PDA

View Full Version : Stats on our gear

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Is this something that just hasn't been implemented yet?

We need a way to know if what we are buying/selling is even worth anything, it will be hard to set prices on stuff if we can't see the value in it.

BigCountry
02-25-2011, 08:00 AM
I would like this answered as well.

This affects everything from a crafting perspective.

MrKrueak
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM
i'm not sure if there are stats and simply hidden but supposedly the quality of the item effects how long and how well the tool is used. I don't believe the item decay has been turned on though.

Gypsy
02-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Stats are a must, even if there is some system where they need to be "discovered." Possibly require X amount of weapon/craft skill to see detailed stats and if you dont meet those reqs you see a generic set of info. Whatever the method, stats for items need to be concrete to help setup the economy. If we are always kept guessing on the stats of items it will take much longer to set definitive values.

Also, without stats people may be able to cheat others in trades etc. Some people may like that idea, as it allows some sort of immersion, but no stats whatsoever is bad for the game's economy.

baka77
02-25-2011, 09:00 AM
There aren't stats, but their are built-in value markers. There are various quality & status notations in the tool tip for every item. A Pelican Axe that is "Superior Quality" & "New" is going to have a lot more value than a Pelican Axe that is "Poor Quality" & "Worn." We don't necessarily need stats to tell us that.

I know you guys are looking to get into the finer details & be spreadsheet warriors ala EVE (which I prefer, as well), but I just wanted to point out that there is at least something in the game to drive price points.

YamiOkami
02-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I am less and less liking stats on items... it makes things about numbers + maths. From my perspective, the more stats they added in UO the worse the game got. I think it would depend on how it was implemented... just as long as people arent going after purple weps + armour or trying to make a 100% fire resist armour with faster casting 3 rings

Furyk
02-25-2011, 09:17 AM
I am less and less liking stats on items... it makes things about numbers + maths. From my perspective, the more stats they added in UO the worse the game got. I think it would depend on how it was implemented... just as long as people arent going after purple weps + armour or trying to make a 100% fire resist armour with faster casting 3 rings

the shit you buy at the store doesnt have stats on it. spend some time testing things. too many of you people want everything handed to you.

djext2000
02-25-2011, 09:22 AM
the shit you buy at the store doesnt have stats on it. spend some time testing things. too many of you people want everything handed to you.

This.

I like the vagueness of the overall game. The lack of hard number stats makes it more interesting. Everyone wants a tutorial, a noob area, stats on everything, NPCs to guard-quest-trade-etc......this minimilist approach is rather refreshing. I like the sort of "ok...now what am I supposed to do" situations I've found myself in as I've figured out more and more. Everything will be figured out in it's own time...but by the players, and not by some artificial popup that spoon feeds the info.

sionide
02-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Even though I think visual stats are important in many other MMOs, I am not sure if they are needed here.

If hard stats are shown, items will start being a complete numbers game. We all know what this means. Pages, and pages of hard numbers and testing of numbers that look more like a fine calculation of going on a voyage to Mars rather than just playing a video game and having fun. We know this will happen, and so do the devs.

Tbh, I am on the fence with this, and don't care either way. I just hope if they do put stats in, that they aren't crazy and a lot of things are pretty much even and your choice of what to wear and use (along with situation) is the deciding factor rather than, if I use weapon A in my main hand, but use Weapon K in of off hand I will get 0.2 dps more than if I use Weapon C and Weapon Q, and 1.4 dps more than if I just use Weapon X.

I think we can all agree, this is something we don't want Xsyon to be. However, I do hope that there at least hidden stats, so the differences are not just visual.

BigCountry
02-25-2011, 09:41 AM
So a hatchet that is "New" has the same modifiers as a war axe that is "New"?

BigCountry
02-25-2011, 09:43 AM

Dude really? Sure it does. It at least has packaging and a description.

You just don't buy it, take it out of a brown bag and start using it blindly.
lol

That's a horrid comparison....

djext2000
02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Really? The last T-shirt you bought what were it's stats other than size, company making it, and washing instructions? The last set of silverware you purchased, what were the stats other than style, what sort of metal they were comprised of and company making them?

BigCountry
02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
T shirts and silverware? rofl

Try something a little more complex and more relevant....like a weapon at a gun show.....that's a better comparison.
lol

djext2000
02-25-2011, 09:48 AM
OH...you mean you just want to compare the stuff you want to compare? I thought t shirts and silverware were somewhat apt seeing as in game we are making clothes and tools. derp

STAR_GOD
02-25-2011, 09:49 AM
well the biggest difference between armor sets that has been noticed is weight which will affect ur stamina... for example bone armor is heavyer then grass... question still remains is it better ^^ maybe we should have armor and weapon stat skill the more you were it the stronger the armor hey but thats just a thought...

I wouldnt like this game to be gear based like wow is since that would make lot of people bored...

But I do agree we need something to see difference between sets or no stats at all and just have them for looks purposes but then it defeats purpose of crafting one... So eh leave it to devs to sort out

BigCountry
02-25-2011, 09:50 AM
OH...you mean you just want to compare the stuff you want to compare? I thought t shirts and silverware were somewhat apt seeing as in game we are making clothes and tools. derp

No dude we are talking about basic stats and differences between crafted weapons and armor. Horrible fail at trolling.

fflhktsn
02-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey im all for unknown stats on gear and equipment, makes the game that much more interesting. You can assume what is good and what isnt base on the buggy mouseover that tells you if it worn or pristine, and if its quality is poor or superior. That is enough. We dont need people knowingly maxing out stuff.

I know that knife i buy in RL is made from a high carbon steel, its of supoerior quality, i can see its new and pristine, i can then "play with it" if you will....yup balanced, good grip, i like it. Will i know what damage it does in literal terms untill i try it on whater i plan on stabbing? Nope. This is a wonder part of the game imo. Learning is fun.....

Gypsy
02-25-2011, 09:58 AM

Thats the dumbest comparison I've ever seen. Everything you buy has "stats" on them, from how to wash/handle to calories and composition or where it's made.

Why should everyone guess the stats on the grass armor you just crafted or the tools you just crafted if everything we create is unique and different? Stats would help the trade economy and crafters who specialize and work their asses off to have high skills. The higher their skills the higher the stats and with tangible evidence of those stats you can start building a demand for what you make. Why would I care to trade with another tribe/crafter if I have no real evidence that the weapons they make with their 75 crafting skill are better than the weapons I make with 35 skill.

The ability to identify concrete stats doesn't make the game less hardcore, that all depends on the crafting and item system.

STAR_GOD
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
That should introduce armor on craftmanship so the better the tools thebetter the armor but dont show stats just base it on quality just another thought

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Learning is fun.....

you learn to know, I want to know!

The value will be much more if you are crafting things of high value- how do we know that something that says prestine quality is the exact same stats as something else that says prestine quality.

Gypsy
02-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Hey im all for unknown stats on gear and equipment, makes the game that much more interesting. You can assume what is good and what isnt base on the buggy mouseover that tells you if it worn or pristine, and if its quality is poor or superior. That is enough. We dont need people knowingly maxing out stuff.

I know that knife i buy in RL is made from a high carbon steel, its of supoerior quality, i can see its new and pristine, i can then "play with it" if you will....yup balanced, good grip, i like it. Will i know what damage it does in literal terms untill i try it on whater i plan on stabbing? Nope. This is a wonder part of the game imo. Learning is fun.....

Who the fuck buys a knife and wonders what kind of damage it does? I suppose you can tell me how much health you have?

Why people want to compare apples to oranges is beyond me.

STAR_GOD
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Who the fuck buys a knife and wonders what kind of damage it does? I suppose you can tell me how much health you have?

well you can buy bigger blade knifes it would do more damage or hooked knifes so when u stab u pull out guts... So therefore they would do more damage! do you think axe does mroe damage then chainsaw?

YamiOkami
02-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't mind a situation where, if you have, for example, toolcrafting skill, you could inspect a tool and get a message like, "This tool is well crafted and sturdy, and will last a decent time without deteriating[sp?] too much, It is not well suited as a weapon." or "This tool is well crafted but is flimsy and will not last very long, It is more suited to be a weapon." etc.

No stats or anything, just giving a little more info to someone who has the skills, which could add a bit more depth to crafting and trading. Possibly giving info on what it was made out of, how much longer[ballpark] it will last, maybe even showing how much it has been used?

Not something urgently needed, just something that, for me, would be a nice little addition at some point :)

Gypsy
02-25-2011, 10:15 AM
well you can buy bigger blade knifes it would do more damage or hooked knifes so when u stab u pull out guts... So therefore they would do more damage! do you think axe does mroe damage then chainsaw?

It's not about the knife or the axe, but who's holding the weapon. If you were holding a knife, I'd be more concerned that you would hurt yourself than someone else.

fflhktsn
02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

what the hell does that have anything to do with my post?

djext2000
02-25-2011, 10:28 AM
That's what I think the key is. The emphasis isn't the stats on the crafted item being used, but the stats on the person using the crafted item.

Gypsy
02-25-2011, 10:33 AM
what the hell does that have anything to do with my post?

"Will i know what damage it does in literal terms untill i try it on whater i plan on stabbing?"

Bear5732
02-25-2011, 01:21 PM
This is a suggestion I gave to a different thread about descriptions.

"I would be all for descriptions, if they made them table-top RPG style with observations based on skill set/attributes. For example a fishing rod found by someone with no fishing skills would read:

This item appears to be a wooden rod of some sort, most likely a tool<toolcrafting>, it is made of an unknown wood <logging> and has some string and a hook attached to it. Based on your observations of the item (Intelligence), it would appear the item is a tool used for fishing.

And of course if you had a high fishing skill it would simply read:

This is your standard oak fishing rod, good for catching trout and smaller fish (fishing), etc. etc.

This I think would be very helpful, without actually giving away much more then most people could surmise with just common sense."