PDA

View Full Version : How is the Skill Cap?

iraclear
02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I admit I was shot down in another thread cause i didn't know about the skill cap:)

How does it work? I only have DF (no cap) and fallen earth (max points in a given skill are determined by stats) to compare with, if somebody would enlighten me -

Is there a max amount of the sum of total skill points?

Niburu
02-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Tbh i think no one has a clue. Would also know how it works

naughty
02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
jooky, virtus, gimme info plz

blackzilla
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
This is no skill caps says right in the FAQ's...just sayin. There is softcaps but no ceiling caps. Just once you get soooooo high it will take longer to increase per point. That is all. Hope this helps you.

Virtus
02-23-2011, 11:12 AM
There is only a softcap. However, you will only be able ot get a few skills very high since it will take a lot of work. As you stop using skills the points in those skills will slowly drop. If you try to skill up everything you will only be able to do them all to a normal level, but nothing spectacular.

FabricSoftener
02-23-2011, 11:16 AM
From my understanding your stats can actually go down in less than a day if you do not keep food and water in your belly.
that said, stats try to move toward their base. So if it falls below your base it will move slowly back up to base after you eat and drink. If you move above your base stat it becomes harder to maintain it because it wants to naturally move back down again.

Its an intresting system I am looking forward to. If I understand the approach well it will provide everyone with a sense of progress in your character but not give vets any overbearring advantage.

Niburu
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
There is only a softcap. However, you will only be able ot get a few skills very high since it will take a lot of work. As you stop using skills the points in those skills will slowly drop. If you try to skill up everything you will only be able to do them all to a normal level, but nothing spectacular.
Ah thanks that helps. So if iam right all the gather skills count only as light skills and you can probably max them all. The softcap will be interesting when you try to level crafting and combat stuff right. It would help really much if we know at which point it slows down. But sounds good only thing i fear are maxxed fighters with one crafting ability maxxed so a pure PVP clan can supply themself, which makes dedicated crafters kinda usless. Also i fear that hardcore players get much more promoted by spending more times in there skills

Omali
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Yep.

The skills balance out because, if you want to get extremely high in one skill it will take a long time, during which your other skills will decay out of lack of use.

Virtus
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
You will need dedicated crafters or should need them if you want very high quality weapons/armor You could be the best fighter in the world but you won't do much with a butter knife.

Deacon
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
You will need dedicated crafters or should need them if you want very high quality weapons/armor You could be the best fighter in the world but you won't do much with a butter knife.

Just use the "Special" weapon bound to you...it about as good as they get. Not much need for weapon crafterss, as specials can oneshot you, and not worry about losing it.

Virtus
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
After a month or 2 though the majority of the population will not have it though.

Also they will be facing weapons like pole arms which have a much longer reach and armor that is more resistant to stabbing attacks.

blackzilla
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
After a month or 2 though the majority of the population will not have it though.

Also they will be facing weapons like pole arms which have a much longer reach and armor that is more resistant to stabbing attacks.

Thanks Virtus for taking the time in talking with us, this is great communication.

Everything will come together. :)

iraclear
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
thx for the input, crafting seems very promising in this game.

Dubanka
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Just use the "Special" weapon bound to you...it about as good as they get. Not much need for weapon crafterss, as specials can oneshot you, and not worry about losing it.

Question:
We were discussing this in vent...is this meant to mean item degradation?

Deacon
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I think he was implying that after launch, the majority of the people will be non-pre-orders, so dont get special weapon. When other forms of weapons not currently in game arrive, no one knows for sure.

Vadio
02-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Like remember special weapon maybe have decay and after several uses is lost forever :)
use carefull

Virtus
02-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Question:

Bit confused as to what you mean since I did not mention degradation.

Dubanka
02-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Bit confused as to what you mean since I did not mention degradation.

while will the majority of the population no longer have the pre-order weapons after a month or two?

Virtus
02-23-2011, 10:30 PM
while will the majority of the population no longer have the pre-order weapons after a month or two?

Because the majority of players will not be pre-orders there for will not have the pre-order weapons :)

yeah..i was a bit unclear on that, my apologies

jumpshot
02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
I took it as, in a month or two they'll have better weapons.

iraclear
02-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Question:

that's pretty clear, isn't it?
as in DF, i suppose gear will loose durability over time and get destroyed in the end. If it doesn't, what'd be the point of crafting new stuff?

Haunt
02-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Like remember special weapon maybe have decay and after several uses is lost forever :)
use carefull

Virtus, is this true? I thought the pre-order weapon was permanent?

Jadzia
02-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Virtus, is this true? I thought the pre-order weapon was permanent?
Vadio uses google translate so his sentences are often confusing. As far as I know preorder weapons are permanent.

KeithStone
02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I admit I was shot down in another thread cause i didn't know about the skill cap:)

How does it work? I only have DF (no cap) and fallen earth (max points in a given skill are determined by stats) to compare with, if somebody would enlighten me -

Is there a max amount of the sum of total skill points?

you get a max amount of starter points to put into your base stats, so you can't be good at everything.

Also, if you stop doing something in game then you start to unlearn that skill.