PDA

View Full Version : Official Update on Servers Thread

GuideRaguel
03-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Hello Everyone, this is the official Thread to post you're comments on the new update by Xsyon, in regards to the Server update.

All other posts related to this topic that do not get posted here, will be moderated.

Thank you.

Kroom
03-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Not much to say but thank you!

baka77
03-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Well, I'm glad Jooky decided to think outside the box to fix the animal/homestead issue & keep us all together.

I just wish he had chosen to keep the rule set for WAR rather than PEACE. As it stands, the concept of WAR is gone & we're all left playing on a huge PEACE server.

I'm fine with this under one condition. There need to be some major benefits to declaring as a warring tribe. It should not just be for shits & giggles. There should be some big juicy carrot to tempt the crafter tribes to declare for war. I'm thinking rare resources only available to tribes that declare for war, or something along those lines. No tribe should be able to have full access to everything without some element of risk involved.

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I think over all he has pleased everyone.. I will have to wait and see how or if my homestead being surrounded will effect me.

Armand
03-05-2011, 07:56 AM
It's starting to become hard to follow...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.com/media/2008/06/simpsons_homer_duff_blue_flip_flops.jpg

Rique
03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Not much to say but thank you!

^This!

baka77
03-05-2011, 07:59 AM
- Homesteads will not be able to be placed within a tribe’s maximum radius.
- Tribes will check placement using a middle radius distance from homesteads. This will allow tribes to expand, potentially enclosing homesteads in the way. Homesteads will have priority over their zones. Tribes will have to negotiate with the homestead if they want it removed.

Negotiate lol... So lemme get this right. I put up a homestead and build on it for a month. A tribe decides they like the area I am in and places their totem down, they expand and I am completely surrounded by a potential PVP tribe and they are supposed to negotiate with me until I leave? And I pretty much have to because I have no way to leave my land and defend myself because I'm on thiers? AND I get less land.. Awesome.

I'll be honest at this point I just want to play the game for keeps already.. but this is so disappointing.

I know, it's so unrealistic that larger entities expand & engulf smaller entities!!! It's not like big companies buy out smaller competitors. It's not like countries have ever tried to expand their borders & taken control of smaller countries in their expansion path. This is lame because there is absolutely no basis for it in the whole of human history.

Sultan
03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
well done and thank you

Chevron
03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
An outstanding decision by jooky. I don't belive there is anything left to complain about as it is not going to be a peace or war server but somthing in the middle.

Remember that tribes traveling out of their area are still fair game which still fits perfectly.

As for after prelude i can happily wait and see before making any more suggestions or complaints.

Jagsman32
03-05-2011, 08:05 AM
baka, why can't you just let solo players and those who don't want to be involved in Tribal warfare enjoy the game? There is no basis in human history because this is a game. I think the whiners forget this. Yes it is supposed to simulate the Apocalypse, but its still just a game. Jooky is trying to make the game fun for both non-PvP and PvP alike, and all you whiners do is shit on him. It is disgusting.

Defu
03-05-2011, 08:07 AM
So will 'clans' turn into tribes if they recieve 10 members?

baka77
03-05-2011, 08:12 AM
baka, why can't you just let solo players and those who don't want to be involved in Tribal warfare enjoy the game? There is no basis in human history because this is a game. I think the whiners forget this. Yes it is supposed to simulate the Apocalypse, but its still just a game. Jooky is trying to make the game fun for both non-PvP and PvP alike, and all you whiners do is shit on him. It is disgusting.

I'm not shitting on him. I support this move. I'm just saying there need to be real benefits for declaring as war.

As for the tribes engulfing homesteads, you'll still have your homestead land entitlement. No tribe can take that away from you. Is it really THAT much different than if your homestead bordered on a tribe's land? Not really. Also, in a month or two they're expanding the game world. Do you really think with all that new land & all those new junk piles beyond the mist that everyone is always gonna stay forever in the same spot around the lake?

I'm sorry, but I think in the grand scheme your fears are much ado about nothing.

KeithStone
03-05-2011, 08:14 AM
I know, it's so unrealistic that larger entities expand & engulf smaller entities!!! It's not like big companies buy out smaller competitors. It's not like countries have ever tried to expand their borders & taken control of smaller countries in their expansion path. This is lame because there is absolutely no basis for it in the whole of human history.

Settlements were an after thought and not part of the original design, I think that Jooky is doing a great job at accomodating people who want the settlement.

Basically, homesteaders can have a homestead at your own risk.

As tribes grow settlements will get pushed further out into the world which is how it should be imo. (I know I will probably get trolled for that statement lol)

galagah
03-05-2011, 08:15 AM
So ... Solo players get walked all over because of their playstyle ..........

We get even less area now , and tribes can now surround our " smaller " area , thereby making it so we can NOT leave the area without stepping into another tribes , just because they decided " oh , i like where he / she has set up " .

Hypothetical situation:- , A Homesteader sets up in an out of the way area whree there is a small junk pile , is there for a few months, not burnign through the junk as the soloer doesn't need to, then some " tribe " decides they now want that area , set up next door and bascially have their land surround the homesteader forcing either the homesteader to move , or face having to step straight into what would become and enemy tribes area , just to leave his her own .

Nice one , so thats 30% of the community roughly that were going solo ............. ( thats only counting the forum goers ) .

Also , you originally said your server couldn't handle all the players but now it can ..... You really expect poeple to stick around through lag / server crashes for the " first month or so " ... cause they won't , and launching like that could quite possibly kill the game .
If the next launch is as bad as the 18th Feb was , players will drop this like a hot rock .

Furyk
03-05-2011, 08:16 AM
So when will these changes be patched in so we can determine what the control radius numbers actually are?

orious13
03-05-2011, 08:20 AM
So will 'clans' turn into tribes if they recieve 10 members?

Probably need to disband and recreate totem.

Now our agenda as a community is to suggest a system that will prevent as much exploitation and give the greatest compromise.

baka77
03-05-2011, 08:23 AM
The more I think about things, the more potential I see for awesomeness.

Sun Tzu taught us that land is the only thing worth really fighting over. There weren't enough situations in the old design that created real conflicts. Now we have some real opportunities to enhance the metagaming aspects of politics & negotiation, while still having war as an option as needed.

Again, it's all going to come down to the benefits/consequences of declaring for war. If there is a strong enough impetus for all tribes to declare for war, the game has excellent potential.

Atmos
03-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Trying everything for now . - that's your forum sig. you should try it.

Bridger
03-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Also, in a month or two they're expanding the game world. Do you really think with all that new land & all those new junk piles beyond the mist that everyone is always gonna stay forever in the same spot around the lake?

Intriguing question.

If a tribe has spent all that time and effort to build a sophisticated, defensible infrastructure, will they want to abandon it all and strike off into the wilderness just to claim a finite new resource? Surely some will.

And surely, some won't. Some will chance hanging on to what they've built on the gamble that they can craft/trade/whatever so well, they can have others bring those resources to them and benefit from their established infrastructure. Maybe the developers might even grant those long-established settlements some kind of benefit for that decision over time. (Their larger, heavier forges are more efficient. Their grand temples attract more favor from the deities. Etc.)

It could be fun to watch this develop.

orious13
03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Intriguing question.

If a tribe has spent all that time and effort to build a sophisticated, defensible infrastructure, will they want to abandon it all and strike off into the wilderness just to claim a finite new resource? Surely some will.

And surely, some won't. Some will chance hanging on to what they've built on the gamble that they can craft/trade/whatever so well, they can have others bring those resources to them and benefit from their established infrastructure. Maybe the developers might even grant those long-established settlements some kind of benefit for that decision over time. (Their larger, heavier forges are more efficient. Their grand temples attract more favor from the deities. Etc.)

I could be fun to watch this develop.

I foresee possible resource treks with some 20+ people including combat characters and crafters. If the resources are really needed and they don't want to move, they'll spend a day out there gathering mats with combat protection and then make the long trek back to the lake. Or what's to prevent a tribe from having an expensive to place second never-safe-from-destruction city totem?

Vandali
03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Keeping everyone regardless of playstyle on one server should be priority and it looks like the devs agree. Each playstyle will have to concede on some issues for the bigger goal of a great sandbox game, but i think we can do it, big thumbs up for making this decision.

Shukano
03-05-2011, 08:34 AM
I think that maybe on the other hand, tribes should be able to give permission for a person to create a homestead on tribe land. Maybe make a permission window in the totem, that way the homesteader is not obligated to be part of the tribe but can purchase or trade (or offer goods) in exchange for a small chunk of land to call their own possibly under the protection of the encompassing tribe.
I don't see whey it has to be only vice versa where a tribe encompasses an already placed homestead. Let the tribe allow homesteaders on their land. Will create some great social interaction.

Sorakin
03-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Thank you. Development had their thinking caps on.

Vandali
03-05-2011, 08:36 AM
I think that maybe on the other hand, tribes should be able to give permission for a person to create a homestead on tribe land. Maybe make a permission window in the totem, that way the homesteader is not obligated to be part of the tribe but can purchase or trade (or offer goods) in exchange for a small chunk of land to call their own possibly under the protection of the encompassing tribe.
I don't see whey it has to be only vice versa where a tribe encompasses an already placed homestead. Let the tribe allow homesteaders on their land. Will create some great social interaction.

Thats a good idea.

Jadzia
03-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Very good idea imo.

orious13
03-05-2011, 08:42 AM

Third. The motion has been past.

Bridger
03-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Or what's to prevent a tribe from having an expensive to place second never-safe-from-destruction city totem?

Or forming an alliance with a small, scrappy tribe of nomadic individulaists who will go out and explore and claim resources in exchange for the old, staid, established tribe's ability to turn raw resources into finished products the mountain men need?

Wait... Haven't we seen this somewhere before? I seem to recall a history class from long ago... :D

Bridger
03-05-2011, 08:48 AM

^^^ This!! ^^^

baka77
03-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Jordi, here's how you can tell you've made the right decision.

Yesterday, most people were screaming about the problems they perceived. Today, most people are brainstorming about how to resolve the problems they perceive. It's like I tell my employees...don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.

mgilbrtsn
03-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Great solution on the Devs part. The way the wastes were made to be. Now please don't change it again ;)

orious13
03-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Jordi, here's how you can tell you've made the right decision.

Yesterday, most people were screaming about the problems they perceived. Today, most people are brainstorming about how to resolve the problems they perceive. It's like I tell my employees...don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.

It's better now than it was before the change (/jinxed).

Escargot
03-05-2011, 08:58 AM

Outstanding idea. This offers a nice solution for those who are running medium sized tribes who don't want to run the mega-sized tribe, to have the land under thier control not be as wasteful by parceling it out a bit in the area they'd never expand to be able to use. A medium sort of membership in that they're connected, but independant.

Really like this idea.

China
03-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Good job Xsyon! I'm impressed and, so far I'm impressed with the posts in this thread. The decision that Jooky and the programers made, along with the solutions they have come up with that allows all players to be on one server has stimulated discussion on how we (the players) can survive, shape and be an integral part of a developing world.

China

Morgan
03-05-2011, 09:04 AM
This is much better, there's lots of opportunity here.

Smaller Homesteads may be asked to swear fealty to the tribe that now owns the land around them.

Don't like that tribe? Go find their enemies and ask them to liberate you!

Phayz
03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
oops wrong quote

I like the idea about allowing homesteaders to perhaps gain permission to work the land of a tribe

Banok
03-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Great news. Please remember risk vs reward system. areas without safe zones need to have a massive upside. and there needs to be reasons for clans to wage war.

Suggestions anyway!

Iinstead of clans choosing whether to be war clan or not and choosing to have safe zones or not, it would be much bettter and less potentially confusing to have areas of the map where safezones are disabled but which have better valuable resources. This way the choice is where you build your village, in a dangerous or safe area? and not an artificial choice which you just click on.

with the current proposal I can see it being hard to tell what areas you can or cannot fight in. and if your having a war with a clan: it wont feel like a true warzone if there is a homesteader justing sitting by his totem within the battlefield safe as sally cinnamon and eating popcorn.

Plus even within the safe zones tribes/homesteads, there needs to eventually a way to fight for the right to that territory, by a "siege" type event. so that if a clan border extends over a homestead the clan can fight him off their territory, and if a small clan has a prime spot a larger clan can take it off them.

Hollywood
03-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Yay! Glad to see we're back to one big happy family on ONE server! Go Xsyon! I don't really care what the ruleset is at this point, just as long as there's one server.

naughty
03-05-2011, 10:26 AM
one global server = win

TheDevi
03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

This was the right move.

datagoblin
03-05-2011, 11:18 AM
When I heard it was back to one server, I was like...

http://goinglikesixty.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/anihappy-turtle.gif

Good call...Game on!

JCatano
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't like the decision but will give it a chance. Alts for claiming future land incoming.

BigCountry
03-05-2011, 11:26 AM
1 server....8 servers.....I really don't care anymore. I am numb from all this flip flopping (very unprofessional btw). I cannot trust anything anyone says anymore about this game. I was all excited about an actual challenge in this game...but now I will be forced to hold hands and play the Sims for 6 months. It could be PvE and purple unicorns next month for all we know....bah

Just make sure the game works this time around. That's all that matters next week at this point.

Dsk954
03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I agree with the guy above me. Flip-flopping is in abundance with this dev group- and that doesnt bode well for the game.

This Jordi fella keeps saying changing his mind (and F***ing announces it) just to change him mind THE NEXT DAY.

Then he has the nuts to say he didnt change it because of the scrutiny of his customers, just because he thinks it would be technologically easier (isnt that the same excuse he used for the 2 server split?!)

So. No, im not getting a refund. But NO, I will not be paying a monthly fee for this game- not until they get it into beta version (combat coding anyone?).

This game is being pushed early just because Jordi said it would be out by now, not because it deserves to be out.

Bad dev team who has a blurry vision and staggers around the programming world until they stumble upon it. boooooooooooooooooooooo

galagah
03-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Just make sure the game works this time around. That's all that matters next week at this point.

Couldn't agree more . If the decision to go with just the 1 server ends up with the same lag problems as the last attempt to launch , there had better be a 2nd server ready to come up within an hour . If you make people wait a couple of days in the same situation as last time it won't bode well at all .

I would really hate to see this game fold in a couple of months because of bad decisions now .

Charles_Prince
03-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Good decision.

Larsa
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, well, interesting development to say the least, the combat-oriented people will be happy for that one, more victims to be had. I already smell the next "do away with safe zones" thread incoming. Can't say that I like it.

It doesn't even address the core problem of space near the junkpiles: Why do so many people want to live on a junkpile? Because there are almost no things that can be crafted without junk.

Kinslayer
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Thats the best thing I couldve read Jordi, thank you.

Ive been saying from the start, totems (of any kind) should not reserve land, it should take the amount of land justified by the number of members, and thats it. To expand, the tribe should either have to negotiate or war. To save griefing, if another totem is placed within a certain distance of a totem that is already there, then that "new" tribe should automatically become a warring tribe for a month (or two).

The way it is now, a tribe totem is reserving land for 50+ members, and they may never grow any larger than 15 or 20 members.

Perhaps something to think about?

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 12:31 PM
This is much better, there's lots of opportunity here.

Smaller Homesteads may be asked to swear fealty to the tribe that now owns the land around them.

Don't like that tribe? Go find their enemies and ask them to liberate you!

Just because I don't like being screwed then told to shut up and take it.. * IF * it happens that I am surrounded by a hostile tribe or just a tribe that thinks I don't matter I will do everything in my power to make them misserable. Including being a spring board to a rival tribe and a spy for them.. supplying the enemy with information along with fresh armor and weapons durring an invasion. :)

When I first read the changes I was a little ticked.. I guess I still am ticked but only time will tell if this is going to be an issue. I'm certain if this were to be exploited Jordi would change it. I feel he is just trying to make the puzzle pieces work with the least problems.

I don't see a launch date of the 8th for pre orders or a official launch on the 15th for everyone else. I would really like the truth on a realistic date to set everything in place for launch.

Fiasco
03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Well thought out solution...thanks.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm nervous because we're going to start with such a scarcity of resources. It will let me solo, however.

On the other hand, now solo players will have no choice but to settle directly on top of scrap heaps, or else risk losing access as tribes expand and not even be able to defend ourselves at the nearby heaps, since they'll now be on tribal land.

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edited to add: Jesus, what if a tribe fences us in?

baka77
03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm nervous because we're going to start with such a scarcity of resources. It will let me solo, however.

On the other hand, now solo players will have no choice but to settle directly on top of scrap heaps, or else risk losing access as tribes expand and not even be able to defend ourselves at the nearby heaps, since they'll now be on tribal land.

So I guess we'll see how it goes.

Edited to add: Jesus, what if a tribe fences us in?

Just a thought...have you explored the entire land mass? Are you so certain that the only junk piles are the ones right by the starting towns? I have spent the past couple weeks running all over the damn place. I found tons of junk piles in the most unlikely locations like on the top of mountains, etc.

Is finding these secluded junk piles easy? Not as easy as plopping down right where you first spawn in game, but not really that hard either. For the solo'er who doesn't want to deal with the crowds, a little exploration will probably go an awful long way.

Remember, a large tribe isn't going to bother with a small junk pile that is not near a large flat area. Not many people want to terraform an entire freaking mountain.

Persha
03-05-2011, 01:45 PM
I honestly have to say I am very displeased by the whole thing.. 1st they say there will be two servers good and evil.. then change their minds over night?
This shows me that there is no real direction and if someone is quick to sway their thoughts and actions to please the masses then how stable are they to be leaders?

The people who had a problem with having to go over to a PVP server was the same jerks that prey on the crafters and weavers and the peaceful people for an easy kill.. they are the same people who are scared to be on a leveled playing ground with people that would give them a fair fight.

This game is interesting to me.. I love it on many levels.. but, this whole thing about saying one thing then doing another will make it so I will want no part in this..

I would love to help, be a part of a new thing etc..

But, let's be clear.. Limited options, unfair advantages, a non leveled playing field.. swaying thought, views and or emotions etc is not sometrhing I can have faith in paying for.

Got it together and give us "carebears" something to be safe in and enjoy the world WE HELP PAY FOR.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Just a thought...have you explored the entire land mass? Are you so certain that the only junk piles are the ones right by the starting towns? I have spent the past couple weeks running all over the damn place. I found tons of junk piles in the most unlikely locations like on the top of mountains, etc.

Is finding these secluded junk piles easy? Not as easy as plopping down right where you first spawn in game, but not really that hard either. For the solo'er who doesn't want to deal with the crowds, a little exploration will probably go an awful long way.

Remember, a large tribe isn't going to bother with a small junk pile that is not near a large flat area. Not many people want to terraform an entire freaking mountain.

I have spent way more hours than I'm going to admit to doing exactly what you suggest. I was shocked and dismayed the other day when I went back around to the coords I had written down and marked as unlikely anyone would want or even find. Even one spot so deep in green mist you could barely see your feet was taken.

My worry is that this place will be so crowded that nowhere with water and a junk pile in radius of each other, anywhere, even on hard to terraform, small spots, will go unclaimed and unwanted.

Perhaps my worries will prove unfounded. But the ability of a tribe to potentially fence in a homesteader, imprisoning them in an area where they can't defend themselves once they step off their homestead, or to shut them out of their own area (what if they log out or go exploring for so long that they come back and find their homestead surrounded by fence?) should not exist in this game.

That's all I'm arguing. The crowding, the shrunken homestead space, that bothers me, but my real worry is getting shut in or shut out. Which will make my play style completely unviable.

mrwooj
03-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I hate this new move. Way to go - take a dump on the homestead owner once again. As it is now my tiny little patch of homestead land is small, insignificant and no bother to anyone. So now you decide to reduce the size. Gee i am soooooooooo happy at this decision.

Oh, hold on, thats not all........... i can now have my homestead fully encompassed inside a tribal area. Wow, that is awesome. It will be awesome to claim some land and enjoy playing my way until one day i wake up, log into the game and find that the spot i chose on day one which has a nice view and access to nice areas all around me has been totally blocked off by a 6ft steel fence all the way around. I am unable to enter or leave my land.

I have no land rights. This mechanic has just destroyed life for all the players who intend to play as a homestead. Even though i lay a totem on day one (oh, hold on, day two) i can have it all taken away or encrouched upon by some ten year old kid who decides to play the game in a year's time.

I am so happy that my playstyle means nothing. It makes me feel like the Devs dont want there to be any homesteads or solo players. I feel fully crapped on and i am not sure that i will be playing the game anymore. Unless this changes before day one i will be asking for my money back due to this being a completely different game to the one i signed up for. Right now i have no desire to get ingame.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 02:25 PM
In real life, there are zoning laws regarding road access that could be applied to at least give us a safe way in and out of a tribal area surrounding us.

However:

1. This isn't real life

2. I haven't the foggiest idea how hard it would be to code it.

baka77
03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
The "fenced in" problem is a very real (albeit IMO hilarious) issue. I just hope homesteaders play smart rather than try to set up shop in prime real estate that is almost certain to be gobbled up by a mega-tribe. Knowing the limitations of the system ahead of time should give you all the tools you need to deal with the problems at hand. Those who are too foolish not think ahead will learn the hard way, I guess.

Anyone else envisioning the beginning of the movie "UP" where the little old man's home is completely surrounded by massive skyscrapers? LOL

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 03:01 PM
The "fenced in" problem is a very real (albeit IMO hilarious) issue. I just hope homesteaders play smart rather than try to set up shop in prime real estate that is almost certain to be gobbled up by a mega-tribe. Knowing the limitations of the system ahead of time should give you all the tools you need to deal with the problems at hand. Those who are too foolish not think ahead will learn the hard way, I guess.

Anyone else envisioning the beginning of the movie "UP" where the little old man's home is completely surrounded by massive skyscrapers? LOL

Every post you make just gets more and more insulting.. I already saw your hamster wheel turning when you were talking about politics and the like. Because it is very clear you hope to play cat and mouse with homesteads you come across.

The more I think about things, the more potential I see for awesomeness.

Sun Tzu taught us that land is the only thing worth really fighting over. There weren't enough situations in the old design that created real conflicts. Now we have some real opportunities to enhance the metagaming aspects of politics & negotiation, while still having war as an option as needed.

IDK why you keep posting.. lemme save you the afternoon. WE GET IT.. you think it's hillarious that we can be totally fenced in like sheep and have no other option other than to reroll.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Every post you make just gets more and more insulting.. I already saw your hamster wheel turning when you were talking about politics and the like. Because it is very clear you hope to play cat and mouse with homesteads you come across.

IDK why you keep posting.. lemme save you the afternoon. WE GET IT.. you think it's hillarious that we can be totally fenced in like sheep and have no other option other than to reroll.

Well, we can always play politics back, I suppose. Go ahead, fence me in. I'll make sure whatever junk I'm sitting on can't be used by you, ever.

Edit: Just in case it's not obvious, I'm not directing this at the person I quoted, but at tribes with people in it like baka.

Edit again: Did you know baka means stupid in Japanese?

Jadzia
03-05-2011, 03:06 PM
The current setup with tribes-homesteads isn't a good one, I do hope they will find something better in the near future. Until then if a solo player finds him/herself fenced in or out of his area that can be reported as griefing and I'm sure it won't be allowed.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:08 PM
The current setup with tribes-homesteads isn't a good one, I do hope they will find something better in the near future. Until then if a solo player finds him/herself fenced in or out of his area that can be reported as griefing and I'm sure it won't be allowed.

Oh won't it? Then why put the mechanic in place that makes it possible?

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Here's an idea. Take my dependence off the junk pile completely. If I get my scavenging skill high enough, let me be able to find anything, anywhere, in the same abundance as on a JP. But only until the mists open up. I'll gladly grind up scavenging in that case, and settle in a pretty, distant spot, maybe with a grassy field and a waterfall, far from any of the precious tribes and their fences.

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Well, we can always play politics back, I suppose. Go ahead, fence me in. I'll make sure whatever junk I'm sitting on can't be used by you, ever.

Edit: Just in case it's not obvious, I'm not directing this at the person I quoted, but at tribes with people in it like baka.

Edit again: Did you know baka means stupid in Japanese?

Just make sure the junk heap you sit on has a water entrance and exit :)

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Just make sure the junk heap you sit on has a water entrance and exit :)

It will, and if they fence me, I'll stay put and make their lives as miserable as possible. If they can grief me by trapping me in their tribe land, no one can ban me for griefing back, right? Ha! Like I expect fairness now, after this. Right.

I'm actually scurrying yet again all over the damn map trying to find a place with water and a tiny JP so far out in the boonies that a greedy pig of a tribe won't want it. But of course, my efforts are being impeded by invisible barriers again. I don't know why this started happening, but I can't cross zone boundaries now. A guide was really nice and helped me get out of it the first time, but I bloody can't pester a guide every five minutes, now can I? I have no idea why this is happening, either. My drivers are up to date, I haven't changed anything, and FRAPS (something I was using when this issue first arose) is now not running or even open.

I am having one helluva bad day. :(

baka77
03-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Man, so much angst towards me. I'm just trying to point out that the sky is not falling, & there are ways to sort of deal with the fence problem if Jordi doesn't change it (which he probably will). You people are mean!!! :D

Edit: No, I totally didn't know Baka means stupid. I didn't know it when I chose the nickname & nobody has ever bothered to point it out to me in the years I have been using this handle. Thank you so much for setting me straight!!! :rolleyes:

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Man, so much angst towards me. I'm just trying to point out that the sky is not falling, & there are ways to sort of deal with the fence problem if Jordi doesn't change it (which he probably will). You people are mean!!! :D

Edit: No, I totally didn't know Baka means stupid. I didn't know it when I chose the nickname & nobody has ever bothered to point it out to me in the years I have been using this handle. Thank you so much for setting me straight!!! :rolleyes:

Trust me, dear, this isn't directed at you or any one person. I simply believe you haven't put yourself in a solo player's shoes and thought any of it through. It's easy NOT to think it through, if it doesn't affect you. But it does affect me. And I've grown to really enjoy this game. I have to say, I'd be less sleep deprived if I quit. I like it that much. So much fun, so much to do, nothing comes close to it.

But I can't join a tribe. Not at first, maybe not ever. I'm not wired that way. And I'm really upset that I might not have a viable solo playstyle now. I don't ask for much, either. Am I fussing about reduced land size? Nah, I'll get by. Am I fussing about travelling a zillion miles to and from my homestead in the boonies for trade? Nah, I don't mind that at all, actually. But if there's no way I can craft or build because I can't get to the resource I need to do it, well I'm screwed, aren't I?

And like I said in the other post, now I can't even go exploring again, because I'm having some kind of glitch, and I don't understand what computer setting or whatever I can alter to fix it. And I'm not going to waste a guide's time every time I'm stuck at a boundary, because that would be every fifteen minutes or so, and they're busy enough.

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 03:24 PM
It will, and if they fence me, I'll stay put and make their lives as miserable as possible. If they can grief me by trapping me in their tribe land, no one can ban me for griefing back, right? Ha! Like I expect fairness now, after this. Right.

I'm actually scurrying yet again all over the damn map trying to find a place with water and a tiny JP so far out in the boonies that a greedy pig of a tribe won't want it. But of course, my efforts are being impeded by invisible barriers again. I don't know why this started happening, but I can't cross zone boundaries now. A guide was really nice and helped me get out of it the first time, but I bloody can't pester a guide every five minutes, now can I? I have no idea why this is happening, either. My drivers are up to date, I haven't changed anything, and FRAPS (something I was using when this issue first arose) is now not running or even open.

I am having one helluva bad day. :(

And I'm pretty sure if he just added MORE JUNK scattered around the place away from the lake everyone would be happy. I would rather live where there are plenty of trees and animals anyways. I have spent hours and hours exploring every zone there is. The world he made for us is HUGE. Just Jackson Pollock it with some junk please and I will be ever so happy to leave the VERY VERY important and much more deserving tribes alone at the lake. ( If I ever find a way to make poison and put it in the waterfalls you're all in trouble ) :)

Draakan
03-05-2011, 03:25 PM
I just wanted to add my thanks for this move. I could see the very few up sides to the server split, but there is so much more to be gained by having everyone together. This news made me smile and want to play again. Thank you! Now if I could just pan for gold in the streams....that would make my year.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:29 PM
And I'm pretty sure if he just added MORE JUNK scattered around the place away from the lake everyone would be happy. I would rather live where there are plenty of trees and animals anyways. I have spent hours and hours exploring every zone there is. The world he made for us is HUGE. Just Jackson Pollock it with some junk please and I will be ever so happy to leave the VERY VERY important and much more deserving tribes alone at the lake. ( If I ever find a way to make poison and put it in the waterfalls you're all in trouble ) :)

Remind me not to piss you off!

But there's something we're both not considering with the 'add more junk piles' or 'make it so we can find more junk away from junk' suggestions. And that's the coding. Would it overload anything? Cause other issues beyond what I can even consider? If not, yeah, please, just put more junk in. But if that would cause more problems with lag or glitches, then what can be done?

Jadzia
03-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Oh won't it? Then why put the mechanic in place that makes it possible?

Because as you said its really not thought out. For me it sounds much more like a quick fix for launch day then a permanent solution.

Udo Dirkschneider
03-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Great decision by Jooky(sp?) IMHO. I want to play with a big population, period. If that population finally reaches a critical mass sometime in the future, then open up additional servers with addditional personnel to manage them.

Larsa
03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
And I'm pretty sure if he just added MORE JUNK scattered around the place away from the lake everyone would be happy. I would rather live where there are plenty of trees and animals anyways. I have spent hours and hours exploring every zone there is. The world he made for us is HUGE. Just Jackson Pollock it with some junk please and I will be ever so happy to leave the VERY VERY important and much more deserving tribes alone at the lake. ( If I ever find a way to make poison and put it in the waterfalls you're all in trouble ) :)Same is true for me. I'm in a small tribe (clan per new definition) and we would like to settle in the mountains, away from Lake Tahoe and the other hotspots. Sadly, it's not possible.

The crafting system is such, that, for many crafts, access to items from a junkpile is necessary. You cannot do anything in leathercraft, bonecraft, toolcraft, weaponcraft and tailoring without a junkpile because almost all recipes need junk. You can do very little in architecture without a junkpile. Basketry is fine, one needs only small amounts of junk, ideal for trading these things. Masonry and Woodworking are the only crafts not depending on junk at all. But both of those produce no usable items.

I really believe the whole issue stems only from the fact that all people crowd around the junk piles because there's no other way to get crafting done.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM
To everyone bitching about "flip flopping":

Be glad that you have a dynamic developer who can listen to the community and make changes as they see fit. Most games have a board of directors in suits that look at things in terms of DOLLARS, not how much fun or interesting the game can be. Most developers are friggin' minions who end up having little or no say in the direction of the game. Most game communities can discuss changes to the game until they shrivel up and die, and those changes will never happen. Be glad this game is free to change, evolve, go forward, backward, sideways if it's the right thing to do.

You found a really stupid thing to complain about.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Notorious: Thank you very much for reviewing the situation and finding a better solution that keeps us all on the same server. Ultimately I believe this will make for a much more interesting game. THANK YOU.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Be glad that you have a dynamic developer who can listen to the community and make changes as they see fit. Most games have a board of directors in suits that look at things in terms of DOLLARS, not how much fun or interesting the game can be. Most developers are friggin' minions who end up having little or no say in the direction of the game. Most game communities can discuss changes to the game until they shrivel up and die, and those changes will never happen. Be glad this game is free to change, evolve, go forward, backward, sideways if it's the right thing to do.

Easy for you and every other tribe member who cried and whined to keep us all on a server where there aren't enough resources for all of us to play, and then cried and whined to make sure that the tribes would be the ones with access to those resources.

You make me sick. I hope I catch you out wandering alone often, so I can kill and loot you often.

Peaceful crafter be damned, if I have to join some tribe to do it.

I'll go PKer. And every other solo player and small tribe should, too. You tribes did this to us, and you deserve to pay for it. Often.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM

agreed, I may have made a joke about the flip-flopping with my tribe earlier but I am really glad we have a dev that listens to his community. Plus all the flip flopping keeps things interesting who knows what will happen tomorrow? 4 servers? 8 servers? 1/2 server? pigs will fly through the sky? (I kid on all of course).

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Easy for you and every other tribe member who cried and whined to keep us all on a server where there aren't enough resources for all of us to play, and then cried and whined to make sure that the tribes would be the ones with access to those resources.

You make me sick. I hope I catch you out wandering alone often, so I can kill and loot you often.

I'll go PKer. And every other solo player and small tribe should, too. You tribes did this to us, and you deserve to pay for it. Often.

Cool, I love it man. Its going to be interesting in a few months time with you making a name for yourself. "Is the that IF I? oh shit, that's the tribe killer. Run!" of course it could also end as "That's IF I! get him!" but hey in a dynamic world anything goes.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:07 PM

Ooooh... a real live cyber-bully... hahaha. Classic. Come get me, kid.

Guess what, all we got back was the game as it was intended before the harsh idea of splitting the community. That idea existed for less than 24 hours, and you bought into this game BEFORE that idea existed. As for people crying and whining, what is it that you think you are doing right now?

All we did was present our reasons for wanting a single server, which were every bit as valid as your reasons for wanting a split. The devs said the discussion thread was not the reason for their changed minds, so take it up with them if you can't control your nerd rage.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Well, I am so furious that you gangs of bullies got your way that I can no longer modulate my tone on this forum, so before I get banned, I'm going to step off for awhile.

Solo players reading this, check out their contempt for us. We're nothing to them, what they've done to us with their crying and whining means nothing to them.

Make them pay.

That is all.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, I am so furious that you gangs of bullies got your way that I can no longer modulate my tone on this forum, so before I get banned, I'm going to step off for awhile.

Solo players reading this, check out their contempt for us. We're nothing to them, what they've done to us with their crying and whining means nothing to them.

Make them pay.

That is all.

Why don't you tell us all why you joined this game in the first place if the single server concept was so bad for you? It has *always* been a single server design.

For what it's worth, I think solo play in this game may turn out to be one of the most interesting and difficult ways to play. Sounds like fun to me and I have planned from day one to strike out on my own on long journeys just for the danger factor. I will be playing both Tribe and Solo.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:19 PM
@mind

He feels that us big tribes are stepping all over the little guys(soloers) Especially with the new thing about encompassing homesteads in our land.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
@mind

He feels that us big tribes are stepping all over the little guys(soloers) Especially with the new thing about encompassing homesteads in our land.

Well, I guess the interesting thing about his position, is that he has chosen a style of play that goes against the very nature of survival. Also, this game is about rebuilding the human race, and he has chosen an outcast role. So is he complaining that he is being treated like an outcast even though that is the role he has chosen to play?

I think he has chosen a very interesting way to play the game, and he should expect it to be very challenging if he wants to avoid dealing with tribes. Soloers are going to have to be nomadic I believe. Strength will always be in numbers in this game, and if people go solo, they will probably need to keep moving. It would be the same in the REAL world too.

Sounds like what he wants is the easy button that makes him invulnerable to what's going on around him since he has chosen to go solo. This game is about danger, at all times. It's not A Tale In The Desert.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, I guess the interesting thing about his position, is that he has chosen a style of play that goes against the very nature of survival. Also, this game is about rebuilding the human race, and he has chosen an outcast role. So is he complaining that he is being treated like an outcast even though that is the role he has chosen to play?

I think he has chosen a very interesting way to play the game, and he should expect it to be very challenging if he wants to avoid dealing with tribes. Soloers are going to have to be nomadic I believe. Strength will always be in numbers in this game, and if they go solo, they will need to keep moving. It would be the same in the REAL world too.

Sounds like what he wants is the easy button that makes him invulnerable to what's going on around him since he has chosen to go solo.

Agreed, though if he can pull off his chosen path I think he will become a legend of sorts in game. Gotta love sandboxes....so many stories going on at once. I hope a few people keep journals.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Agreed, though if he can pull off his chosen path I think he will become a legend of sorts in game. Gotta love sandboxes....so many stories going on at once. I hope a few people keep journals.

This is exactly why many of us didn't want to split the servers into different mindsets. We will have a much more interesting game using the original vision.

In Star Wars Galaxies, people found all kinds of ways to think outside the box and do things no one ever imagined when the game was being created. Xsyon has much more room for diversity than SWG did. I can't wait to see what people come up with.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:54 PM
This is exactly why many of us didn't want to split the servers into different mindsets. We will have a much more interesting game using the original vision.
I can't wait to see what people come up with.

Indeed I look forward to playing with you in game ^^ regardless of our chosen paths.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Why don't you tell us all why you joined this game in the first place if the single server concept was so bad for you? It has *always* been a single server design.

For what it's worth, I think solo play in this game may turn out to be one of the most interesting and difficult ways to play. Sounds like fun to me and I have planned from day one to strike out on my own on long journeys just for the danger factor. I will be playing both Tribe and Solo.

As I am now calmer and less likely to feel the wrath of the ban hammer, I will explain my concern.

This game has gods, namely, the devs. If these guys say we're going to be crowded on a single server, then I believe them. We will be crowded.

The solo play style is always a challenge in any game, but seemed viable in this game, because there were going to be fewer people spread over the map. Isolation is the solo player's friend, more often than not, and this goes for small tribes, too.

Now the overcrowding causes me to worry that solo play simply will not be viable. Add this to the ability of a tribe to fence us in, and I'm certain it's doomed. There is nothing interesting about playing an unviable play style, it's simply foolish.

So I hope at least the fence issue will be dealt with, I believe firmly that I and other solo players and small groups can work around the rest.

dreampod
03-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Thank you.

In a sandbox game player interactions are content. Keeping us all in one server maximizes this games content.

tredo
03-06-2011, 02:09 AM
I am unbiased in either way, single server or split. You guys know what I plan to do in game, so this works either way for me. The only thing I am concerned with is how small will the homesteads become, and the tribes being able to encompass a homestead. This will work in a few ways. If a solo player wants to work with a tribe and is comfortable in that area, the tribe is there for a great source of protection for that solo player. On the opposite side of that coin if that solo players jumps claim on a tribal area that has already been decided that this area has been the tribes choice location from the start, the tribe could starve this solo player from resources, trading, virtually everything in the game till the solo player either quit or moved on. What was wrong with the old way of totems could not be placed any closer then maximum size of the tribal area at full size to another totem? So for example a tribal area of 250m and a homestead of 30m the totems could not be any closer then 280m. I understand that some of the tribes are worried about homesteads going in and claiming a giant field 300m across and the homestead setting down a totem in the middle taking up that field and blocking the tribe from setting there. I don't really see this happening in the game. Perhaps the new system will prove to be a solution but why reduce the size of the homestead AND allow for encompassing.... talk about sticking it to the solo homesteaders.

darg75
03-06-2011, 02:30 AM
My opinion is that the change back to one server is a great decision and any consequences, a trade off worth being made. This small community being split and having two worlds running the risk of insufficient population to be viable wasn't one worth taking.

To ifireallymust - don't be so attached to your spot. The playable land area will increase in size over time, you (and I as a fellow soloer) will be well placed to adapt to this, pick up sticks and move on into the new territory. If you really love the spot you are in and find yourself surrounded then you have a decision to make: join the surrounding tribe, stick it out, or move on (hopefully in game, rather than extending the middle finger to Xyson altogether).

Can't wait for launch. Hope it's a succesful one, but really, just hope it's here sooner rather than later.

PS to ifireallymust - if you are serious about your intent to go pk postal, that's pretty damn cool too.

PPS - I really hope you aren't taking your turn at being a squeaky wheel.

yoori
03-06-2011, 02:35 AM
I am unbiased in either way, single server or split. You guys know what I plan to do in game, so this works either way for me. The only thing I am concerned with is how small will the homesteads become, and the tribes being able to encompass a homestead. This will work in a few ways. If a solo player wants to work with a tribe and is comfortable in that area, the tribe is there for a great source of protection for that solo player. On the opposite side of that coin if that solo players jumps claim on a tribal area that has already been decided that this area has been the tribes choice location from the start, the tribe could starve this solo player from resources, trading, virtually everything in the game till the solo player either quit or moved on. What was wrong with the old way of totems could not be placed any closer then maximum size of the tribal area at full size to another totem? So for example a tribal area of 250m and a homestead of 30m the totems could not be any closer then 280m. I understand that some of the tribes are worried about homesteads going in and claiming a giant field 300m across and the homestead setting down a totem in the middle taking up that field and blocking the tribe from setting there. I don't really see this happening in the game. Perhaps the new system will prove to be a solution but why reduce the size of the homestead AND allow for encompassing.... talk about sticking it to the solo homesteaders.

There is limited number of spots suitable for big tribes. Some tribes will have to wait for land expansion already. Homesteads taking spots big enough for tribes was a serious threat.
All becouse everyone wants to have scrap pile ON their land, not close to.
If you place your homestead in a place too small for a tribe you don't have to worry that tribe will surround you. If you choose a big spot and tribe settles there you have two options. Make an agreement with them or move. Tribes were in much worse situation before.