PDA

View Full Version : Xsyon: Launch Clarification Please

Dubanka
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I just realized that in the 'launch' thread there is the assumption as to the rule set we will be starting in.

After reading the march 4th and 5th updates a couple times:
- I saw the justification for the server split
- I saw the start-up rule set difference for War & Peace
- I saw the justification and rationale for back tracking on the server split.
- I did not see a revised explanation for how start-up would go.

The presumption is that start-up will be along the lines of the 'Peace' server explanation.

Is this correct?

Is there addtional start-up tweaking that will occur now that it's a recombinant land rush again?

Explanation would be wonderful to stop the drama...or at least direct the drama in the correct direction. Debate is great, but it helps to be debating facts and not supposition.

thanks.

Jasdemi
03-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes.

Dubanka
03-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes.

Thanks. do you have more information than the rest of us?

please post.

baka77
03-06-2011, 09:23 AM
/signed

My thread was certainly presumptuous that there have been no changes since Jordi's last comments on this issue. However, a clarification from him would be super.

Virtus
03-06-2011, 10:08 AM
the staged rush is still the plan.

baka77
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
the staged rush is still the plan.

I just sent you a PM response, as well.

Will combat still be disabled for the first two stages?

Virtus
03-06-2011, 10:26 AM
yes, it will be exactly the same

Dubanka
03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
thanks for the definitive response.

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Virtus: One question.. or rather a concern that occurred to me.. Will you also disable mobs while combat is disabled? Since we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves heh

kleetus
03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
time to work on your running skill. or the get out of the bear belly skill

jokhul
03-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Virtus: One question.. or rather a concern that occurred to me.. Will you also disable mobs while combat is disabled? Since we wouldn't be able to defend ourselves heh

Most probably everything non-essential will be turned off to reduce the impact of lag. Without combat there's no hunting, so why even have animals spawned ?

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Most probably everything non-essential will be turned off to reduce the impact of lag. Without combat there's no hunting, so why even have animals spawned ?

Heh well alternatively he could force pvp-invuln on everyone and leave the combat turned on, and let the wildlife be free, I guess

Dsk954
03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
since when are they disabling combat? this is NEW and hasnt been communicated to ME.

On March 5 Jordi said nothing about combat going poof.

Dubanka
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
reread the peace server launch details.

it's now all one big peace server.

so we will be launching under those conditions.

randomt
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
since when are they disabling combat? this is NEW and hasnt been communicated to ME.

On March 5 Jordi said nothing about combat going poof.

On the first page of this thread Virtus confirms he is following the "peace server" plan layed out here:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/1440-Xsyon-Updates

3) The final wipe and land rush will proceed in a controlled manner.

On the day of the final wipe, players will be able to enter the game and form their tribe charters, but not claim any land. This will allow tribes to form their groups and find their locations and then log on.

On the second day, players will be able to claim land, but terraforming will be turned off and combat will not be allowed on the Peace server. This will allow players to claim their lands without entire tribes being online, and once totems are placed, players can log off to reduce stress on the servers.

On the third day, everything will be turned on as normal and game play can begin.

ColonelTEE3
03-06-2011, 01:56 PM
On the first page of this thread Virtus confirms he is following the "peace server" plan layed out here:

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/1440-Xsyon-Updates

3) The final wipe and land rush will proceed in a controlled manner.

On the day of the final wipe, players will be able to enter the game and form their tribe charters, but not claim any land. This will allow tribes to form their groups and find their locations and then log on.

On the second day, players will be able to claim land, but terraforming will be turned off and combat will not be allowed on the Peace server. This will allow players to claim their lands without entire tribes being online, and once totems are placed, players can log off to reduce stress on the servers.

On the third day, everything will be turned on as normal and game play can begin.

Woah, wait. I didn't read the update as you did, apparently. So the final decision was to make one "peace" server, rather than a peace and war server? I thought it was going to be a compromise of two servers. It didn't really strike me that we'd all just be put in the peace server.

Dirt
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Woot its finally launch! Now stop, you cant play for three days. BUMMER!
edit, i guess its only 2 days.

Aethaeryn
03-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Woah, wait. I didn't read the update as you did, apparently. So the final decision was to make one "peace" server, rather than a peace and war server? I thought it was going to be a compromise of two servers. It didn't really strike me that we'd all just be put in the peace server.

The Peace server is the original server. I assumed when they decided on one they wen't back to the original plan.

Xx1327
03-06-2011, 03:53 PM
The Peace server is the original server. I assumed when they decided on one they wen't back to the original plan.

no, the first launch attempt was the original. this is completely different than before.
now instead we're forced to do what the vocal minority, aka "care bears", wants and beginning to limiting competitive game play.

BigCountry
03-06-2011, 04:19 PM
By turning things off (delaying the main features in your game) it does not fix anything. It just delays the problem.

Am I missing something here?

ifireallymust
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
By turning things off (delaying the main features in your game) it does not fix anything. It just delays the problem.

Two things it could help with:

1. Absolutely everyone who can logged in at the same time (probably not typical in any MMO).

2. I tried to place a totem no one was around I lagged and crashed and then someone else got it and I want my spot!

But I still would have been happier with two servers, myself. Alas, we seem to be seriously in the minority.

Ziggy
03-06-2011, 04:45 PM

If you can delay the problem until after the thing causing the problem has subsided then its a good idea.

Aethaeryn
03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
no, the first launch attempt was the original. this is completely different than before.
now instead we're forced to do what the vocal minority, aka "care bears", want and beginning limiting competitive game play.

Ah I see what you are saying. I suppose that is the case. Except that I would disagree that it has anything to do with anyones arguments. I think he is trying to minimize server load and spread the entire thing out over 2 days. I also think it was people crying about homesteaders keeping them from placing tribes. . not carebears. In fact Jordi stated specifically that it had nothing to do with any arguments by players. Anyway, after the first 2 days it is the same as before. . that is what I meant by it being basically the peace server.

I can see why you might be upset though. But honestly . . would you have time to kill someone before they could place a totem?

orious13
03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
now instead we're forced to do what the vocal minority, aka "care bears", want and beginning limiting competitive game play.

I'm pretty sure it won't technically be a "peace" server anymore. It just won't be a war server. I only say this because the game will still evolve with the community and now the game is said to evolve with both "peace" types and "war" types instead of just "peace" or just "war".

Aethaeryn
03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it won't technically be a "peace" server anymore. It just won't be a war server. I only say this because the game will still evolve with the community and now the game is said to evolve with both "peace" types and "war" types instead of just "peace" or just "war".

I am guessing that with prelude scheduled for 6-9 months even the crafting tribes will be looking for at least the option of declaring war sooner than that timeline.

orious13
03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
I am guessing that with prelude scheduled for 6-9 months even the crafting tribes will be looking for at least the option of declaring war sooner than that timeline.

Yeah... my opinion is that 6-9 months is the devs saying "let us have time to code/test/test/test awesomeness, please...". There's a lot that can happen within that time frame.

Saolite
03-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Even a crafting tribe can be rather ingenious, and create their own demand for their goods. A few well-placed raids / wars, and a demand for something like, say, obsidian or Master Craft objects can sky rocket.

Also, it's almost ironic, but a lot of "carebears" make GREAT PvPers -- they simply don't enjoy PvPing, hence the play style of choice.

PS; I hate the term "carebear". You see one of those fluffy bears cornered? They go all Bear God of the Green Mists on you. Especially when their crafting is on the line.

Xx1327
03-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Ah I see what you are saying. I suppose that is the case. Except that I would disagree that it has anything to do with anyones arguments. I think he is trying to minimize server load and spread the entire thing out over 2 days. I also think it was people crying about homesteaders keeping them from placing tribes. . not carebears. In fact Jordi stated specifically that it had nothing to do with any arguments by players. Anyway, after the first 2 days it is the same as before. . that is what I meant by it being basically the peace server.

I can see why you might be upset though. But honestly . . would you have time to kill someone before they could place a totem?

I wasn't necessarily talking just about the new launch protocol but the server becoming more akin to the peace server, as opposed to what it was originally.

Sirius
03-06-2011, 08:19 PM
PS; I hate the term "carebear". You see one of those fluffy bears cornered? They go all Bear God of the Green Mists on you. Especially when their crafting is on the line.

I think 'mama grizzly' was the laughable metaphor you were looking for. :)

galagah
03-07-2011, 06:19 AM
See , the name carebears is really wrong for players in this game . Afterall there is Open World PvP , it just has safe zones so the server isn't really PvE . more PvE&P

This means players can PvP " if they choose to " . Now considering the open world PvP and the limited safe zones ( yes limited , a trribal area is a tiny tiny fraction of the actual game world ) , there are gonna be times when PvP is needed , so us " care bears " ( yes myself included ) will suddenly grow claws and make people wonder what hit them when they're back at their tribal spawn :P

Derek
03-07-2011, 09:13 AM
They are going for the Eve approach to PvP. Some of the newer zones that open will be like low sec zones or FFA PvP. This way the server stays as one world and both types of players can still interact without having to split the servers. The only issue left is providing more incentive to live in the low sec zones like more valuable resources being located there. More risk= more reward.

mgilbrtsn
03-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Run forest, RUN!! ;)

Sirius
03-07-2011, 03:44 PM
does the same apply to people using the word 'griefer' to describe players who dont think like them?

Lag/congestion problems are no longer anticipated on wipe day, as the heads of nearly 50% of the playerbase just exploded.

GuideEzekiel
03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Get the thread back on track with no flaming, or I am locking this.

Sabina
03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
You might as well lock it now as launch has been clarified

Sirius
03-07-2011, 06:51 PM
the discussion has moved in a new direction..