PDA

View Full Version : Stop listening to the vocal minority of players

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Xsyon dude, stop listening to the cry babies who post on forums, they are a minority. Stick with your vision: If you feel the population needs to be split on 2 servers, then do so.. What the hell? Trying to cram everyone into one server is just going to ruin everything.

We're going to have a baidaid quick fix to try to make the population work on one server, and that's just going to be aweful. And where is new player growth going to happen? There's no room as it is.

So we'll have max-pop queues, and you'll eventually have to start a new server anyway.

baka77
03-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Xsyon dude, stop listening to the cry babies who post on forums, they are a minority. Stick with your vision: If you feel the population needs to be split on 2 servers, then do so.. What the hell? Trying to cram everyone into one server is just going to ruin everything.

Do you realize that by reverting to one server he actually IS sticking with his original vision? LMAO

The only reason he needed two servers was the homestead/animal issue. His team has come up with some work-arounds for those issues & thus we're now back to one server. Rejoice!

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Do you realize that by reverting to one server he actually IS sticking with his original vision? LMAO

The only reason he needed two servers was the homestead/animal issue. His team has come up with some work-arounds for those issues & thus we're now back to one server. Rejoice!

That's right, bandaid code fixes to try to make it work, shifting his vision of how it works to try to cram as many people into one server as possible.

Think about that.

Nevermind the War/Peace thing, it should have always been just 2 servers of the same ruleset

Monfols
03-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Jooky never wanted to have 2 servers so he is just following his heart atm.
He learned from the mistake to listen to people and create two servers.

Short: He is awesome 1 server ftw !

baka77
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
That's right, bandaid code fixes to try to make it work, shifting his vision of how it works to try to cram as many people into one server as possible.

Think about that.

Nevermind the War/Peace thing, it should have always been just 2 servers of the same ruleset

LOL, it was always his vision to have one server. And funny enough, a lot of people think his "band-aid code fixes" actually add some cool new meta-gaming elements.

Xidian
03-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Two servers would split the entire playerbase, my heart dropped when I just logged in and saw on my Tribe Forums "Two servers official" and then I saw right above it "Ok, back to one server" I'm glad I haven't been able to be active because as soon as the news about two servers hit I probably would have thrown my computer out the window. This is supposed to be a living breathing world, sandboxes cannot be on seperate servers, it destroys the whole idea of the game. Is eve online on two servers? No. Is Mortal Online on two servers? NO! It's called a Sandbox for a reason, not sandboxes.

All in all, I'm just glad they decided to stick with their original vision.

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Jooky must be on crack if he's listening to you people. You people are on crack to be listening to Jooky. Everyone is on crack!

But seriously.. have you wandered around the land lately? Totems and people everywhere that has any kind of junk, and many places that doesn't.

It's not a wilderness, it's a big damn colony, from one side of the map to the other, with little splotches of wilderness on top of mountains here and there.

They are, they said, no where near being able to open the green mist.. So where are new players going to go? No new subs? Ok, Jooky must be rich! Or maybe he'll have to sell to SoE to keep the game alive?

Uh...

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Two servers would split the entire playerbase, my heart dropped when I just logged in and saw on my Tribe Forums "Two servers official" and then I saw right above it "Ok, back to one server" I'm glad I haven't been able to be active because as soon as the news about two servers hit I probably would have thrown my computer out the window. This is supposed to be a living breathing world, sandboxes cannot be on seperate servers, it destroys the whole idea of the game. Is eve online on two servers? No. Is Mortal Online on two servers? NO! It's called a Sandbox for a reason, not sandboxes.

All in all, I'm just glad they decided to stick with their original vision.

You sir, are damn silly.

Sandbox is sandbox reguardless of how many server instances there are. That in fact has nothing to do with the term sandbox.

As for Mortal Online, they are lucky to have enough players for one mini-server, let alone opening other servers heh

TheDevi
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM

We're going to have a baidaid quick fix to try to make the population work on one server, and that's just going to be aweful. And where is new player growth going to happen? There's no room as it is.

So we'll have max-pop queues, and you'll eventually have to start a new server anyway.

randomt YOU ARE THE VOCAL MINORITY.

Im not religious, but I woke up thanking god that xsyon wont have 2 ghost servers like darkfall.

yoori
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM
A lot of homesteads will disapear in first few weeks. They'll join a tribe or move closer to one.
In a month or so new lands will be available. Have you seen how much scrap is in the mist now?
It'll be crowded in the begining, but better in a long run.

And right now you're a vocal minority.

orious13
03-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Since it will be a little "Crowded" there will be a lot more interesting things happen once the mist opens up. Who's going to leave? Any crazy tussles? Team scouting ops?

Banok
03-05-2011, 09:40 AM
splitting to 2 servers WAS the bandaid fix

no splitting community WAS the original vision

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Yes, I am part of the posting vocal minority, I agree.

Remember.. the people who post on forums are a minority of the actual player population in mmos and games in general.

New lands? He said it will be a very long time before any new land can be opened, they are still working extensively on the Existing land. Their words, not mine.

galagah
03-05-2011, 09:41 AM
But seriously.. have you wandered around the land lately? Totems and people everywhere that has any kind of junk, and many places that doesn't.
It's not a wilderness, it's a big damn colony, from one side of the map to the other, with little splotches of wilderness on top of mountains here and there.
They are, they said, no where near being able to open the green mist.. So where are new players going to go? No new subs? Ok, Jooky must be rich! Or maybe he'll have to sell to SoE to keep the game alive?

This .

I also do NOT believe we have gone from :-

2) The main reason for this is to handle our current game population and anticipated growth over the next few months.

To suddenly , in a matter of hours , being able to handle current population on one server . Add in the fact that he has admitted they are some time off pushing back the mist .
If the game launches and does another 18th Feb , people will start to drop this like a hot rock .

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Since it will be a little "Crowded" there will be a lot more interesting things happen once the mist opens up. Who's going to leave? Any crazy tussles? Team scouting ops?

Yes, a few years from now when they open the mist, things will be interesting!

Anyway my coffee is done brewing, time to go.. I'll leave you people to go on and on about your personal notions. without considering the implications, like usual. Like I do.

orious13
03-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Remember.. the people who post on forums are a minority of the actual player population in mmos and games in general.

New lands? He said it will be a very long time before any new land can be opened, they are still working extensively on the Existing land. Their words, not mine.

The existing land is some 10 times bigger than what we have within the green mist. They are working on this existing land, yes, but I don't think you're understanding how much bigger the world actually is already. It'll be like a month or 2 until they fix whatever maybe, but it's not like adding new land.

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes, a few years from now when they open the mist, things will be interesting!

Anyway my coffee is done brewing, time to go.. I'll leave you people to go on and on about your personal notions. without considering the implications, like usual. Like I do.

One last thing.. are YOU going to move to a new server when they eventually open one anyway, because they will have no choice? Who's going to abondan all their hard earned stuff on the main server to flesh out a new one?

If they launch with 2 servers, everyone has room to grow, both servers have stable populations in the long run, etc. Instead of one server that's "full" and one that'll be "for new players, with no population"

yoori
03-05-2011, 09:47 AM
The first expansion zone should be ready by the end of April

If you're not planning to play more than 2 months it really is long.

randomt
03-05-2011, 09:49 AM
The existing land is some 10 times bigger than what we have within the green mist. They are working on this existing land, yes, but I don't think you're understanding how much bigger the world actually is already. It'll be like a month or 2 until they fix whatever maybe, but it's not like adding new land.

Yes, because you obviously know better than the DEVs, who are the ones who said a) this will not be opened in a long time, and b) the population is too big, the interest in the game is bigger than they expected. The design is not for that many people.

Now he's got to do bandaids to try to make it work, because a few posters in the forums cried over and over... Well fine, We can do the same to convince him that he's making an even bigger mistake by trying to cram everyone into one shard.

TheDevi
03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
One last thing.. are YOU going to move to a new server when they eventually open one anyway, because they will have no choice? Who's going to abondan all their hard earned stuff on the main server to flesh out a new one?

If they launch with 2 servers, everyone has room to grow, both servers have stable populations in the long run, etc. Instead of one server that's "full" and one that'll be "for new players, with no population"

If they launch 2 servers both will be half empty.
I would be playing darkfall right now if the servers were merged and there was still enough people playing to have some decent fights, instead they split NA and EU and now the servers are both empty, with only ghost holdings.

Don't expect a niche game like this to have such a large population when the last 2 that came out, Mortal Online and Darkfall both struggled with low populations.

shadowlz
03-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Did you even READ Jordi's post?

"This decision was made not because of the arguments and complaints but arose from proposals from the other programmers to resolve the crowding issues without the additional complications of managing two worlds."

His update talks about how he didn't want to have to manage 2 servers with a small team and yet you seem to think he did it for us. He just happen to make everyone but you happy in the process, now who's the whiner?

Hollywood
03-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Yay one server again! Go Xsyon!

orious13
03-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Yes, because you obviously know better than the DEVs, who are the ones who said a) this will not be opened in a long time, and b) the population is too big, the interest in the game is bigger than they expected. The design is not for that many people.

Now he's got to do bandaids to try to make it work, because a few posters in the forums cried over and over... Well fine, We can do the same to convince him that he's making an even bigger mistake by trying to cram everyone into one shard.

they said april at the earliest though...

Mystais
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Next weekend, it will be interesting to see how many are wanting a second server if the pings are back to 900+ ms due to over population.

galagah
03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Next weekend, it will be interesting to see how many are wanting a second server if the pings are back to 900+ ms due to over population.

Exactly.......

Kroom
03-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Of course people want better performance... It's the different development path for each server was the concern.

Increased subscriptions requiring an additional server is a “good problem” for the developer.

Edit: If that is of such a huge concern for you I would suggest you never pre-order an MMO again.

Tehroth
03-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Perhaps the first tribal area a tribe sets up should be mutual war agreement and once the mists open up there should be rare resources some far distance from everyone in a FFA area. In order to get these resource the tribe will have to make an expansion which no matter if they don't want pvp can be taken away from them.

So it gives the carebears an option. Either just craft with the small amount of resources in their main encampment, or venture off into the new area for the rare resources. This should make both parties happy. Although the prelude 6-9 months is a bit too much, hopefully they will lower it to around 2-3 months then make the new expansion areas.

baka77
03-05-2011, 10:14 AM

That's a possibility, but clearly not one Jordi is expecting. I don't think he's a complete moron, & only a complete moron would set himself up for a repeat of 2/18. He sees the code & I'm willing to bet he's learned from the mistakes last month; for now I'll trust his judgment until I see evidence to the contrary next week.

Aethaeryn
03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
This thread is full of an incredible amount of sense. . . I need to leave the forums now while I still feel like the community is on a high.

Mystais
03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Of course people want better performance... It's the different development path for each server was the concern.

Increased subscriptions requiring an additional server is a “good problem” for the developer.

Edit: If that is of such a huge concern for you I would suggest you never pre-order an MMO again.

No concern of mine but thanks. Been playing mmos since Meridian 59 and have done my share of betas and pre-orders. Increased subscription pop is great but then losing them to an inability to host that pop is another. I was here for the first launch and weathered that storm. Just not looking forward to it again. Hopefully it will not be an issue this time.

@baka77 I hope the same and have my fingers crossed.

Kroom
03-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I am confused, what makes you think a second sever isn’t waiting to be turned on if issues arise?

Or are concerned the pool of players on each server won't be large enough?

orious13
03-05-2011, 10:44 AM
I am confused, what makes you think a second sever isn’t waiting to be turned on if issues arise?

Or are concerned the pool of players on each server won't be large enough?

EXACTLY....
It was always said that the second server would be availiable if needed. First for EU/USA (which the community hated), then for the server split (which everyone hated), and now finally it will be just for performance.

Mystais
03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Just considering how it was on the 18th and how many new players we have gotten since then... I am just really concerned that trying this again on one server is not going to be, to be kind, smooth. Just seems wiser to make two identical servers now and not risk the pain that another '18th' may bring us is all. But Jooky is da man so I'll put my faith in him... and keep my fingers crossed.

baka77
03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Jordi is certainly making a bold choice. Right now, we can only hope/trust that his confidence is well placed. Methinks he is wise enough to know that a repeat of 2/18 could be catastrophic to his financial well being.

Kroom
03-05-2011, 10:54 AM
I am concerned too. I will be pissed reading a downtime announcement along with you.

These are technical semantics that neither of us is qualified to debate over. It’s a burden for the developer.

orious13
03-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Yep, but I'm staying regardless.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Jooky must be on crack if he's listening to you people. You people are on crack to be listening to Jooky. Everyone is on crack!

Uh...

You must be in some crowded areas. I took a nice long hike for hours the other night and there was lots of open spaces where I saw no one.

shadowlz
03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
You must be in some crowded areas. I took a nice long hike for hours the other night and there was lots of open spaces where I saw no one.

yeah, people stay at the starting areas because of lazyness. There is tons and tons of room everywhere sometimes plains of open area. A lot of people look for the nearest junk pile and plop down, if they cant they move to next closest to they find a spot.

Cracky69
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM

There are lots of players who have already seen numerous wipes and are simply not interested in building up again just for their developments to be wiped again. As soon as the final wipe has occured there will be a very large land rush.

I am personally very concerned with the lack of space. I have already seen how too much development and terraforming can make parts of the landscape a real mess, and I am sure there is a limit to how many people can be accomodated. I am struggling to find much confidence in the project when we go from needing 2 servers to coping on 1 in just one evening.

At the end of the day Jordi has information that we don't. It's tricky managing a community of players each with their own vision, but I feel he has to consider the game's playability as it's most important factor.

This is not EVE, in which adding new space is clearly easier. I support a one server ideal, but not at the expense of playability. At the end of the day Jordi should trust his own judgement and do what he feels is right for the game.

BigCountry
03-05-2011, 11:55 AM
There are lots of players who have already seen numerous wipes and are simply not interested in building up again just for their developments to be wiped again. As soon as the final wipe has occured there will be a very large land rush.

I am personally very concerned with the lack of space. I have already seen how too much development and terraforming can make parts of the landscape a real mess, and I am sure there is a limit to how many people can be accomodated. I am struggling to find much confidence in the project when we go from needing 2 servers to coping on 1 in just one evening.

At the end of the day Jordi has information that we don't. It's tricky managing a community of players each with their own vision, but I feel he has to consider the game's playability as it's most important factor.

This is not EVE, in which adding new space is clearly easier. I support a one server ideal, but not at the expense of playability. At the end of the day Jordi should trust his own judgement and do what he feels is right for the game.

Well said.

mgilbrtsn
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM

true, they are a minority, but they are a representative sampling of the larger whole.