PDA

View Full Version : The Pending Doom

river111
02-20-2011, 11:40 PM
Well we all know we have a wipe coming up again, and I dont know if y'all agree with me or not on this stuff, but here goes anyway.

When he does this wipe here is the way I feel it should be done.

Set a date and time for it, something that isn't midnight for the EU crowd like the last time. I'm not in the EU but it would suck if he did it at midnight for the US crew wouldn't it? We should be looking at somethign that is equally accessable by everyone, within reason of course.

Give a 1 hour window at the start of the launch period where NO totems can be placed at all, homesteads or tribal. Simple reason for this is to give everyone a chance to get prep'd and where they need to go. I'm normally a soloer here, and I can tell you for certain that it will take FAR less time and effort on my end to log in, run out and drop my homestead than it will for you to get your 5 people logged in and into your tribe so you can go place your totem. By saying solo players should be able to place at the same time, it should also mean that the tribes CAN place at the same time too. You have to realistically give them time to build thier tribes before the placement occurs.

Now I know some are saying 'well that will just let PKers grief to get our spot', well ok maybe yeah. But maybe not too. Maybe 3 people show up at the same spot and talk about it like civilized people and 2 move on. Or maybe the rivalry starts between large tribes right there. Maybe two tribes duke it out on the spot and the victor gets to claim that land. I see this as a good thing honestly. Nothing makes for more fun than a good clan rivalry. And what better way to start it than 'Those damn Templar's stole our land!' (not that those nice Templar people whould ever do this mind you.) But you get the idea.

So anyway, this is my thoughts on the wipe. Oh and the saving of the current totems, with all the phantom ones, the multiple ones, the thought you had but lost the next day...I see this as a total mess. There will always be someone who thinks they were done wrong by the devs doing it this way. And I'd much rather a player/tribe think they were done wrong by another player/tribe than blame it on the devs. Friction towards the devs never goes away, but friction against an in game enemy makes for a ton of entertainment.

So whatcha all think? Got better ideas?

zettoz
02-20-2011, 11:56 PM
I actually like this idea, would help ease the initial land grab rush if you had an hour long buffer to place your totems with your tribes.

wolfmoonstrike
02-27-2011, 03:28 AM
I think this idea would be quite interesting. Could also foster relations for those who don't want to fight and are more about peace. Evil would fight and good would foster peace with eachother. Neutrals...you can't trust them neutrals. I mean really what makes man go neutral Kiff...er.. river?

STAR_GOD
02-27-2011, 03:31 AM
I say dont let people place homesteads till next day let tribes get spots with clean wipe and get done with it

river111
02-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Neutrals...you can't trust them neutrals. I mean really what makes man go neutral Kiff...er.. river?

marijuana

You know all those bundles of grass you see all over the place, its not plain grass man. Thats what makes a man go neutral. And no, never trust a neutral or they might just raid your grass bundle supply.

Oh and the homestead on next day is fine by me too, I just have concerns with homesteads being placed at the exact same time. Its not possible for tribes to build instantly like a homesteader can, and thats what needs to be corrected. 1 hours or 1 day doesn't matter to me, just seems unfair to the tribers who lose thier spots because they can't place until they get 5 in thier tribe first.

wolfmoonstrike
02-27-2011, 03:35 AM
I say dont let people place homesteads till next day let tribes get spots with clean wipe and get done with it

Why should soloers, and small groups be penalized? Which in itself brings up with a good point if this system was implemented....they would get shafted. Never mind I disagree with the idea.

shukes
02-27-2011, 03:37 AM
i think its a great idea but,

There are too many easy moders here friend :( the tribes want preference over homesteaders! certain tribes want the right to have "thier " spots...and so on. i'm with you and think we should all start equal, but too many want it easier than that....hehe if they could i am sure they would like to start with thier own castle and maxed skills.

STAR_GOD
02-27-2011, 03:38 AM
well problem is that these people with homesteads will screw over larger tribes if they settle in areas there so only way to push them out is set 24 hour camp and kill poor sod till he gives the land!

wolfmoonstrike
02-27-2011, 03:42 AM
well problem is that these people with homesteads will screw over larger tribes if they settle in areas there so only way to push them out is set 24 hour camp and kill poor sod till he gives the land!

But sadly that is their right. This is a sandbox game, if the space is unoccupied then the space is up for grabs. Of course that doesn't mean we can't use diplomacy or force to get what we want.

river111
02-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Well you have to understand, the original plan was to let tribes place for the first 2 days and then homesteads after. This got argued and changed ot allow everyone to place at the exact same time. The problem came in with the change in the mechanics behind the tribes. It wasn't a requirement originally to have 5+ in your tirbe in order to place a tribe totem. So when we all discussed it the first time around it wasn't a consideration or a concern. However, now that you look at it, is it really fair to the tribes if the homesteaders can place instantly and they can't? Now its the shoe on the other foot type deal. I'm a homesteader myself, but I'm willing to see it from the other side of the ailse here. What I argued the first time around, to be able to place at the same time, is now an unfair advantage for me and my kind. The same thing we faught to stop ourselves the first time around. In my opinion there needs to be some system that gives everyone equal footing on placing. A small window up front seems the most 'equitable' option for both sides. Both get to place the same day, but no headsteader can place before the tribes can get thier tribe memebers invited first (a requirement for them to place which the homesteaders do not have).

If you ask me, instead of saving totem placement, what he should be saving is tribal membership data. So when you log in on landgrab day your tribe is already saved. NO idea how to do that if characters are wiped though, which is why I didnt' suggest that as an option. Only logical way I can see that happening is as I suggested, a 1 hour window to form the tribes and THEN land grab.

wolfmoonstrike
02-27-2011, 03:47 AM
Well you have to understand, the original plan was to let tribes place for the first 2 days and then homesteads after. This got argued and changed ot allow everyone to place at the exact same time. The problem came in with the change in the mechanics behind the tribes. It wasn't a requirement originally to have 5+ in your tirbe in order to place a tribe totem. So when we all discussed it the first time around it wasn't a consideration or a concern. However, now that you look at it, is it really fair to the tribes if the homesteaders can place instantly and they can't? Now its the shoe on the other foot type deal. I'm a homesteader myself, but I'm willing to see it from the other side of the ailse here. What I argued the first time around, to be able to place at the same time, is now an unfair advantage for me and my kind. The same thing we faught to stop ourselves the first time around. In my opinion there needs to be some system that gives everyone equal footing on placing. A small window up front seems the most 'equitable' option for both sides. Both get to place the same day, but no headsteader can place before the tribes can get thier tribe memebers invited first (a requirement for them to place which the homesteaders do not have).

Oh I didn't take that into consideration. You're right about the homestead being able to place instantly. Ok what about a 1hour delay for homesteads? Just for homesteads? Or if it delays 1 hr for all make homesteads a 2hr delay. Jeez I'm waffleing so much...well what can I say when faced with an argument that makes more logical since than mine, I cave lol.

KeithStone
02-27-2011, 05:04 AM
honestly I don't think there should be any delay.

tribes are just going to rush to the spot they want, and then stand there for an hour and slaughter each other until you can place the totem.

As for settletments, i still think they should have to wait conisdering they only need 1 person to get an instant spot.

Bridger
02-27-2011, 05:22 AM
If you ask me, instead of saving totem placement, what he should be saving is tribal membership data. So when you log in on landgrab day your tribe is already saved. ...

You've put your finger squarely on the mechanic that is making this 'game' versus 'real world.'

Might an alternative be: one person can place either a tribe or a homestead totem. If you place a homestead totem, fine. Nothing more happens. You've got your homestead as usual.

On the other hand, if you're one person and you place a tribe totem, you then have [x] amount of time to actually form a tribe. If you fail to form a tribe w/i the alloted time, the totem gets erased and the usual timer for re-placing your totem kicks in. The land is now once again up for grabs.

Bridger
02-27-2011, 05:24 AM

tribes are just going to rush to the spot they want, and then stand there for an hour and slaughter each other until you can place the totem.

Exactly. I think this is just as it should be. If you're not strong enough to hold onto a patch of land, you don't get to keep it.

(As an aside: see? I'm not so much of a carebear after all. I'm all for PvP ... when it serves a purpose.)

jokhul
02-27-2011, 05:27 AM

<snip>

And amidst the confusion of battle, a homesteader sneaks in and drops his totem ? Perfect !

shadowlz
02-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Just a warning for OP suggestion, If you allowed a 1 hour where no totems are place, a tribe like Hopi would go to their perfect place by the river where the birds fly and yadda yadda, then have to sit there for 1 hour. Meanwhile all the Hopi haters run circles around them waiting for the hour to be up so they can place it there first(alternatively they could kill Hopi and not have to spam the butan). Hypothetical of course we all know the Hopi tribe totem is the only standing man made object to survive the apocalypse.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Exactly. I think this is just as it should be. If you're not strong enough to hold onto a patch of land, you don't get to keep it.

(As an aside: see? I'm not so much of a carebear after all. I'm all for PvP ... when it serves a purpose.)

Has nothing to do with strength. You can drop a totem INSTANTLY. How do you defend against something that happens instantly? You can't. Even if you have 20 guys there defending the spot all one homesteader would have to do is make a mad dash into the area and click place totem.

Yes I realize if you have 20 guys there you could start 4 tribes, but my point being that no amount of defending is going to stop a homesteader.

The tribal timer idea so far sounds like the best one. You send your scout out to secure the area and everyone gets there as fast as they can behind him.

Bridger
02-27-2011, 07:31 AM
I agree that the ability to place a totem and have it take instant effect is a game mechanic that needs to be re-examined in light of all the above. But the fix seems fairly simple: for the first [x] minutes after its creation, a totem is vulnerable to attack and destruction.

mgilbrtsn
02-27-2011, 08:37 AM
I say everyone starts out on a level playing field. Its what will make the land grab exciting. If a homesteader gets there first, so be it. There is plenty of precedent in real life where homesteaders got in the way of big corporations, or cities, or whatnot. However, there are ways of dealing with them in the long run. Let the homesteader beware, his actions may have consequences.

Delvie
02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
I say everyone starts out on a level playing field. Its what will make the land grab exciting. If a homesteader gets there first, so be it. There is plenty of precedent in real life where homesteaders got in the way of big corporations, or cities, or whatnot. However, there are ways of dealing with them in the long run. Let the homesteader beware, his actions may have consequences.

Agreed. PVP is more than just killing each other - it's learning to negotiate, barter, and deal with all kinds of player made obstacles.

Aethaeryn
02-27-2011, 08:52 AM
I am not an EU player but I think I would rather have it at midnight then while I am at work. Also if you make it earlier for EU players then NA player will be at work/school. 3PST means most people will be at home.

neestas
02-27-2011, 08:59 AM
What 1 hour would mean is this:

Good alligned tribes could pick spots over the evil ones, same with homesteads due to reason good alligned guys can res on spot while evil can't. This pretty much means that even a single good player could fuck over 5+ evil players due to res swing, res swing, res swing, res swing OHH LOOK I WON.

FabricSoftener
02-27-2011, 09:03 AM
it would be hysterical if everyone gets the perfect spot they want, then the greenzone get moved back 1 month into the game which then reveals even better locations.

ifireallymust
02-27-2011, 10:45 AM
i think its a great idea but,

There are too many easy moders here friend :( the tribes want preference over homesteaders! certain tribes want the right to have "thier " spots...and so on. i'm with you and think we should all start equal, but too many want it easier than that....hehe if they could i am sure they would like to start with thier own castle and maxed skills.

No way will this go fairly. Tribes have members with solo friends and friends in other tribes, and they have members with alts. It would be easy for a huge tribe to send out some friends with that alt and go claim a spot that should belong to a real homesteader or small tribe. This method will let superior numbers determine who gets any spot in the game. It's a horrible idea.

ifireallymust
02-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Unbelievable, all this fighting between tribes, but now you see a scapegoat! Ah ha! It's those filthy solo players and small tribes screwing everything up. If they don't want to negotiate with the pack of bullies that showed up half an hour after they did to claim a spot, too bad, let them die, repeatedly. And if the bullies don't want to negotiate, too bad for the homesteaders, their lives are too easy, it doesn't take long to log in. Look, if your tribes are so disorganized that five of you can't log in to place a totem, you don't deserve a spot anyway!

Edit: I'm really and truly pissed off this time, and no one wants to fight.

*sighs and goes to kick a bear cub*