PDA

View Full Version : Gaining new recipes seems broken

mrwooj
03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
I started with no basket recipes, so i have been making twine and thread for ages but havent gotten 1 new recipe. A few weeks ago i was in the same situation, made twine thread for like 10 mins and had about 5 or 6 new recipes? Anyone else feel that gaining new recipes might be broken somehow?

Jethin
03-14-2011, 05:23 PM
I was making twine/thread/ e.t.c for 5 mins and got 2 recipes, of course I lost my progress due to the rollbacks

xenoclix
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM
isnt it kinda random thought what u get and what stats u picked at the start?

orious13
03-14-2011, 05:24 PM
I obtained new recipes via toolcrafting. Haven't had the chance to do anything else. Maybe your recipe chance is affected by "luck" which is either charm or spirit.

Saolite
03-14-2011, 05:44 PM
I obtained new recipes via toolcrafting. Haven't had the chance to do anything else. Maybe your recipe chance is affected by "luck" which is either charm or spirit.

That would suck. I dropped those two stats to 20.

But I got a new recipe in basketry at level 10 -- as have a few other people near me. Always at 10, and always the same one ( grass hat ).

So, I'm hoping its still randomized and it's just the fact that we're low-skilled so we don't have a wide range of variable crafts we can make yet.

I have yet to try anything else, crafting wise.

The new change in crafting is a bit of a surprise, because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what path to take early on to solo efficiently and what stats complimented what I was trying to do, and still have enough strength/fortitude/agility to not be totally gimped in PvP. But now that everything is changed up, you kind of have to wing it.

Chibi
03-14-2011, 06:27 PM
That would suck. I dropped those two stats to 20.

But I got a new recipe in basketry at level 10 -- as have a few other people near me. Always at 10, and always the same one ( grass hat ).

So, I'm hoping its still randomized and it's just the fact that we're low-skilled so we don't have a wide range of variable crafts we can make yet.

I have yet to try anything else, crafting wise.

The new change in crafting is a bit of a surprise, because I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what path to take early on to solo efficiently and what stats complimented what I was trying to do, and still have enough strength/fortitude/agility to not be totally gimped in PvP. But now that everything is changed up, you kind of have to wing it.

Dont forget that was beta and this is about to be live.

Saolite
03-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Dont forget that was beta and this is about to be live.

Oh, I know. I'm not complaining or anything. Just means I need to experiment with different stuff all over again. Just a lot harder because if I join a tribe, I imagine they'll quickly get tired of me rerolling just to try out the difference between 20 Spirit and 80 Spirit.

And I'll need to experiment with different crafts and if it's still ' randomized ' versus persistently getting recipes.

Which presents another problem because, right now, I've got access to a junk pile. That access would quickly be lost if I rerolled and lost the totem. Plus with all the rollbacks recently, it'd probably be a moot point.

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Broken, or it doesn't work like you think it does.

If you don't already know basket recipes, (I'm 99% sure) you aren't going to learn them from grindng. You are going to have to find them.

Baskets are a set, and you don't learn pieces from a set you don't already have one piece of. (hats, plates, and other exceptions exist)

Saolite
03-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Broken, or it doesn't work like you think it does.

If you don't already know basket recipes, (I'm 99% sure) you aren't going to learn them from grindng. You are going to have to find them.

Baskets are a set, and you don't learn pieces from a set you don't already have one piece of. (hats, plates, and other exceptions exist)

Hmm. If that's true, then it means if you don't start with Basketry, or find the recipe, you're just not going to get them. Would be the same for weapons and bonecraft? Tools, I doubt, because you can easily grind variations of all those, so I think those would be an exception.

Architecture would be another exception?

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 06:39 PM
As far as my understanding goes, tools don't have sets.

I'm not sure about Architecture, I dont think it has sets either but I've never ground it.

Deacon
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
hmmmmm...thats scarey...I started as leather crafter and got the exact same recipies as non leather crafter...ie....no real patterns, just basics like heyburn pants, shirt, moccassin, tarp and straps O.O

Froggyman
03-14-2011, 07:45 PM
I can't seem to learn any new recipes at all for basketry. I craft the whole time I'm online, and I've never even gained a single level. Back a few weeks ago I'd craft like six things and gain a level, all while learning about three new things to make. I've made about 30 hats, counting making the items necessary to make them, and I haven't learned anything, or made any progress on my basketry skill. I'd say they either changed it hardcore, or something isn't right with it.

UrkenInvader
03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
I've gain and lost about 6 toolcraft recipes today thanks to rollbacks.
No levels gained in the skill at all, just making a ton of metal stakes.

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't seem to learn any new recipes at all for basketry. I craft the whole time I'm online, and I've never even gained a single level. Back a few weeks ago I'd craft like six things and gain a level, all while learning about three new things to make. I've made about 30 hats, counting making the items necessary to make them, and I haven't learned anything, or made any progress on my basketry skill. I'd say they either changed it hardcore, or something isn't right with it.

Well in beta you started with some recipes that were parts of sets, thus unlocking those sets.

Now, for the most part, unless you chose Basketry as your main craft it is not like you have any recipes but The Basics. Thus you have no sets, thus you need to scav up a recipe to unlock a set.

That IS troubling that you haven't at least gained a skill point... I wonder what your stats are? And is this your main craft or a side craft? I don't know that stats affects the rate you learn skill points (or how), but I assume they do.

BigCountry
03-14-2011, 07:52 PM

This would suck....

Can anyone confirm?

Franconian
03-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Gains wont be the same as in testing .

Boneguard
03-14-2011, 08:13 PM
This would suck....

Can anyone confirm?

I have 43 Basketry skill and only 3 non-starter recipes

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7482/72829893.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/72829893.jpg/)

jaqknife
03-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Boneguard what is your charm and spirit at? Also do you have any basket recipes?

jumpshot
03-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Looking at Bones screenshot, and working of my theory..

Not sure which is starter skill was... I suspect Basketry since he says he only gained 3 recipes and I don't htink you get the Plates until lvl 25.

But it looks like for some reason he started with 0 sets (if basketry WAS his starter he could've started with up to 2 different sets). Alot of those hats aren't part of sets, they are just freebies like the plates.

But he has disproven that skill gain and recipe gain is broke, so that's good.

Froggyman
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Basketry is my main skill. I have made 30 hats at a time, 30 hats...plus the mats to make the items. I have tried making everything I can make multiple times, nothing has given me a skill point. I am decked out in everything I can make as clothing, and I have gained zero points, putting me at 25 crafting. I have learned nothing as well, and though I grant sets make sense, you also are supposed to gain random recipes from crafting, which is not happening for me. My OTHER crafts seem to work alright, but this one doesn't.

Also, I have standard charm and spirit (50) the same as I had a few weeks ago, when this worked without an issue.

Burnt
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Gains wont be the same as in testing .

Yeah, I am thinking the same thing, alot of crafting mechanics have been changed, and make more sense, when we were in beta.

arashisr
03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
I have gained 3 points in basketry currently sitting at 8 points. I have made about 40 tarps successfully out of about 70 attempted. That is a lot of smaller recipe makes to get the materials to make the tarps. You wont start really gaining points in it till you hit about 15 to 20 points in it. Recipes have a min level as well, If I remember from a few weeks ago I did not get my first recipe for storage till I got to about 15 points. I got the 10 slot pouch.

If you are trying for a recipe use your first levelup points to boost your basketry skill. Learning a skill from scratch takes a lot more effort then if you start with some points in it. Once you get some points in it the points will come faster. Also I find that not all recipes give equal skill. Partial recipes thread,Cloth,string,twine etc rarely give a skill point. So go for finished goods for the most skill bang for your buck. Also with the server rolling back often when you get a point log out. It maximizes the chance you will save that point. :)

Before last wipe I wanted limestone walls, Starting with a masonry of 5 It took about 800 attempts at bricks or so to get to 15 masonry another 1500 bricks and I had a 47 masonry. Just stick with it it will come. The first few points are the hardest :)

Boneguard
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Boneguard what is your charm and spirit at? Also do you have any basket recipes?

Charm 50, Spirit 50. All my recipes you may see on sceenshot.

My starter prof - Toolcrafter.

Froggyman
03-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I stated that basketry is my main, and I have 25 points in it. I've made full products. I've made hats, shirts, pants, tarps, crafting mats, everything on my list. I have done literally nothing except craft this whole time, trying to make containers, and none of it gives me a skill point. I'm not losing a skill point because the server rolls back, I have never gained one. But since this is apparently only happening to me, maybe I should place this in the bug section?

Saolite
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
I have gained 3 points in basketry currently sitting at 8 points. I have made about 40 tarps successfully out of about 70 attempted. That is a lot of smaller recipe makes to get the materials to make the tarps. You wont start really gaining points in it till you hit about 15 to 20 points in it. Recipes have a min level as well, If I remember from a few weeks ago I did not get my first recipe for storage till I got to about 15 points. I got the 10 slot pouch.

If you are trying for a recipe use your first levelup points to boost your basketry skill. Learning a skill from scratch takes a lot more effort then if you start with some points in it. Once you get some points in it the points will come faster. Also I find that not all recipes give equal skill. Partial recipes thread,Cloth,string,twine etc rarely give a skill point. So go for finished goods for the most skill bang for your buck. Also with the server rolling back often when you get a point log out. It maximizes the chance you will save that point. :)

Before last wipe I wanted limestone walls, Starting with a masonry of 5 It took about 800 attempts at bricks or so to get to 15 masonry another 1500 bricks and I had a 47 masonry. Just stick with it it will come. The first few points are the hardest :)

This is good news! I grinded from 5 to 19 basketry, only gaining 1 recipe the whole time. I got the Peasant's Grass Hat -- this is through server roll backs all day, as well, and doing nothing but grinding it ( and re-grinding it ) over and over.

But if you got the pouch eventually from having nothing, then it means you can eventually get the storage bins.

It's quite possible I simply have bad luck, and have yet to gain any recipes? I'm hopeful that's the case. Regardless, I'll grind up to 30 or so before calling it quits with that specific craft, and I'll post what happens in the meantime.

EDIT :

At 19 Basketry, just got another recipe without leveling the skill up. Farmer's Grass Hat.

xaradt
03-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Also at 43 skill now, was going up fine yesterday but now it has just stopped, completely. I have the exact same recipies as Boneguard and exactly the same skill level, so I doubt stats or what you grind has anything to do with the recipies, therefore I'd say they are indeed not random.

I'd like to know if anyone has made a basket yet, and if so did they get the recipie at start up or find it etc.

Luculus
03-15-2011, 02:51 AM
...I'd like to know if anyone has made a basket yet, and if so did they get the recipie at start up or find it etc. I started with 2 storage bin recipes, pack and pouches. So yes, I've made quite a few.

Unsurprisingly, I've noticed that success rate on crafts seems to be lower and of course advancement rate. It was made pretty clear that beta would allow quick advancement for testing. However, seeing that SS of someone with 43 skill and so few recipes there must be something wrong. What is your intelligence? AFAIK that play a big role in discovering new designs.

xaradt
03-15-2011, 03:15 AM
My intel is 60, but from what I've discovered, all the people I've spoken with are in the same boat, and gained exactly the same recipies at the same skill. All hats and plates and no baskets :(

galagah
03-15-2011, 03:33 AM

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/7482/72829893.jpg (http://img827.imageshack.us/i/72829893.jpg/)

Exactly the same recipe list as myself and i have 46 in Basketry , starter skill was Woodcraft , so i've gained 41 points from crafting , only recipes i gained in that time were Daogwa shirt & moccasins , Light / Heavy Plate , Farmers Grass Hat , and Weavers Grass Hat , i started with everything else .

xaradt
03-15-2011, 04:17 AM
Update - 50 Basketry and still no new recipies after the ones mentioned above.

Deacon
03-15-2011, 04:46 AM
what's your inteligence? It may have alot to do with "learning"

BigCountry
03-15-2011, 05:14 AM
My intel is 60, but from what I've discovered, all the people I've spoken with are in the same boat, and gained exactly the same recipies at the same skill. All hats and plates and no baskets :(

This is my fear. Xsyon has removed ease of container creation to cut back on items = less lag. Let's face it, it what we all would have done sitting in his shoes.
:(

hmmmm.....we need containers. bad. You bottleneck hard and fast in this game if you lose the ability to store things.
lol

teriyaki
03-15-2011, 06:17 AM
This is my fear. Xsyon has removed ease of container creation to cut back on items = less lag. Let's face it, it what we all would have done sitting in his shoes.

hmmmm.....we need containers. bad. You bottleneck hard and fast in this game if you lose the ability to store things.
lol

Well.. imo it would have been much better if they finally turned on item and container decay to get rid of extra stuff lying around...

caldrin
03-15-2011, 06:46 AM

lol

lets hope thats not the case how stupid would that be..

i mean you need storage in the game if you want to build anything bigger than a metal spike.. if they have limited the storage available then they have limited the game to gathering trees and feeding yourself..

hopefully when i get back from work tonight this bug will be fixed and people will be able to unlock baskets just like in beta.. LOL

xenoclix
03-15-2011, 06:54 AM
I must of been lucky to get all bins, pouches, boxes at creation of my character for basketery? Im level 38 in basketery now but no new rec's as of yet though.

Saorlan
03-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Everything is working fine. I have been gaining loads of new receipies This thread can be closed now if a mod likes to.

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 06:55 AM

I think it has more to do with keeping Basketmaking a useful profession that has items people want to trade for. As it was there was no reason to take Basketweaving as your main.

There will still be (nearly) as many baskets laying around.

Not everything is a conspiracy, and I'm pretty sure this is not a bug.

I must of been lucky to get all bins, puches, boxes at creation of my character for basketery? Im level 38 in basketery now but no new rec's as of yet though.

Once you've fleshed out the sets you already have, you won't get new recipes until you unlock a new set.

Lerxst
03-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I would like to hear an "official" response to this. I must have re-rolled a dozen times during pre-launch some times with Basketry and sometimes without. Each time, I gained new recipes within the first 30 minutes of crafting and that was with the lowest Charm/Spirit stats allowed - and I do mean every time. Now I have those stats averaged out at 50, craft baskets for 2 hours and no new recipes but I do gain skill.

Geops
03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
So far I've experianced two things :

- Basketry getting no new recipies besides the starting ones
- Tailoring / Leatherworking getting recipies in the same group/set as I already have
- Toolmaking / Weaponcrafting getting all sorts of stuff
- I can't count

If this is all intended (which it probly is) it'll mean that you need to get 1 of a certain set before you can get more. So get 1 basketry recipe in a (basket) set and you'll get the right ones. Sadly only found leatherworking / tailoring / bonecrafting / toolcrafting patterns so far...

baka77
03-15-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm about 99% sure that he changed basketry so that you only learn bin/pouch/basket recipes if you start with basketry as your starting craft. My speculation is that non-basketeers CAN learn these recipes, but only by finding schemes for them via scavenging.

My guess is that Jooky did this to give basket weavers an actual purpose in the economy, even though it flies in the face of the sandbox concept.

dackain
03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
But baskets and pouches are worthless for trade, only the creator can set permissions, how does that seem right? So, weather or not it was intended to be this hard to get baskets, in my opinion it is still broke. This is encouraging re rolling for a number of reasons that i wont put in here to not give anyone any more ideas.

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm about 99% sure that he changed basketry so that you only learn bin/pouch/basket recipes if you start with basketry as your starting craft. My speculation is that non-basketeers CAN learn these recipes, but only by finding schemes for them via scavenging.

My guess is that Jooky did this to give basket weavers an actual purpose in the economy, even though it flies in the face of the sandbox concept.

This isn't actually a change at all, other than that if you didn't pick basketry you start with no sets. But ya I agree that it is like this to give those who chose basketry a reason to play. Disagree that it's anti-sandbox though.

But baskets and pouches are worthless for trade, only the creator can set permissions, how does that seem right? So, weather or not it was intended to be this hard to get baskets, in my opinion it is still broke. This is encouraging re rolling for a number of reasons that i wont put in here to not give anyone any more ideas.

If the crafter trades it to the recipient, then the recipient puts it on the ground, the recipient can then set the permissions.

dackain
03-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Im am pretty sure that is false jumpshot, our tribe has attempted this several times with pouches/bags/baskets and that was never proven to be true, but since during release we havent had any baskets to confirm I could be wrong. Someone else get the same results as jumpshot>?

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 09:23 AM
I could be wrong, everything in Xsyon is just theory.

I have yet to see it disproven though.

portios7
03-15-2011, 09:26 AM

I've put up with all the lag and rollbacks with out complain, just waiting to see if this boat sinks or not. (hope not). but this ninja nerf if true is a deal bereaker for me. not being able to make baskets in Xsyon is like trying to swim with out arms. i'll waith till i do my own testing before deciding

scotthall
03-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I've put up with all the lag and rollbacks with out complain, just waiting to see if this boat sinks or not. (hope not). but this ninja nerf if true is a deal bereaker for me. not being able to make baskets in Xsyon is like trying to swim with out arms. i'll waith till i do my own testing before deciding

I have to agree, this change is no "small" change. One thing is to let people try to get baskets for 5 hours (and let them have fun :P), but without the ability to do your own baskets later in game sologame would be changed dramaticly and this needs to be anounced!

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
Again, nothing has changed other than you are not starting with any container sets.

Rerolling to start with a basket set is alot faster than doing something that will never, and never would have, gotten you a basket.

As for official responses and announcements, that's not really how this game rolls. We have had to figure out 99% of it, no reason to think that'll change.

portios7
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Again, nothing has changed other than you are not starting with any container sets.

Rerolling to start with a basket set is alot faster than doing something that will never, and never would have, gotten you a basket.

As for official responses and announcements, that's not really how this game rolls. We have had to figure out 99% of it, no reason to think that'll change.

I did some testing now, and it did change. before the final wipe I was getting new basketry formulas fast, several per level. I just gained 3 levels and didnt get a single one. not even on the lines I have. it has been ninja nerfed and its a deal breaker for sure

BigCountry
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
It's not a deal breaker (just find someone in your tribe who can make them). It's just something that should have been announced so people could plan accordingly.

Also, why can you not share baskets/bags with friends, etc across multiple territories. When the heck did this change??

Fail. Yet again.
lol

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I suppose they probably could have (or did) change the rates at which we skill up and discover, but I don't think the basic mechanic of learning from sets you have already unlocked has changed.

denzil71
- Tailoring / Leatherworking getting recipies in the same group/set as I already have

Can confirm this - had no new tailoring recipes until a tribe member gave me a rubicon recipe he scavenged, then learnt 3 more rubicon ones in about 5 minutes.

Aethaeryn

I just got 4 pouches and two baskets today from someone who traded them to me. I could set permission on the ground or in my inventory just fine.

Tandarie
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Im am pretty sure that is false jumpshot, our tribe has attempted this several times with pouches/bags/baskets and that was never proven to be true, but since during release we havent had any baskets to confirm I could be wrong. Someone else get the same results as jumpshot>?

You are kidding right? Someone makes the baskets and puts them in the trade window of the other person. Ownership then changes and when the second person sets down the basket on the ground they can set permissions.

chaosegg
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I've heard enough people (at least 6) say they have been grinding basketry to unlock things and had nothing unlock,
and heard enough people who started with basketry skill specialty say they have bins/basket recipes or unlocked them,
that I believe this is somewhat intentional to make basketry an attractive choice for starting craft... and to encourage trade etc.

What I do not understand is those who have said they did start in basketry and still can not unlock anything....

He is correct, last week and today; same thing.

1) If the creator of the basket trades it to the person, then it becomes the property of the recipient.

2) If it is dropped on the ground, it always remains property of the person who dropped it.
Meaning that; regardless of what permissions are set (even if set to public, and people can take the whole container and use it), the only person able to change permissions is the original owner (whoever dropped it).
__________________________________________________ ____
I found out the hard way last week why it is bad to not trade containers directly... stored all my patterns an such in a bin my friend dropped for me and set to friend or public...
had the bin in my property using it, then one day i decided I'd put it just outside so friends could access... suddenly I no longer had any access to it.

Saolite
03-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Prior to the rollback, I had 29 basketry, with Basketry as not being my chosen starting craft skill.

I only learned hats up to that point. So it seems that you can indeed only learn sets that you have at least one piece of.

Lerxst
03-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Making Basket Weaving a profession just sounds... painful. The only things you learn are what you start with and once you've traded with everyone in your area... exactly what's the point? I mean it's not like you'll learn anything more or better by constantly making baskets. I can't imagine grass items would have much use later in the game either.

Saolite
03-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Making Basket Weaving a profession just sounds... painful. The only things you learn are what you start with and once you've traded with everyone in your area... exactly what's the point? I mean it's not like you'll learn anything more or better by constantly making baskets. I can't imagine grass items would have much use later in the game either.

I am highly inclined to agree with you, sir.

Although there would need to be some basket weavers. Otherwise no one would have any baskets ( unless they found the recipe ).

I kind've lament going woodcraft now, though. I found an old saw blade within 20 minutes of working on scavenging. x.x