PDA

View Full Version : Lag is caused by population reacing a certain lvl.

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 01:34 PM
This should be obvious by now.

Last couple weeks, ALL the lag happens in US/EU primetime, in off hours the server is mostly fine.

Fix=Up server capacity. Plain and simple.

Haunt
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
BUT BUT We were told bandwidth was no longer as issue? The devs do not lie to us and when they say something, they mean it and stick to it with conviction!

RoTaN
03-14-2011, 01:38 PM
All I know is the game is now unplayable again, this is getting old fast.

denzil71
03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
I don't think population will be much of an issue if this keeps up :(

Kiriath
BUT BUT We were told bandwidth was no longer as issue? The devs do not lie to us and when they say something, they mean it and stick to it with conviction!

yea im sure next time its short character names causing it.

Crodak
^you reboot 5 times and now its done... we now have lag... can you make rollback to lagfree times ...

caldrin
let hope they dont go live release with this lag tomorrow.. its bette to hold off until you have things working correctly with a large server population...

LordTenacious
03-14-2011, 01:43 PM
They patched the lag back in so the game will now work as intended.

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
anyone wanna bet against this;

serverlag rest of evening, no lag six hours from now till 14 hours from now, then the lag starts up again.

ill bet 1000 fish 1-1

darkbladed
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Jordi you need to seriously find some way to fun an extra couple of servers as this isn't even prime time; think how 8pm is gunna be

Plague
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Bandwith is not server capacity. Two different things. Which one is broken (maybe both)?

Kiriath
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Jordi you need to seriously find some way to fun an extra couple of servers as this isn't even prime time; think how 8pm is gunna be

no we dont need more servers, we need a better server/more bandwidth.

Captain_Kirk
03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
I do believe that they have to fix this lag ASAP if they want their game to be successfull. Put a queue on the server or something. Its better to wait 30-60 min to get to play and actually be able to play.

Vander
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
It was probably some oversight like when they fixed a recent bug or issue, they overwrite the lag fix. Frustrating they don't seem to communicate on the problems until it's over. They should invest in some community liaisons to keep people informed so people don't rage and leave the game.

xenoclix
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Have the devs actually mentioned WHAT is causing the lag or is everyone just guessing its population in the game?

RoTaN
03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I didn't see any global communications from them - I logged out, the game is unplayable.

Vander
03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
No, I've been in since the servers went back up. Nothing in game or on the forums about it. Yet everyone is stuck with it.

niccoli00
03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Bad code can be just as much of a cause of lag as bad bandwidth or server quality.

Vander
03-14-2011, 02:00 PM
lag has almost gone now. Chatting is fine, just some action lag.

EDIT: Nope it's back again.

NorCalGooey
03-14-2011, 02:06 PM
I do believe that they have to fix this lag ASAP if they want their game to be successfull. Put a queue on the server or something. Its better to wait 30-60 min to get to play and actually be able to play.

this.............

Snickle1980
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
the magic orange text just told me to log off in five minutes so maybe they're going to work on it right now. i just hope its not another 6 hour fix with an 8 hour patch...i'm gittin tired of this sht lol.

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Lag is caused by population reaching a certain lvl.

Either that, or its not.

maelwydd
03-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Either that, or its not.

I disagree ;)

billpaustin
03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Just the basics show that it is not that simple: there are multiple kinds of "servers".

- login server -- has to access accounts and passwords
- patch/download server -- configuration management for who needs what patch and when
- game action server -- the "game" part of the game
- database server -- for all the items in the game.

There is also the web site, IRC, etc, to consider. All of this is what is called the "server". Any one, or more, of these functions could be throttling the performance. Or perhaps the data pipe for one or more of these are? Just calling for another server is not the answer.

caldrin
03-14-2011, 02:33 PM
thats the problem with probally running everything all off the one server lol..

AlexTaldren
03-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Well we know it definitely isn't global chat. :)

bruisie159
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Just been in game, the verdict - unplayable!

JCatano
03-14-2011, 02:45 PM
I would like to know how many machines this game is running on. My guess is one, which would be comical.

Vander
03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I didn't think Sinclair made servers.

xenoclix
03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
I say try reverting back to the original patch they had before this one. It seemed to work perfectly before the last small patch. Meh i dont know.

NorCalGooey
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Or maybe because it's prime-time on THE DAY most features released. Granted they need to get that fixed yes

Snickle1980
03-14-2011, 02:50 PM
game is still lagging since the last patch a few minutes ago. avg ping is 800-1000+ and all actions are now on a 5-6 minute delay. had to control alt delete to log out.

someone needs to fix this.

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Did you report your totem issue snickle?

It could have something to do with it.

Vander
03-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Yep the whole game is full of people stood about doing nothing. Hunger is also still occurring even though no one can catch any food. Whats the point in enabling everything when nothing can be done due to lag? And to make things worse, not even a peep from the devs on what's going on.

xenoclix
03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Well we cant really say its population just yet aswell.

The last patch had more then likely the same amount of people online with the new patch what when the lag started up - the time between the two patches was around 5 minutes.

Incarnage
03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Imho, Xsyon is definatly not ready for release. I dont know what kind of hardware the server is on but it feels like a 1GB flash drive. Ive seen some rough launches in my time but this is really quite something.

Devs, keep the game in beta for another couple of months until the server is capable of handling this many active players.

grimben
03-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Just been in game, the verdict - unplayable!

Totally agreed.

Bring back the fishing game. At least that one was playable.

Snickle1980
03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
yeah i reported the totem issue when it first happend about 30 minutes or so , give or take...no word as of yet. lag increases when i get near a totem from time to time, and the game also crashes to desktop when i right click a totem. it crashed once when i right clicked a person.

but right now , my main concern is the lag. if i'm the only one having totem issues, then i doubt its the cause of the lag...i just want this fixed. its getting old and i'm getting to the point where i'm losing enthusiasm for the game. i wish that werent the case...i like this game. or the concept of it anyway.

Crodak
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
server works well until you start to reboot it every 20 minutes... after this it was broken .....

the whole day ( european day ) it was lagfree and everything works.....

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Ive seen some rough launches in my time but this is really quite something.

Luckily the launch isn't until tomorrow. PLENTY OF TIME!!

yeah i reported the totem issue when it first happend about 30 minutes or so , give or take...no word as of yet. lag increases when i get near a totem from time to time, and the game also crashes to desktop when i right click a totem. it crashed once when i right clicked a person.

but right now , my main concern is the lag. if i'm the only one having totem issues, then i doubt its the cause of the lag...i just want this fixed. its getting old and i'm getting to the point where i'm losing enthusiasm for the game. i wish that werent the case...i like this game. or the concept of it anyway.

Ya I doubt it's you causing it, but it could be an indicator of what the problem is or at least help them track it. Tried to talk to you in game but forums are faster at this point :p

millsdo
03-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep, I played all day lag free with everything enabled (of what's been enabled). Then, the download server crashed and he brought down the game server. After that point, it was unplayable.

Drevar
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
This is obviously a hardware issue with their RAMSAN. Just need to get a new one same-day-drop shipped....
*smirk*

NorCalGooey
03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
Well we cant really say its population just yet aswell.

The last patch had more then likely the same amount of people online with the new patch what when the lag started up - the time between the two patches was around 5 minutes.

I never got a patch I just went from 50 ms to 200k (real MS) before I even logged out

MastaKane
03-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Maybe it's a combination of factors. For one it is now becoming prime time gaming hours. Also it is the first day all the features were released so everyone is getting on and probably doing a lot of terraforming which i have been told is a cause of lag. More importantly I believe the increase of bandwith towards the patching side of the server would be more likely to be the cause. Considering I logged on earlier today before they increased bandwith to the patch and there was absolutely no lag. Come home and they had increased bandwith and now we have tons of lag.

I am no expert. This is only speculation.

I also don't know if all the servers are connected. Meaning there may very well be a separate server for patching, but in that case I don't understand why they would limit bandwith at other times.

Snickle1980
03-14-2011, 03:44 PM
looks like the devs are aware and are taking care of it.

BigCountry
03-14-2011, 03:45 PM
It's not bandwidth, it's not hardware. Those 2 issues are easily fixed with money. And money is not a problem here.

This is a software issue. The current server architecture simple does not support this many clients. It could be leaks, it could be bugs, who knows. But it's definitely an issue that cannot be fixed easily. Or it would have been a month ago when we first went through this. They have had 1 month to fix it, and it's still not fixed, so I am going to assume it's a major problem within the core/engine of the architecture.

Stevro
03-14-2011, 03:49 PM
I dont see that its a population problem, a lot of people are still patching there is no way the game is at capacity, there has to be code problems or hardware problems not server or bandwith, they are just running the game on an old commodore 64.....still loading up the tape drive