PDA

View Full Version : Don't Listen to "FFA PvP All The Time!"

Farseer
02-23-2011, 05:01 AM
I'll put it simply: This would ruin the game.

A good sandbox game has to be a mix of PvE, worldbuilding, politics, crafting and PvP.

If these idiots want constant PvP, they can go play and FPS.

Look at EvE Online, the most successful sandbox game in the world at the minute. It has VERY harsh PvP and yet it's PvP isn't constantly "turned on". It's only in lower security areas that you can get real PvP without NPC intervention.

Ultima Online was the same, Star Wars Galaxies was the same etc etc.

Don't go the route of Darkfall and fail at sandbox gameplay by making it purely PvP.

I'm still waiting for my paycheck to come at the end of the month to buy this game, but then I'm certainly signing up. If you implemented the PvP changes these shortsighted fools suggested (look at Darkfall, all wolves and no sheep which leads to the game kinda sucking, look at Mortal Online too), I wouldn't be signing up.

I know a lot of other people who feel the same way.

That's all.

Farseer out.

Niburu
02-23-2011, 07:29 AM
Even darkfall has safe NPC towns....

Otto
02-23-2011, 07:30 AM
This, this, a thousand times this.

I still play Mortal and all it is is e-peen wagging and the scum of the Earth trolling each other 24/7. Everyone except a select few is red and all the reds do is go about killing new players which has stunted the growth of the game's population. Do not give in to the short-sighted PvPers; they will kill this game just like they are doing to Mortal.

FFA PVP everywhere all the time will attract the cancer from Mortal once they finish beating the dead horse over there. That is the last thing this game needs.

mrcalhou
02-23-2011, 07:34 AM

A good sandbox game has to be a mix of PvE, worldbuilding, politics, crafting and PvP.

Look at EvE Online, the most successful sandbox game in the world at the minute. It has VERY harsh PvP and yet it's PvP isn't constantly "turned on". It's only in lower security areas that you can get real PvP without NPC intervention.

Don't go the route of Darkfall and fail at sandbox gameplay by making it purely PvP.

I'm still waiting for my paycheck to come at the end of the month to buy this game, but then I'm certainly signing up. If you implemented the PvP changes these shortsighted fools suggested (look at Darkfall, all wolves and no sheep which leads to the game kinda sucking, look at Mortal Online too), I wouldn't be signing up.

That's all.

Farseer out.

QFT

Farseer
02-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Even darkfall has safe NPC towns....

Which were bitched about for ages. Safe NPC towns really aren't enough.

I still play Mortal and all it is is e-peen wagging and the scum of the Earth trolling each other 24/7. Everyone except a select few is red and all the reds do is go about killing new players which has stunted the growth of the game's population. Do not give in to the short-sighted PvPers; they will kill this game just like they are doing to Mortal.

FFA PVP everywhere all the time will attract the cancer from Mortal once they finish beating the dead horse over there. That is the last thing this game needs.

Sadly, from what I've heard, this stuff has been happening in Xsyon, too. Random people running around naked ganking using collector's edition weapons so they have no chance to lose anything.

You know people just want to grief when they don't really want to PvP, just to gank for rewards wih no risk.

Chavoda
02-23-2011, 08:31 AM

Sadly, from what I've heard, this stuff has been happening in Xsyon, too. Random people running around naked ganking using collector's edition weapons so they have no chance to lose anything.

You know people just want to grief when they don't really want to PvP, just to gank for rewards wih no risk.

Alignment system is not on yet and its pre-launch beta game play.. alot of players just are bored and steal pants or someting.. do not mistake beta boredom whit actual launch game play. will random pvp killing happen, yup there will be but it will soon be much less after launch.

Farseer
02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Alignment system is not on yet and its pre-launch beta game play.. alot of players just are bored and steal pants or someting.. do not mistake beta boredom whit actual launch game play. will random pvp killing happen, yup there will be but it will soon be much less after launch.

Alignment systems don't really do anything unless it involves some pretty serious penalties to PKers.

Jadzia
02-23-2011, 08:55 AM
@OP:
Don't worry, this is not the first influx of Darkfall players (I mean the ganker type, not the honest players), and the lead developer never listened to them. He has a strong vision of the game and he sticks to it. Perhaps they might get an FFA PvP server with no safe zones, I support the idea. It shouldn't be an expensive hardware though, since it will get empty in 2 months anyway.

Larsa
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM

A good sandbox game has to be a mix of PvE, worldbuilding, politics, crafting and PvP. ...I basically agree with you, but I fear it's too late for significant changes to the PvP mechanic in Xsyon. I assume FFA PvP is here to stay.

Bear5732
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am all for PVP - but there has to be a starter area/tutorial.

My first 10 minutes in the game consisted of me spawning in some area where there was no one - I went up a hill and begin crafting items to try to get the hang of the game, I was immediately ganked by some naked guy not 10 minutes into the game. There needs to be a safe zone for people who haven't played the game all beta long to actually learn how to play before getting screwed over.
Someone in game mentioned that there were safe zones for tribes - but there was no tribe where i spawned in, no information about joining one or option to, no map, no compass, and apparently no way for a new player to actually learn the game, and join a tribe after they understand what the tribe is about/etc.

This is very simple, either you allow new players to get comfortable with controls, rules, crafting, politics, and fighting before throwing them to the wolves - or you are going to have to listen to people cry and whine all day and eventually just quit the game. Not that it would be a bad thing for whiners to quit, just that with no one to grief what will the pvpers do?

orious13
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
I basically agree with you, but I fear it's too late for significant changes to the PvP mechanic in Xsyon. I assume FFA PvP is here to stay.

He's saying the FFA PVP ALL THE TIME CROWD should not be listened to not that FFA PVP should leave.

Tehroth
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Tribal safezones are enough. Once they implement the alignment system reds will have a harder time by being raided and slaughtered. Once they make a spawn location such as the one in my Dream catcher thread we will get less griefing and more meaningful fights. Make starter tools only player tradeable and degrade. Player can police the evil clans and enforce law throughout the land. Not some predetermined safe area for people to never leave and craft in all day.

Farseer
02-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Not some predetermined safe area for people to never leave and craft in all day.

You mean like in EvE Online, the most successful sandbox out there at the moment?

There's a reason Darkfall only has 5~k subscriptions, and it's probably the same reason you guys left it. Because the plans you're suggesting are moronic.

jumpshot
02-24-2011, 03:15 AM

Honestly this more than anything.

And as a side note the PvP and feelign of danger it provides in darkfall rules It's downside is lack of sand in the sandbox.

Also as a side note it has tons of safezones, so really citing it constantly just shows that some people will complain until PvP is turned off completely.

It's okay if some peopel want to play single player games. It's also okay that some people want to play FPSes. It would be nice if both groups would stop trying ot make every game they play into their preferred type.

Farseer
02-24-2011, 05:46 AM
And as a side note the PvP and feelign of danger it provides in darkfall rules It's downside is lack of sand in the sandbox.

Also as a side note it has tons of safezones, so really citing it constantly just shows that some people will complain until PvP is turned off completely.

It's okay if some peopel want to play single player games. It's also okay that some people want to play FPSes. It would be nice if both groups would stop trying ot make every game they play into their preferred type.

It has "tons of safezones"? You do realise those zones don't work if your guild is at war with their's, right? And lots of players run around in a single man guild declaring war on everyone else?

Most people want to play a co-operative game with some competitive elements. Not Darkfail v2.0.

Redemp
02-24-2011, 06:01 AM
The only problem with DF's pvp was the skill gap between existing vets and new players and the horrid War Dec / Alliance system , Xsyon shouldn't have that problem which makes this thread a mote issue in regards to DF - Xsyon comparisons. FFA PvP will be fine in Xsyon with the systems planned. I'm a hardcore pvper but I have yet to go looking for PvP , the world building and exploring has sucked all my time up and I am confident the launch will be the same. There is far more to do here in order to protect ones investment than in DF, and far less of a system to grief.

boomer0901
02-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Unforutantly some of them have already made it over here, but maybe they won't stay, since the rules for being a douche might make them find a new game, but being a douche bag seems to be an easy job and persistance seems to be one of the qualities, to bad being humble isn't one of them.

But yes this game doesn't need to be pvp all the time to be fun.
I think a lot of ppl misconstrue when ppl talk about pvp, most of the ppl I know myself included love pvp, myself like most that I've talked too don't like douche bags, 12 yr old epeen, leet speaking little turd baskets. Just fight win/loot/save your teabagging animation for your boyfriend at home.

santoclawz
02-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Threads like this blow my mind.... When i first logged into Xsyon i had the same experience as many of the people who come to the forums and cry. I logged in was trying to get my bearings and was ganked, but you know what i got over it moved, left the spawn area gathered my pride and started playing the game.

I have only been in a handfull of fights since then it honestly seems to me the people who complain most about pvp are the people who are too stupid to learn how to avoid it when they dont want it.

I see alot of people complaining about naked griefers who run around and want no risk and all reward, but if you make this game too carebear then thats all anyone gets is no risk, all reward and one dull game.

So bottom line is get over it, get even, or go away with all this melodramatic BS and overly sensitive attitudes.

Zenmaster13
02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Threads like this blow my mind.... When i first logged into Xsyon i had the same experience as many of the people who come to the forums and cry. I logged in was trying to get my bearings and was ganked, but you know what i got over it moved, left the spawn area gathered my pride and started playing the game.

I have only been in a handfull of fights since then it honestly seems to me the people who complain most about pvp are the people who are too stupid to learn how to avoid it when they dont want it.

I see alot of people complaining about naked griefers who run around and want no risk and all reward, but if you make this game too carebear then thats all anyone gets is no risk, all reward and one dull game.

So bottom line is get over it, get even, or go away with all this melodramatic BS and overly sensitive attitudes.

Your mind is easily blown then, or just weak. I have a new names for the pro-gank/grief crowd, who come in and whine all the time, but I have not been able to decide on one. Perhaps I should run a poll. Here are the 2 choices for your selection: Should gankers/griefers, be callled A. Drama Queens, or B. My Little Ponies?

KeithStone
02-24-2011, 07:43 AM

That's all.

Farseer out.

i really think the devs have some great ideas about how to find the balance, we just need to give it some time.

Otto
02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Again, I am all for PvP in the game but in Mortal there was the same talk during beta.

"It won't be like this after launch"

"The community will police themselves"

The issue is that when you cater to the FFA PVP ALL THE TIEM crowd you let them dig their roots into the game and then there aren't enough people left to police. They've all given up on yet another ruined effort by the crowd. What you then have is a death match ala Mortal where you have BRB, Myrmidon, and all those other nonces running about bashing each other over the head and posting youtube videos about it.

The people that tell us that FFA PvP everywhere all the time is a good thing have other motives.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 09:10 AM
PVP is not just combat. I can undercut your prices on goods and services. I can chop down and haul off all the trees surrounding your camp. These are just a couple of alternative methods of PVP. Some people have very narrow views on just what is and is not PVP. Trading and crafting is PVP.

For player policing to work there has to be some sort of motivation to save you. If you';re being attacked what's in it for me to risk my gear and death penalty to save you? Player policing works great, but you have to give them a reason to want to protect you.

Tehroth
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
A motive to policing would be good karma or favors with your tribe standing and the Gods perhaps. Maybe the Devs should make a reward for Good players to kill the Evil ones. This way if it is FFA then the players would actually police the game. If there is a bounty system in game you could put players names on there or if the Tribal totem permits. Create a quest that revolves around policing the land purging it of evil players.

Riphotsuma
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM

That's all.

Farseer out.

You mean like in EvE Online, the most successful sandbox out there at the moment?

There's a reason Darkfall only has 5~k subscriptions, and it's probably the same reason you guys left it. Because the plans you're suggesting are moronic.

These are seriously some of the weakest and most fallacious arguments I have heard against DF since I have been reviewing this game.

First off, DF didn't fail/still failing because of the open world PvP. It failed for like 500 other reasons, the open PvPing not being one of them. It wasn't a true sandbox like we were led to believe, the grind, a development team that never listens to their community until 5 months down the road from their original problem, resource collection and management being too time consuming and mundane, GRIND, a combat system where everyone and their mom is a mage-caster-conan-the-barbarian-genghis-khan-fairy, among other things.

Your support for open world PvP is weak, it has very little basis as to why these other games failed, or were great. If you are going to argue such, find a better background to base it on. Instead of this false dichotomy stuff. You also dismiss the others who don't think like you. With new games comes new ways of doing things, maybe they can find a way to make it where PvP centric people and those who hate PvP can still work in the same environment without one annoying the other. People who enjoy to PvP to the max, are usually called "griefers" by carebears, ect, also play the game for the same reasons you do, hence why they aren't trying to play Black Ops atm.

ozmono
02-24-2011, 08:16 PM

Well said, if all these idiots want is to fight, why not go play mount & blade? What good are most of the games feature list if you're one of these idiots?

santoclawz
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Well said, if all these idiots want is to fight, why not go play mount & blade? What good are most of the games feature list if you're one of these idiots?

ok so if there are people who all the want to do is build and craft why not go play sims or just use some map builders to build cool citites? like it or not both sides have a right to play a game they paid for the way they want, yet both sides seem determined to not allow the other the same freedoms they themselves demand..................

PEOPLE are different get over it.

santoclawz
02-24-2011, 09:45 PM
double post

ozmono
02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
ok so if there are people who all the want to do is build and craft why not go play sims or just use some map builders to build cool citites? like it or not both sides have a right to play a game they paid for the way they want, yet both sides seem determined to not allow the other the same freedoms they themselves demand..................

PEOPLE are different get over it.

I'm not saying anyone doesn't have the right to play the game. I just think they are idiots ;)

I don't agree with your analogy. I hardly think the sims and map builders are funner alternatives while there are clearly better game options for combat.
EDIT
I have formed my opinion by playing both types of games.

Farseer
02-25-2011, 01:18 AM

This is not the game for you.

Refunds and the door are that way. ->

Larsa
02-25-2011, 02:34 AM
Well said, if all these idiots want is to fight, why not go play mount & blade? What good are most of the games feature list if you're one of these idiots?Many of these people do not really want to fight, but they want to win. Winning is easier in this game than in real PvP games, hence why they play this game instead.

Farseer
02-25-2011, 07:48 AM
Many of these people do not really want to fight, but they want to win. Winning is easier in this game than in real PvP games, hence why they play this game instead.

This.

It's a bit pathetic, really.

scambammer
02-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Why do I get the feeling that half of the community is petrified from fear when thinking about pvp....

Eremon
02-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Why do I get the feeling that half of the community is petrified from fear when thinking about pvp....

Because you're ignorant?

scambammer
02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Because you're ignorant?

see...the the fear has you to the point that you are needlessly thowing insults around....fear, it does strange things...

Farseer
02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
see...the the fear has you to the point that you are needlessly thowing insults around....fear, it does strange things...

Wow, your fear has made you into a hypocrite! It's amazing what it does to you!

scambammer
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Wow, your fear has made you into a hypocrite! It's amazing what it does to you!

and your fear has left you so fear stricken that you make no sense.....hypocritical???? *question mark*

Eremon
02-25-2011, 10:11 AM

More ignorance.

Here... I'll state the obvious for you:

If people were "fearing" Pvp, then they wouldn't be subscribing to a "Pvp" game.. now would they?

What YOU fear, is that the game ISN'T FFA PvP for ("at least") 6-9 months (and I would argue that it will never become a total FFA pvp game).

Which means, your opportunities at destroying what others have built doesn't exist, AND, the only time you even have the opportunity to gank someone, is when they are outside the confines of their safe zone.

Pvp exists, and the entire playerbase knows it. For you to suggest that 1/2 the playerbase is "petrified from fear", is ludicrous... and THAT makes you... "ignorant".

scambammer
02-25-2011, 10:22 AM
More ignorance.

considering you have me all figured out after a 2 line post or two, so much so that you know exactly where you should 'categorize' me, I'd say that you would be the ignorant one....and a little absorbed in one's own opinions

Jadzia
02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

My only fear is that I may have to spend my gaming time with a bunch of idiots, whose influx we have seen during the last 2 weeks. Thats the only and biggest problem with FFA PvP...it attracts some people who have no intention to play the game, only to bully others. Any game which allows them to do so won't last long.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that everyone who likes open PvP is an idiot. Most of them are honest players who enjoy challenge and fair fights.

Farseer
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
and your fear has left you so fear stricken that you make no sense.....hypocritical???? *question mark*

I'll put it as simply as possible: People generally find being called cowards to be an insult.

Since you are obviously not the smartest tomahawk in the village, I will also quote your posts:-

Toughluck
02-25-2011, 12:48 PM
There is a lot of desperation in the postings from the PVP, FFA, All the time, crowd. They have paid their money without fully researching the game. They are spending an enormous amount of time trying to plead and beg the developer to switch the game to their vision. They are on the hook for dragging their guild buddies into a game that is not DFO or MO. Insulting everyone who thinks PVP is be a limited part of the game. I remember DFO and the zergs running around killing single players often many skill levels below them. That was real men's PVP. Few ever wanted the one on one fights against equally matched opponents in case the lost their precious gear.

Proto
02-27-2011, 12:19 AM

Pretty sure the shitty game killed the population, not the pvp.

Proto
02-27-2011, 12:33 AM

Worked in Shadowbane for years.

There will be griefers in any system, if it's not someone griefing you in pvp, they'll be chopping down the trees at your village etc, and if there's a way for crafters to exploit resources, you can bet there'll be the plenty that do it. Statistical outliers.

Proto
02-27-2011, 12:37 AM

There's a lot of reasons DF has few subs, don't pin it exclusively on the PVP system, the worst culprit was the fact that they announced the game as the best thing since sliced bread, took 10 years to develop it, and then ruined the faith of their community by implementing a shitty beta and a poor game at release that had 8 bit graphics and massive issues with balance.

Darkseid
02-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Deleted

Reason: Derogatory statement.

TWINDLE
02-27-2011, 11:46 AM
it wouldnt ruin the game, in fact it would make it more exciting and knowing you have to watch your back. But your a kitty cat so of course you'll never like it.

gaidin
02-27-2011, 11:54 AM
FFA PvP tends to be better in theory than in practice. Communities don't police themselves. Please keep some sensible control on Xsyon so the game can have a viable playerbase.

JCatano
02-27-2011, 12:26 PM
There is a lot of desperation in the postings from the PVP, FFA, All the time, crowd. They have paid their money without fully researching the game. They are spending an enormous amount of time trying to plead and beg the developer to switch the game to their vision. They are on the hook for dragging their guild buddies into a game that is not DFO or MO. Insulting everyone who thinks PVP is be a limited part of the game. I remember DFO and the zergs running around killing single players often many skill levels below them. That was real men's PVP. Few ever wanted the one on one fights against equally matched opponents in case the lost their precious gear.

Really?

As I've said many times... The game is advertised as open-PvP with tribal safe zones being removed after Prelude. So, who is actually trying to change Jordi's vision? Who didn't actually research the game? The only people pleading and begging are the ones who want his original idea nixed.

The whole 1v1/equal thing is ridiculous, FYI. If you're dueling... Fine. If you're trying to win, you do what you need to do. It's not going to be any different here. Maybe, you should read "Playing to Win".

Darkseid
02-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Deleted

Reason: Derogatory statement.

Damn, even the mods are forum carebears.
And if the rest of you carebears love PVE so much, go play WoW or one of the 98% of all the other games out there that revolve around handholding and killing mobs and leave one of the very few potenially "hardcore pvp" games to the PVPers!

Proto
02-27-2011, 01:38 PM
FFA PvP tends to be better in theory than in practice. Communities don't police themselves. Please keep some sensible control on Xsyon so the game can have a viable playerbase.

This is wholly untrue. The Shadowbane community policed itself for years with no problems until the CN community was too much to overcome long time North American guild differences.

It's an easy practice, someone wrongs you, you burned their city down, or their mines, or you camp their city, or you grief their leveling spots.

Proto
02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Really?

As I've said many times... The game is advertised as open-PvP with tribal safe zones being removed after Prelude. So, who is actually trying to change Jordi's vision? Who didn't actually research the game? The only people pleading and begging are the ones who want his original idea nixed.

The whole 1v1/equal thing is ridiculous, FYI. If you're dueling... Fine. If you're trying to win, you do what you need to do. It's not going to be any different here. Maybe, you should read "Playing to Win".

They're oddly enough probably the same type of people that like to extol the virtues of real world accuracy in a game; well, if there were an apocalypse that people lived through, the resulting world would be FFA PVP until communities and rudimentary governments like feudal structrues, were established.

ifireallymust
02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Reality is crap, otherwise we wouldn't play games, watch movies, or read books.

While you're not giving in to the ffa pvp crowd, make sure not to give in to the superior numbers should control everything crowd, too.

Cambion
02-27-2011, 03:34 PM

No because you're ignorant.....

mrcalhou
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
When it comes to realism, the only thing I really want games to get right is the movement physics. My feeble brain has difficulty predicting movement if the physics don't mesh enough with what I'd expect to happen in real life. Hence why I do not have a subscription to Darkfall any longer.

Proto
02-27-2011, 06:43 PM
Reality is crap, otherwise we wouldn't play games, watch movies, or read books.

While you're not giving in to the ffa pvp crowd, make sure not to give in to the superior numbers should control everything crowd, too.

Philosophically I don't disagree with you about reality, however the guy making this game intends it to be realistic or facets of realism.

scambammer
02-27-2011, 07:27 PM
No because you're ignorant.....

Do you even know what ignorant means? I made a simple half joking statement and then poked fun at a troll or two and all I have gotten is nonsense responses out of you people, please call me a hypocrite like the other guy who doesn't understand the words he uses.....:confused:

ifireallymust
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Philosophically I don't disagree with you about reality, however the guy making this game intends it to be realistic or facets of realism.

Right. And the guy in question has also implemented safe zones during Prelude. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't say they should be permanent safe zones. I don't say the game shouldn't stick as close to reality as possible as often as possible, I like the realistic little details of crafting, for example, and the thing I dislike most is the scrap piles and our dependence on them. I think these are the least realistic aspect of crafting and will be glad when they're gone. Just the same, when reality infringes on enjoyment, it's time for reality to go!

Morpane
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Everyone likes to pvp. The problem is the griefer crowd from DFO and MO that see Xsyon as a new pasture. They know the game will have alot more crafters/gatherers then aforementioned games and they see this as a prime hunting/griefing ground. I like to pvp but when its either 1v1 or my guild vs your guild, THATS fun. But roving gangs of thrill killers picking off new players in noob zones does not good game play make, and is exactly what the pvp-only crowd usually degenerates to. They will deny this though and I understand why, but don't sit there and try to convince me its about freedom when you know its about laughing at the gatherer noob you just destroyed with 3 other friends, its insulting. I was born at night, but not last night.

maelwydd
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM
2 games mentioned here, DF and MO, were both games I invested a lot of time in prior to launch. I never actually bought the games because of these types of player. Now admittedly I have already invested money here but that was purely because after reading up for 2 days I realised these DF/MO types were not chaning the game into something non sustainable and unprosperous.

Big budget games can invariably return my investment by their polish and fun for an extended period of time. Independed games by nature are a little more rough around the edges and niche. The last thing a game already restricting it's inteded audiance needs to do is attrack the types of player that will only harm the games development and propserity.

Keep up the focused work devs.