PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns/Pistols/Muskets

LukasBelmont
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I know that we will have bows & arrows ingame eventually, I'd like to see guns added as well for those that want ranged but not with a bow. We have metal we could make them with what we have. Maybe add them when mining becomes available.

infrared0815
03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Not sure if this changed or not. They did say that guns were not scheduled for the game. I dont understand this at all. This is supposed to be 2011, "MODERN DAY". I was hoping to see a gradual progression over the next couple of years. As time moved forward that eventually modern buildings, vehicles, weapons, armor and flight might occur as would in real life. Do you think that modern minded people would settle for just the basics? No. At some point, if the game does not progress to a more modern landscape and allow players to craft and engineer more complex and modern looking stuff, this game will die. No guns?? simply absurd.

Vadio
03-01-2011, 09:33 AM
1 year in RL = 9 year in xsyon :)

Xsyon called civilization mmorpg? :P(joke)

Andius
03-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Modern vehicles and buildings? That is going overboard for sure.

But I know when I look at the concept art of this game I do see guns, and I liked what I saw. I think asking the devs to go from very primitive weapons and tools to modern or post modern technology is freaking nuts. It would take huge amounts of work to progress the entire game system like that, and I don't think it would deliver a better product in the end.

However I think some primitive firearms and explosives could really add to the game. Some of the people who survive will remember the recipe for gunpowder, its not that hard. I don't know it off the top of my head but I know it involves saltpeter and sulfur. I'm sure just that knowledge would really speed up its rediscovery. I think it would be crazy to not eventually implement firearms. I mean those mountain man trapper and civil war style outfits just aren't going to be as awesome if we are stuck fighting with axes and knives forever. I bought the trial to this game because it looks like ripe ground to forge and empire. I would like to start small then work into a more organized society that will have things like primitive firearms and maybe even sabers.

I think adding little technological breakthroughs to the game here and there will really enhance the feeling of belonging to an evolving world where you are building back up from nothing.

Hopibear
03-06-2011, 05:07 AM
No gunzz plxx...

Sticks and stones!

Monfols
03-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Fun fact: A shotgun is 1700's was called a musketoon !
We might get guns we might won't get guns.
It is all about how we and the game evolve.

Samuel
03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
No gunzz plxx...

Sticks and stones!

hmm yes a slingshot is a very good idea ;)

Salvadore
03-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Hate to say it, but im really hoping against firearms...

It sounds very optimistic, the way the combat mechanic is supposed to go, and guns would just ruin it. Think about it - EVERYONE would have them. Your chances of surviving an ambush would be slim to none. It would make all the player made weapons/armor useless. It would change the whole entire dynamic of the game even if guns/ammo were extremely hard to get. Id imagine that, if one had access to explosive materials, they would probably develop some type of grenade, right?

You would give up crafting of many things by making them irrelevant just to add crafting of firearms.

I love pvp and love guns...but its hard for me to say that sounds like a good idea.

Chavoda
03-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Hate to say it, but im really hoping against firearms...

It sounds very optimistic, the way the combat mechanic is supposed to go, and guns would just ruin it. Think about it - EVERYONE would have them. Your chances of surviving an ambush would be slim to none. It would make all the player made weapons/armor useless. It would change the whole entire dynamic of the game even if guns/ammo were extremely hard to get. Id imagine that, if one had access to explosive materials, they would probably develop some type of grenade, right?

You would give up crafting of many things by making them irrelevant just to add crafting of firearms.

I love pvp and love guns...but its hard for me to say that sounds like a good idea.

Its a game, armor is armor no mather what weapon is used and how aswsome it be in rl. RPG..not FPS.
Bows will be in, pistols could be in. magic will be in. considering the amount of I wana have a simple pistol suggestions I suspect we will see them at some point. either placed in game by Jordi's vision or by the supreme crafters
Feature

Characters achieving the Supreme Master level of craftsmanship work with the Xsyon team to introduce a crafted item of their own design.

To me it reads: think of a Idea, if it fits the design we make it. could also mean get a unique version of a item that is already in the game recipe.. time will tell :)

Shukano
03-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Seriously, just like Chavoda said, just cause they eventually add some sort of ordinance doesn't mean it can't be balanced.
The game is going to have ranged magic and you're worried about firearms? All of this can and will work. They just need time to test and work out issues, and they technically have all the time in the world. Remember, firearms take ammo and imagine ammo would be scarce.

I'm all for firearms, cannons, dynamite, and future technologies (ie: Model T vehicles, heck even bicycles) whenever we get around to that in the future. The game is supposed to evolve with the players so it can't stay in the Dark Ages forever. We're going to have to re-discover everything together again or choose not to. This will cause some interesting clashes between tribes that want to embrace technology and those that don't. Sounds fun to me...

Thraz
03-08-2011, 02:10 PM
yes lets make guns and then we can evolve to lazors and then to giant aircraft that can travel out of our star system and we'll have an all out war with aliens then the war will destroy us again so we go back to being primitive beings lets do it!

but in all cerealnessicity no to the guns because everybody will be using guns instead of going head to head with axes, knives, and swords

mrcalhou
03-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Balanced, fun, differintiated gameplay > realism.

Zarin
03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
Judging by the concept art in the gallery, I assume we will guns and more advanced technology in the game as it progresses.

Shukano
03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
but in all cerealnessicity no to the guns because everybody will be using guns instead of going head to head with axes, knives, and swords

Why is everyone so intent on keeping this game in a completely medieval setting? Don't we have enough of those already?
Anyway, who is to say everyone would choose guns over melee. Plenty of other games have both options. Besides the first guns didn't exactly use 16 bullet clips. I'd imagine you better be a pretty good shot with your musket considering the reload time...

Thraz
03-08-2011, 05:24 PM
well basically this game is about surviving with primitive technology having too much will lead to the worlds downfall which is pretty much what happened in Xsyon

it took men thousands of years to invent guns and you want Xsyon to remake guns in less then a year? it would make sense to create catapults and large arrow chucker but i dont like the idea of having guns :\

mrcalhou
03-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Judging by the concept art in the gallery, I assume we will guns and more advanced technology in the game as it progresses.

You would think that, but the lead dev basically said that those concept pieces weren't anything more than art. Guns and technology were never envisioned for the game, but he's not going to completely rule it out in the future.

Zarin
03-08-2011, 08:00 PM
You would think that, but the lead dev basically said that those concept pieces weren't anything more than art. Guns and technology were never envisioned for the game, but he's not going to completely rule it out in the future.

Alright.

Personally I'm not a big fan of heavy duty guns in the game, seems like a huge jump in technology for the setting. I think going with muskets and revolvers would fit the setting. I think it's just important to balance out the pros/cons of guns, e.g: lower bullet count, longer to reload, loud and easily heard from a distance, etc. I think some of these may make players be more hesitant to using them and help prevent guns from becoming an overpowering weapon in the game.

mrcalhou
03-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Yeah, at the end of the day I wouldn't want any one thing to be over-powered so that no one would use anything else. At least since this is a computer game, some things can be sacrificed for the sake of balance. And I think that balance is the key thing.

chizal26
03-09-2011, 02:25 AM
i'd love there to be some level of advancement in the technology, but also a major draw back to using rusted old bits of junk as compnoents

can you imagine someone jumping out at you, leveling his homemade pipe rifle at you and 'KaBooM' it missfires and blows both his hands off and he stumbles around blind and dazed while you continue on your merry way with a smile on your face :)

ps. not saying im in favor of guns at all, just some form of progress throughout the games life

jumpshot
03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Balanced, fun, differintiated gameplay > realism.

this

Andius
03-14-2011, 12:29 AM
Maybe. But realistic muskets have never been done before. You could make the inaccurate, 3 rounds a minute, etc. It would change up combat but would it entirely destroy it, or make everything but firearms irrelevant? No. People would use it to get off a powerful shot to weaken up their enemy (If it hits) before charging into hand to hand combat. Besides they already promised us archery so ranged combat is a given.

I personally would love to have a character with a longrifle. Would be so darn much fun.

Just like in real history. Hand to hand combat won't loose its relevance until you have firearms that kill quickly, get off a lot of rounds quickly, and are accurate.