Oh youre right, those 2 words you posted totally justify the what the doomsayers claim about "totally fucked" and whatnot. I sometimes do forget, this of course is the internet, therefor, such exaggerations are totally acceptable. Its probably just best to wait this out and come back when the doomsayers have crawled back into their negativity caves.

Well as far as data bases go, data corruption pretty much means its "totally fucked" theres only 2 options, sift through it and save what can be saved(takes a LONG LONG time with potentinal errors, or just wipe it.

Marcus
02-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Its normal.. especially considering everyone running in, trying to name their tribe, and place their totem, with most not leaving till they have completed said task...

I find it amusing that so many think a wipe is going to fix all this... Might it be a lil better? perhaps....

I don't believe their is a "fix" for a launch day land rush. Most MMOs cant handle a typical launch, never mind something like this.. but then again, i'm not a developer......

edit.. guess we wiping.. heres hoping the next one goes better..... or it will get real ugly :)

miyagi
02-19-2011, 01:07 PM
i remember darkfall launch. Devs put a limited play slots in the server so that the game was smooth and lagfree....to bad that in order to play you needed to be in queue and wait like 2 hours or even more....(and this went on for 2 or 3 weeks, as the devs were slowly adding more play slots).

So Xsyon launch is nothing special. Just the standard problems every MMO launch has encountered

BigCountry
02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Just read latest update.

Wow....

Might as well find something else to play this week.
lol
:(

Vilander
02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Just read latest update.

Wow....

Might as well find something else to play this week.
lol
:(

Yeah that's my fear too. I'm going on vacation in just over a week from now and my plan to save money was to hit up Xsyon until I left. This looks like it could take a whils before it gets fixed.

billpaustin
02-19-2011, 01:31 PM
They clearly had a "denial of service" type failure. This was mostly due to the huge number of downloads going on through the same pipe as the game. The database server got clogged with requests, and data was corrupted. During the time they disabled downloads, the game was running fairly well. I think if they had disabled the downloads at the start, it would have gone well.

Bridger
02-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Not the best launch I've ever seen. But certainly not the worst either.

At this point, I'm not considering dropping this game. But, in truth, I have to say my long-term plans are going to be strongly influenced by what happens after the 'new' servers are in and the lessons learned by the developers from this experience get a chance to be implemented.

Unanticipated problems caused by lack of experience are understandable and tolerable. But once you've seen the nature of the problems and had a chance to fix them...

ifireallymust
02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Its normal.. especially considering everyone running in, trying to name their tribe, and place their totem, with most not leaving till they have completed said task...

I find it amusing that so many think a wipe is going to fix all this... Might it be a lil better? perhaps....

I don't believe their is a "fix" for a launch day land rush. Most MMOs cant handle a typical launch, never mind something like this.. but then again, i'm not a developer......

edit.. guess we wiping.. heres hoping the next one goes better..... or it will get real ugly :)

If they do manage to save a lot of the totem locations and sort out who owns them, those of us who planted a totem during yesterday's and today's madness can log in on launch day, assure ourselves that we have our spot, and log back out again, leaving everyone who didn't get their spot to find one with a lot less lag than we've been dealing with.

Quinni
02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Data corruption. This was caused by the server freezing up during the save process. We have a redundant saving process partially implemented. It will be finished this week and this should keep additional backups in case a save process is interrupted in the future. For those that will say why didn't we implement this before... good question. I should have thought of this system before, but I didn't. I'm not perfect. ;-)

Marcus
02-19-2011, 01:43 PM
If they do manage to save a lot of the totem locations and sort out who owns them, those of us who planted a totem during yesterday's and today's madness can log in on launch day, assure ourselves that we have our spot, and log back out again, leaving everyone who didn't get their spot to find one with a lot less lag than we've been dealing with.

Yep...
and the server not having to check as many unique guild names hitting it at once and setting as many tribe boundries would be pretty enormous as well i would think....

Tehroth
02-19-2011, 01:51 PM
This is better than a few, but not by much.

Vilander
02-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Data corruption. This was caused by the server freezing up during the save process. We have a redundant saving process partially implemented. It will be finished this week and this should keep additional backups in case a save process is interrupted in the future. For those that will say why didn't we implement this before... good question. I should have thought of this system before, but I didn't. I'm not perfect. ;-)

WELL YOU SHOULD BE PERFECT!! RAGE RAGE RAGE!!!:D

FabricSoftener
02-19-2011, 02:39 PM
yeah that it I am going to play RIFT for 4 years because 1 weekend was ruined plyaing Xsyon.

Oh wait, no I am not I am just going to chill instead

Silgrimm
02-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Compare this launch? ..... to what? ...... to my lunch today? ........to the lunch of MO or STO?....... wtf is MO?
Slow down and let the devteam make their job, this game is very good, and the most of you guys, out there,
thougt the same, because you hyped it and told it to your friends, so, that are now a bit too much people here atm,
who wants to play the game. I think notorius games will keep on with the good work and will make the game playable again,
like it was the weeks before.
I don't care about, if this will be tomorrow or in another five days, because, I will play this game for a longer time and I am sure,
they will fix it soon.