PDA

View Full Version : Just a few things to ponder...

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
First, I am very intrigued by this game... i only started playing beta a few weeks ago and so far I find the game to be what i have been looking for. At least in so much as what has been promised to come down the road. I havent been this interested in a sandbox since i played SWG way back in the day.

Few things that i have to say ruin my immersion a bit. The "lore" states that the world ends Jan 1 2012... but based on what i see in game in an area that is supposed to represent Lake Tahoe...

> where are the houses
> Where are the towns
> where are the ski lodges
> where are the ski lifts
> where is the destruction
> why is lake tahoe all of a sudden a big scrap pile
> when did tahoe become said scrap pile... and who bulldozed all the junk into nice heaps and piles

As of right now, i am not really sure i care, because when i log in i forget that this is supposed to be tahoe, because it isn't. I mean, seriously.. this is not Tahoe. Its a lake... could be any lake, in the middle of nowhere, because no one ever lived here before the apocalypse came.... its not even a ghost town, because you would need an empty town for that... its just.. empty...

now if it was a few million years into the future, i could probably understand, as there is plenty of time in between now and then for all the buildings to have been swept into neat junk piles... but its less than a year away from the current date.

now,, please do not tell me.. the game just started BS... cuz you can't add this type of stuff after the fact... it breaks immersion.... and it is after all heralded as a mmorpg.....as in role playing game...

and i am not bashing the game.. i have paid for and subbed... and will play at launch... game seems like fun... its just missing everything that makes it tahoe...a year from now.

/discuss

Malivius
02-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Much of what was around Tahoe is now (geographically correct) piles of junk/scrap. I can't speak for the exact happenings of the war/apocalypse, but I'm guessing it was bad enough that not much survived at all.

orious13
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Xsyon is an alternate reality.

KeithStone
02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
You know nothing. You’ve forgotten the past and have yet to learn the future. You are a lost soul in a strange barren world with little more than the shirt on your back. Little do you know you are destined to become a hero.

> where are the houses - scattered around the junk piles
> Where are the towns - scattered around the junk piles
> where are the ski lodges - scattered around the junk piles
> where are the ski lifts- scattered around the junk piles
> where is the destruction - scattered around the junk piles
> why is lake tahoe all of a sudden a big scrap pile - war ravaged the earth
> when did tahoe become said scrap pile... and who bulldozed all the junk into nice heaps and piles - see above quote

The map right now is 120 square miles, as the game world gets larger (eventually to 1200 square kilometers) we will see more of the dstruction and find out more about what happened.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM
there would have had to be 100 bulldozers moving all the destroyed houses / cars / poles / buildings... into nice neat piles... that is not possible in a year even if 1000 bulldozers were working at it... tahoe aint huge, but it cant just vanish overnight... and if it did... all the trees, rocks, grass, etc. would also be gone, because that is the only way for all of the other items to have just vanished... everything would be gone as well... i rarely try to slap logic of real life to an mmo, but this game premise is that of a real life location, and a real possible outcome of what would happen post apocolypse.

So i am just curious... its like asking who built the pyramids... it just doesnt make sense that a year from now every man made object, and only those objects, completely vanished... gotta be a better hypothesis than "bad enough that not much survived at all"

i am hoping that all of these buildings / cars, etc... magically appear when the server comes up march 1st.. but for the few minutes i was able to play last friday none of those items were in the game.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:05 PM
> where are the houses - scattered around the junk piles
> Where are the towns - scattered around the junk piles
> where are the ski lodges - scattered around the junk piles
> where are the ski lifts- scattered around the junk piles
> where is the destruction - scattered around the junk piles
> why is lake tahoe all of a sudden a big scrap pile - war ravaged the earth
> when did tahoe become said scrap pile... and who bulldozed all the junk into nice heaps and piles - see above quote

The map right now is 120 square miles, as the game world gets larger (eventually to 1200 square kilometers) we will see more of the dstruction and find out more about what happened.

my avatar forgotten the past.... not myself... i know tahoe well as i have snowboarded there many many many times.... like i said in above post... would take hundreds of bulldozers moving all the destruction into piles... and since there is a green killing mist surrounded the area.. the bulldozers couldnt have gotten far... so where are they.. .and yes, i explored every section of the game.. took forever but i did... and not one of the hundreds of missing bulldozers did i find :P

Yuyito
02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
To all you pondering such deep issues, let me quote you part of the theme song to MST3k:

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

^_^

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Xsyon is an alternate reality.

ok... but where did the devs mension this.. do you have anything to backup this statement? if that is true that is fine... wierd, but fine.... as long as it is part of the lore... but i dont see that it is.

dxwarlock
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
>
The map right now is 120 square miles

actually if you do the math, with the reduced scale..each zone is 1024m2, or .404 sq miles per zone..so even if you count the partial zones, the total land mass is around 34sq miles.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
To all you pondering such deep issues, let me quote you part of the theme song to MST3k:

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

^_^

i never relax... i am always serious about everything.

Cyrianna
02-25-2011, 10:11 PM
With the disruption of the planet, ancient gods awake to once again exert their powers over the earth. The lords of nature have revived the wastelands, eradicating and subverting the remnants of modern technology.

Gods took it all, nough said

dxwarlock
02-25-2011, 10:12 PM
ok... but where did the devs mension this.. do you have anything to backup this statement? if that is true that is fine... wierd, but fine.... as long as it is part of the lore... but i dont see that it is.

the fact that its not going to happen isnt an indicator of this?
and lets go with the assumption it is going to happen, and that this isnt an alternater reality future..why are you playing a game? you should be stocking up on survival gear, tools, and guns! you got less than a year before it all doesnt matter anyway..

so either its an alternate future, or we are all wasting out time playing games when an impending doom is coming :) take your pick.

Tehralph
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
actually if you do the math, with the reduced scale..each zone is 1024m2, or .404 sq miles per zone..so even if you count the partial zones, the total land mass is around 34sq miles.

Assuming every inch is flat, and its definitely not.

Mako_Jak
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
there's a rift, there's talk of devils and gods, angels an mythology. we have no idea what happened, everything vanished... we simply don't know.
This isn't the lake tahoe that you know from this reality. Think more along the lines of LOST or something... we're here, but we have no idea what happened to everything.

The survivors of the grisly destruction rise from the ashes of ruin to encounter a world that has changed. A world that once existed only in the realm of mythology, legend and imagination has become concrete and very real. You have forgotten the past and are welcomed by a new primitive future.

The new world hangs in a moment of uncertainty. Though the rift in reality has called forth many benevolent gods and creatures, this truly is the time of the Apocalypse. The seven seals are about to be broken. The Four Horsemen loom over the land awaiting their chance to spread destruction and chaos. Devils and angels vie for control of their earthly battlefield.

dxwarlock
02-25-2011, 10:15 PM

square mileage of an area is not done on a topographical overlay..its done on a flat plane, with the area as a whole.
say you own "3 acres of land" you can build a HUGE mound of dirt on it, its still 3 acres, you could not sell it as 4 acres because of the extra Z height you added.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:15 PM
gods? surely we don't believe in such mumbo jumbo... or am i a god controlling my avatar... is this like the mmo version of the 13th floor? (great movie btw)

i am athiest... so if gods dont exist... then a person or persons must have done this.... again... 2012... gods dont exist.. and "god" has never shown himself.

again... i am always serious. about everything.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:16 PM

umm... this seems like a topic of another thread... hijackers go thataway ->

o/

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:19 PM
there's a rift, there's talk of devils and gods, angels an mythology. we have no idea what happened, everything vanished... we simply don't know.
This isn't the lake tahoe that you know from this reality. Think more along the lines of LOST or something... we're here, but we have no idea what happened to everything.

different game.. i think it releases next week also... i am thinking perhaps you alt tabbed to the wrong forums?

just sayin :p

i am always very serious about these things... always.

orious13
http://www.xsyon.com/about
What is Xsyon?

Xsyon is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), an online community, a virtual world and an adventure.

Set in the near future, Xsyon is an apocalyptic fable. The world draws its inspiration from history, mythology, and prophecies of the Apocalypse. Most aspects of modern life are now gone. The leaders of the new world, under the guidance of the reinvigorated once forgotten gods, have hidden traces of the scientific progress that led to the devastation of the earth. Modern vehicles, weapons, appliances, computer and even the books that describe these things are practically nowhere to be found.

It's an untruth, but moreso it's a game :).

dxwarlock
again... i am always serious. about everything.

so why not make a post about how its impossible to go into ghost form, with all your gear, and suddenly reappear full healed 30 seconds later in a different location with gear intact?.
or how a man can chop down a mighty tree with a handaxe in 15 seconds.

you claim to take all the game in seriousness, but only apply "logic" to the parts you pick and choose to debate, ignoring all others that would fall under your same strict seriousness

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:20 PM
so why not make a post about how its impossible to go into ghost form, with all your gear, and suddenly reappear full healed 30 seconds later in a different location with gear intact?.
or how a man can chop down a mighty tree with a handaxe in 15 seconds.

you claim to take all the game in seriousness, but only apply "logic" to the parts you pick and choose to debate, ignoring all others that would fall under your same strict seriousness

why are you so serious? It is just a game dude.. relax

Tehralph
02-25-2011, 10:21 PM
square mileage of an area is not done on a topographical overlay..its done on a flat plane, with the area as a whole.
say you own "3 acres of land" you can build a HUGE mound of dirt on it, its still 3 acres, you could not sell it as 4 acres because of the extra Z height you added.

And thats where the word ASSUME comes back into play. I dont need a fucking lesson on area. I know.

The devs could have very well calculated the amount of traversable surface, instead of just the square grid, when getting the numbers to describe the game land.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
And thats where the word ASSUME comes back into play. I dont need a fucking lesson on area. I know.

The devs could have very well calculated the amount of traversable surface, instead of just the square grid, when getting the numbers to describe the game land.

how the heck did this conversation end up in my thread.... :confused:

http://www.geeksquad.com/

Mako_Jak
02-25-2011, 10:24 PM
different game.. i think it releases next week also... i am thinking perhaps you alt tabbed to the wrong forums?

just sayin :p

i am always very serious about these things... always.

Well maybe the two games are connected... via... a rift
/cue twilight zone music

dxwarlock
02-25-2011, 10:25 PM

even taking into account the elevation, you would need a vertical change of 12x the travel able distance to equate to 4x the square footage of the same area.
to do so and turn 34sq miles into 120 would mean most the landmass would be a series of sheer 60+ degree cliffs 3-4 times higher than long evenly distributed over the entire surface.
as the lake is 1/4 of the map, and considered flat travel-able area.. the landmass would have to make up for that lack of extra distance more so.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Well maybe the two games are connected... via... a rift
/cue twilight zone music

ooooh... ok now we're talking...

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:28 PM
even taking into account the elevation, you would need a vertical change of 12x the travel able distance to equate to 4x the square footage of the same area.
to do so and turn 34sq miles into 120 would mean most the landmass would be a series of sheer 60+ degree cliffs 3-4 times higher than long evenly distributed over the entire surface.
as the lake is 1/4 of the map, and considered flat travel-able area.. the landmass would have to make up for that lack of extra distance more so.

dude... seriously..... wtf u killed it

dxwarlock
it was dying, I just put it out of its misery

Mako_Jak
If I ever see an naked elf in the lake, I'll bring on the real apocalypse.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:33 PM
it was dying, I just put it out of its misery

it cant die until at least the 4th page.... only then can the seriousness be taken seriously.

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:35 PM

wait... we have naked elves? in the lake? like a siren?

bankerandrew
02-25-2011, 10:35 PM

wait... we have naked elves? in the lake? like a siren?

doh... how did that happen... ok time for sleep.. i'll let the rest of the night crew clean up after this thread...

Derek
02-26-2011, 07:12 AM
Pretty sure this would make scrap piles lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdy1Yp1h5A&feature=player_detailpage#t=82s

Derek
02-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Edit: Double Post, Mods please delete

mgilbrtsn
02-26-2011, 07:26 AM
I would like to see some ruins myself. I'm hoping when they add more landmass, that they will add some. When I picture the scenario (apolcalypse, magic, rediscovering technology), I think of Thundar the Barbarian. I think some of that atmosphere would be great in this game.