PDA

View Full Version : cheat: how to obtain all sta tools on ur character

bluenose
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Hey devs.
I guess that most players already know this cheat and some use it. However I wanted to make sure that this is dealt with.
Since starter tools are not bound to your character, you can make a specialized crafter, log him into game, drop his bag somewhere with permission set to everyone, erase him, make another crafter with different tools. Rinse, untill u cycle all the crafter and voila u have a player with all the starter tools.

Love the game btw (when its not broken)

Virtus
02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
However the starter tools are of poor quality and will break easily. Thus they will make poor quality tools that aren't of much use.

bluenose
02-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Granted im playing for only one week, but im yet to see any of them breaking. I dont think decay is implemented to game yet

dark
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Granted im playing for only one week, but im yet to see any of them breaking. I dont think decay is implemented to game yet

its not.

ifireallymust
02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, after the upcoming really-final-this-time wipe, people who do this as solo players will have to make a decision. Go for the tools, or go for a better chance of getting whatever tribe location they scouted out in advance. Even if I was told this was okay to do and not merely tolerated, I'd still rather put priority on where I want to drop a totem. That said, starting as a solo player is a bit of a pain when you don't stash tools and reroll. I have no idea what recipes I'll get, and if I start as a toolmaker there's no telling how long it will be before I can trade for or make the tools required for basketry so I can leave my safe area without taking what I can't replace out with me. It's doable.

orious13
02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
I'd rather skill up toolcrafting so I can make those tools than re-rolling multiple times.

If the tools break very fast (few days... I hope not), then those who didn't realize that they'd break might then be worse off without the ability to recraft similar tools.

The initial push to re-roll seems more powerful than the push not to atm, but I won't be doing it. Someone also noted that there was a trend to get less total crafting recipes the more one re-rolled. That could have been entirely random, but a trend nonetheless.

r4NGe
02-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Does beating someone to death with a shovel wear it down?

Zephyr
02-23-2011, 11:30 PM
I read somewhere on these forums that someone tried grinding through multiple characters and noticed that every new character they rolled started with fewer recipes. that could just be random, but perhaps that's a bit of code they put in to discourage this kind of tactic.

jumpshot
02-24-2011, 01:39 AM
What's the problem with this again?

I guess one could just camp the starter area and kill other peolpe's toons for starting tools. Would that be better?

Kurpitsa
02-24-2011, 03:22 AM
I think starting tools is currently a dumb limit. I made a character I wanted, and without knowing what tools I'd get, I ended up with 3 different blades. The special blade, a combat knife and some skinners knife or whatever. I didn't even have a fishing pole. Without aid or looting other people, I have no idea how you can get started with that.

That's why, unless I find another answer, I'm gonna use this exploit after the final wipe. I wanna be able to start doing some practical stuff right away (like cutting down trees and fishing).

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
What's the problem with this again?

I guess one could just camp the starter area and kill other peolpe's toons for starting tools. Would that be better?

Just make starter tools non lootable and put a 24h timer pn creating new characters. We might actually get some interaction and trade then.

Phayz
02-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Just make starter tools non lootable and put a 24h timer pn creating new characters. We might actually get some interaction and trade then.

This would work fine ( i know i have said this before but )
Alot of times when you roll your toon you get crap recipes and even missing a tool, so in order to get a good start sometimes you have to reroll a few times until you are happy, putting a timer on reroll would prevent that from happening as well, and who wants to be a fisherman without a fishing pole, or a basketry weaver without being able to make a freakin basket

Although i do agree, something should be done about starter tool rerolling and hoarding starter tools

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 03:36 AM
This would work fine ( i know i have said this before but )
Alot of times when you roll your toon you get crap recipes and even missing a tool, so in order to get a good start sometimes you have to reroll a few times until you are happy, putting a timer on reroll would prevent that from happening as well, and who wants to be a fisherman without a fishing pole, or a basketry weaver without being able to make a freakin basket

Although i do agree, something should be done about starter tool rerolling and hoarding starter tools

I know what you;re saying but the answer isnt to get people to keep re rolling. The answer is for problem of random recipies throwing up combinations that are not viable to be fixed by the devs. Luckily this should be happenening at some point, i have PM's xsyon about it in the past when i started with a set of recipies which i could complete none of because my tools were not right. He said they would be looking at this issue over the coming months.

Fix the cause of the problem rather than just reacting to it i suppose im saying

Honelith
02-24-2011, 03:46 AM
If you can't be bothered to make these tools and choose this method to get them quickly, why oh why are you playing this game? Set yourself a challenge for a change.

Phayz
02-24-2011, 03:53 AM
If you can't be bothered to make these tools and choose this method to get them quickly, why or why are you playing this game? Set yourself a challenge for a change.

/agree 100%

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 03:58 AM
/agree 100%

yep me too but unfortunately people do and then the next person feels like they're at a dsiadvantage and so does the same and so on. Just fix the cause of the problem and we'll be fine. Just to make it clear though i play solo and have never rerolled for recipies or tools and i wont after final final wipe.

tredo
02-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Starting tools being non-lootable is a good idea, however, they still need to be tradeable. I have loaned a knife to someone for a little bit so that they could do a bit of crafting. I have given someone my starter fishing pole because I was able to make an "anglers rod" and didn't need my starter one any longer. Starter tools be tradeable is the base point to begin trading with others.

24h reroll is a bad idea, like many have already stated, I reroll a few times to find that set of tool recipes that I know work well and that others will need early on in the game. I don't think that this practice goes against the lore or heart of the game.

Kurpitsa
02-24-2011, 04:50 AM
If you can't be bothered to make these tools and choose this method to get them quickly, why oh why are you playing this game? Set yourself a challenge for a change.

How do you make them? I looked at toolcraft, it didn't have anything like an axe or a fishing pole. If I don't want to kill people or use this method, how am I suppose to get started without forced to take certain crafting skills?

Boojie
02-24-2011, 04:58 AM
I can't see the point in wanting everything straight away. I've rerolled whenever the server has wiped, and had varying success with the recipes provided, however, by working through what I could make, I have at worst been constrained over a lack of storage, and over time, become self sufficient, or found other players to trade with.
There are people willing enough to exchange a tool for another, or for some recipes, or some nice bits of scavenged 'shiny stuff'

My take on it, and it is purely for me, each to their own, is that it's like cheating at golf, where's the satisfaction in that?

Larsa
02-24-2011, 05:44 AM
... My take on it, and it is purely for me, each to their own, is that it's like cheating at golf, where's the satisfaction in that?Of course I agree with you, but then, this is a PvP game and (with my apologies to the honest PvPers, I know you exist) any PvP game attracts a certain type of player that uses every cheat and exploit they can find.

Yes, it's cheating, they call it "smart use of game mechanics". Frequently it's people that do not find enjoyment in playing but find enjoyment in winning instead.

iraclear
02-24-2011, 05:53 AM
How do you make them? I looked at toolcraft, it didn't have anything like an axe or a fishing pole. If I don't want to kill people or use this method, how am I suppose to get started without forced to take certain crafting skills?

So you can't craft, don't wanna trade with ppl and don't wanna kill ppl and you feel the game should be tweaked to make this a successful playstyle. My angle is that the current system makes you interact with other pl either to cooperate or to pvp, which is a good thing imo.

I actually met you ingame, we crafted a bit together and you were even offered to join our tribe i think? How is this not a solution to getting the tools you need?

Honelith
02-24-2011, 05:55 AM
If you can't make something, craft things and discover new recipes, or have someone in the game craft it for you and repay them with either gathered resources or craft them something they can't. It's how the game works.

Bone
02-24-2011, 06:45 AM
It would be nice if they just started us with all the starter tools after they put tool decay in. It really sucks not to be able to craft something because I don't have a crafting knife. If no one from my guild is on the game goes from being a fun I can do what I want to do, too 15 mins worth of looking tough the action menu to see what I can do. I have never used this exploit but I will now.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Even if people aren't rerolling to get tools they will reroll to get the random recipe that they want. Why would I want to wait till lvl 50 to get Daogwa assault armor on my basket weaver when i can reroll a couple times and get the recipe at the beginning?

Redemp
02-24-2011, 06:51 AM
It's not a cheat at all ... if they would fix the problem it wouldn't be necessary for some to do. Its no different than someone rerolling to have the correct tools he needs to get started, with item decay in the tools should be used up and the real trading will begin.
I am not sure why some people find issue with the simplest of things , let them reroll a ton of times to get their tools ... I'll be grabbing my land.

Ronus
02-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Even if people aren't rerolling to get tools they will reroll to get the random recipe that they want. Why would I want to wait till lvl 50 to get Daogwa assault armor on my basket weaver when i can reroll a couple times and get the recipe at the beginning?^^^This.
This is why I reroll...

Kurpitsa
02-24-2011, 07:16 AM
So you can't craft, don't wanna trade with ppl and don't wanna kill ppl and you feel the game should be tweaked to make this a successful playstyle. My angle is that the current system makes you interact with other pl either to cooperate or to pvp, which is a good thing imo.

I actually met you ingame, we crafted a bit together and you were even offered to join our tribe i think? How is this not a solution to getting the tools you need?

It's a solution. Another solution would be to make everyone, right from the beginning, able to craft simple starter tools. Take a stick and go fish. Congratulations, now you have means not to starve. Collect a few sticks and stone and make yourself an axe. With this axe, you can now chop down trees to build small items. This would give you the slightest indication on what to do after character creation and get the newcomer excited about crafting and learning more.

Currently, you're forced to either creating a character you might not want or to a forced play-style. I don't mind that soloing is made hard and whatsoever, but these are starter tools were talking about. Why are they made so complicated?

fflhktsn
02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
It's a solution. Another solution would be to make everyone, right from the beginning, able to craft simple starter tools. Take a stick and go fish. Congratulations, now you have means not to starve. Collect a few sticks and stone and make yourself an axe. With this axe, you can now chop down trees to build small items. This would give you the slightest indication on what to do after character creation and get the newcomer excited about crafting and learning more.

Currently, you're forced to either creating a character you might not want or to a forced play-style. I don't mind that soloing is made hard and whatsoever, but these are starter tools were talking about. Why are they made so complicated?

you just dont get it do you?

lemme guess...linear quests is a solution to a problem your having as well?

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
Another "solution" would be to go play a single player game if you don't want to interact with anyone.

Kurpitsa
02-24-2011, 07:28 AM
you just dont get it do you?

lemme guess...linear quests is a solution to a problem your having as well?

Quests? Why are you bringing them on the table? I thought the current Tribe quest feature is really awesome. :)

Bone
02-24-2011, 07:31 AM

I like the idea of being able to craft starter tools with no tools. It not about just wanting to play solo its about the game being interesting from jump street for a newb. So they can play a bit and then decide they are better off joining a tribe forcing people to do things is never a good thing.

esudar
02-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Even if people aren't rerolling to get tools they will reroll to get the random recipe that they want. Why would I want to wait till lvl 50 to get Daogwa assault armor on my basket weaver when i can reroll a couple times and get the recipe at the beginning?

because its cheating

esudar
02-24-2011, 07:32 AM

good idea

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Why is it cheating? That's your opinion. Rerolling my character to turn out how I want him is in no way cheating. I have every right to reroll as many times as I want.

fflhktsn
02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
However the starter tools are of poor quality and will break easily. Thus they will make poor quality tools that aren't of much use.

its not cheating.

anyway i could just steal the very same tools from new characters spawning...is that cheating?

meh who cares, not like we can play anyway

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
its not cheating.

anyway i could just steal the very same tools from new characters spawning...is that cheating?

meh who cares, not like we can play anyway

According to the carebears taking their tools is cheating.

KeithStone
02-24-2011, 07:41 AM
Hey devs.
I guess that most players already know this cheat and some use it. However I wanted to make sure that this is dealt with.
Since starter tools are not bound to your character, you can make a specialized crafter, log him into game, drop his bag somewhere with permission set to everyone, erase him, make another crafter with different tools. Rinse, untill u cycle all the crafter and voila u have a player with all the starter tools.

Love the game btw (when its not broken)

lol, this was the only way to get things for a while in beta.

fflhktsn
02-24-2011, 07:50 AM
According to the carebears taking their tools is cheating.

According to the whispers i get from them.....im a fucking douchebag punk kid...a loser in life....and mommys out of the house so i can now pk people...at least according to them in game when i take their tools.

Sucks to be a whiny pvpers crybaby....wait...

Draakan
02-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Hmm do people really have this problem of not getting a fishing pole when they take the fishing skill to start? I have rolled every single char I have made as a fisher and have yet to not get my fishing pole. I get it some people do not know where to look for it when they start as it is not in your bag. It is on your back and you need to go into the Inventory and grab it off your back and place it in your hand.

Borluc
02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Why is it cheating? That's your opinion. Rerolling my character to turn out how I want him is in no way cheating. I have every right to reroll as many times as I want.

Are you serious? You don't have the right to do anything within the game unless they state you do. You agree to follow the rules that they set down when you log into the game with a license to the client. If they decided to alter the user agreement to state that if you reroll more than once a day you are banned for a week, you have no right to challenge that. You would have a choice though, wait or quit.

Anyway, what I see here really represents the fear I have for this game. Everyone will just exploit and bend the rules until all the systems that the devs worked so hard to implement are basically broken. The whole reason we start with limited gear is to try to simulate a survival situation and work together to rebuild society (or not). When you undermine that, you undermine the spirit of the game. The same goes for outsmarting the random craft generator. If we are allowed to do so, people will just keep rerolling to get that FOTM "build" until everyone is basically the same. In other words, less interdependency.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Hmm do people really have this problem of not getting a fishing pole when they take the fishing skill to start? I have rolled every single char I have made as a fisher and have yet to not get my fishing pole. I get it some people do not know where to look for it when they start as it is not in your bag. It is on your back and you need to go into the Inventory and grab it off your back and place it in your hand.

The problem is they think they deserve a fishing pole even though they didn't choose fishing, and the rest of them are just too dumb to look in the inventory screen. I mean you can see the fishing pole on your back if you chose fishing. I think the problem is that these kids today can't be bothered to figure things out on their own and just need everything handed to them or they throw fits.

Kurpitsa
02-24-2011, 08:21 AM
The problem is they think they deserve a fishing pole even though they didn't choose fishing, and the rest of them are just too dumb to look in the inventory screen. I mean you can see the fishing pole on your back if you chose fishing. I think the problem is that these kids today can't be bothered to figure things out on their own and just need everything handed to them or they throw fits.

The real problem is, why can't you create a starters fishing pole from the very beginning? I think it should be one of the starter recipes, no matter what professions you chose. As a starter tool, it should also be quite easy to create, something that won't take you an hour to collect the materials needed.

I just get the feeling that a newcomer that isn't instantly in a Tribe and wants to try things out by himself before joining one, is required to do too much ground grinding. Grass, junk piles, scavenging, branches... I love collecting resources, but there should simple enough craft recipes right from the beginning that you get into the feeling of actually creating something that's useful. Such as a starters fishing pole.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I'll agree hat a very basic set of tools should be craftable by anyone. Just make a very crude toolset that can be made from grass, rocks, and branches. That way if you lose your starter tools you don't have to be a crybaby and reroll. I think anything soulbound is a bad idea and i plan on destroying my soulbound weapon if at all possible.

Zenmaster13
02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
I'll agree hat a very basic set of tools should be craftable by anyone. Just make a very crude toolset that can be made from grass, rocks, and branches. That way if you lose your starter tools you don't have to be a crybaby and reroll. I think anything soulbound is a bad idea and i plan on destroying my soulbound weapon if at all possible.

So let me get this right. You want to substitute one easy solution with another easy solution, that essentially does the exact same thing. Bound tools, or bound starter recipes(requiring no tools). Do you even listen to yourself argue?

ps, pleas stop using the WOW term soulbound. It's just bound, and does not require a soul

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 08:44 AM
You want SOULBOUND tools I want a solution that ties in with the spirit of the game. You want everything given to you. I want people to work for what they have.

Taruna
02-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Oi

In my opinion, re-rolling is not cheating. Why? Because even if this game is supposed to give a challenge by giving limited tools and crafting recipes, it's far from being perfect. As already mentioned, the ability to craft -basic- tools without.. tools is not given.
So someone who's "not cheating" and wants a fishing pole will wait at the spawn point, stab the next fisher two-three times and got his pole, yay. Not a solution, drama-potential 110%

Also, I had the special case where I logged in after a wipe as a Basketeer and couldn't craft grass plates or baskets. Doesn't sound this bad so far, unless I mention that -all- grass-clothes in my recipe book needed grass plates and Tools I didn't have from the start or available in the recipe book. Rerolling at that point is mandatory, calling it "cheating" more of a proof of "first complaining and then thinking, if thinking is available".

Also, the complains about people that "amass crafting tools" by rerolling a few times appears to be not as bad. Even if they stuff their starter bag full with them, they will decay, and if all the shiny tools are broken after a week, they simply put all their belongings in a basket, reroll and fine. IF someone chooses not to interact with the others and stay a lone-wolf all the time, he's allowed to. He pays the fee to play in the way HE and HE alone decides to.

I suggest to those who feel "cheated" to lean back, think a while and then ask yourself "Why am I bothering with those who are not interested in interaction and don't concentrate to those, who aim for cooperative gaming?"

I for my part will to hell to bother with what others don't want to do and will concentrate on what I want to do and with who, that's less headache.

Zenmaster13
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
You want SOULBOUND tools I want a solution that ties in with the spirit of the game. You want everything given to you. I want people to work for what they have.

Do you think putting the word in all caps makes it more so. Let me try BOUND. Nah no effect, just yelling. How much work is required to make bound recipes, with basic ingredients? Not that i disagree with the idea, but really, you are still making it much easier, thus reducing the hard work you are clamouring for. What you want is just that, what YOU want. Many others pay as well. I could care less if the tools are bound or not. I wil keep playing. I am just trying to help find solutions, like an adult. You however, are just making alot of enemies, which will make you quit faster than I. If you want to know what I want, ask me. Making assumptions just debunks anything valid you might have to say. Cool down and grow up.

Dontaze_Mebro
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
I'm not suggesting that making tools needs to be hard... never did in fact. Only that bound tools are too easy a solution. In Wurm you have the same issues. You need a tool that you simply cannot make at the beginning of the game. You have to beg for it or steal it from someone's camp. My suggestion of basic tools that can be made from basic materials is much better than magic tools that you can't drop. I really don;t want my inventory completely clogged up with starter tools,

jumpshot
02-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Are you serious? You don't have the right to do anything within the game unless they state you do. You agree to follow the rules that they set down when you log into the game with a license to the client. If they decided to alter the user agreement to state that if you reroll more than once a day you are banned for a week, you have no right to challenge that. You would have a choice though, wait or quit.

Okay, so since this is an option in the game right now, I guess it's not cheating. Glad we cleared that up!

But seriously folks... this just seems like one of those issues where 95% of the people who agree with the OP are in large clans and aren't going to be forced to trade with people they don't know or trust. So from their high horse of privilege they can tell the rest of us what we should be doing in the "spirit of the game."

Zenmaster13
02-24-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm not suggesting that making tools needs to be hard... never did in fact. Only that bound tools are too easy a solution. In Wurm you have the same issues. You need a tool that you simply cannot make at the beginning of the game. You have to beg for it or steal it from someone's camp. My suggestion of basic tools that can be made from basic materials is much better than magic tools that you can't drop. I really don;t want my inventory completely clogged up with starter tools,

First, thank you for the more mature post. I don't want anything clogging my inventory either. I think what people are suggesting is that the starter tools are unlootable, not bound. The reasoning for this, is that you can still store, or trade the tools if you need. I think either solution would work. Starter, unlootable tools, or starter recipes for the basic tools of your chosen crafting profession.

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Look guys, i have said this before i know but the situation as it is now is not perfect, of course a system where people feel the need to re roll characters to get a viable build cant be perfect. But, i have PM'd Jooky about this a little while ago when the tools i was given were no good for any of the recipies i got.

He acknowledged that at the moment is purely based on luck but he was looking at changing that system soon after launch.

Taruna
02-24-2011, 09:18 AM
Look guys, i have said this before i know but the situation as it is now is not perfect, of course a system where people feel the need to re roll characters to get a viable build cant be perfect. But, i have PM'd Jooky about this a little while ago when the tools i was given were no good for any of the recipies i got.

He acknowledged that at the moment is purely based on luck but he was looking at changing that system soon after launch.

Soon after is a little late, isn't it?

bruisie159
02-24-2011, 09:46 AM
Soon after is a little late, isn't it?

Well yeah but a lot of things are supposed be happeneing soon after launch we just have to deal with it and try to enjoy the game for what it is until then

PeonSanders911
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Totally agree.....24h on new characters......easy fix

orious13
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Man.. oh man.

Someone said that the people that don't care are the one in large guilds? I'm solo and I don't care. I'll be making my tools (without toolcrafting as a starter) and will have spares for when those that do this break all of theirs and don't have spares. I would agree that that it would be slightly more "fair" to reject the ability to exploit the character creation system (this is exploitation...), but making people wait hours to re-roll is a bad decision. Re-rolling is fine, gathering all of the tools via re-rolling is actually an exploit.

You need to re-roll to find the best combination of what you want. It does not matter what you choose at the beginning. You shouldn't be looking at short-term character goals, but LONG-TERM goals. If you look at the short term (picking a combo that gives 3 knives for example) you will be at a disadvantage. My character choice has SO MANY tools at the beginning and so many recipes available to him. I did do a lot of testing to find out what I wanted, but I realized that with the decay system soon to be in place, what I choose at the start (besides stats) does not matter. If you pick a set of options that will not allow you to craft or fight, you can not play solo. It's as simple as that. It makes sense.

Yokilla
02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
It seems to me that if the DEV team wants to abolish this exploit they can. It would require that starter items be identified as starter items and as such are not tradable. Or that starter items are identified as starter items and the original owner of the starter item is recorded. If the original owner is deleted then so is the starter item. Of course that means I could make some early trades, realise that I hate the toon I've created and the delete the toon a few hours or days later and thus ninja delete their items. *shrugs* I like the exploit better :D