PDA

View Full Version : Trade! Trade? Is trading a viable idea for Xsyon?

Larsa
02-25-2011, 04:43 PM
My apologies for bringing up a thread that has little to do with PvP, ganking and griefing. :cool:

I just spent a bit of time reading the various tribe forums and what I saw was that quite a number of tribes mentioned trading as one of their goals in the game come release.

I cannot really see a necessity for trading in the game as it is now, with the exception of solo players and very small tribes trading amongst each other. My impression is that every tribe, and certainly every tribe with more than 10 members is completely self-sufficient in the current game. There are no regional resources and everything of value is found in a junk pile anyway.

So, what are the items people are thinking they could trade?

Redemp
02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Junk piles actually offer the least valuable items .... resources are supposed to be tribal territory exclusive. Once the base resources have been mostly eatten .. trade will be huge.

Malivius
02-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Nods...I think I'm going to throw something together for the suggestion forums...one of the things I think is always missing from sandboxes is regional resources. Just establishing a few items that are only available in certain areas opens up many possibilities.

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Nods...I think I'm going to throw something together for the suggestion forums...one of the things I think is always missing from sandboxes is regional resources. Just establishing a few items that are only available in certain areas opens up many possibilities.

there's already some regional and local resources, you just need to do more exploring. I had the good forutune to be able to do this during beta when I didn't have to worry about to many people lurking around each corner.

mindtrigger
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Not only should there be trade, but there should be the ability for players to put up shops and sell to anyone. I don't know how many of you had the pleasure of playing SWG back in the day, but the MAIN thing that brought the whole community together was trade and player owned stores.

I was a Master Ranger in that game, but I also had a secondary toon that was exclusively a crafter and trader. I spent as much time running my shop as I did in combat. Not only that, but some of the best relationships I made on my server were with other crafters and my customers that I traded with on a regular basis.

I could go into a lot more detail here, but for now I will just say that to not have these in the game eventually will severely undercut the goals of having a thriving player driven economy, as well as a strong in-game sense of community.

Larsa
02-25-2011, 05:07 PM
there's already some regional and local resources, you just need to do more exploring. I had the good forutune to be able to do this during beta when I didn't have to worry about to many people lurking around each corner.Gna, you guys and your beta secrets... Honestly, bad behaviour.

Care to tell us something more? What resources are local or regional? You don't need to give us the coordinates, thus you can guards your secrets, but at least tell us which resources can only be found in certain locations. And please don't mention basalt, chalk and the like.

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Gna, you guys and your beta secrets... Honestly, bad behaviour.

Care to tell us something more? What resources are local or regional? You don't need to give us the coordinates, thus you can guards your secrets, but at least tell us which resources can only be found in certain locations. And please don't mention basalt, chalk and the like.

tar

tilla
02-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Delicious delicious tar, I put that shit on everything. Later resources will be much, much more diversified, when the people no longer have the garbage heaps to depend on and start to relearn crafts like mining and processing plants and animals into fabric and all that fun stuff.

I want a bunny-skin hat.

Larsa
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
tar

Thanks, Keith. That's all? Haven't really noticed any demand for tar in the game. I tried to make a living selling chalk at one point but it was an utter failure because nobody wanted that stuff.

Chavoda
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks, Keith. That's all? Haven't really noticed any demand for tar in the game. I tried to make a living selling chalk at one point but it was an utter failure because nobody wanted that stuff.

Its beta, people don't want much at all at the moment. I do not expect much trade going on in the first weeks. neighbors are good for it but nobody will really travel a lot yet.
however later in the game loads more resources will come in and then trade must be done or else you simply cant use/make some stuff.
I'm going try to count all resources that will likely be in the game (incl parts like Coyote eye..head,..feet) and post it in a bit..its a bit of work :P

So far I have counted 359 base resources , I left out any non clear named out but if I count those as well the number would be much higher.
All new animals (release date) are not counted as those ain't in the list yes ( only a few - a jay, tanager,chickadee,mule those i did count.) also only counted one fish. there are several in the list but not named. fish will according to the list also have parts. I guess it comes whit cooking, saw a few fish recipe's

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM

I never said that's all, and just because they haven't put in what it's going to be used for doesn't mean you shouldn't be stocking up on it right now.

ifireallymust
02-25-2011, 06:21 PM
If it weren't for the cheesy rerolls I could easily trade baskets to toolmakers and other crafters who might have something I need within an hour of getting in game. Because bigger issues must be fixed first, I'll wait for better trading opportunities. I'm sure they'll exist sooner rather than later.

PeonSanders911
02-25-2011, 07:46 PM
The only way trade will work, is if there is a "safe town" were you cant be killed....
Otherwise, it wont work, due to fears of being Pk'd and looted.

fflhktsn
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
The only way trade will work, is if there is a "safe town" were you cant be killed....

the tribes who wish to trade are going to have to be reputiable...and i have faith that even the most carebear of tribes will be able to defend against someone wishing to trade gank them in their own home.

bottom line, the tribes that offer trade in he safest enviroment, with the highest of reputation as good, are going to be the ones who get trade business...its a sandbox motive for being reputable.

ifireallymust
02-25-2011, 09:20 PM
the tribes who wish to trade are going to have to be reputiable...and i have faith that even the most carebear of tribes will be able to defend against someone wishing to trade gank them in their own home.

bottom line, the tribes that offer trade in he safest enviroment, with the highest of reputation as good, are going to be the ones who get trade business...its a sandbox motive for being reputable.

Good points. I know I'll be keeping a list of safe areas and safe people to trade in.

jumpshot
02-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Not only should there be trade, but there should be the ability for players to put up shops and sell to anyone. I don't know how many of you had the pleasure of playing SWG back in the day, but the MAIN thing that brought the whole community together was trade and player owned stores.

I was a Master Ranger in that game, but I also had a secondary toon that was exclusively a crafter and trader. I spent as much time running my shop as I did in combat. Not only that, but some of the best relationships I made on my server were with other crafters and my customers that I traded with on a regular basis.

I could go into a lot more detail here, but for now I will just say that to not have these in the game eventually will severely undercut the goals of having a thriving player driven economy, as well as a strong in-game sense of community.

First of all, yay SWG. So sad :(

Second! We were just talking about this in vent. Totem quests! They are essentially vendors where you can set trades.

jokhul
02-26-2011, 01:38 AM
"Trade will start when the junk piles are exhausted"

Sounds reasonable, but how exactly is that going to work ? Many of the items we currently scavenge are products of a high-tech industrial society. For instance, how will we make the plastics that are required by some recipes ? Or zippers ?

Will we go from a hunter/scavenger society to 20th century industrial overnight ?

With magic being introduced in the game later, perhaps we can make plastic by using a spell ? :D

yoori
02-26-2011, 04:36 AM
First of all, yay SWG. So sad :(

Second! We were just talking about this in vent. Totem quests! They are essentially vendors where you can set trades.

Quest is one thing, but there are town markets and trade totems in the feature list for that, hopefuly we'll get them soon.

JWhin88
02-26-2011, 04:59 AM
Maybe I'm missing something? Trade? Trade what? We have a 8 man tribe, and with a little planning we all willl have different crafts. So its only a matter of time before we can make every recipe in the game. So what will there be to trade? What will tribes of that size or larger then need? I guess you can say some tribes can specialize in something ie leather armor. There also is a problem, you look at my vender how do you know if my stuff is better than what you have? People say they don't want this to be a gear driven game. But, everything will have to have some kind of stat so people can compare and shop. Once again maybe I'm missing something?

jokhul
02-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Maybe I'm missing something? Trade? Trade what? We have a 8 man tribe, and with a little planning we all willl have different crafts. So its only a matter of time before we can make every recipe in the game. So what will there be to trade? What will tribes of that size or larger then need? I guess you can say some tribes can specialize in something ie leather armor. There also is a problem, you look at my vender how do you know if my stuff is better than what you have? People say they don't want this to be a gear driven game. But, everything will have to have some kind of stat so people can compare and shop. Once again maybe I'm missing something?

Resources will most likely become scarcer after a month or 2, once all the trees are chopped down and the new ones haven't regrown yet (or the new ones are still saplings and give poor quality wood). Same goes for junk piles, we don't know how fast they "refill", in fact, we don't even know if they DO refill...

So if after a month or two, someone has access to high quality resources (by hoarding or by using the resources inside their tribe territory wisely), they might be producing "high " quality axes while everyone else in the area can only manage to make junk quality.

Would you not consider trading for that axe ?

All items have a quality/durability rating in their description. That allows you to tell the difference between a good "axe" and a "worn" axe, for instance. Exactly what "new" and "worn" actually mean in terms of DPS or duration of use is something we will have to determine through experimentation.

Recipe ingredients are basically fixed, so the final quality/durability of the produced item is determined by a combination of ingredient quality, crafter skill and possibly tool quality. Fair to assume that all "worn" axes will behave the same way, always.

Yokilla
02-26-2011, 12:04 PM
It is my understanding there is some diversity to the resources. Sand seems to spawn only near the lake. Chalk seems to spawn only in mountainous dry limstone deposits. I have a tool reciepe for a bevel that uses obsidian. I haven't found nor heard of that resource in game. These may not be huge differences but they do represent a small amount of diversity from the start.

Haunt
02-26-2011, 01:31 PM

How can you make that statement and have that sig at the same time?

bruisie159
02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
there are a few loacal (ISH) resources at the moment, like types of fish. But, i would definately say there could be more done to improve this area to promote trade.

Certain trees that provide harder or more flexible wood for example could be localised. Berries/foraged stuff for cooking could be localised. When mining comes in i hope the devs ensure metal types can be localised in some way.

I know ive said this before but an SWG system of dynamic spawns that can be depleted and the after a period of time may respawn somewhere else (especiallyu for higher quality resoucres) will ensure that no one tribe can forever claim a spot as it speads around a bit but will encourage trading of mats.