PDA

View Full Version : Favorite MMO PvP Game

Robbhood
02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
What is yours? What tools weapons are used? Skill v. gear?

The purist skill based MMO for pvp I have ever played is WWIIOL. A skilled player can take an inferior piece of equipmnt (tank, plane, rifle, etc...) and kill an enemy.

You would have to know you stuff, a skilled pilot could take up, say a spitfire MKI and defeat a less skilled FW190 driver.

BTW: victory comes when one side captures 95% or so of enemy towns, in which there are several 100. A single campaign takes, usually on the average, 50-60 days of 24/7 combat. All of weastern Europe at 1/2 scale, no zomes or instances.

furanku
02-24-2011, 03:11 PM
98-2001 Utlima Online ; unrivaled PVP quality and Loot gain ^_^ Community was kick ass too, until they made forums and EAgames bought it.
2001-2011 Eve Online ^_^

Did Darkfall and MOrtal was not too impressed.

FabricSoftener
02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Darkfall. but my list of MMOs I have played is not long.

lets see....
at any given time. bow, knife, heal staff, combat staff needs to be instantly available to me, so that is ~, Tab, Q and E
mouse roll left, right, center as well as two extra mouse keys so I can get around the following:

20 combat spells I used often (some of those 20 are debuff spells).
10 heal/utility spells (utility spells for bunny hopping, wall of force, stormblast to get out of tight combat situations)
20 buff others
20 buff selfs.

and...I am not good at pvp.
and I still havent mastered the player skill required to do confusion spin and run, bunnyhopping reliablty or get out of wall of force

Niburu
02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Darkfall has the best combat once you have every utilities. However it was MUCH better at release and beta when you didn't need to buff and no over powered wall of force and 3 different blinds for each player

FabricSoftener
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Darkfall has the best combat once you have every utilities. However it was MUCH better at release and beta when you didn't need to buff and no over powered wall of force and 3 different blinds for each player

basically, to be frank, it was flat out easier then.

I personally think its more fun now but i just feel old, I cant keep up but I know players who are good who are my age.

esudar
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
darkfall of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTc5WAI8ua4&feature=feedu

unworthy ones

FabricSoftener
02-24-2011, 03:21 PM
darkfall of course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTc5WAI8ua4&feature=feedu

unworthy ones
my favorite darkfall pvp video ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJETzhlMAEE&feature=related

its long worth watching most of it

Badaboom
02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Easily Darkfall.

furanku
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dothx/archery31709.jpg

This was 1st Day of Darkfall Launch (the one server one not NA/EU)

BigCountry
02-24-2011, 04:11 PM
1.) UO
2.) Shadowbane

I would list Darkfall 3rd but I was so horrible at that game....lol! I did enjoy Darkfall though. I made the Euro gamer review when it first came out, that was me that killed the author over and over. :D

JCatano
02-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Darkfall by far. The combat mechanics are heads above all other MMOs (that have RPG aspects).

WWII Online is awesome, too. Very realistic combat and physics.

vagabond80
02-24-2011, 04:41 PM
1) Fantasy Earth Zero- skill based system where you had to aim/dodge attacks. Also only F2P game I have ever played that wasn't wallet vs wallet
2) Knight Online - Combat felt fluid but ultimately was killed by macro'ers/hacks
3) Ultima Online - I liked the free for all PvP that the game had and as a crafter I actually fondly remember the mad dash back to town with a load of ore while the crossbow PK'ers chased me. Unfortunately it wasn't skill based it was too equipment/grind based for my taste.

baka77
02-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Interesting question. I would wonder if people are basing their opinion on the actual combat systems or the PvP ruleset/mechanics.

For example, I loved the PvP combat in Age of Conan, pre-battleground WoW, & Chronicles of Spellborn. However, none of those games had very good PvP incentives or mechanics. Shadowbane had great mechanics with the sieges & what not, DaoC had sweet RvR. However, I didn't really enjoy the combat style as much there. Sadly, I never tried Darkfall...too many friends of mine said it was complete crap & run by a bunch of morons who let everyone macro the hell out of the game. I watched their vids on youtube, but it always looked like a bunny hopping spam-fest. I kinda wish I had tried it now.

In the end, I probably had the most fun with pre-battleground WoW & RFO (anyone remember that game? lol) than any other game. Those games got me hooked on PvP, despite their obvious shortcomings.

mrcalhou
02-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Eve. I think it had the best ruleset of any of the pvp focused games. It actually let us PvE'ers do something without getting jumped all the time. Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind it in Darkfall. I just didn't like Darkfall's movement physics.

oneyedwang
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Makes me sad to see only one mention of shadowbane in here.
Shadowbane hands down honorable mention to uo(done first and done right counts for something)

BigCountry
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Makes me sad to see only one mention of shadowbane in here.
Shadowbane hands down honorable mention to uo(done first and done right counts for something)

Completely agree. Shadowbane was legandary.

Soulwanderer
02-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Shadowbane was incredible. Experiencing asset destruction, politics, and that many different ways to play the game has soured me on just about every other PvP MMO since.

Stevro
02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
I dont think I could go past Ultima Online, It wasnt flash graphics but the PvP was Insane they had Item Insurance so you didnt mind putting yer best shit on for fear of losing it (If ya had money in the bank)not like Darkfall where ya run round in crap incase some one ganks ya, Oh and the fact a Mage can run in his jocks and do massive damage and a Mele player needs 100k of shit on to be competitive, Ultima had Random Item Properties so you never knew just what your oponent was realy packing .... It was the bomb... and so intense and fast paced. Just my opinion but .. Stevro Archer King.. Oceania lol

mrcalhou
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Darkfall definitely had some good ideas, but the execution did fall a bit short when it came to item stats and properties. It always felt like a persistant arena type game to me. I should probably check out UO, though. I love Eve, but the combat mechanics leave a lot to be desired for me.

scambammer
02-25-2011, 05:27 AM
I've played alot of mmos but I think the most fun I've ever had pvping is not an mmo. I <3 LoL.....

esudar
02-25-2011, 05:38 AM
I've played alot of mmos but I think the most fun I've ever had pvping is not an mmo. I <3 LoL.....

embarassing to say the least

scambammer
02-25-2011, 05:44 AM
embarassing to say the least
spoken like a true mmo pvper w/out enough skill to succeed in LoL....
this game and it's pvp is a mild relaxing distraction from LoL for me ....for when my brain can't handle League's insanity...

Vadio
02-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Warhammer
PvP allday without much level / gear grind
Problem : Balance

Bear5732
02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Ultima Online - best so far - all others have been just poor imitations
Everquest - PVP was fun, GMs were dicks unfortunately (Sony - go figure)
Neocron - cyborgs and fps oh my
Darkfall - the first real good copy of Ultima Online PVP style of play - unfortunately the game was a bigger grind then UO

I played WWII Online as well on release, however that game was extremely buggy and unoptimized for the first year or two of release - I never felt that someone had better skills then me when fps drop from 35 to 2 during dogfights - etc. However after spending 15 minutes getting to the battlefield only to be shot down immediately because of bad fps/lag/server instability got to be too much to handle.

Spitfire5
02-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Darkfall.. by far.

Lerxst
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Anyone play MUDs back in the day? Yeah, that was the best time I had in a PvP/PK environment.

Things like blindness, take on a new meaning when your screen just says "someone entered the room" instead of giving details. Potions boiling over when you get hit with a Fireball, armor melting when you take acid damage and then, of course, the full-loot (of whatever was left) system in place and exp penalty for death gave new meaning to frustration... but it was addictive as hell!

UO came second, but lacked some of those other details. After that was Asheron's call (Darktide server).

Bear5732
02-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Anyone play MUDs back in the day? Yeah, that was the best time I had in a PvP/PK environment.

I played a few MUDs pre-UO, even played Zork I - II - original Bards Tale on C64 etc. Good Times!

Proto
02-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Shadowbane.

Darkseid
02-27-2011, 08:21 PM
If you did not say Shadowbane, you're wrong!

Saolite
02-27-2011, 09:51 PM
...does the game have to have meaningful PvP or more of a chaotic, no-point-other-than-to-kill PvP?

Well, if it was meaningful, I'd say Age of Conan. PvP was awesome in that game, even if highly unbalanced.

no-point PvP would be...Global Agenda. Get on, faceroll some people in Mercenary a few times, get some loot, and then you've played most of the game.

brando
02-28-2011, 01:45 AM
I agree with Neocron. I really wish someone would remake it with updated graphics and do away with those shitty zone walls.

Mortal Online has some of the best concepts for combat, but the server needs some serious love before the game is really playable.

Shadowbane was the first epic siege feeling most of us have probably ever had. No other game has really done the sieges as well. Darkfall came close, but the prebuilt cities sorta ruin the city-planning fun that made Shadowbane so good. I feel like DF was a step forward in some ways, but also a few steps back in some key elements. Less cannon, moar treb.

Hopibear
02-28-2011, 02:25 AM
Shadowbane!!!!!!!!
I agree brando Shadowbane made me smile..

Gandhi
03-02-2011, 07:21 AM
What a question. World of Warcraft of course.

Marcus
03-02-2011, 08:43 AM

I remember a local BBS system around here, probably early 1980s , that was nothing but a ladder system, and you would "pvp" other players while they were offline (only one person on the phone line at once) , and their save rolls were made by the computer... was a ton of fun, and the apex of PvP for its time... :)

ffff
03-02-2011, 07:07 PM
WWIIOL; one server, largest map, no loading zones! BUT, Xsyon is a whole lot funner!! hehe : )

Meik
03-02-2011, 09:22 PM
AC
Shadowbane
Daoc before they did away with Andred server

I have never been really any good at pvp but I always love playing it and typically pick pvp only servers.

Hoffburger
03-03-2011, 05:24 PM
What is yours? What tools weapons are used? Skill v. gear?

The purist skill based MMO for pvp I have ever played is WWIIOL. A skilled player can take an inferior piece of equipmnt (tank, plane, rifle, etc...) and kill an enemy.

You would have to know you stuff, a skilled pilot could take up, say a spitfire MKI and defeat a less skilled FW190 driver.

BTW: victory comes when one side captures 95% or so of enemy towns, in which there are several 100. A single campaign takes, usually on the average, 50-60 days of 24/7 combat. All of weastern Europe at 1/2 scale, no zomes or instances.

Agreed, I destroyed people with my rifle (DHoff, if you remember my videos).

TWINDLE
03-03-2011, 08:33 PM
If mortal actually worked correctly, then it would be goldy good but.....

DramaQueen
03-04-2011, 01:02 AM
DarkFall

Phayz
03-04-2011, 02:42 AM

Things like blindness, take on a new meaning when your screen just says "someone entered the room" instead of giving details. Potions boiling over when you get hit with a Fireball, armor melting when you take acid damage and then, of course, the full-loot (of whatever was left) system in place and exp penalty for death gave new meaning to frustration... but it was addictive as hell!

UO came second, but lacked some of those other details. After that was Asheron's call (Darktide server).

^ most fun ever

Andar
03-04-2011, 03:01 AM
Before MUDs there was Meow....and it did not originally mean "Moral Equivalent Of War" as far as I know.

http://wikibin.org/articles/meow-wars.html

My sympathies were with Grillo the Clown there although at the time I found Grillo annoying.

[Without rules, could it have been considered a proper sandbox? Ask a cat? Sorry, I couldn't resist.]

Umberto
03-04-2011, 06:07 PM
Darkfall.