PDA

View Full Version : A Tribe Can't Fence in a Homestead

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Just make it so a tribe can't put a fence around a homestead, and I'm sure we soloers can figure out how to work around every other problem brought on by being outnumbered in an overcrowded area.

But we won't be able to play if we can be fenced in or shut out of our own homestead.

baka77
03-05-2011, 02:31 PM
in an overcrowded area.

Here is your problem. Pick a less crowded area, mate! I posted this to you in other threads. If you're so concerned about having your plot of land "seized" by a large tribe, just find a more strategic spot to place you totem. Explore a bit & don't plop down at the first or largest junk pile you can find. There are tons of areas out there that have just enough flat land for a home plot & a small nearby junk pile that will never interest any proper tribe.

Nephilim
03-05-2011, 02:40 PM
There are tons of areas out there that have just enough flat land for a home plot & a small nearby junk pile that will never interest any proper tribe.

this i agree. i found a beautiful place way the h*** out in the middle of no where. and its awsome and i think even in this low pop time *with all the wipes* i have seen maybe one person even come within view range :) the land is out there for the adventurous and those that can take a few mins to LEARN to read the gps cords on their screen.

mrwooj
03-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Here is your problem. Pick a less crowded area, mate! I posted this to you in other threads. If you're so concerned about having your plot of land "seized" by a large tribe, just find a more strategic spot to place you totem. Explore a bit & don't plop down at the first or largest junk pile you can find. There are tons of areas out there that have just enough flat land for a home plot & a small nearby junk pile that will never interest any proper tribe.

If the game mechanic allows it, then it will happen. The answer is not to allow it to still happen but blame the homestead owner because he chose a piece of land that fancied him. The answer is to change the game mechanics so this cannot happen.

Why the F would i want to play the game if my playstyle accounts for nothing in this game and any 10yo griefer with 4 friends can drop a totem next to mine, fence me in, wait till i disband and then keep my architecture or destroy it all and reclaim all the resourses in the building structures i made. When resourses are mega scarce this might even be a good tactic just to collect nails, timber etc?

baka77
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
If the game mechanic allows it, then it will happen. The answer is not to allow it to still happen but blame the homestead owner because he chose a piece of land that fancied him. The answer is to change the game mechanics so this cannot happen.

Why the F would i want to play the game if my playstyle accounts for nothing in this game and any 10yo griefer with 4 friends can drop a totem next to mine, fence me in, wait till i disband and then keep my architecture or destroy it all and reclaim all the resourses in the building structures i made. When resourses are mega scarce this might even be a good tactic just to collect nails, timber etc?

Hmmm...how patient do you think these "10yo griefer with 4 friends" will be? I can't imagine they'll be very patient at all & will move on sooner rather than later if they're getting no satisfaction or rise out of the homesteader. I don't really see such thug tactics as this being very successful. You also have to consider that the land will expand by the end of April & even more beyond that. I highly doubt every tribe or homesteader in the game will choose to stay in their original spot forever & ever.

Grass_Ninja
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
to bad a 5 man group isnt a tribe anymore. lol L2read

mrwooj
03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Hmmm...how patient do you think these "10yo griefer with 4 friends" will be? I can't imagine they'll be very patient at all & will move on sooner rather than later if they're getting no satisfaction or rise out of the homesteader. I don't really see such thug tactics as this being very successful. You also have to consider that the land will expand by the end of April & even more beyond that. I highly doubt every tribe or homesteader in the game will choose to stay in their original spot forever & ever.

Unless you have never played an online game before in your life you will already be aware that if it can happen via the game mechanics, it will happen.

baka77
03-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Unless you have never played an online game before in your life you will already be aware that if it can happen via the game mechanics, it will happen.

Oh, I fully expect it to happen. I just said I didn't think that kind of griefer tactic would be very successful in the long run.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:13 PM
What a bunch of lies and justifications. I've been all over the map. Very few places have no totem. I am looking again today, not for the first time, so far, in all the hours I've explored, I have found no location where I couldn't be either fenced in with a water source and junk or fenced out if I left my homestead, and even coordinates I had written down that were literally in green mist are taken.

So stop telling lies, tribe members, there isn't enough to go around, and you're just tickled silly that you're the ones who will be getting access to it all.

NexAnima
03-05-2011, 03:42 PM
What a bunch of lies and justifications. I've been all over the map. Very few places have no totem. I am looking again today, not for the first time, so far, in all the hours I've explored, I have found no location where I couldn't be either fenced in with a water source and junk or fenced out if I left my homestead, and even coordinates I had written down that were literally in green mist are taken.

So stop telling lies, tribe members, there isn't enough to go around, and you're just tickled silly that you're the ones who will be getting access to it all.

In the area of my tribe there is about 7 220m minimum areas to place for tribes and thats just in my zone. I don't know what zone your working in but there is room. They just don't have the complete ideal conditions.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:50 PM
In the area of my tribe there is about 7 220m minimum areas to place for tribes and thats just in my zone. I don't know what zone your working in but there is room. They just don't have the complete ideal conditions.

All I need for a spot to be viable in a crowded world that can be fenced is access to water and junk in my homestead safe zone. Guess what? All of those are going to be snatched up by tribes, tribe alts, tribal groups split off to claim more land for their tribes in completely unfair but mechanically permissible ways.

A homesteader will have to not only find such a place, but will have to log in and beat all of 5 tribe members to it when the time comes to place a totem.

Good luck with that.

Even if the homesteader is lucky enough to succeed, they then can't leave their area for fear of being fenced out of it, and can't leave their area and walk within the fencing without being killable by invulnerable tribe members from the surrounding tribes.

That's not viable.

Armand
03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
So 1 person should be free to potentially cockblock 50 others out of valuable resources and land, and expect no retaliation? Not very MMorpg like is it?

I'm not aware of your own personal motivations and play style, so please don't consider the statement personal. I just want for large communities to have the ability to deal with griefers and bad neighbors.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:57 PM
So 1 person should be free to potentially cockblock 50 others out of valuable resources and land, and expect no retaliation? Not very MMorpg like is it?

I'm not aware of your own personal motivations and play style, so please don't consider the statement personal. I just want for large communities to have the ability to deal with griefers and bad neighbors.

But how will solo players deal with groups of griefers? What is unfair for a group to have to endure is also unfair for the individual to have to endure.

We need more junk piles in isolated areas or tribes must not be able to fence in a homesteader. Period. I can't think of any other way to keep both play styles viable.

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Lemme put it in this perspective. We are all going to Ruth Chris for dinner. You get a big juicy filet. I get to eat spam and I have to eat it out back in the kitchen so it doesn't offend you folks eating steak. But we both paid the same amount of money for dinner.

For the most part I just really want a playable game to launch. But If I must be treated like a second class citizen I would appreciate tribes to stop rubbing our noses in spam and telling us to shut up and eat it. Thats all.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Lemme put it in this perspective. We are all going to Ruth Chris for dinner. You get a big juicy filet. I get to eat spam and I have to eat it out back in the kitchen so it doesn't offend you folks eating steak. But we both paid the same amount of money for dinner.

For the most part I just really want a playable game to launch. But If I must be treated like a second class citizen I would appreciate tribes to stop rubbing our noses in spam and telling us to shut up and eat it. Thats all.

Man, am I seeing some great spots that deserve some junk right now. The whole 657 area would be crap for tribes to settle and perfect for solo players and groups of three or four to live on, it just needs some junk.

Jadzia
03-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a suggestion.

If a homestead is surrounded by a tribe then fencing the homestead should be considered as griefing and should be against the rules. The homestead player should be unvulnerable in the surrounding tribe's area for the tribemembers unless he/she is flagged for stealing resources.

Armand
03-05-2011, 04:03 PM
But how will solo players deal with groups of griefers? What is unfair for a group to have to endure is also unfair for the individual to have to endure.

We need more junk piles in isolated areas or tribes must not be able to fence in a homesteader. Period. I can't think of any other way to keep both play styles viable.

This is something that the dev team obviously hasn't been able to sort out. This game's line between griefing and territorial control methods is a very fine one.

I agree though that scattered junk piles of small/medium size would help in facilitating the existence of solo players.

Xidian
03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
It is realistic for in a post-apocalyptic world that people that band together and make a tribe will have more opportunities than 1 guy by himself. Stop crying and get over it.

Tandarie your analogy is flawed, because if 50 people got to eat the filet and ONLY you had to eat the spam, THEN go somewhere else to eat. Meaning, leave and go play another game if you don't like the rules or make some friends.

shadowlz
03-05-2011, 04:05 PM

Reporting them would be a good start.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 04:06 PM
I have a suggestion.

If a homestead is surrounded by a tribe then fencing the homestead should be considered as griefing and should be against the rules. The homestead player should be unvulnerable in the surrounding tribe's area for the tribemembers unless he/she is flagged for stealing resources.

Well that would work for me, especially since it does now require 10 and not 5 to make an actual tribe that can surround a homestead (I'd forgotten about the change making 5-9 clans and not tribes, that should help with some totem placement day exploiting I know people are planning). But I still think it would be far better to not allow a mechanic that could lead to that kind of griefing in the first place and instead scatter junk in isolated locations (code permitting) so we homesteaders and you tribes never have to call in a guide over issues like fencing in the first place.

NexAnima
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Wait...wat? Did I get there before you therefore there was no steak left for you? Assuming so, had I showed up late, it would have been you eating the steak and me eating the spam.

Grass_Ninja
03-05-2011, 04:09 PM
this guy had some good thoughts a few weeks ago but now i swear all hes doing is trolling. he is worse then the pandemic ppl at least they seem to have calmed down by now

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Reporting them would be a good start.

First, we don't even know if it's a reportable offense to fence in a homesteader yet.

To Xidian: Humans are nasty horrid little creatures. If you want to bring in reality, lets talk reality. In a situation like this, slavery would immediately arise (by whatever name it would be called). Brutality, genocide, theft, simple homicide, all of those would immediately deplete the population even further.

Hey, I was a history major, I understand how things really work. And now I'd like to play a game. What are games? Well, just like books and movies, they are means of escaping ugly reality.

If you want realistic, don't play games.

baka77
03-05-2011, 04:12 PM

I love analogies, so I'll play along. Yay! :)

Here is my take on the steakhouse. We both go to Ruth Chris, but I'm with a birthday party of 20 people. You're flying solo, taking up a 4 top that means the restaurant now has 3 empty seats. All 21 of us order the same steak. Now, the waiter realizes he's getting a bigger tip from the 20 top, so guess what...we are probably gonna get our drinks refilled a little faster & our plates brought out a little quicker. However, you'll get your steak too. And it'll probably be just as delicious as mine. We all get tasty vittles, but you are just gonna have to accept the reality of the situation that your $10 tip is not quite as important to the waiter as the $200 tip my party is gonna drop.

Ok, you can now proceed to tell me what an ass I am & how I should stop posting on the forums today because you GET IT. Let the games begin!!! HEY OHHH!!! <Anchorman reference ftw>

Jadzia
03-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Well that would work for me, especially since it does now require 10 and not 5 to make an actual tribe that can surround a homestead (I'd forgotten about the change making 5-9 clans and not tribes, that should help with some totem placement day exploiting I know people are planning). But I still think it would be far better to not allow a mechanic that could lead to that kind of griefing in the first place and instead scatter junk in isolated locations (code permitting) so we homesteaders and you tribes never have to call in a guide over issues like fencing in the first place.

While I agree with you that the current mechanic is not a good one at the same time I know that not implementing something like that would lead to another type of griefing. And agree again, adding more small junk piles all over the map would ease up everything.

shadowlz
03-05-2011, 04:23 PM
this guy had some good thoughts a few weeks ago but now i swear all hes doing is trolling. he is worse then the pandemic ppl at least they seem to have calmed down by now

I take offense to that, good sir.

First, we don't even know if it's a reportable offense to fence in a homesteader yet.

I retract my suggestion then.

Tandarie
03-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm going to go watch a movie with my husband who also has an account and eat some spam. Because from the looks of things I better learn to like it.

Good day to you Sirs........ I said good day!

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm going to go watch a movie with my husband who also has an account and eat some spam. Because from the looks of things I better learn to like it.

Good day to you Sirs........ I said good day!

That, or spam eating homesteaders are going to have to learn to stalk and murder tribe members whereever we can, whenever we can on one account, while keeping a second account for our crafters to be safe in.

Tribes aren't the only sneaky bastards who can exploit allowed game mechanics.

And I detest spam, so I guess I'm coming to steal your steak, bishes.

NexAnima
03-05-2011, 04:28 PM

To Xidian: Humans are nasty horrid little creatures. If you want to bring in reality, lets talk reality. In a situation like this, slavery would immediately arise (by whatever name it would be called). Brutality, genocide, theft, simple homicide, all of those would immediately deplete the population even further.

Hey, I was a history major, I understand how things really work. And now I'd like to play a game. What are games? Well, just like books and movies, they are means of escaping ugly reality.

If you want realistic, don't play games.

I think that the reason most of us would like reality (to a point) is some of the benefits that come it it IE: politics. And all those things you mentioned to Xidian is the reason we have our societies the way they are now. Unfortunately these influences can not be reproduced in a game or at least the emotion from it.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 04:30 PM
I think that the reason most of us would like reality (to a point) is some of the benefits that come it it IE: politics. And all those things you mentioned to Xidian is the reason we have our societies the way they are now. Unfortunately these influences can not be reproduced in a game or at least the emotion from it.

Of course not, no real death penalty means packs of mongrel bullies never need really fear a stealthy knife in the back. Politics in games are over simplified to the point of meaninglessness.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Soloers are choosing an outcast lifestyle in a dangerous world where there is strength in numbers. Nature itself evolved many creatures in groups so they could protect the pack (or Tribe). By going solo, you are exposing yourself to more danger, and you need to own up to that. It may be that the way you can best operate solo in this game is to be nomadic. I don't know, only time will tell.

As I have said in other threads, I think solo play will be very interesting to see and experience. It is probably going to be the most difficult way to play the game, and that is as it should be in my opinion. I have no doubt that people will figure out how to do it very, very well.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Soloers are choosing an outcast lifestyle in a dangerous world where there is strength in numbers. Nature itself evolved many creatures in groups so they could protect the pack (or Tribe). Be going solo, you are exposing yourself to more danger, and you need to own up to that. It may be that the way you can best operate solo in this game is to be nomadic. I don't know, only time will tell.

As I have said in other threads, I think solo play will be very interesting to see and experience. It is probably going to be the most difficult way to play the game, and that is as it should be in my opinion.

I always expected it to be the most difficult way. I relish it. But without resources, it's not difficult, it's simply impossible. You tribes, forced into this crowded, one server, tiny world, will fence off every resource from us, and if we try to claim a resource, you will grief us (by whatever name you want to call it) until we move.

There is a difference between a harsh, difficult play style and an unviable one. If a tribe can fence a smaller group or solo player completely out or in, the play style goes from harsh and difficult to simply impossible.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
I always expected it to be the most difficult way. I relish it. But without resources, it's not difficult, it's simply impossible. You tribes, forced into this crowded, one server, tiny world, will fence off every resource from us, and if we try to claim a resource, you will grief us (by whatever name you want to call it) until we move.

There is a difference between a harsh, difficult play style and an unviable one. If a tribe can fence a smaller group or solo player completely out or in, the play style goes from harsh and difficult to simply impossible.

Agreed maybe a mechanic that stops you from being encircled by a fence more than 50%? and only being able to fence you out of the main area of the tribe. Who knows though maybe they will be friendly to you and allow you to stay independent for a tax?

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Agreed maybe a mechanic that stops you from being encircled by a fence more than 50%? and only being able to fence you out of the main area of the tribe. Who knows though maybe they will be friendly to you and allow you to stay independent for a tax?

I'm not paying a tax to some tribe, that's just as bad as joining them. And it's a dull, monochrome world you guys are getting, too. Even if I don't stay and relentlessly kill you every time I catch you alone, you'll reap what you sow, because you'll be bored out of your mind in a month, and your eyes will be bored well before that, as you look out on a vast suburb of villages without a single lone campfire to be seen anywhere.

Know who is really going to love this change?

The RMT crowd. Prime real estate, on sale now to tribes of 10 and up! In a resource-scarce, crowded up game, where your character is determines its value. I'm sure accounts will be on sale in no time. Lake view. Junk pile, resource starved neighbors.

Disgusting.

wolfmoonstrike
03-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not paying a tax to some tribe, that's just as bad as joining them. And it's a dull, monochrome world you guys are getting, too. Even if I don't stay and relentlessly kill you every time I catch you alone, you'll reap what you sow, because you'll be bored out of your mind in a month, and your eyes will be bored well before that, as you look out on a vast suburb of villages without a single lone campfire to be seen anywhere.

Know who is really going to love this change?

The RMT crowd. Prime real estate, on sale now to tribes of 10 and up! In a resource-scarce, crowded up game, where your character is determines its value. I'm sure accounts will be on sale in no time. Lake view. Junk pile, resource starved neighbors.

Disgusting.

Wow man their is just no compromise with you. I respect that in a way but it can be annoying lol. Well since no compromise with you....

Deal with it the current mechanics, fight to change them, or move on. Those are your current choices. You wish to play like an outcast and a rebel or whatever quit bitching because it's not easier for soloers. You keep insulting those who choose to team up and choose to cooperate. This is a post-apoc world, you survive by any means possible or you die. Not our fault you choose to play solo. Move into the mountains away from all groups and live a happy hermit life. If you die and have nothing to fall back on and no one to trust because you were too stubborn, its not my fault but yours. Honestly at this point I have no really clue what you're argument is about. If you're really worried about not getting your place wait a few months when the green mist opens up, thier will be space aplenty by then.

Right now we only have 10% of the total space.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Wow man their is just no compromise with you. I respect that in a way but it can be annoying lol. Well since no compromise with you....

Deal with it the current mechanics, fight to change them, or move on. Those are your current choices. You wish to play like an outcast and a rebel or whatever quit bitching because it's not easier for soloers. You keep insulting those who choose to team up and choose to cooperate. This is a post-apoc world, you survive by any means possible or you die. Not our fault you choose to play solo. Move into the mountains away from all groups and live a happy hermit life. If you die and have nothing to fall back on and no one to trust because you were too stubborn, its not my fault but yours. Honestly at this point I have no really clue what you're argument is about. If you're really worried about not getting your place wait a few months when the green mist opens up, thier will be space aplenty by then.

Right now we only have 10% of the total space.

I think he's jumping the gun a little too. He makes it sound like there will be tribe on top of tribe, which will certainly be true in some areas, but not the whole map. I'm also sure there will be a large influx of people at launch, then some will leave. This is on top of the fact that the devs are planning to open up more land by April, which is right around the corner. Does anyone really think every inch of this game will be covered by people?

He's going to have a hard time competing with tribes in resource rich areas, and that is only natural. As a solo player, he will be doing a lot more running (to resources, and from people who want to kill him). Like he said, he relishes the challenge.

I would also like to point out that solo players are going to want to find Tribes to become friends with for resources. You don't have to live with them, and hell, you don't even have to like them, but you can USE them for your needs. Even hermits have to go into town once in a while for supplies.

I envision tribes having lists of trusted people who are soloers and nomads that they do business with, and they will agree not to attack them and enforce this agreement with their tribe members.

I'm sorry, but if you plan to play this game solo and not deal with a single other person or tribe, you are in for a rough, rough ride. Embrace it or soften your position some.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I think he's jumping the gun a little too. He makes it sound like there will be tribe on top of tribe, which will certainly be true in some areas, but not the whole map. I'm also sure there will be a large influx of people at launch, then some will leave. This is on top of the fact that the devs are planning to open up more land by April, which is right around the corner. Does anyone really think every inch of this game will be covered by people?

He's going to have a hard time competing with tribes in resource rich areas, and that is only natural. As a solo player, he will be doing a lot more running. Like he said, he relishes the challenge.

Spend four hours running through green mist at the edges of the map only to find tribe on top of tribe piled up even there. I just did. It will open your eyes to how bad the situation really is. Until then, I can't argue it with you, because you don't know how rare it is to stumble on a good place to settle.

I have finally, after hours and hours, found one. This one space might be taken on launch day. Then what do I do? I'll have trucked my character out here to the edge of this damn map, to sit on a little junk pile by a river, and if I don't log on before 10 people do, all of whom will have priority in a huge radius that will negate my attempt to place my totem, then what?

I won't have a backup location, I can't, because I will already be out in this damn mist, trying to place. And by the time I get to anywhere else, all the places I could live on will be gone.

Not viable.

But we'll see. On launch day, I'm going to try to get a spot. If I do get fenced in, fine. I'll stay on my pile and grind until I have all the skills and resources necessary to move to a location that isn't fenced. Then I'll relentlessly pester guides to get me out with my biggest basket on my back, since obviously I'll be trapped until one is willing to do me the grand favor of teleporting my soloing butt over the fence. (That's if they happen to have fixed unstuck by then).

At which point I will feel free to make whatever tribe was foolish enough to fence me pay quite dearly for doing so.

But if I can't place on launch day because there is no where to place, I don't know what I'll do. PK til I get bored, I guess.

It sucks. This really, really sucks. And I don't think I'm overreacting. RPing a tad bit plus venting, but not overreacting. Because most of us solo players are going to get screwed on launch day, and we won't have recourse to a backup plan.

mindtrigger
03-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Spend four hours running through green mist at the edges of the map only to find tribe on top of tribe piled up even there. I just did. It will open your eyes to how bad the situation really is. Until then, I can't argue it with you, because you don't know how rare it is to stumble on a good place to settle.

I have finally, after hours and hours, found one. This one space might be taken on launch day. Then what do I do? I'll have trucked my character out here to the edge of this damn map, to sit on a little junk pile by a river, and if I don't log on before 10 people do, all of whom will have priority in a huge radius that will negate my attempt to place my totem, then what?

I won't have a backup location, I can't, because I will already be out in this damn mist, trying to place. And by the time I get to anywhere else, all the places I could live on will be gone.

Not viable.

But we'll see. On launch day, I'm going to try to get a spot. If I do get fenced in, fine. I'll stay on my pile and grind until I have all the skills and resources necessary to move to a location that isn't fenced. Then I'll relentlessly pester guides to get me out with my biggest basket on my back, since obviously I'll be trapped until one is willing to do me the grand favor of teleporting my soloing butt over the fence. (That's if they happen to have fixed unstuck by then).

At which point I will feel free to make whatever tribe was foolish enough to fence me pay quite dearly for doing so.

But if I can't place on launch day because there is no where to place, I don't know what I'll do. PK til I get bored, I guess.

It sucks. This really, really sucks. And I don't think I'm overreacting. RPing a tad bit plus venting, but not overreacting. Because most of us solo players are going to get screwed on launch day, and we won't have recourse to a backup plan.

You are creating some very elaborate scenarios here purely out of your imagination, and you have zero basis for them. Why don't you wait until after launch and you play a while and see what happens.

By the way, I went up to the mist where my tribe was, and I ran for about 1.5 hours only seeing a few settlements. I find it hard to believe you have walked the entire map and seen tribes covering the whole thing.

You also should understand that a lot of people have been experimenting with totems since another wipe is coming. I think a lot of those will go away when people get to join their tribes finally.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 07:24 PM
You are creating some very elaborate scenarios here purely out of your imagination, and you have zero basis for them. Why don't you wait until after launch and you play a while and see what happens.

By the way, I went up to the mist where my tribe was, and I ran for about 1.5 hours only seeing a few settlements. I find it hard to believe you have walked the entire map and seen tribes covering the whole thing.

You also should understand that a lot of people have been experimenting with totems since another wipe is coming. I think a lot of those will go away when people get to join their tribes finally.

We shall see, won't we? But the fact remains, regardless of whether I place a totem or not, being able to fence a solo player or small tribe into your tribe land is a mechanic that should not exist.

river111
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Been just watching and reading here for couple weeks now, and I'm not sure what the big issue is here really. Are we all concerned that if we place our homestead near an unfriendly tribe, and we know from the start that they are unfriendly to us, that we should be protected from them when they grow and we do not? The way I see it, if you know your near a tribe that doesn't like you, why exactly are you there in the first place?

And the argument of no space idea, this is not an issue really. Not every parcel of land has to have its own scrap pile, its own river, and its own bear cave for you to hunt on without leaving your tribe/clan/homestead. Learn to share with your neighbors really.

Do you really need to have your own 25 baskets full of every possible material, right next to your neighbors 25 baskets full of the same thing, right next to his neighbor with his 25 baskets of the same thing? Just because your on a homestead does not mean you have to be an anti-social hermit that runs around screaming MINE! MINE!!.

So your a basket maker on your homestead, and your neighbor is a leathercrafter, trade him some baskets for some armor. Let him collect the leather from the scrap pile and you collect the grass. Work togther, trade with those around you. Nobody HAS to be everything up front. A cohesive community of 6-8 homesteads can be just as viable as a clan of 8 all on one peice of land. Talk, work together.

Best spot I have been in yet, 4 homesteads all built AROUND a scrap pile with none of them actually owning it in thier land. Everyone left thier borders just on the edge so we could all use it. And we all just grabbed what we needed form it and shared with the others for things we couldnt make ourselves.

As for the tribes engulfing homesteads, ok. If your an enemy of your surrounding people then yeah I'd expect your going to have a hard time, just like in real life actually. If you live on a culdisac and one of the people that lives there is a disruptive jerk, never mows his lawn, and drives 60 MPG down the road when your kids are outside playing, then most likely he is going to have issues with everyone there. And if they have a homeowners association they can get you to leave, or harrass you until you do. Why should it be any different here.

But if your friendly to your tribe neighbors, and trade with them all the time, I see this as a boon to the homesteader. Hell, if you as a tribe have to have my tiny plot of land inside your walls, as long as I'm a good tenant who doesn't cause no problems, then where is the issue? Not like I can't have my own tiny home in a huge tribe anyway. Most actually do allow it. You build your one house, you store your stuff inside it, it just happens to be on tribal land.

wulvgar
03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
./unstuck exploit makes walls pointless anyways

jumpshot
03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I like to complain about hypothetical problems that may or may not happen.

korlion
03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
lol you can really tell who is from a socialist country and who is not from the peoples post. "Groups should have the most rights"...."one person shouldn't be able to block a group"..

And its not their fault. They were trained from birth to think the group is more important that the single person. Its a way to justify making the few suffer for the many and have the many support it.
the OP was about a person placing a homestead and then having a tribe grow around him and walling him in. For you people thinking the homesteader is only doing it to grief the tribe i have only one thing to say.... damn that homesteader can think way into the furture and is one patient griefer.

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
lol you can really tell who is from a socialist country and who is not from the peoples post. "Groups should have the most rights"...."one person shouldn't be able to block a group"..

And its not their fault. They were trained from birth to think the group is more important that the single person. Its a way to justify making the few suffer for the many and have the many support it.
the OP was about a person placing a homestead and then having a tribe grow around him and walling him in. For you people thinking the homesteader is only doing it to grief the tribe i have only one thing to say.... damn that homesteader can think way into the furture and is one patient griefer.

Um...I'm a socialist. But I was raised in a non-socialist country (and I still live here, although I don't plan to forever).

I'm kind of fond of happy mediums and people staying off each others toes as much as possible, and I'm always for keeping big guys (whether they're big because they're rich and powerful, or because there's just more of them) off little guys' toes.

neestas
03-05-2011, 10:32 PM
You're not socialist. You're asocial.

Cinhil124a
03-05-2011, 10:48 PM
holy hell batman hold onto your seats, iv read 4/5 pages of this non-sense, IM A HERMIT and a solo player, fencing in a homestead "SHOULDNT" be allowed but if it is its part of the game, would suck, for any single homestead, but what would u expect ploping yourself down in a zone ripe for a TRIBE... as a solo player like myself get out of their way, go far enough thats comfortable <since feb 18th and all the roll backs/wipes/lost totems iv found 10... yes 10 good spots to plop a totem thats outa everyones way, gives me my actual space, banked on a river and only a 1 1/2 min - 2 min run moderatly loaded to a junk pile...

if your stupid enough to sit there and cry about how you didnt get "YOUR SPOT" on opening day of server, honestly there is a quit button, do me a favor, and half this board use it... dont come back, we dont wanna see you here anymore, just shut up and get over it already

/end rant

ifireallymust
03-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I thought I was being sufficiently worried, but I just realized something else. No one will ever be able to stop a tribe siege. They can haul up a totem, be invulnerable at your very walls (if a timer exists granting that to a tribe with a newly placed totem, which wouldn't surprise me), and build right up against your walls to go over them.

So if walls ever do matter, they won't matter to a solo player, they won't stop anyone, not even for two seconds.

Oh, and Cinhil124a, I believe you're a solo player like I believe in Santa Claus. You might be a tribe alt, I suppose, and obviously you're just a troll and not worth my bother, but whatever.

river111
03-06-2011, 02:19 AM
I thought I was being sufficiently worried, but I just realized something else. No one will ever be able to stop a tribe siege. They can haul up a totem, be invulnerable at your very walls (if a timer exists granting that to a tribe with a newly placed totem, which wouldn't surprise me), and build right up against your walls to go over them.

So if walls ever do matter, they won't matter to a solo player, they won't stop anyone, not even for two seconds.

Oh, and Cinhil124a, I believe you're a solo player like I believe in Santa Claus. You might be a tribe alt, I suppose, and obviously you're just a troll and not worth my bother, but whatever.

Dont know how to even respond to your stuff anymore man. Really, I'm just starting to think your paranoid or something. So let me see if I get this one right. If I'm a homesteader I shouldnt build walls because some huge tribe is going to purposely build right next to me, landscape up the terrain and plop down a wall of thier own or something that lets them walk right over my walls?

Wow, if I'm that homesteader I must be some seriously important one dude to cause this entire tribe to forceble craft like crazy just to get little ole me. Sure I gues its possible, but really what is the damn point? You really think all these far fetched possibilites are going to be run-amuck everyday occurances to the point it will cause the next apoco-lips? For one guy? On his one little plot of land? You really think your going to be important enough for them to give you a second glance unless you force them to hate you that much?

Like calling Cinhil124a a tribe alt, like he is also out to get you too? Hell I agree with him, if you can't find an open plot out there TODAY then your not looking or you just dont want to look for one. I just created my second character yesterday and went out for less than 2 hours looking for a plot, found 5 I liked, built on the first one I wanted without an issue of being too close to anyone. And I wans't even near the mist. Really he is right though, some people here, that quit button should be starting to look rather good as an option.

EDIT: And I really think you missed the point of the overlap thing too. Tribes and clans start out with a medium sized boundery which cannot be build over. Homesteads can not overlap onto thier terrain. The GROWTH of a tribe can cause a homestead to be ungulfed. In the past the no build zone was set to maximum radius - noone could build in that range even if the tribe never expanded its size enough to obtain its maximum radius. Now, the nofly zone for building has been reduced to the medium range, not maximum. And if a homestead builds on that medium-to-maximum range, then they can be engulfed IF the tribe grows to maximum radius later on.

For what you think will happen to actually happen, either you know your close to a tribe and you chose to stay there no matter the concern of being engulfed later, or that tribe, the entire tribe would have to work together to over come you on purpose. They would have to start the tribe at 10 people and plant thier totem so the medium boundry is exactly at your doorstep. And then add thier remaning members until thier radius grows enough to overcome your homestead. Again, if a tribe of 50 all want to work together for the sole purpose of overtaking YOU on your ONE MAN homestead...you musta REALLY pissed them off and deserver it.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Hey whiny baby tribes, guess where the one place a homesteader like me can plant a totem where we're guaranteed access in and out of our land?

I'll give you a hint. It's the one place you don't want us anywhere near.

That's right, the lake. If nothing else, we can swim to and from our homestead. You can't dam it, you can't fence it, and you can't stop us.

Now go ask politely to NOT be allowed to fence in a homesteader.

I'm tired of being polite, myself.

And river, it's a pvp game. If you happen to not know how the majority of players act in a pvp game when faced with competition for scarce resources, man, I don't know what to say to you and I won't even waste my time trying.

Bear5732
03-06-2011, 03:23 AM
move to the mist ifire, your complaints are pointless there.

river111
03-06-2011, 04:02 AM
Hey whiny baby tribes, guess where the one place a homesteader like me can plant a totem where we're guaranteed access in and out of our land?

I'll give you a hint. It's the one place you don't want us anywhere near.

That's right, the lake. If nothing else, we can swim to and from our homestead. You can't dam it, you can't fence it, and you can't stop us.

Now go ask politely to NOT be allowed to fence in a homesteader.

I'm tired of being polite, myself.

And river, it's a pvp game. If you happen to not know how the majority of players act in a pvp game when faced with competition for scarce resources, man, I don't know what to say to you and I won't even waste my time trying.

Oh I know exactly how they act, and thats why I think your paranoid. Obviously that pisses you off, me saying your paranoid, and I'm truely sorry you feel that way. I just think you are is all. Your answer to save yourself form being mythically walled in by a ficitious tribe that hates you and wants to to go away is to move to the very spot on the map which will inevitibly cause you to have the strife your stiving to avoid.

The lake is the exact wrong spot to be as a homesteader. If you plant there you had better expect to be harrassed on a daily basis just because your there. But hey, thats ok, you go rigth ahead and plant there man, good luck with that.

But here is a hint for you, 'scarce resource' exist in places where people force themselves to coexist in large numbers and deplete the resources that are there. Right now many believe the ONLY place to get scraps is at the large piles on the lake. And these piles WILL be the first ones to dry up. Why? Because so many people want to be where they are.

The resource issue is being created by the very people who are worried about them becoming and issue. And yes, they will become an issue, because every laker thinks they need to farm them dry and stockpile all they can as fast as they can or make and scrap crafted items over and over as quick as they can in order to maximize thier skill gains before thier neighbors can. Its a strip mining mentality and it will come back to bite each and every one of you that lives on that lake. I wish you all well in the mess you will inevitable create for yourselves.

Cinhil124a
03-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Ifire, i am a hermit, and i live in the mountians usually...

thank you very much and i aint no troll, i just hate hearing these whining posts about how people dont get their way, live within the games rules and shut up.. last post to this topic since iv read enuff of your whining, atleast if you had several supporters out there even in the "NON-TRIBE" members, but i think most of the Hermits have had quite enough of you, soon, you'll find yourself even more secluded, friendless, and very tired of this game fast, which im sure if you keep up this way no one is going to miss you... i pray its soon

Koll
03-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I think the point is

a) You will need quite a large tribe to be able to encompass an homestead; a 15 men tribe radius is not that big; at 20 you are starting to have a sizeable tribe and radius.
b) If you dont like your neighbors MOVE. period. Plenty of space out there; I've seen it. Hell if we found a secluded spot big enough for a tribe so can you find one for an Homestead.
c) If not and you do get fenced in well what can I say, welcome to a sandbox pvp.

Morgan
03-06-2011, 07:45 AM
With all due respect Ifireallymust, you're just in a state of panic and rather than finding in game solutions to your problem, you are demanding the devs swoop in and save you.

Now that the TL;DR version is done (those with low attention spans please move along) let's review:

Problem:

IfIreallymust: "All I need for a spot to be viable in a crowded world that can be fenced is access to water and junk in my homestead safe zone."

There are several things wrong with this statement.
1. What will you do when Jookie removes the safe zones?
2. You "need" a junk pile in your safe zone? You really NEED one? Sounds to me like you aren't willing to risk anything at all and you only want reward. What will you do when Jookie removes the trash piles as he has stated numerous times? What will you do when you'll need to craft resources rather than just find them on the trash pile?
3. Judging by your attitude in all of your posts I can see why you'd be concerned about not having any sort of diplomacy with another tribe. Perhaps you should consider befriending larger tribes. There are many benefits not the least of which are trade, and perhaps mutual defense.
4. Do you know how long it takes to build a wall around a homestead? You are hardly trapped sir, unless you log in once every 5 days. In which case, why have a homestead?

After you ponder those, consider my own criteria for a homestead:
1. Nearby to water (does not need to be in the safe zone.)
2. Nearby to friendly tribes who would like to trade.
3. Remote. Away from the lake.

Given those requirements you can find an ideal location roughly every 30-35 minutes and that is adding time to be extra picky so the location is actually nice looking to the eye.

Finally, have you ever considered that being surrounded by a tribe may be a good thing? I foresee tribes that may take homesteads under their wing within their lands and protect them in exchange for a little help with the chores. This is how it works in EVE Online, and it works very well.

Think about those things, and try working within the game, before you declare the sky is falling and seek divine intervention.

Asmodeous
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Here's a thought: "Hey, I note the walls coming up, how about you give me (insert needed tool here), and I can just pick up and go somewhere else and free up the land for you?"

Problem solved. This goes along with that Diplomacy thing Morgan is talking about. You'd be amazed at how much such a simple offer can enamor you to a large tribe.

Dirt
03-06-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm pretty worried that there will be no scrap unfenced now. Begging for scrap will become tiresome fast.
'Please, may i scavenge on your land? No? Didnt think so." gank. rinse and repeat. Although, i think i saw a poll where decent percentage of sub's were going solo. Maybe tribes arent as big a part of pop as we think? I really wouldnt mind living in the mountains and running/sneaking for scrap if it was avaliable, but it wont be, and my 3 accounts do feel threatened. Hoping everything turns out fine. It could be that the buffer between tribes provides a big freespace to scavenge? Maybe we can get in there and pull scrap out without treading directly on tribe land? Or without being seen by their gaurds?
These tribes might not be able to cover all the scrap because of buffer space. They will try and maximize their scrap coverage and a bunch of scrap will be left outside of their border. Add bufferzone, and we'll temporarily have access to some scrap. This will end when tribes get organized and gaurd scrap surrounding them i imagine.
Of course there will be a binch of nice tribes who won't kos, so somehow there will be some good in this for us lowly solo dudes i'm sure.

Asmodeous
03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
I note things going on here a lot. Who says you need trash piles to scavenge? You can scavenge in the grass, it just takes a little longer.

Dirt
03-06-2011, 11:08 AM
note this: a LOT longer. Like, "lets go play Pong" longer.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
It's the same crap from the tribe members. Hey, if you don't like it, just move!

Hey, it won't happen (in a pvp game with scarce resources, right...sure it won't...you might be fooling yourselves with that line of crap, you aren't fooling me).

But what really dismays me is the lack of solo players standing up for yourselves. Guess we're so used to walking that even a seat in the back of the bus is fine with most of you. So go on, roll over and let the big dogs have everything their way. Then regret it later.

Most of you disgust me and deserve exactly the crap gameplay you're going to get from this, unable to defend yourselves, with no recourse to any justice, because you kept your idiot mouths shut when it mattered.

Dirt
03-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Me and ifireallymust will create a fierce homestead. Oh yah, and my wife will fight beside us. Us three will lay a whoopin on all tribe leaders. We will kill all of you, yep. Be afraid and lock up yer daughters. Unless your friendly, then we will spare you i suppose, maybe. Oh yah! You will be placing your totems days before us, right, well we cant kill you lucky bastards then can we? Cuz you'll see us coming, all two of us because my wife stayed home to craft doilies, and you will cower on your huge safe land. But we will wait outside your boundary until you muster the courage to send out your horde and then me and ifireallymust will pkill you all with our foragersshears. Be afraid.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Me and ifireallymust will create a fierce homestead. Oh yah, and my wife will fight beside us. Us three will lay a whoopin on all tribe leaders. We will kill all of you, yep. Be afraid and lock up yer daughters. Unless your friendly, then we will spare you i suppose, maybe. Oh yah! You will be placing your totems days before us, right, well we cant kill you lucky bastards then can we? Cuz you'll see us coming, all two of us because my wife stayed home to craft doilies, and you will cower on your huge safe land. But we will wait outside your boundary until you muster the courage to send out your horde and then me and ifireallymust will pkill you all with our foragersshears. Be afraid.

It's not as hard as you make it out to be. Hide. Creep up. Kill bare handed. But to defend a solo play style, of course I have to actually be able to play solo. So I'll just be over here by the lake, crafting on a junk pile until I feel like moving, and bloody well taking my time about it, too, awake for as many days as it takes to keep the tribal parasites from making off with the junk until I've got it all gathered up in baskets. Which of course is just going to piss me off even more. I hate losing sleep, and nothing about my first few days and probably weeks in this game will be fun now. But it will be worth it to spit in the pixelated faces of you whining, easymode big tribes.

Asmodeous
03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
@ Dirt: Yes, but if you're a homesteader it's not that big a deal, you only need enough stuff for 1-3 people. If you're a tribesman, then it's a whole different story because you need enough supplies for dozens of people.

@ifireallymust: You don't catch on quick. Morgan and I are two people that share a homestead. We even said that. It's about the diplomacy part. You can gain access to the scrap piles if you feel like you overwhelmingly need them (though tagging scavenging as one of your starter skills when you're by yourself really does negate that need pretty well) by being nice and trying to be diplomatic. I know, I know. That sounds like work. . .

Morgan
03-06-2011, 11:54 AM
ifireallymust,

you know, your name says it all. Rather than choosing paths of least resistance, you seem hell bent on having it your perfect way of 0% risk for 100% reward. If you can't have that, then clearly the developers need to intervene because their game is broken.

Rather than pouting I invite you to read my opening post and debate the points intelligently.

I also invite you to stay on topic and talk about your issues with being fenced in, rather than throwing a temper tantrum.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 11:55 AM
@ Dirt: Yes, but if you're a homesteader it's not that big a deal, you only need enough stuff for 1-3 people. If you're a tribesman, then it's a whole different story because you need enough supplies for dozens of people.

@ifireallymust: You don't catch on quick. Morgan and I are two people that share a homestead. We even said that. It's about the diplomacy part. You can gain access to the scrap piles if you feel like you overwhelmingly need them (though tagging scavenging as one of your starter skills when you're by yourself really does negate that need pretty well) by being nice and trying to be diplomatic. I know, I know. That sounds like work. . .

No, it sounds like being a second class citizen.

Yes, it's just a game. No, no one will die from injustice here. Not really. And even though it is pvp and there are a lot of jerks in the population, just as in every pvp game, I'm sure I could ask for what I need and eventually get it.

But the same way everyone was passionate about pvp rulesets and one server vs seperate servers, that's how I feel about the right to play solo without having to go whining like a little puppy dog to some tribe every time I need something.

I understand if you don't get it, and like I said, right now, I'm mostly pissed at my fellow solo players, who seem to be nowhere around right now, when it matters. I do have contempt for the tribes who cried to stay on one server and at the same time cried to have the best access to all the resources, though. It's easymode crap again, just like I've learned to expect from groups of players in every game.

But whatever, I give up. I might even just get a refund. This won't be any fun for me now. I can't defend land because a tribe's fighters can just drop a totem near me and theyll be right up against whatever walls I build, so there's no point in building. I can't even count in being able to get in and out of my little homestead freely. And every game is like this. Players and devs treat solo players terribly, and I'm really sick of it.

Asmodeous
03-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I think more what it is is that we, your fellow solo players, don't feel a sense of entitlement about resources. We picked to play solo because it's more challenging, we don't expect to have things handed to us. Neither should you.

If you do, maybe being a solo player on a game where you compete for resources isn't for you. Maybe Hello Kitty is more your style?

Morgan
03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
To restate something form my first post here, I can see why you'd be concerned about a larger tribe walling you in. I would do the same.

mrcalhou
03-06-2011, 12:23 PM
If you want something, then work for it.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 12:53 PM
If you want something, then work for it.

So that someone can fence me out of it?

Ha ha. Yeah, that would be intelligent. Anyway, you little would-be griefers might not be allowed to get away with this so easily. I'm waiting to find out.

mrcalhou
03-06-2011, 01:02 PM
So that someone can fence me out of it?

Ha ha. Yeah, that would be intelligent. Anyway, you little would-be griefers might not be allowed to get away with this so easily. I'm waiting to find out.

Well, no. I don't think Homesteads should be fenced in either. But this thread has long since derailed from that.

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Anywhere that's currently not crowded mostly also contains griefer tribe types.. Kind of makes it hard to find a safe place to settle heh.. But there are a few places here and there that might work out, depending on how you negotiate with the locals

Dirt
03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
We will kill all the tribes, repeatedly and alot. me and ifireallymust are both grizzled vets of pvp. i havent actually ever killed anyone but i will. As soon as i find out how to kill someone i am going to do it. Yes and many times, repeatedly and alot. So please be afraid, all of you. Your fences on your scrapheaps we will climb because my wife is crafting some frigging vine/rope stuff which she made out of 14 baskets of useful flowers. We're gonna climb over your fences and scavenge your 3 nails and 4 spikes and 1 large metal sheets over and over again and repeatedly until we can craft some pliers. Then were going to trade you for a saw. Then we will repeatedly kill you. So just watch out.

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM
We will kill all the tribes, repeatedly and alot. me and ifireallymust are both grizzled vets of pvp. i havent actually ever killed anyone but i will. As soon as i find out how to kill someone i am going to do it. Yes and many times, repeatedly and alot. So please be afraid, all of you. Your fences on your scrapheaps we will climb because my wife is crafting some frigging vine/rope stuff which she made out of 14 baskets of useful flowers. We're gonna climb over your fences and scavenge your 3 nails and 4 spikes and 1 large metal sheets over and over again and repeatedly until we can craft some pliers. Then were going to trade you for a saw. Then we will repeatedly kill you. So just watch out.

You're funny. But you're supposed to tell them to eat in fear, message us when they get back.

On a side note: I knew those damn flowers were good for something!

Side note #2: I start out as woodcutter, I'm not trading any old saw to any old entitlement tribe. I don't want to dirty my blood drenched hands with their merchandise.

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM

That's the spirit!

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
I admit, I'm not much for killing other people in games. I would log in and go practice right now, but I'm reinstalling the client in hopes of being able to cross zone boundaries in search of prey.

As soon as I'm able to chase you down without having to relog, rest assured, I'm coming for you all.

mrcalhou
03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I admit, I'm not much for killing other people in games. I would log in and go practice right now, but I'm reinstalling the client in hopes of being able to cross zone boundaries in search of prey.

As soon as I'm able to chase you down without having to relog, rest assured, I'm coming for you all.

That's the spirit!

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:14 PM
You do that. I live far enough away from anyone that nothing that you're whining about will actually affect me. So it's no skin off my back, really. The closest homestead, much less tribe, was about a 15 minute run away from us.

By the way, do you need a tissue?

Heh you say that now, but many of the homesteaders around the lake might find themselves out of luck as big tribes take up the space.. So I'd expect an outward immigration come launch.. Not to mention new players at that point will want places, new tribes, new homesteads.. expect neibhors pretty soon at your hidden secret junk spots heh.. There's not that many places left already.. Wouldn't have been an issue with a 2 server thing but oh well

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 01:28 PM
You do that. I live far enough away from anyone that nothing that you're whining about will actually affect me. So it's no skin off my back, really. The closest homestead, much less tribe, was about a 15 minute run away from us.

By the way, do you need a tissue?

I need your pixelated blood all over my pixelated axe.

Download time remaining: approximately 6 hours.

Will you be on later this evening?

river111
03-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Enjoy your unviable solo play while you suck up to the tribes and devs.

I'll get a refund and spend my $40 in hopes that next time, I get what I paid for.

I find this comment here to be the best inidcator of the differences in people and how they play a game. As a soloer, on a homestead, on the lake, you want to know the extend of 'suckin up' I have had to do to befreind the large tribes around me?

I walked over to their tribal land once, sat down and BSed with them for maybe 20 minutes. Thats it right there. We talked about what they do, what they believe in. I mentioned how I live and that I might be looking for trade later on. Offered to make things to order if they had a need. Then I said good day and went back to my business. They talk to me all the time now, all because I made an effort to be social with them once.

I'm sure most people on this game who are planning on going solo who are telling you to just stop this already are wondering like me, why you can't even do that one simple thing. Because it really does come down to just that right there. Either you as a player are willing to try and work with your neighbors or your not. And if your not, then you better be willing to take on the consiquences of thatchoice your making.

By the looks of your comments here however, it would appear you neither want to make the effort to work with your neighbors nor do you wish to accept what you get if you do not try.

The truth is though, that the only appearant solution to your problem, and yes it is solely your problem by your own choices, the solution is for you to find a game that better suits your NEEDS. Xsyon is not a handout game, sorry.

shukes
03-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I have just read through this whole thread ...phew!

No matter whether we agree with him or not, hes not arguing about how he plays the game, or how he could compromise etc.....

Hes just stating that the game mechanics are unfair to the solo player! can someone show me a quote where it says " Xyson is not for solo players " or anything along them lines? if you can then,...ye hes wrong.

If you can't however then we all have to admit he is right! in most games there is a " stuck " command for when you get trapped in/out of something. It's not considered a gameplay feature but a bug fix feature.........is being stuck a gameplay feature in Xyson?

I am considering leaving my tribe and starting solo myself now as it seems the more difficult way to go.....it seems there is way too much easy mode being handed on a plate for Tribes.

Asmodeous
03-07-2011, 07:45 AM
Hes just stating that the game mechanics are unfair to the solo player! can someone show me a quote where it says " Xyson is not for solo players " or anything along them lines? if you can then,...ye hes wrong.

Uhm. The thing about it is that the people aren't saying he's wrong. The people are saying that given the nature of the game (i.e. MULTIplayer) solo players and small groups are going to have more difficulty. It's an inevitability. The real world isn't any different. One person can get out there and survive and thrive, but ten people working together are going to have a much easier time.

Strength in Numbers and whatnot.

People who make the decision to go solo should be bright enough (I would hope?) to recognize that no matter what the devs do with the mechanics the cards are going to be heavily stacked against the solo players. This doesn't make them less viable as a time. It's just reality that more people are better at things than one.

Baldur
03-07-2011, 07:53 AM
As a solo player, I've been having a blast. More than self sufficient with crafting + loot to supplement, nobody ever comes to my little cave where I have an unhealthy amount of pants stored. I don't have my own personal junk pile in my safezone, but that's the way it should be anyways. I assume that the devs are planning on rolling back the mist as soon as they can, so really, what's the deeeeeeeeeeal?

mindtrigger
03-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Don't bother talking to this guy, it's like talking to a rock. 90% of what he has said is pure unfounded speculation at this point. Besides, if you read his posts, what he really wants is the whole game changed to accommodate his particular version of solo play style, rather than trying to play solo within the scope of the existing game. There are other people who are playing solo and they are doing just fine. Solo play will be more challenging here just as living alone would be in a real survival situation. He says he "relishes" this, but all he does is complain about it.

tredo
03-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Ok so we all agree it is harder for a single player to build a wall then it is for 10 players working together to build a wall. So why not make it where everyone is equal? Why make it where the tribes can come in and more or less take over a homestead if they so choose? Can a homestead go onto tribal land and set down a totem on a preexisting tribal plot? Can a tribe encompass more then one homestead? Can more then one homestead go in and place totems on already claimed tribal land? If one man is dumb enough to go out in the middle of a 300m across open, flat field with water and junk nearby... knowing that is a prime location for a larger tribe and does it just to be a pain in the (&!@ deserves to have his land encompassed by a larger tribe. However, I really don't think you will see this kind of behavior out of solo players. What I do think you will see is tribes or clans finding that sweet spot that a solo player has found that is medium sized, within prime area, and try and squeeze their group into a less then optimal location in order to run out or grief a solo player just to be @(^&#! This is what will cause the most chaos on the server when it happens.

Morgan
03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Funny that Baldur, I don't have a trash pile near my homestead either.

We have water, and a few trees. Mainly this is due to it being nearly impossible to find a location that doesn't have water or trees.

it's a good 10-15 min walk to the nearest junk pile, and even then I've had no problems scavenging it if I wanted to. Most of the time I just work on my scavenging skill, which doesn't need a junk pile. Every time I forage for food, I scavenge too.. by the time they remove junk piles, my character should easily find what he needs for crafting.

ifireallymust
03-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Sorry I've been rude, but I'm incredibly frustrated, because I can't for some reason communicate 2 things clearly:

1. I intend to solo. I want to solo. I do not want to join a tribe and may never want to join a tribe, and if I had to join a tribe to play I would go read a book instead. But I do not have a problem with interacting with other people in this or any other game, and that includes to trade, share information, and pvp (however, if you sneak up on me and attempt a pvp interaction, I might reply by taking to my heels, depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm carrying).

2. I do not care that soloing is more difficult than all other styles of play. I like it that way. But I do not, in this or any other game (especially a full loot pvp game with scarcity issues on the way), wish to be dependent on the good will and kindness of internet strangers simply to be able to do basic things in the game such as gather and craft, or enter and leave my homestead. It makes no sense to me why any game would require solo players to put themselves in that precarious and unpleasant position. Or why other players, soloer or otherwise, would think this was a good idea.

Asmodeous
03-07-2011, 12:16 PM
The thing is, man, we understand what you're saying. We just don't see it as the crisis you seem to see it as. Will it become a problem? Possibly, but there's griefers in every game and you have to learn to deal with them, whether it sucks or not. I don't really see there being anything stopping me from gathering and/or crafting based on what's going on. I don't really use junk piles much since there's only me and one other guy I'm making tools for. I don't really need a lot of stuff, and most of what I need can be acquired by using salvage in the grass or woods. The junk piles primarily favor the tribes anyway, because they're the ones that need large amounts of stuff.

Sure, I may only find the nails I need once in a while, but I find dozens of them when I do, instead of just one or two. Once your salvage skill gets up a ways, you find a pretty ridiculous amount of stuff.

Besides, think about it this way: The Junk Piles are primarily temporary. They're eventually going to be spent and not recharge according to everything that's been said, likely post-prelude though. So not tying yourself to them will actually be advantageous, because you'll raise that scavenging skill as compared to just getting mountains of stuff off the pile, which will get you better stuff in greater quantities more often.

It's about term. Short term advantage == being in a flat place next to a junk pile. Long term advantage == being in the middle of nowhere where people won't find you, but you'll have to do some extra terraforming and learn to scavenge. It'll help a lot more in the long run.

Plus if you take some time to really look around there's junk piles hidden all over the place that people never go to, and there will be more in the future as the mists part almost assuredly.

I think it's a mountain out of a molehill situation which is why you're not getting the response you're expecting. You see this insurmountable mountain, we see a tiny little anthill. It's really not that big of a deal.

Besides, the wall thing doesn't seem as bad as you're making it out to be. Has it even happened yet? Did you just give people the idea? Do you realize how long it takes to build some of those walls? You'll have a lot of time, plus they have to have a really big tribe to get there, since they can't build on top of a homestead that's already there, the judgement seems to be halfway to max radius. That's... a lot of people and most griefers will find better and easier ways to grief people. Like following you around and killing you over and over and over. They just want to make someone's day miserable, they don't want to have to work at it.

Rudder
03-07-2011, 01:37 PM
A simple solution to a wall would be terraform all of your land to a giant hole and destroy the dirt. Then leave the area.

ifireallymust
03-07-2011, 02:27 PM
The thing is, man, we understand what you're saying. We just don't see it as the crisis you seem to see it as. Will it become a problem? Possibly, but there's griefers in every game and you have to learn to deal with them, whether it sucks or not. I don't really see there being anything stopping me from gathering and/or crafting based on what's going on. I don't really use junk piles much since there's only me and one other guy I'm making tools for. I don't really need a lot of stuff, and most of what I need can be acquired by using salvage in the grass or woods. The junk piles primarily favor the tribes anyway, because they're the ones that need large amounts of stuff.

I craft, and I craft often, so I do use junk piles.

Sure, I may only find the nails I need once in a while, but I find dozens of them when I do, instead of just one or two. Once your salvage skill gets up a ways, you find a pretty ridiculous amount of stuff.

Besides, think about it this way: The Junk Piles are primarily temporary. They're eventually going to be spent and not recharge according to everything that's been said, likely post-prelude though. So not tying yourself to them will actually be advantageous, because you'll raise that scavenging skill as compared to just getting mountains of stuff off the pile, which will get you better stuff in greater quantities more often.

I never intended to stay around junk piles forever, and in fact never wanted to. I don't even like the mechanic, or living on top of one. And I will get my scavenging up as quickly as possible. But at first, not being near a junkpile is a huge disadvantage, unless I want to reroll and stash tools after launch (I don't) or club people over the head and take their stuff (not my favorite way to go, but hey, if this game really needs one more damn PKer roaming around, I guess I'll fill the position). I see a lot of tribes not far from each other, with junk piles on the land between them. I assume they share. I do not assume they will share with me and every other solo player who happens to live nearby. That wouldn't be very smart of them, would it?

It's about term. Short term advantage == being in a flat place next to a junk pile. Long term advantage == being in the middle of nowhere where people won't find you, but you'll have to do some extra terraforming and learn to scavenge. It'll help a lot more in the long run.

Plus if you take some time to really look around there's junk piles hidden all over the place that people never go to, and there will be more in the future as the mists part almost assuredly.

I've been all over the map, including deep into the green, there are no places people haven't gone. I find totems everywhere. Actually, a lot of them seem to have been taken down over the past few days, but that doesn't mean the people who put them up last week won't be standing on that spot after the wipe.

And it's great that the mists will open up soon, but I don't intend to sit around and do nothing in the game until they do, plus, those could be bad places for solo players to jump into, as there may be no safe areas.

And if the tribes don't fence every pile they can, I'll be really surprised, given the predictions I'm reading in other threads about just how long that junk is going to last. Which is not very.

I think it's a mountain out of a molehill situation which is why you're not getting the response you're expecting. You see this insurmountable mountain, we see a tiny little anthill. It's really not that big of a deal.

Besides, the wall thing doesn't seem as bad as you're making it out to be. Has it even happened yet? Did you just give people the idea? Do you realize how long it takes to build some of those walls? You'll have a lot of time, plus they have to have a really big tribe to get there, since they can't build on top of a homestead that's already there, the judgement seems to be halfway to max radius. That's... a lot of people and most griefers will find better and easier ways to grief people. Like following you around and killing you over and over and over. They just want to make someone's day miserable, they don't want to have to work at it.

It's hard to terraform a molehill once it becomes a mountain, and as for griefers, no one has to give them any ideas, they think up ways to grief people faster than I ever could. As for the time it takes to fence in a homestead, I could probably do it by myself in less than a day with just dirt and water.

But Rudder has a good idea, and it's exactly what I would do if I got fenced.

Morgan
03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
last time I checked you can't destroy the dirt out of your inventory, you get an error message.

Did you change your mind about quiting the game ifireallymust?

ifireallymust
03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
last time I checked you can't destroy the dirt out of your inventory, you get an error message.

Did you change your mind about quiting the game ifireallymust?

I was told when I asked for a refund that tribes wouldn't be allowed to grief players by completely imprisoning them in fencing. So I'm still here. And that's the only reason I'm still here.

Morgan
03-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome, so this thread is closed case then. Now if only a mod would lock it :)

Dirt
03-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Then we will craft some paintbrushes and paint all your tribal wall pink. Be very aware.
You will rename your tribes ....... The Big Pink Walled Weiners. Am i right? I think so.

river111
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
A simple solution to a wall would be terraform all of your land to a giant hole and destroy the dirt. Then leave the area.

^^ I like the way you think. You can bet your sweet ass if someone does take the time to fence me in, before I leave them my land it will look like it got hit by a meteor.

ifireallymust
03-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Then we will craft some paintbrushes and paint all your tribal wall pink. Be very aware.
You will rename your tribes ....... The Big Pink Walled Weiners. Am i right? I think so.

If only that were possible. Can I change my rant? I don't want to be safe from being fenced in. But I do want proper retribution if someone is fool enough to do it, as per Dirt's suggestion! :D

Oh come on, please? It would only have to happen once, to one tribe, and then no one would ever try imprisoning a homesteader again!

blackzilla
03-08-2011, 02:59 AM
Just use logic here people, if someone or some tribe fences you in I can guarantee that the guides or GM's will remove it. If someone does that it is a form of griefing says right in the ToS. Just saying.

If anyone wants to test this just message me after the 15th I Will let you fence me in on a junkpile, then we will see how fast it gets taken down...

Bet ya 100 dollars im right...

Bear5732
03-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Fencing someone in would be a pointless waste of time and materials, especially when a guide will just remove it.

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
But I didn't know for sure a guide would remove it when I made the OP, did I? After all, a tribe could (with some justification) point out that it's not griefing or an exploit, it's an allowable game mechanic and that this piece of fencing protects tribal property and that the homesteader's inability to go in or out is incidental and therefore...I'm being logical instead of reasonable again, aren't I?

Anyway, go on, fence me in, someone, I'll just summon a guide in hopes that the one who turns up to turn me loose hands me a paintbrush and a few cans of dayglo paint.

mrcalhou
03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
If someone fences me in then I should be able to destroy the fence, dig under it, or build up over it. None of that is allowed with the current game mechanics. It's rather sad.

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 04:07 PM
If someone fences me in then I should be able to destroy the fence, dig under it, or build up over it. None of that is allowed with the current game mechanics. It's rather sad.

I'm hoping when siege mechanics and such are introduced later, we'll be able to do those things in some areas, though. Which will be tons of fun. Even more fun will be figuring out how to stop someone from doing those things.

mrcalhou
03-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah, but I don't think that anyone should have to count on a GM or something at any point for normal gameplay things. I also think that you shouldn't be able to use /unstuck and keep your stuff. If you are in a tribe and you get fenced in or fall down a hole, then you should get your tribemates to help you get out with ladders or something. If you are alone and noone would be able to come help you then you should be able to /suicide which will bring you back to your totem or spawn point (starting area) but leaves your corpse and items behind. I see no reason what-so-ever why players couldn't use fences and pit-traps as legitimate strategic options. The devs just need to make it balanced for everyone involved; not just one party. If I build a trap and someone falls in, well I should get their stuff if they can't find another way out. Because it's not impossible for them to avoid it if they are aware of their current situation.

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Yeah, but I don't think that anyone should have to count on a GM or something at any point for normal gameplay things. I also think that you shouldn't be able to use /unstuck and keep your stuff. If you are in a tribe and you get fenced in or fall down a hole, then you should get your tribemates to help you get out with ladders or something. If you are alone and noone would be able to come help you then you should be able to /suicide which will bring you back to your totem or spawn point (starting area) but leaves your corpse and items behind. I see no reason what-so-ever why players couldn't use fences and pit-traps as legitimate strategic options. The devs just need to make it balanced for everyone involved; not just one party. If I build a trap and someone falls in, well I should get their stuff if they can't find another way out. Because it's not impossible for them to avoid it if they are aware of their current situation.

I hope in the future, in areas without safe zones around settlements, that we can all have fun with pit traps and rope ladders and maybe even ransoms, plus crazy siege engines and tunneling under structures. But for right now, even if I called 100 friends to my side, they still couldn't get me over a chin-high dirt 'fence'.

Nineth_Gate
03-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Hey I've only been here for about a week. And this is my first post...

First off i am a solo'r and in the week and a half i've played i didn't have any arguments with the game as it is. Though it is understandable fencing will cause some problems but there are ways around this. I joined up with Apache there a decent tribe and helpful so the first thought that comes to mind. If your worried about getting fenced in but want to stay solo plot next to a tribe that's neutral/good and wont mind having a single person next to them. a single person in that since poses no real threat. A big part of this game is going to have the ability to communicate with neighbors. where all going to be crammed together til they expand our area. Personally i'm sure when we open to place totems a good portion of tribes will try for there old stomping grounds So i'll just move more towards the mist. Remember life's a pain in the ass and this is a survival mmo lol someone's going to have to get over something if the game is changed to suit everyone no one will enjoy it. I probably wont log in for the totem drop as it'll just be a hassle i have no problem picking up the left overs i can't complain because i'm going it alone and i'm perfectly fine with that. It isn't going to cramp my style any. Though i wont be joining any tribes i doubt i wont have neighbors to trade with. But being a solo kinda guy doesn't make me a "carebear" i'll bury any would be ganker or what have you facing west and face down. Not all of us solers are complaing...

ifireallymust
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
Hey I've only been here for about a week. And this is my first post...

First off i am a solo'r and in the week and a half i've played i didn't have any arguments with the game as it is. Though it is understandable fencing will cause some problems but there are ways around this. I joined up with Apache there a decent tribe and helpful so the first thought that comes to mind. If your worried about getting fenced in but want to stay solo plot next to a tribe that's neutral/good and wont mind having a single person next to them. a single person in that since poses no real threat. A big part of this game is going to have the ability to communicate with neighbors. where all going to be crammed together til they expand our area. Personally i'm sure when we open to place totems a good portion of tribes will try for there old stomping grounds So i'll just move more towards the mist. Remember life's a pain in the ass and this is a survival mmo lol someone's going to have to get over something if the game is changed to suit everyone no one will enjoy it. I probably wont log in for the totem drop as it'll just be a hassle i have no problem picking up the left overs i can't complain because i'm going it alone and i'm perfectly fine with that. It isn't going to cramp my style any. Though i wont be joining any tribes i doubt i wont have neighbors to trade with. But being a solo kinda guy doesn't make me a "carebear" i'll bury any would be ganker or what have you facing west and face down. Not all of us solers are complaing...

You wouldn't get the chance to bury anyone if someone really were allowed to put a fence around you, although I suppose you could RP a dog and run around your little pen, barking at people. In any case, it's no longer a concern. Tribes won't be allowed to grief homesteaders this way.

But why does 'facing west and face down' sound familiar? I'm guessing it's a tribal superstition involving preventing the ghost of someone you've killed from haunting you, but I can't remember for sure where I heard it. Hm, for some reason it's also bringing up a rather negative association for me. Must've heard it from a particularly awful ex of mine. (May he find no peace or happiness in this life or any other.) Not that I believe in ghosts, curses, or an after life, but whatever.

Nineth_Gate
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
It's a kind of insult used by the native Americans during a burial serimony. It's actual two insults in one. If you know all people buried in the u.s. are always buried feet to the east or facing east it's a good omen of a kind it means your soul will live to see the light of another day simply put. Moreover facing west is bad as your soul is dammed to never see the light of another day... Being buried face down was used by the native American on those who commented especially haness crimes. The meaning in this practice is facing up you looking in the heavens facing down your soul is dammed to stare into the depths of hell for all eternity. The only movie i know of is the original ammityville horror. Wich is based on actual events of the sort that there is actualy a single native American buried on the land who was buried face down by his tribe... similar to the south American ritual of sansa (i've probably spelled it wrong, and also has nothing to do with the Japanese ritual which i believe has similar pronunciation lol) or more commonly know as head shrinking which was very rarely ever used in real life. Also if you do the research most of the heads in any museum are either faked or illegal obtained later on the tribesman who performed such rituals where killed by there families and had the act performed on them.

But more importantly I wouldn't put my self in a situation where there was a need for someone to fence my homestead i'm not here to screw others over just enjoy the game so i wouldn't stead a jp anyways seems pointless to me in the long run...

ifireallymust
03-09-2011, 07:30 PM
It's a kind of insult used by the native Americans during a burial serimony. It's actual two insults in one. If you know all people buried in the u.s. are always buried feet to the east or facing east it's a good omen of a kind it means your soul will live to see the light of another day simply put. Moreover facing west is bad as your soul is dammed to never see the light of another day... Being buried face down was used by the native American on those who commented especially haness crimes. The meaning in this practice is facing up you looking in the heavens facing down your soul is dammed to stare into the depths of hell for all eternity. The only movie i know of is the original ammityville horror. Wich is based on actual events of the sort that there is actualy a single native American buried on the land who was buried face down by his tribe... similar to the south American ritual of sansa (i've probably spelled it wrong, and also has nothing to do with the Japanese ritual which i believe has similar pronunciation lol) or more commonly know as head shrinking which was very rarely ever used in real life. Also if you do the research most of the heads in any museum are either faked or illegal obtained later on the tribesman who performed such rituals where killed by there families and had the act performed on them.

But more importantly I wouldn't put my self in a situation where there was a need for someone to fence my homestead i'm not here to screw others over just enjoy the game so i wouldn't stead a jp anyways seems pointless to me in the long run...

Ah, ty. The guy was such a liar he likely picked up that little tidbit from a movie, although he was Native American, I doubt he ever gave much of a real damn about his own culture or actually knew much about it, he was too busy running around acting like an idiot, telling lies, and ruining lives.

Guess going the cremation route sidesteps that whole issue (note to self on final wishes, just in case ;) ).

As for putting yourself in the situation where someone would feel a need to fence you...while most of this community is surprisingly good, shockingly good in fact, for an mmo with a heavy pvp element, you do realize there are plenty of people who don't need a reason to grief someone, right?