PDA

View Full Version : A Modest Proposal

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
MMO = massively multiplayer online game

If you're not playing it massively multiplayer, go play an FPS or get a massive number of friends to play with.

Really, the solution to overcrowding and the animal population and the pvp and the junk pile wars is simple. All this squabbling can be done away with immediately.

Just restrict the game to six tribes. Two good tribes (one combat, one crafter), two evil tribes (combat, crafter) and two neutral tribes (combat, crafter).

Enough of all this shillly shallying abound with indepenedent little tribes and medium sized tribes and you filthy, mud hut dwelling misanthrope soloers! Do away with us, please! We don't deserve to sully Xsyon with our skulking, antisocial carcasses!

Massively means massive. So let there be six massive tribes. And only six.

Oh but wah! That would mean the petty dictators squatting in some rude cave with their minions would lose their freedom and autonomy and ability to play the game their way.

Too bad, bozos, it's for the good of the whole. You don't deserve to be in this game if you're not going to play politics and make friends anyway. If you want power, scrabble your way to the top of one of the six.

And if you aren't willing to play as one of the six tribes, submitting to the rule of their leaders, your fate entwined with and dependent on a thousand internet strangers, then you shouldn't get to play at all.

Never mind it being hard mode for you to play in a tribe of 20, you shouldn't be allowed to play period. Clearly, your tribe doesn't meet the definition of massive. You don't have enough people! Get some friends, or get out!

Six tribes. That's what this game needs. Everything will be just great then!

*Obviously this was satire and aimed at the members of small and medium sized tribes who told us solo players and homestead size tribes to shut up and suck it up and who are now overflowing Lake Tahoe with their own tears because they've just discovered what the back of the bus smells like.

I do hope at least some of the people who read this will understand a little better why games need diversity, including solo players, though.*

maelwydd
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
You really don't understand the priciples of what MMO mean seems if you think MMO means you MUST group up.

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 05:19 PM
You really don't understand the priciples of what MMO mean seems if you think MMO means you MUST group up.

It was satire, I'm a solo player. And I'm sick of hearing people crying about my play style, so I went after the small and medium tribes who are complaining that recent changes are going to restrict their play styles.

Lordy, I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick, guess I should spackle a bit more on?

maelwydd
03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
It was satire, I'm a solo player. And I'm sick of hearing people crying about my play style, so I went after the small and medium tribes who are complaining that recent changes are going to restrict their play styles.

Lordy, I thought I laid the sarcasm on pretty thick, guess I should spackle a bit more on?

I was agreeing with you....

NexAnima
03-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Hell no, I want 7 tribes...and when I get 7, I wanna bitch how 7 is too many and the game is dying. Then I will blame one side, either the pvp crowd or the pvers (which ever side I feel has less support ATM). The devs will see my rage and change it back, but I will retort saying the new system was better.

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I was agreeing with you....

Oh!

*Puts away whatever tool is used to add more spackle to something*

Hey NexAnima, stop asking the devs to change the game to suit you! They made it an MMO. That means Massively Multiplayer. Plus you're one of the filthy Februarys, just like I am. You shouldn't be allowed to talk at all. And neither should I. In six months, if we're very good and very lucky, my greatest hope is that the grizzled 2010 veterans will deign to give us the power to speak (politely and subserviently) if spoken to!

Yokilla
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
...and who are now overflowing Lake Tahoe with their own tears because they've just discovered what the back of the bus smells like...

closet carebear

jumpshot
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh!

*Puts away whatever tool is used to add more spackle to something*

Hey NexAnima, stop asking the devs to change the game to suit you! They made it an MMO. That means Massively Multiplayer. Plus you're one of the filthy Februarys, just like I am. You shouldn't be allowed to talk at all. And neither should I. In six months, if we're very good and very lucky, my greatest hope is that the grizzled 2010 veterans will deign to give us the power to speak (politely and subserviently) if spoken to!

putty knife. Or maybe a trowel if you're using in game tools

ifireallymust
03-08-2011, 08:40 PM
putty knife. Or maybe a trowel if you're using in game tools

Thank you!

*Puts away the trowel*

Armand
03-09-2011, 12:07 AM
*golf clap*

Risk
03-09-2011, 12:16 AM
Pants...always the pants...

ifireallymust
03-09-2011, 12:27 AM
*golf clap*

And to think, I was going to vote Hopi for the Good Crafter Big 6 Tribe.

And Risk, I have hidden my pants in an undisclosed location. You may not have them!

Risk
03-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Found em! always the laundry hamper...eveyone hides good pants in soiled hehehe...

lol and quit knockin Hopi....their crew has helped out tons of new players that erent even in tribe...how many have you?

river111
03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
Screw your MMO, I want my RPG and your ruining my immersion! :)

hahaha j/k

Oh and just to point out, not everyone who has Feb is a newb to the game. All depends on which account we speak from!

Risk
03-09-2011, 12:51 AM
huh? lol
defensive aye???

savageasf
03-09-2011, 01:26 AM
the reason I bought this game is to not be pigeon holed in a structured system. I find the idea of starting from scratch and seeing what evolves organically from the players much more entertaining and enticing that having to choose at the beginning a "side" then having the obligation to support the "side" i've chosen. lame suggestion IMO. I have huge hope for this game because its being left up to the players to create the world and the less top down decisions we have to make the better.

Risk
03-09-2011, 01:53 AM
picked the right one Savag.....gunna be hells on bell for the first few months...after 6 we get the true game...

ifireallymust
03-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Found em! always the laundry hamper...eveyone hides good pants in soiled hehehe...

lol and quit knockin Hopi....their crew has helped out tons of new players that erent even in tribe...how many have you?

Gimme back mah pants, I just made those and they go so well with my hat!

Oh, and I wasn't knockin Hopi, just teasing them over the golf clap comment.

Damn it all, river, I really wanted to leave the RPG part out of this thread, shush! (Plus, I was just feeling too lazy to type MMORPG.) As for being a Filthy February, go on, give in and just embrace it, it's not so bad once you get used to it! ;)

Ziggy
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
The Irish should eat their children? What does that have to do with Xyson.

mindtrigger
03-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I should have looked at who started this thread before I came in here. Another soloer whine-fest from ifireallymust, who really has no idea how this game is going to play out over the next few months. He's cool with making our eyes bleed with this speculation though.

unclean666
03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I am a solo player and I have no prob with what this game is going to be a few months from now.
I welcome the challenge I think it will be fun as hell when the game takes off with now safe zones and ect.

ifireallymust
03-09-2011, 04:49 PM
I should have looked at who started this thread before I came in here. Another soloer whine-fest from ifireallymust, who really has no idea how this game is going to play out over the next few months. He's cool with making our eyes bleed with this speculation though.

If there is an ignore feature, I invite you to put me on it, thus saving your precious eyesight.

But kindly don't troll me.

Dagon
03-10-2011, 02:13 AM
I totally agree with ifireallymust on the soloplayersituation. And this thread is just a hint to the join-a-tribe-crowd that it cant be the answer to everything.
The arguement that we are playing in a postapocalytic world and that this is not a nice place for homesteaders isnt valid as well, since the only thing that is gone (more or less) is society. That means there should be a place for smal groups/soloers. I plan to play this game with 2 friends and we are planning to occupy a smal junkpile in the mountainarea with 3 homesteadareas.
The problem is, and that what ifireallymust is pointing out in a lot of threads, that this wont be possible for everybody (maybe even not for us 3).

There should be enough room and basic ressources for everyone and the rare stuff shouldnt be of use early on.
Right now junk is needed by everyone and nobody wants to share it, thus leaving the soloers/smal group players in a bad position.

Bridger
03-10-2011, 03:35 AM
DDO was built from the ground up with the idea that grouping would be necessary to progress. It was a natural design choice, based on the desire to port the pen-and-paper paradigm of Fighter/Wizard/Cleric/Thief to an MMO.

The developers have since devoted a large portion of their energies to finding ways of getting around the need to group their design choice inflicted upon them.

The lesson seems fairly clear: MMO should be a vehicle that allows the option to group when you want to, and to succeed on your own when you want to - though the degree of that success can be the occasional price of the choice either way.

ifireallymust
03-10-2011, 03:56 AM
It seems that a lot of us, in a lot of different games, are determined not to put our in game characters' fates in the hands of internet strangers. So nice not to be alone...in wanting to be alone!

Well, and in my case, I'm so anti-authoritarian that not only can I not stand for anyone to tell me what to do, I also can't stand to tell anyone else what to do!

Dagon
03-10-2011, 04:29 AM
When it comes to the matter of telling someone what to do i hope for this game that the community will build up a kind of society that is based on logic. I mean in a world where we are free to do what we want we will most likely find rules of conduct without announcing them. If the mindless-grief-we dont care-gang doesnt prevail this game can maybe develop into the best simulation of early human society. This would give room to both homesteaders and tribes and will mostly lead to interaction based on satisfying needs (trade for goods, creating security) and the more violent variants will be less dominant.

The problem here is of course that a lot of people say that its just a game get over it, lets just min max the sh*t out of it and tyrranize our fellow gamers...

ifireallymust
03-10-2011, 04:45 AM
When it comes to the matter of telling someone what to do i hope for this game that the community will build up a kind of society that is based on logic. I mean in a world where we are free to do what we want we will most likely find rules of conduct without announcing them. If the mindless-grief-we dont care-gang doesnt prevail this game can maybe develop into the best simulation of early human society. This would give room to both homesteaders and tribes and will mostly lead to interaction based on satisfying needs (trade for goods, creating security) and the more violent variants will be less dominant.

The problem here is of course that a lot of people say that its just a game get over it, lets just min max the sh*t out of it and tyrranize our fellow gamers...

Happily, I'm thinking the min/max tyrants are actually the minority for once. But logic and humans don't usually go well together, and I sure don't want to depend on my fellow humans to be logical. And then there is that other type of human (like me), logical to the point of being unreasonable, which can sometimes be worse than not being logical at all.

But what gets me is this: Either a large minority or an actual majority of MMO players want the option to solo, yet devs seem to avoid giving us that option whenever possible. So there must be something extremely difficult about developing and maintaining a game that caters to both solo players and team players.

Dagon
03-10-2011, 04:58 AM
What i mean with logic would be, that after a while a amount x of the homesteaders would move to bigger settlements, playing solo inside a tribe ( without dealing with tribe rules, because of the safety. Think of it like living in a town instead of living in the woods in real life. And the homesteaders that are staying in the wildneress will, through this, get more room. After the settlements developed to cities their demand will rise (espacially for food), this will enable the homesteaders to produce food (future features like farming and catlleherding) and other ressources (smal amounts of ore and building materiell) and provide the tribes with it.
By doing so the big tribes will become depended and will have a need to provide security for their hinterlands.

Of course this is a ideal vision of this game from my view and MMO-communities until today showed me that this is most unlikely to happen.
But if Jordi thinks in somewhat the same way and will provide the game with the proper mechanics i could envision this.

Such a gameworld would be ideal for soloers and homesteaders, since they could be productive outside their own little area without beeing forced into a bigger tribe.

ifireallymust
03-10-2011, 05:06 AM
What i mean with logic would be, that after a while a amount x of the homesteaders would move to bigger settlements, playing solo inside a tribe ( without dealing with tribe rules, because of the safety. Think of it like living in a town instead of living in the woods in real life. And the homesteaders that are staying in the wildneress will, through this, get more room. After the settlements developed to cities their demand will rise (espacially for food), this will enable the homesteaders to produce food (future features like farming and catlleherding) and other ressources (smal amounts of ore and building materiell) and provide the tribes with it.
By doing so the big tribes will become depended and will have a need to provide security for their hinterlands.

Of course this is a ideal vision of this game from my view and MMO-communities until today showed me that this is most unlikely to happen.
But if Jordi thinks in somewhat the same way and will provide the game with the proper mechanics i could envision this.

Such a gameworld would be ideal for soloers and homesteaders, since they could be productive outside their own little area without beeing forced into a bigger tribe.

I wouldn't want to live in a city, even as a solo player, if I could help it, but I could see a lot of players doing so. I could also see cities getting the majority of their food from the farmers in the future and protecting them when necessary. Pretty sure it won't devolve into serfdom, simply because it's easier to quit a game than it is to quit life. And if any city state does arise and try that bit, I will happily join the hinterland revolution, with a pitchfork in one hand and a torch in the other! (Actually, that would be really fun.)

Dagon
03-10-2011, 05:08 AM
(Actually, that would be really fun.)

And thats why i am interessted in this game, it could become a nice "society in a nutshell" simulator, including mechanics and processes that arent commen in the modern western world. ;)

ifireallymust
03-10-2011, 05:15 AM
And thats why i am interessted in this game, it could become a nice "society in a nutshell" simulator, including mechanics and processes that arent commen in the modern western world. ;)

Those mechanics and processes still exist, but trying to fight modern day tyrants will usually just get you killed. And you don't get ported back to your totem in real life, either.

Someday, though. Someday.