PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a Multiple Character Server

Toxic
03-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I heard that we have 3 characters per account, but then I heard we should only have 1 because people will have an evil character or they will get into a tribe on one character, and give information to their real tribe on another character.

My solution is this.

1. Universal Alignment. If you go evil on one character, all your characters go evil.

2. Universal Tribes. Like in Guild Wars, all your characters should belong to one tribe (only taking up one slot) and if you leave that tribe on one character, all your characters leave the tribe.

We could also have last names that go across all characters. Like if I wanted my last name to be Venni, all my characters would have that last name like Joe Venni or Kevin Venni.

These are just some ideas.

Chuteboxe39
03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
seems pretty reasonable. I prefer having a MCS, but would be too easy to exploit in this game. But with rules like these in place, it seems any 'cheating' could be prevented.

Palo god
03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
This is how I was expecting them to release multiple characters after prelude.

edaw22
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Either this or keep it to one.

Personally I think one character per server is best anyway, because else you get people spying through alts (note: Spying legit is good, spying with an alt is bad), and you get people avoiding choice and specialization by making a Crafter, a Combat character and a Gatherer etc.

However it seems that the Xsyon devs have some special plans that involve having three characters, so that being the case I agree with the suggested terms.

sisler86
03-22-2010, 06:48 AM
I agree with this. Personally on any game, I can only focus on one character at a time anyway so it doesn't really apply to me, but I understand people that get bored with one character so yeah. I'll go with this. I especially like the last name idea. That way we know who it is even if they are on an alt.

Sophist
03-22-2010, 08:20 AM
I agree with the TC. There is no reason to allow someone to fully furnish their ostracized red PK character by having a perfectly safe crafter. All it does is encourage mindless PvP instead of meaningful PvP. When you can always get on your blue crafter in town it takes away all the real danger of being a red character.

I am not in favor of universal tribes at all, simply because most of the fun player interaction to be had in Darkfall was with spying. It isn't as simple as joining another tribe and they give you all their information, but there is a lot of politics and interaction involved to get meaningful information.

Universal alignment is pretty good, and its sort of what I thought Mortal Online would have. They mentioned a shared 'daeva' between characters, which I have not seen yet. Being a red should be a meaningful choice, and if it is not meaningful the PvP will not be meaningful. If players realize that all their characters are red if one of them are red it will make their choice matter.

Rohaan
03-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I know this is my first post on these forums and I do not know how the community reponds to new members and their opinions, but I personally like the idea of a one character per server. This worked nicely in SWG where a weaponsmith could make a name for themselves and a living. Else everyone will have a weaponsmith to supply their own needs plus whatever else they need, ruins the economy. Also those that really want to spy via an alt will just buy a new account anyway. So I don't see how the last name will work. Nice to meet you guys.

Cradlejoe
03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Won't tribes just get filled with peoples stupid alts?
I hope that if there's MCS then there will be a very small offline skill decay, or just something to stop people from having "The tool for every job".

Lily
03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Have they not categorically said it's SCS to begin with, with 'some else' later?

Cradlejoe
03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Lily wrote:

Have they not categorically said it's SCS to begin with, with 'some else' later?

Yup, I hope this something else will be an alternative to MCS. Hopefully something like eves character system.

bankerandrew
02-10-2011, 07:28 PM
the way global agenda works, is any alts you have carry the same name... so you can have a crafter and a pvp alt, but both characters are actually one and the same, but do not share skills or items, but do share tribe affiliation. works very welll for that game and is balanced. every action should have consequences, and alts in a game like this could lead to disaster fast... yet at the same time, allow for people to try different aspecs of the game. Hope this happens.

Tchey
02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
Hi there,

I'm more for the only one character per account option. It was nice in SWG, and it fits well with Xsyon universe, in my opinion of course.

- "Bonus", the ones who want a second toon pay a second account and incread Notorious Game's found.
- "Malus", the ones who cannot afford more than one account will be "weaker".

Jadzia
02-11-2011, 07:04 AM
the way global agenda works, is any alts you have carry the same name... so you can have a crafter and a pvp alt, but both characters are actually one and the same, but do not share skills or items, but do share tribe affiliation. works very welll for that game and is balanced. every action should have consequences, and alts in a game like this could lead to disaster fast... yet at the same time, allow for people to try different aspecs of the game. Hope this happens.

This can be done by one character as well if its implemented properly. Like your character is a master crafter but only if he wears the proper outfit, and he can only PvP in a different armor. These armors should be heavy enough so that you wouldn't be able to carry them around in your inventory just for incase, but you would be forced to go home to change.

AlexTaldren
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
This game is designed in a way that you should never need more than one character. Aside from the exploitation of having a bunch alts, the game is skill-based, not class-based. And, because skills decrease over time, having ALTs would be stupid, as it would be almost impossible to keep them all maintained over time. The skill system allows for players to change the way they want to play at any time. If I start as a woodcrafter and then want to switch to bonecrafting... all I have to do is pick up some bones and start doing it. I don't need to roll another character who starts with bonecrafting.

I say... 1 character per server. The game design makes it so you aren't forced to play a specific way based on your initial choices.

vorg
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Having skill decay while off line is bad. It hirts people who can't play as often. THey are already at a disadvantage from lack of play time.

dolmong
02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Please I beg you Dev!! ONLY make 1 Character slot only!!

You see why SWG was so success because their straight 1 character slot makes everyone works together, plus if this game so heavily align to Good or Evil, we don't want another spy around.

That is also the reason I hate EVE Online! I made alts there to just look at a price to sell in different universe. Not realistic at all and meaningless!

Please only few days before the wipe!! And hope you take the decision to give us ONLY one character slot! Or then will totally ruin the gameplay in this game!

Thanks!

Jadzia
02-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Please I beg you Dev!! ONLY make 1 Character slot only!!

You see why SWG was so success because their straight 1 character slot makes everyone works together, plus if this game so heavily align to Good or Evil, we don't want another spy around.

That is also the reason I hate EVE Online! I made alts there to just look at a price to sell in different universe. Not realistic at all and meaningless!

Please only few days before the wipe!! And hope you take the decision to give us ONLY one character slot! Or then will totally ruin the gameplay in this game!

Thanks!

There will be only 1 character per account, they decided it a long time ago.

TheVampireSlayer
02-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I completely agree. I would really like multiple characters. It just adds so much flexibility to your game style and you could potentially be a part of multiple tribes with the same alignment, focusing on different crafts.

zettoz
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Having multiple characters ruins immersion into the world in my opinion, plus if you can do whatever you want with a single character there is no reason to want to make another one. Plus it is a great marketing situation for Xsyon for if someone messes up their reputation they need to repurchase to get a new character.

GuideXaphan
02-19-2011, 01:40 AM
Xsyon will only support one character per account. This is at least the plan going forward.

Saorlan
02-19-2011, 04:11 AM
No keep it to 1. Serious no way ever have 3 characters per server please - No Way Ever!

mgilbrtsn
02-20-2011, 11:50 AM
IMO its simple. Keep it 1 player per server. It forces ppl to make decisions, stick by them, and grow their characters with consequences with poor decisions.

tredo
02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
IMO its simple. Keep it 1 player per server. It forces ppl to make decisions, stick by them, and grow their characters with consequences with poor decisions.

This !!

blackzilla
02-21-2011, 04:52 AM
I heard that we have 3 characters per account, but then I heard we should only have 1 because people will have an evil character or they will get into a tribe on one character, and give information to their real tribe on another character.

My solution is this.

1. Universal Alignment. If you go evil on one character, all your characters go evil.

2. Universal Tribes. Like in Guild Wars, all your characters should belong to one tribe (only taking up one slot) and if you leave that tribe on one character, all your characters leave the tribe.

We could also have last names that go across all characters. Like if I wanted my last name to be Venni, all my characters would have that last name like Joe Venni or Kevin Venni.

These are just some ideas.

I am not going to go into a depp explanation but I will tell you why it only has one character per account and why it is not going to change.

Three words: Player Driven Economy.... Lrn2mmo a player driven economy...kthxbai.

Go do some research and you too will understand why it is this way and for good reason.

Chavoda
02-21-2011, 05:51 AM
I would like to know were the OP got his Info from. More then one char per account is a very very bad idea.

Jadzia
02-21-2011, 06:13 AM
The OP started this thread nearly a year ago. Back then we had 3 characters per account but only for testing purposes, and the OP got confused by that. There will be only 1 character per account when the game goes live.

Chavoda
02-21-2011, 07:52 AM
The OP started this thread nearly a year ago. Back then we had 3 characters per account but only for testing purposes, and the OP got confused by that. There will be only 1 character per account when the game goes live.

Haha wow nice nercopost. way to go , /slapself for not seeing the date, Im compleetly off today..

Virtus
02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/attachments/world-affairs-board-pub/17114d1257963711-necropost-warning-pinhead-necro2.jpg