PDA

View Full Version : All Skills or Not

Vadio
02-22-2011, 05:18 AM
followed discussion in this topic : http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3859-We-still-have-access-to-all-craft-skills

Yes -> possible craft everything but need master system or something ( i can learn recipes here )
No-> Possible craft only your chossen and open possiblity to learn from others player recipes and skills

ifireallymust
02-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Purely selfish vote from me, I'm a jack of all trades master of none type player, I love to learn at least a little of everything. I have no idea what impact each system would have in the game later on, so I just voted my preference.

carlosfc1986
02-22-2011, 05:24 AM
sandbox? anyone?

Monologue
02-22-2011, 05:25 AM
While I also, personally love to be able to do things solo, I believe a Jack-of-all-trades situation is nice, but, I am aware of the impact it can have on a sandbox mmo, and im also very intrigued by the idea of being able to learn from other players. Plus, having limited choices should have a good impact in the economy, and the crafting community as a whole.

But yeah, as ifire, i was a bit selfish in my choice, but I would actually love if we could mix it. Allowing for only 1 choice at char creation, and then later , either thru learning from others, a mastering system, or a mix thereof, being able to learn everything you want / need.

yoori
02-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I'll say yes.
If you'd be able to learn skills from others, every tribe member would have every skill in a week. Solo players would be stuck with what they got.

The key is to be able to master limited number of skills and how many. With limited resources we will need best quality items we can get .

Doc
02-22-2011, 05:28 AM
If soft cap system is in place i see no problem with having all skills.

Kurpitsa
02-22-2011, 05:32 AM
You should be able to do whatever, but specialization is needed to be successful in anything. No limits to pick another skill and start training that too, however.

bruisie159
02-22-2011, 05:46 AM
yes with a skill cap

Zenmaster13
02-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Yes, because with skill decay, it should be very difficult to master multiple professions, however, the option should be there for the hardcore crafter. I think people are counting on the good will of other people a little too much. I would like us all to trade and share, etc., but that is not how it will work out.

ifireallymust
02-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Yes, because with skill decay, it should be very difficult to master multiple professions, however, the option should be there for the hardcore crafter. I think people are counting on the good will of other people a little too much. I would like us all to trade and share, etc., but that is not how it will work out.

Oh! I wasn't thinking about the skill decay aspect. I'm sure that could be set up so that even a dedicated crafter would have to work insanely hard to keep all skills close to max, making it a more natural way to keep jack of all trades from being masters of all.

dem1urge
02-22-2011, 06:19 AM
followed discussion in this topic : http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3859-We-still-have-access-to-all-craft-skills

Yes -> possible craft everything but need master system or something ( i can learn recipes here )
No-> Possible craft only your chossen and open possiblity to learn from others player recipes and skills

How about both? Why not be able to craft "basic" items from every craft but "advanced" stuff has to be learned from someone else (a Master) and/or "discovered" randomly? This would, of course, mean that the Powers that Be will have to make decisions about what is considered "basic/advanced". Anyone see a downside to this? I can't think of any others myself.

KeithStone
02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
In order to be good at specific crafts you still need to put the right points into your starting skills- giving us access to all crafts isn't going to make us the master of all crafts.

see this simple guide i put together:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/3876-How-to-select-the-right-craft-skill

Badaboom
02-22-2011, 06:23 AM
It depends on the skill rate decay. Otherwise no. Darkfall is a perfect example. Given enough time a dedicated crafter will be a be able to most everything, even with a soft skill cap. It would be nice to have dedicated crafters of a chosen profession dotted around the world.

Vadio
02-22-2011, 06:25 AM
Yes- incetive solo player,freedom,sandbox
No-Incetive trade/traveling and indirect Wilderness pvp/Teamwork

jinko172
02-22-2011, 06:30 AM
I voted yes, but maybe i was to fast. Loot with one and hand over to your next character. But you would need two accounts.
Ive should have voted no :(

FabricSoftener
02-22-2011, 07:03 AM
I like the general idea of making it technically possible to craft everything in the game but not reasonably realistic to do so and tell the skill grinding QQers to F off.

In short, open up everything for everyone but make it nearly impossible to be good at everything unless you have a slave running running account 24/7.

Besides, the system as I understand it in this game seems to be perfect. Easy to gain to medium level in anything but while doing one skill you slowly lose points in your other skills + just really hard to become a master.

Banok
02-22-2011, 07:11 AM
How will soft/skill cap help tbh

I see no skill requirement on any recipe. to my knowledge skill level only increases sucess rate. which is less useful that recipes themselves which you can grind by making 1 cheap recipe over and over and over.

so with skill level 10 in everything you can just grind all the recipes and make everything you need.

surely no-one wants it to work like that except a few solo players who don't even want to interact with their neighbors at all.

yoori
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
There are repecies with lvl 70-80. You have a slim chance to make them with skill 10 but they will be very low quality and fall apart in let's say a week, while masters items will last for 2 months(example).

tredo
02-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Basic items I do agree with... this will get any player solo or otherwise started... basic items are just that... basic, not allot of knowledge needed here. As you get to items that require more detail and a better understanding of the trade skill, these items would require you to have put some points into the skill to get it to a needed level of learning to get a successful created item.

That's my 2 cents

Zenmaster13
02-22-2011, 07:51 AM
How will soft/skill cap help tbh

I see no skill requirement on any recipe. to my knowledge skill level only increases sucess rate. which is less useful that recipes themselves which you can grind by making 1 cheap recipe over and over and over.

so with skill level 10 in everything you can just grind all the recipes and make everything you need.

surely no-one wants it to work like that except a few solo players who don't even want to interact with their neighbors at all.

There are plenty of lootable crafting recipes, that are way above level 10. So your point is invalid.

FabricSoftener
02-22-2011, 07:55 AM
It depends on the skill rate decay. Otherwise no. Darkfall is a perfect example. Given enough time a dedicated crafter will be a be able to most everything, even with a soft skill cap. It would be nice to have dedicated crafters of a chosen profession dotted around the world.

I agree, skill decay needs to be a realistic factor.

What sort of happened in Darkfall is people didnt see the skill system taking so long to conjure as an indicator that one should focus on a specialization rather they saw all possible skills mostly as a requirement and then QQ until the skill progression was lowered. Now in all fairness, macroing had a great deal to do with that system problem

Deacon
02-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Basic items I do agree with... this will get any player solo or otherwise started... basic items are just that... basic, not allot of knowledge needed here. As you get to items that require more detail and a better understanding of the trade skill, these items would require you to have put some points into the skill to get it to a needed level of learning to get a successful created item.

That's my 2 cents

I also feel this is a good idea.....

orious13
02-22-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree... access to all main skills is fine. The decay just needs to be strong enough to force specialization.

dlld
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
What you select on character creation shouldn't be a final "class" you should be able to do everything but only some at the same time this is what the skill decay system is for I would assume.

jokhul
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
To master all crafts and keep all the skills at that level (given the skill decay system), you'd probably have to scavenge and harvest 24/7 for the entire time that you play the game.

There's no sitting back and saying: "Ah, now I've mastered them all, I can relax and become rich..."

Besides, junk piles can be "exhausted" (do they ever regrow ?), and iirc there won't be any junk piles after Prelude. That would imply that we'll have to start mining and smelting to get metals, boil animal bones and urine to get chemicals (e.g. ammonia), pulp wood to make paper, etc. Good luck with maintaining ALL craft trades at maximum level in that kind of scenario...

Dontaze_Mebro
02-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Really why not just make it 1 point instead of 5 then? Then you technically "have" all the skills but you still need to level them up.

tredo
02-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Really why not just make it 1 point instead of 5 then? Then you technically "have" all the skills but you still need to level them up.

I think this is the way it works now.....

Caffy
02-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Let's say you need a saw and you have a high quality saw blade and the recipe to make a high quality saw but your toolcraft is 25.

would you want to make the saw yourself or have an actual master tool crafter make it?

BigCountry
03-01-2011, 05:37 AM
I am ok with it, but there needs to be a skill cap implemented now, not later.

You cannot go back and implement a skill cap. It's something that has to be done right out of the gate.

See Darkfall = no skillcap = really really bad.

Chavoda
03-01-2011, 05:47 AM
There ain't that many skills at launch to start whit..if we go by the old UO limmed of seven skills ...who has done all skills to 99 yet? seven of them.. thats a huge amount of time needed nobody done it yet.

The soft cap (decay) will ensure people will not have any more then seven or so skills maxed. maybe someone who has no job due to rl stuff and spent all his time in game might be able to master a skill more but who cares really, they do spent insane amounts of time. .. as its now its perfect.

If decay aint active at launch (not head start but launch as planned) its not a big deal either due to the small skill pool we have currently. taming,mining,blacksmithing,farming, magics is add to the game its only needed to have the actual skill decay soft cap work.

So my vote, Yes in release all skills , Decay in as soon as possible , between now and the release/unlock to more skills.

BigCountry
03-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Yeah but you always have your "powergamers" who are going to get to 700-800 (whatever the cap needs to be) asap.

The issue is when these players go over a planned skill cap, you can't go back and nerf it. It's what happened to Darkfall. They said "we will add a skill cap later, noone will gain that fast". And sure enough players did - lol. So you ended up with no skill cap and it single handedly destroyed the game turning it into a macro fest in my opinion.

A skill cap needs to be in before the game goes "live". No matter how hard we think it is to obtain.

tomduril
05-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Big news: The skill cap *is* in the game right now ...

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/1440-Xsyon-Updates

Drevar
06-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Need to kill this poll, its almost a year and a half old.

MrDDT
06-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Yep it doesnt even apply right now.

djkurrle
07-16-2012, 03:22 AM
lets play a game where we dont have to lvl, SOUNDS LIKE FUN!

Draulius
08-21-2012, 02:51 PM
I really hope this game doesn't turn out to be a clone war like in Darkfall. Specialization is key.