PDA

View Full Version : Consensual warfare

mgilbrtsn
02-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Apparently u will be able to opt out of clan warfare. Good idea or bad idea. I would say that it depends on how it's implemented.

Let's say u declare your tribal area a safe zone. But one of your members goes out and attacks another tribe. Does the tribe lose their safe zone because the broke the peace?

Can u turn this on or off? Some tribes may think Its a good idea to participate or not participate in warfare. All fine and good, but what if they change their mind? Keeping this in mind, what will stop a tribe from attacking someone, the declaring themselves safe?

I'm sure there are other scenarios out there, so my only comment to this consensual warfare be implemented carefully.

I'm sure there are ways to deal with the possible scenarios given, but they must be taken into consideration.

Your thoughts?

KeithStone
02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
where did you read this?

they only option for not being in wars that was talked about is that during prelude they were thinking about making it so that clans can war each other if they opted to.

After prelude, this will not be the case.

MrKrueak
02-21-2011, 02:14 PM
i'm sure they can have some type of code saying "if you are a member of tribe with pvp flag on then ok to attach other tribe with pvp flag on, else say not allowed to attack in current tribal area"

MrKrueak
02-21-2011, 02:15 PM
where did you read this?

they only option for not being in wars that was talked about is that during prelude they were thinking about making it so that clans can war each other if they opted to.

it was said by virtis in another thread that tribal warfare would be optional

mgilbrtsn
02-21-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm not at my computer right now, so I can't link it, but it's from the thread 'let's put this to rest'. I am obviously taking it on faith that the quote is correct. If it isn't, my bad, and ignore this thread.

byrgar
02-21-2011, 02:17 PM
where did you read this?

Hey guys, sorry for not clearing this up earlier. I only just saw it a little while ago and had to confirm what I thought was going to happen.

Here is the plan:

At first all tribal areas will be safe then, at some point down the road, tribal safe zones will be optional.

If your tribe wishes to play more realistically with the chance of being attacked at any point you may do so. However, if you wish to be more of a crafting tribe and not have to look over your shoulder all the time you may keep the safe zone on.

Hope this clears things up.

Dubanka
02-21-2011, 02:19 PM
in a game that is ultimately about resources, and the access to those resources...the ability to put a 'base' in a position to control a resource without any level of vulnerability is/could be problematic.

i'm all for allowing crafters and carebears to have their little piece of piece and solitude...however, it needs to not be in the middle of a heavily contested area.

For all the bluster, most pvp folks are very pragmatic...we'll typically seek to maximize our advantage, while minimizing exposure to risk...and typically we won't expose ourselves to risk unless we know eveyrone else has to as well. A toggle switch has a fair amount of ability to be abused.
maybe only plots within x distance of starting points can be made safe? leaving most of the world wide open?

mgilbrtsn
02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
My thoughts are that there are AT LEAST 5 other threads on this topic and you should have posted in one of those.

Thank you for your $40.00 for the continued development of Xsyon.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/Nielic/6a00d83451c49a69e20133f3222690970b-320wi-1.jpg

didn't see five, I know of 1 other one, but the title really didn't say what it was about and may not be looked at. So I created this thread with a more 'to the point' title so that ppl would know what is going on.

thanks for your opinion though.

Honelith
02-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Ah damn?

So a PVP enabled server would be more likely then if you can opt out of PVP? I mean, who's going to turn off the safety when you're busy trying to craft and you have neighbouring PVP tribes... :/

I was under the impression tribal warfare aswell as tribal relationships were part of the same game? O_o

bruisie159
02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
Ah damn?

So a PVP enabled server would be more likely then if you can opt out of PVP? I mean, who's going to turn off the safety when you're busy trying to craft and you have neighbouring PVP tribes... :/

I was under the impression tribal warfare aswell as tribal relationships were part of the same game? O_o

you cant opt out of pvp. lets keep this on track you can only opt out of terrrtory wars. and that will also only apply to your "capital" later when new land is opened up it is likely that if u want to expand into it you will have to enable warfare.

BigCountry
02-21-2011, 03:39 PM
you cant opt out of pvp. lets keep this on track you can only opt out of terrrtory wars. and that will also only apply to your "capital" later when new land is opened up it is likely that if u want to expand into it you will have to enable warfare.

Where are you getting this information?? New land opening up??

Territory wars were the PvP man. And when you can opt out of that you can opt out of the PvP. It's horrible news.
:(

Doc
02-21-2011, 03:41 PM

Territory wars were the PvP man. And when you can opt out of that you can opt out of the PvP. It's horrible news.
:(

There will be territory wars, just not in format you want them to be.

And game FFA PvP with full loot.

BigCountry
02-21-2011, 03:45 PM
And game FFA PvP with full loot.

And consensual tribe warfare (which translates into "no one using it").....which leaves the ONLY outlet for PvP in the form of ganking and grieving....

I hope you guys are ready for it....lol

KeithStone
02-21-2011, 03:46 PM

the world is currently 64 square kilomters, and will eventually open up to 1200 square km.

Also, more land opening up during prelude is planned as well.

Honelith
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
you cant opt out of pvp. lets keep this on track you can only opt out of terrrtory wars.

If you remain inside your tribal border, then you are opting out of PVP. Given you can build defensively and keep out or at least create choke points, what's the problem with PVP again ?

I think this whole Safe Zone Enabled/Disabled is going to be a headache and just complicates things as mgilbrtsn has already suggested. But, I'm thinking one way around it is how the corporation warfare is handled in EVE Online. You have to declare war with the corporation before you can attack them (in high security regions with police presence), and there's maintenance costs to keep the war going. Rather then the annoying Safety Zone Enabled/Disabled nonsense, let tribes declare war on one another before they can attack eachother? But if you have a tribe declaring war on you and you don't want to, allow tribes to build safe houses so members have some form of safety?

BigCountry
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Keith I read from Xsyon that the current engine/game does not support land (server) addition like in EvE. Did you read somewhere else that it will in the future?

Dubanka
02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Keith I read from Xsyon that the current engine/game does not support land (server) addition like in EvE. Did you read somewhere else that it will in the future?

During the Prelude, Xsyon will continuously evolve and expand. Denizens will uncover remnants of lost technology, discover new crafts and skills and encounter new creatures. A deadly fog which surrounds the basin will slowly recede to expose new lands, more affected and ravaged by the ongoing apocalypse.

orious13
02-21-2011, 04:01 PM

120 sq km starting playing field, gradually expanding to a 1200 sq km area and beyond

http://www.xsyon.com/features

I don't know if it's 120 sq km now or what...

*Edit*
Is the only feature people read "FFA OPEN PVP" and hit pre-order ? :)

taurus1877
02-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Here you go: http://beefjack.com/features/interview-jordi-grau-davis-on-xsyon/

Larsa
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Where are you getting this information?? New land opening up?? ... :(

During the Prelude, Xsyon will continuously evolve and expand. Denizens will uncover remnants of lost technology, discover new crafts and skills and encounter new creatures. A deadly fog which surrounds the basin will slowly recede to expose new lands, more affected and ravaged by the ongoing apocalypse.

[Edit: sorry, Dubanka, I didn't see that you had already posted the information.]

BigCountry
02-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Hello everyone!

This is definitely not an expected reaction! I've been getting requests for a European server all year.

I'd like to clarify this situation.

We are preparing a European server in case we need it. As I see this overall negative reaction, if we don't need the second server it will not be turned on until we physically need it. This is not a matter where we can upgrade the machine or bandwidth, we are already going to have the maximum available to us.

I do plan to run a European download server as soon as possible and a trial server will be a necessity for free trials. I will not allow 'free trials' to create the possibility for players to create free accounts that would affect the live Xsyon world.

There will be a point where the Xsyon world can't accomodate the population, and where the population on one server will be too large to form a tight cohesive community.

The original plan that we will follow is to add new lands that run on separate but connected servers (much like what is done with EVE Online), this would effectively create neighborhoods of communities that play together, but this is not something that can be done overnight.

If we grow too fast, we will have to split the world. We are not there yet, of course. I am simply preparing for this scenario. We are growing quickly and as many of you have probably noticed, this is without any advertisement or direct promotion on our part. I've answered a few interviews and announced the launch in early January, but that's all.

If we do need additional servers, nobody will be forced to play on a specific server and players will be allowed to create characters on both servers. It will simply be an option. I was ready to offer than option now rather than later and that's all. If it does not seem necessary it will not be done.

I hope that alleviates the concerns.

I am cool with it being "planned and developed". But it's not currently in game. That was my question. I answered it. Thanks.

Jadzia
02-21-2011, 04:11 PM

This is what Xsyon said some days ago :

The original plan that we will follow is to add new lands that run on separate but connected servers (much like what is done with EVE Online), this would effectively create neighborhoods of communities that play together, but this is not something that can be done overnight.

Atmos
02-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Pretty much sums it all up. Call it a night.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3840-Here-s-the-final-question
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3807-Did-you-know-this-will-be-
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3830-To-the-PKers/page2a-FFA-PVP-game/page8
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3834-Ok-can-we-just-put-this-to-bed-now
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3164-Simple-poll-to-remove-safe-zones-in-Prelude
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3836-PVP-amp-Safezones-Stop-The-QQ-amp-Requests
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3838-I-over-looked-this-bit-of-info-about-pvp-combat
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3835-Consensual-warfare