PDA

View Full Version : Posting limit

Virtus
03-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Hello Everyone!

As you may of found out already I have setup the tribe advertisement forum to only allow for 1 post per thread per day.

If you feel this is too restrictive I will increase it, but no more then 3 in a 24 hour period

To make it clear this is 1 post by anyone in the thread.

If you would like I can set it up so that only the thread creator can post, this will stop trolling and abuse of this system.

Thoughts an opinions please. Removing this system isn't one of them :)

Virtus
03-09-2011, 01:18 PM
ROFL sorry guys,

I forgot that my thread was included in that limiter. Post here. I will find a way to make exceptions for posts like these.

Jadzia
03-09-2011, 01:42 PM
You mean it should be working right now ? I can post in a thread more than once...

Mactavendish
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Do what you feel is best for your paying customers and pay no attention to the trolls.

It's your forums do what you want.

You may want to relax it back to 1 post per thread per hour ... that way those that ARE posting constructive info can share in a timely manner.

( just a thought )

Armand
03-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Smite those trolls and forum queens.

It might make some consider actually putting a measure of thought and effort into their posts.

Jasdemi
03-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Testing

Testing

Test

Testing

Test

Virtus
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
You mean it should be working right now ? I can post in a thread more than once...

I meant the tribe advertisement, I had to move this thread from there because of the restriction that i put in lol

Only 1 post her thread per day should be allowed now.

Kroom
03-09-2011, 02:14 PM
I meant the tribe advertisement, I had to move this thread from there because of the restriction that i put in lol

Oh okay, makes sense now. I thought it was a little extreme and stifling to have any actual discussions.

Jadzia
03-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Only 1 post her thread per day should be allowed now.

Ok, I understand it now, but I think its not a good idea. Tribe advertisement forum is not the place where most of the flaming happens, its on the general forum. I understand you don't like tribes bumping their thread but this limits the communication with players who are interested in a tribe. Someone just posted in the Nomad forum, asking a question....now they can't reply to him. And if there is another player who is interested in joining, he can't ask how he can since someone posted before him.

mrcalhou
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
That's such a silly limitation.

Archangei
03-09-2011, 03:02 PM
I can see why its needed, make it so that only the creator can bump so we dont get unwanted bumps then..

But what if more than one applicant want to write in the thread?

Virtus
03-09-2011, 04:11 PM
ok, so I have thought about it.

The tribe advertisement area is purely for advertising your tribe. If someone wishes to ask questions about it they can either post in looking for a tribe or tribal discussions or PM a member of that tribe.

If you wish I can switch as Archangei suggested, so that only the thread creator can post there (and I would allow for 3 posts in a 24 hour time span which would mean a post every 8 hours)

Burnt
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't mind if only the thread creator can post or not, but if you do, it seems like setting it at 8 hours would just start a bump war... Then again I guess 1 day would just be a more strategic bump war. Why not just stop anyone from replying to a thread if it is solely for advertising the thread? Then no more pointless bumps

Jadzia
03-09-2011, 04:18 PM

The tribe advertisement area is purely for advertising your tribe. If someone wishes to ask questions about it they can either post in looking for a tribe or tribal discussions or PM a member of that tribe.

If you wish I can switch as Archangei suggested, so that only the thread creator can post there (and I would allow for 3 posts in a 24 hour time span which would mean a post every 8 hours)

Well thats fine, so every tribe is allowed to start their own thread in Tribal Discussion and can post there as many times as they like ?

Virtus
03-09-2011, 04:56 PM
well I wouldn't want to do as many times as you like because as Burnt stated it would case a bump war.

Larsa
03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Sorry, Virtus, with all respect, I think that's a bad idea. If you want to decrease the amount of bumps from some tribes, okay, that's a valid goal. But please then just do that. Tell them that bumps aren't wanted and that bumps aren't welcome on this forum. You have every right to do so.

Of course you have also the right to limit legit posts on the tribe forum but I would think it unreasonable to limit legit posts because some tribes abuse the system by using bumps and the countless "welcome xxx to tribe yyy" posts. Practically the number of tribes that use these methods to stay at the top of the tribe forum isn't that large.

Jadzia
03-09-2011, 05:56 PM
well I wouldn't want to do as many times as you like because as Burnt stated it would case a bump war.

Hmm that means you plan to limit the Tribe Discussion forum too ?

Burnt
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Hmm that means you plan to limit the Tribe Discussion forum too ?

I don't think that is the case, tribal discussions would not be limited because the board is for 'discussing', whereas the "tribe adveritisement" board shouldn't need very many replies at all, if any.

Ashanti
03-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Hi Virtus,

As you may or may not be aware, The Nomads do use our Tribe Advertisement thread to welcome our new members into our tribe. Although it does bump the thread, we do so mainly as a means of acknowledging our new members and celebrating their addition to our family, and we do so on our Tribe Advertisement thread because that is where they found us.

To be honest, it is not like tribe's have players joining their tribe in bunches. On the contrary, the potential is there that at any given time, any given tribe can go days without inducting a single member into their tribe. Although it is true, that they sometimes join in bunches :)

In any case, if this is inappropriate, please let me know and I will stop doing it immediately. As a matter of fact, because it is always my intent to endeavor to adhere, I will stop doing it anyways until it is deemed appropriate by yourself or a designated mod.

Thank you

Proto
03-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Do what you feel is best for your paying customers and pay no attention to the trolls.

It's your forums do what you want.

You may want to relax it back to 1 post per thread per hour ... that way those that ARE posting constructive info can share in a timely manner.

( just a thought )

Smite those trolls and forum queens.

It might make some consider actually putting a measure of thought and effort into their posts.

Man, you guys don't know dick about forums do you?

It's the pretentious folk like yourselves that will bury a forum before any silly trolls will so long as there some reasonable rules and moderation in place.

Ok, I understand it now, but I think its not a good idea. Tribe advertisement forum is not the place where most of the flaming happens, its on the general forum. I understand you don't like tribes bumping their thread but this limits the communication with players who are interested in a tribe. Someone just posted in the Nomad forum, asking a question....now they can't reply to him. And if there is another player who is interested in joining, he can't ask how he can since someone posted before him.

Jadzia is right, most flaming across gaming forums takes place in 3 areas: General Discussion, Off Topic and Clan Political.

Btw, you should move the politics section up to the tribes section for greater visibility.

Virtus
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
ok so...final thought after much deliberation with myself.

Only the thread creator will be able to post
The thread creator will be able to post as much as they want, however, due to the merging system it will simply merge any posts made within a 1 day time frame with no "new post" message.

This will allow for constant tribe updates and should a person wish to join your tribe they can PM any member of that tribe.

Virtus
03-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Extra Note:

I am looking for other possible work arounds to allow posting without bumping etc.

Archangei
03-09-2011, 10:58 PM
What if the like the major tribes to get their own subforum thing, that way applicants and such can have their discussions there without littering this area?

furanku
03-09-2011, 11:37 PM
I kind've dislike this -_-...

Ashanti
03-09-2011, 11:49 PM
ok so...final thought after much deliberation with myself.

Only the thread creator will be able to post
The thread creator will be able to post as much as they want, however, due to the merging system it will simply merge any posts made within a 1 day time frame with no "new post" message.

This will allow for constant tribe updates and should a person wish to join your tribe they can PM any member of that tribe.

Thank you so much, Virtus.

The Nomads are grateful for their one post per day in order to continue their long held tradition of respectfully acknowledging our new members and celebrating their addition to the Nomad family.

/curtsies respectfully then retreats gracefully

Hopibear
03-10-2011, 03:56 AM
Euhm,

This rule is really not good at all. I can't even do 1 post on our recruitment page and do mostly the recruitments at the moment.
Since i am not the creator of the thread and ofcourse people have a life the creator can't always post and while the other officers can.

This sucks.... give atleast other people the chance to post 3 times. Now i can't post even 1 post.

STAR_GOD
03-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Virtus sort it out jesus come on... I am thread creator I cant post since it saiz I am not that dont make sense...

Zenmaster13
03-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Virtus sort it out jesus come on... I am thread creator I cant post since it saiz I am not that dont make sense...

How about you two knuckleheads in the same tribe decide which one of you is going to post here. When one of you receives a ban, the other can post.

Burnt
03-10-2011, 01:06 PM
How about you two knuckleheads in the same tribe decide which one of you is going to post here. When one of you receives a ban, the other can post.

Hahaha, I love it.

I'm happy with the new rules, still have not found the need to even bump my tribe post once yet, so no worries there :)

Kinslayer
03-10-2011, 01:09 PM
This is a great idea. Ive always found 45 pages of bumps to be quite pathetic, especially 4-5mths ago when tribes were bumping their tribes threads from 6th on the page up to 1st.

The other way to do it, is simply lock all threads, then once your thread slips to page 2, you can pm a mod to bump your thread back to page 1 for you. Thats how MO ended up doing it. For edits, a mod would unlock the thread for you.

Trekkan
03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Not exactly sure what this is supposed to solve really. Ok, so people can't bump their threads... so? I mean... why should anyone care if a thread in tribal recruitment has bumps on it? Does it hurt something, is it preventing someone from doing something? Just seems like "I don't like bump posts so I'm going to lock it down". Your call of course, but really, it's not solving any real "problem".

Dweetybyrd
03-10-2011, 02:29 PM
I think quite a few tribes complained about it.....

Jadzia
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Not exactly sure what this is supposed to solve really. Ok, so people can't bump their threads... so? I mean... why should anyone care if a thread in tribal recruitment has bumps on it? Does it hurt something, is it preventing someone from doing something? Just seems like "I don't like bump posts so I'm going to lock it down". Your call of course, but really, it's not solving any real "problem".

I agree. Its pointless and doesn't solve anything.

Melaquinn
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
/agree

Our thread starter has a life and can't always answer questions about us. Several of us have no life (self included) and are forum addicts.

VeryWiiTee
04-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Just bump with a reason, like updates about the guild and such instead of having to be in the top 10..

So I'm kinda for it :).

Orly?..

It is a waste of space and resources. That should be enough for an indie firm to justify limitations.

Bizley
06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Is this limit still in effect? If it is, I need to include a link in my tribe's advertisement to a place where I can communicate to potential candidates.

LynnaWaters
08-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Is this limit still in effect? If it is, I need to include a link in my tribe's advertisement to a place where I can communicate to potential candidates.

Wondernig the same. So really we should all find some webspace with some forum on it just because candidates cant reply to our threads. Maybe new players will be confused by the restriction and the tribe will even lose potential members due to this. I don't see any positive effect over this restriction, neither do i see why it came in effect. There doesn't seem to be any bot-bumping going on here and even if nobody seems to be bothered by it.

I'm getting teh feeling this is causing alot more trouble for people trying to use the recruitment section than givign them posibilities. Please reconsider, the games population is already low enough as it is, we need every tribal possibilities to catch the new players as possible.

Thanks

MrDDT
08-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Wondernig the same. So really we should all find some webspace with some forum on it just because candidates cant reply to our threads. Maybe new players will be confused by the restriction and the tribe will even lose potential members due to this. I don't see any positive effect over this restriction, neither do i see why it came in effect. There doesn't seem to be any bot-bumping going on here and even if nobody seems to be bothered by it.

I'm getting teh feeling this is causing alot more trouble for people trying to use the recruitment section than givign them posibilities. Please reconsider, the games population is already low enough as it is, we need every tribal possibilities to catch the new players as possible.

Thanks

Its in effect to prevent the thread from being pushed to the top all the time, also from others posting in a tribe they have no want to be part of and pretty much flaming it all day.

I'm not sure if its being enforced right now or not as there are few tribes in game. Back when there were 100s of tribes it was a bigger issue.