PDA

View Full Version : New download server really payed off!

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
That new downloadserver you swiched to couple weeks ago are REALLY paying off! Im sitting here downloading at what I estimate to be 10-30 kb/sec on my 30 mb fibre connection, BRING IT ON!

Commissar123
03-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Xsyon want you to download patches like it's 1999.

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Xsyon want you to download patches like it's 1999.

more like 1997.

randomt
03-14-2011, 07:44 AM
In there defense, they probably didn't foresee having us repatch the whole zone file anytime soon.. 1.5 gigs patch just to add junk.. yea! Couple megs, couple hundred megs even, we'd have patched and been over with, freeing up the bandwidth for other patchees..

I get it now why Jordi said a few weeks ago that he couldnt just add junk arbitrarily

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
1986?

Srsly tho folks... This might be alot worse if there was only download server and it was still attached to the game...

Furyk
03-14-2011, 07:46 AM
In there defense, they probably didn't foresee having us repatch the whole zone file anytime soon.. 1.5 gigs patch just to add junk.. yea! Couple megs, couple hundred megs even, we'd have patched and been over with, freeing up the bandwidth for other patchees..

I get it now why Jordi said a few weeks ago that he couldnt just add junk arbitrarily

why did he then? :(

Saolite
1986?

Srsly tho folks... This might be alot worse if there was only download server and it was still attached to the game...

Not by too wide a margin. It would just mean the people who did successfully patch wouldn't be able to play due to lag. The rest of us patching would still be patching at a crawl.

And yes. This download speed is about early 90's. -.-

Kiriath
there really is no excuse for not using some kind of torrent system by 2011.

Aethaeryn
03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
The separate patch server was to take pressure off of the game server(s). I don't believe they said the new patch server would have no bandwidth problems. .but that the game server would have no issues in that regard.

The torrent thing I agree with 100%

Commissar123
03-14-2011, 07:48 AM
more like 1997.

1997 doesn't have the same ring to it. Just ask Prince.

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 07:50 AM
1997 doesn't have the same ring to it. Just ask Prince.

True that, 1999 it is.

Lily
I can see the logic of having separate patch and game servers, but that doesn't make a damn difference if no-one can get in game as the patch server isn't up to the job.

Saolite
there really is no excuse for not using some kind of torrent system by 2011.

Kind've agree with you. A lot of games, even free to play ones, have their initial installer, which often uses Pando Media Booster, and then torrent their patches through their client. It's handy.

Especially games that consistently change quite frequently in terms of upgrades / areas / etc.

randomt
03-14-2011, 07:53 AM
Work on a torrent patcher.. or work on getting rid of the memory leaks on the server so that the game is playable, sorting out exploits, making sure the starting player population has what it needs to even get started with basic crafting and land..

Choices choices!

Commissar123
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
The best part is we'll probably have to download this all again because there were space in an item name that has caused the database to destroy itself.

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Work on a torrent patcher.. or work on getting rid of the memory leaks on the server so that the game is playable, sorting out exploits, making sure the starting player population has what it needs to even get started with basic crafting and land..

Choices choices!

yea hosting a torrent with Zone.xsip on the same download server for those interestet would be such a huge time sink.

BigCountry
03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I can see the logic of having separate patch and game servers, but that doesn't make a damn difference if no-one can get in game as the patch server isn't up to the job.

Forums, IRC, patch, game. Let's put them all on one ISP host/server...
:D

STAR_GOD
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Hi, moron. When did the developers say the new download servers would bring increased bandwidth and download speeds? Oh, that's right, they didn't. The only thing the new download servers were supposed to do is allow patching that didn't affect the game server's stability. Now, if you had offered some kind of constructive criticism (instead of misinformed and predictable sarcasm), such as the use of a torrent patcher, then I wouldn't have to resort to calling you a moron. Look what you made me do.

Calling names is against TOS and against hopi beliefs shame on you hopi!

AlexTaldren
03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Calling names is against TOS and against hopi beliefs shame on you hopi!

You're very astute. I speak for myself on these forums unless I state otherwise. Shame on me? Sure. Shame on Hopi? Nah.

Sirius
03-14-2011, 09:51 AM
You're very astute. I speak for myself on these forums unless I state otherwise. Shame on me? Sure. Shame on Hopi? Nah.

Hopi tribe and its members bring shame to each other ;)