PDA

View Full Version : THe problem with junk piles

Skylock
02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
I really am frustrated with how overwhelmingly important junk piles have become in the game. Without having access to a junk pile near you, you are borderline unable to craft from any of the professions or to do anything effectively. This wouldn't bother me so much, but because the junk piles are located in areas that used to be actual places there is a HUGE portion of the map that is near inaccessible because there are no junk piles within walking distance. If I could have my tribe mine and grow cotton and be able to retrieve the resources necessary without using junk piles, I would. These things are not implemented yet and I understand that they are being worked on. But, my issue here is that when launch comes, there will be a massive land grab for the spots that have junk on them, after that what do we do? What are the players that purchase the game and start on March 15th going to do when most of the junk pile land masses are taken and they are forced to setup tribes in the mountains where one can't get access to a junk pile without walking for 10 minutes? The only real solution I can find to this is to have junk piles scattered about the map so that tribes can be built anywhere in the lush land you've developed. Unfortunately, until the resource gathering abilities are implemented in game, I cannot think of any other solution. This issue really worries me, I see grave potential for the game to turn into nothing but the PvP death match clamored about on the forums because every tribe has to cluster around the few junk pile centers or not be able to craft barely anything.

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
start earlier and hope?

fflhktsn
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Our tribe is nowhere near any junk pile.

I guess all we can do is loot finished good off people who are near them =(

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:06 PM
Our tribe is nowhere near any junk pile.

I guess all we can do is loot finished good off people who are near them =(

Aya Aya Sir, however for my group we've found a Junk Pile no one has taken for the last week after the wipes we waited and watched ^_^ just to make sure.

Sorakin
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
I would not be so sure of that furanku, especially with that link in your sig showing how to get to your own base camp. Reap what you sow.

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:14 PM
I would not be so sure of that furanku, especially with that link in your sig showing how to get to your own base camp. Reap what you sow.

It's alll Apart of my Master Plan man ^_^ That junk pile is my hunting ground ^_^

P.s. anyone else who watches it ^_^ please come visit VERYYYYyyyyy sooon with loads of stuff.

Sorakin
02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I was there earlier popping a squat on your totem and sizing up your junk pile.

fflhktsn
02-23-2011, 07:19 PM

pretty sure hes the kind of guy that sleeps with his front door open inorder to invite intruders...might want to be careful about squatting there...

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:19 PM

ook? If you are talkinga bout the one in the video, there are 3 other piles located nearby of it ^_^ that is the base camp ^_^. But hey ^_^ You must know what I am thinking. Yar rock yo

darth_vato
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
It's alll Apart of my Master Plan man ^_^ That junk pile is my hunting ground ^_^

P.s. anyone else who watches it ^_^ please come visit VERYYYYyyyyy sooon with loads of stuff.

You should use more emoticons in your next post.

KeithStone
02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Skylock, don't worry about junk piles- find the actual rare resources in the game and stockpile- people will be begging to give you their junk for what you have.

Do some exploring and research, you'll figure out the junk piles are not as valuable as most seem to think.

Also, when building your city- base on structures you can craft 100% of the materials yourself, like brick walls.

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
You should use more emoticons in your next post.

It is hard to find the right momment for ^^ and ^_^ but It hink so far ^_^ is my trademark lol.
however, thank you for taking notice.

furanku
02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Also, when building your city- base on structures you can craft 100% of the materials yourself, like brick walls.

I agree +1

jumpshot
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Ya junk may be all the rage now, it'll be interesting to see how many people are screwed when we need the next level of mats.

So... ya it's probably better that there aren't junk piles every 100 yards.

Zephyr
02-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Also, we still don't know if junk piles will be magically replenished when the tiles are exhausted. So it's entirely possible that all junk piles will be converted to dirt mounds after a few months.

Shaggy
02-23-2011, 10:08 PM
If you would actually take the time to explore a little more, you'll find hidden junk piles up in the mountains. Shit, I must have found 20 or 30 by now throughout my travels in game.

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 12:25 AM
You even get far more leather from the scrap piles than you do from actually skinning animals, thats wrong imo at least make hunting viable for something apart from bones.

ArrakisTheDragon
02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Junkpiles will be important yes but the tribes in the mountains will have an advantage I think. Wildlife will more then likely be more abundant in the mountains, rare resources can be mined from the mountains like quartz which I am sure will have an important role in the game in the use of magic and other things. Honestly you just cant have it all on a silver plater, somethings you will have, somethings you will not. Im sure that junkpiles will have some sort of negative buff added to them or should have. Junk piles should also void the land of growth and poison nearby water supplies, killing fish and wildlife? Something could also be added to where if you dig in a spot and you can find a junkpile. If you look at it though, the junk piles are aligned to where towns once were so having them in the wilderness would just be plain silly and inaccurate.

Have you seen the lands to the far east? I ventured there and with my draw distance maxed on my card, theres a whole city just beyond the green mist and it spans the entire mountain range. This is actually Carson City, if you look on Google Earth it can guide you to what towns will be nearby (in which there will be junk piles).

dlld
02-24-2011, 01:53 AM
There's tons of junkpiles out in the fog, if there truly is no suitable land left to build on I'm sure the devs will remove some of the fog.

KeithStone
02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Also, we still don't know if junk piles will be magically replenished when the tiles are exhausted. So it's entirely possible that all junk piles will be converted to dirt mounds after a few months.

if it's anything like beta, try a few days.

Larsa
02-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Aya Aya Sir, however for my group we've found a Junk Pile no one has taken for the last week after the wipes we waited and watched ^_^ just to make sure.There is no such thing as a junk pile not taken. Your totem now stands about 3 meters from where my totem stood 3 days ago.

Larsa
02-24-2011, 03:35 AM
I really am frustrated with how overwhelmingly important junk piles have become in the game. ...It really is no problem with the junk piles. It makes sense that they are where they are.

The problem is that there is no other resource of value than the ones from a junk pile. Maybe that all changes over the months but as of now if you're living in the mountains (I currently do) you have nothing that people near junk piles would want. You just have no trade goods. Bones, leather, fur etc. are easier to find on a junk pile than in the mountains, the only other resource in the mountains is chalk and demand for chalk is very, very low.

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 03:39 AM
It really is no problem with the junk piles. It makes sense that they are where they are.

The problem is that there is no other resource of value than the ones from a junk pile. Maybe that all changes over the months but as of now if you're living in the mountains (I currently do) you have nothing that people near junk piles would want. You just have no trade goods. Bones, leather, fur etc. are easier to find on a junk pile than in the mountains, the only other resource in the mountains is chalk and demand for chalk is very, very low.

i agree i mentioned earlier about leather and i have talked to a guide in game about it too. Whats the point in hunting for leather when u can pull stacks of 4/5 a time of a scrap pile every few minutes where each animal you hunt may give 1.

its not that people have an issue with scrap piles completly its just when they make other gameplay options not viable.

pluzoid
02-24-2011, 03:51 AM
There are plenty of spots in this game, you just have to venture out and up.
Did you even head up into the mountains? or was you still in the same zone as the starter spawn site?

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 04:00 AM
There are plenty of spots in this game, you just have to venture out and up.
Did you even head up into the mountains? or was you still in the same zone as the starter spawn site?

It might seem at the moment like there are plently of spots but thats partly because the majority of people are not playing right now. There have been wipes and roll backs very frequently and so you may find a spot with no totem on it but a couple of days before there probably was.

Im not saying there are NO places left but after launch we will find fairly quickly that they are taken. Some resources would be better sourced from other places to increase the amount of choice (which jooky refers to a lot) when deciding your play style. As i said before hunting for leather for example is pointless when its easier to get from a scrap pile.

KeithStone
02-24-2011, 04:19 AM
As i said before hunting for leather for example is pointless when its easier to get from a scrap pile.

I haven't done any resource gathering since beta- now that they have quality ratings on things, do the scrap piles leather have a quality rating?

My best guess would be that scrap piles quality of leather would be less than the quality of leather obtained from hunting, if it's not then it should be.

This would make your leather worth a lot more, and trust me finding bones from animals is much harder around the lake than it is from the mountains.

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 04:24 AM
My best guess would be that scrap piles quality of leather would be less than the quality of leather obtained from hunting.

If thats true then great i may test it out.

Kroom
02-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Have you seen the lands to the far east?

You will only find misery and death... Muhahahahahahahah! :p

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 06:58 AM
If you are having trouble finding junk pikes you must be blind. They are literally all over the place.

SlightlyEvil
02-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Hey Furanku, can you tell me what zone your starting in so I don't have to see that dumb face on local chat all day?