PDA

View Full Version : Game Killing Lag is Back

Hazard
03-15-2011, 07:11 AM
So, how are the devs going to circumvent this new lagspike that is occurring today, aka planned launch date, so that we might actually be able to have a good experience while playing instead of pulling our hair out, and watching some of the new players quit?

randomt
03-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Thought the other thread said that was fixed? Son of a...

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 07:34 AM
I imagine either with coding, throwing money at something, or with voodoo.

What are you looking for here?

Hazard
03-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Looking to see what other people have to say, and maybe a response from dev's, i really dont care.

caldrin
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
boo that sucks not even prime time in europe and your getting lag again :(

Well they claim its not hardware related and they have enough capacity to handle everyone.. i cant see it myself as usually when not many people r on it works fine but as soon as the servers start filling up.. pop lag comes back.. to me that points to a server capacity issue.. but i could be wrong could be dodgy coding some place as well..

They need it fixed asap now the game is launched infact i cant believe they launched with the lag still there but there we go.

Hazard
03-15-2011, 08:03 AM
i agree caldrin, thanks for a worthwhile post compared to jumpshots whining.

Mystais
03-15-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes that is outrageous! No mmorpg has ever launched with lag issues before! :p

Dade512
03-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Launching with lag isn't exactly uncommon. I haven't got to play since last night but then, even tho my ping was high, the lag delay was negligible.

Dubanka
03-15-2011, 08:32 AM
what was odd about last night...after about 30 minutes (45?) of just crushing lag (pings 500-900), it went away.

whats odd isn't that the lag went away...the oddity is the ping stayed crappy (300-600) but didn't appear to significantly affect gameplay.

there was a slight delay on actions, but definitely not the 3-5 minute push-wait-watch cycle.

Bluebizzer
03-15-2011, 08:36 AM
what was odd about last night...after about 30 minutes (45?) of just crushing lag (pings 500-900), it went away.

whats odd isn't that the lag went away...the oddity is the ping stayed crappy (300-600) but didn't appear to significantly affect gameplay.

there was a slight delay on actions, but definitely not the 3-5 minute push-wait-watch cycle.

Yeah it was odd last night, wasn't acting like the usual wall of lag. I too was at 300-600ms for most of it, but chat etc were instant and actions only slightly sluggish at times.

grimfaust
03-15-2011, 08:54 AM
I was getting this lag too last night. It lasted a little while but went away around when I went to bed at about 1am (-6 gmt ). This morning it was ok but I was still seeing spikes up to 900. Hope this clears up, I'm relatively new considering I just signed up last night. Looks like a nice game to get in to. Latency needs some attention however.

Thardmann
03-15-2011, 09:02 AM
Launching with lag isn't exactly uncommon. I haven't got to play since last night but then, even tho my ping was high, the lag delay was negligible.

Thats not the problem. The lag has always been there. It has nothing todo with the fact that i is releasing today. But the fact that i is, WITH all this lag already being a huge problem, thats just uprofesional.

CMON DEVS! Get to work!

Aethaeryn
03-15-2011, 09:03 AM
It just got crazy right now. . was good. . then there was a bit of lag. . . then good. . Now it just started to crawl. . by guy is still in jump position while salvaging metal.

When someone posts something like. . it is not the first game to launch with lag. . that is usually do to something they can fix by adding servers etc. I am not sure this is the case here. Even if they add servers if they can't support the current population that is not good.

I am wondering if it is the number of items in the world increasing. Who knows though.

Longshank
03-15-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm new to the game....how i wish i hadnt spam clicked drinking water. Click it, nope doing nothing....click again no nothing, and again...nope....maybe if i fast click it....nope....couple of slow clicks...nope...wait a bit...and click....nope.....loads of clicks nope.....loads of clicks +1....nothing.......Hmmmm....then he starts drinking.....about 50 times :(

Thardmann
03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
LAGS GONE! yaya..

Sylia
03-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Its got to be a bandwidth issue. Primarly during primetime hours is when the lag starts coming . EU and US primetimes primarly. Bandwidth issue in my honest opinion.

fallanx
03-15-2011, 10:06 AM
its 5pm GMT on release date and i have 1000ms.

BigCountry
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
its 5pm GMT on release date and i have 1000ms.

hehe wait until US EST gets home from work....take whatever ping you have now and double it in 5-6 hours. I have the t-shirt and the hat for this...been thru it too many times.
:D

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Ya, that is what doesn't make sense to me. Within the last 20 minutes we went from meh laggy, to prestine no lag, and back.

I can understand consistent lag, or lag spikes, but... this is just weird.

darkbladed
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM
It was beautiful this morning; I hope they get it sorted by this evening.

[its 1PM EST (NY) Time right now (10am PST)]
so Jordi and the gang has ~4 hours to fix it before people get home, can't play, and the forums turn into a shitstorm of people angry and saying stuff like "this lag, on launch day!"

Bridger
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I admit I was a little skeptical of the devs reassurance that this lag wasn't hardware related because they had sufficient hardware to service the needs of the current subscriber base. I too have observed the too-predictable-to-be-coincidence relationship between peak play time and the appearance of the lag.

But then, earlier this morning with a fairly modest population in game, and an occasional lag spike, another possibility occurred to me:

What if it's not the number of people who are using the server capacity itself that is the cause of the lag? What if it's the number of people who are doing... well, doing what ever it is that causes the game code to gag? And as the number of people playing the game increases, the subset of people doing the 'whatever-it-is' is likewise increasing?

randomt
03-15-2011, 10:34 AM
What if it's not the number of people who are using the server capacity itself that is the cause of the lag? What if it's the number of people who are doing... well, doing what ever it is that causes the game code to gag? And as the number of people playing the game increases, the subset of people doing the 'whatever-it-is' is likewise increasing?

That would be the most logical assumption, in my books.

Something somewhere is causing a minor memory leak, or a run-away process, or some such thing that's minor on it's own, but as more and more people do it, the effect stacks up until the server hits max-performance capacity and starts chugging, building up a backlog in server-event queues, causing the "lag" we feel.

Eventually everyone leaves or at least stops trying to do anything, and the server finally is able to get caught up, and the lag is gone..

Makes sense?

Captain_Kirk
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Fix the lag first then make people pay for gametime.

Hazard
03-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah it was odd last night, wasn't acting like the usual wall of lag. I too was at 300-600ms for most of it, but chat etc were instant and actions only slightly sluggish at times.

Same thing happened to me last night too....Wish it was happening this morning, but with less lag....

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Fix the lag first then make people pay for gametime.

Ya it's dumb we only get a month of included game time with our purchase.

Oh wait....

darkbladed
03-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Basically what the Devs are saying is that there servers can handle [5X amount of people doing something that isn't tied to broken code] but that the server cannot handle [x amount of people doing something broken]

The problem is right now they don't know what is broken; When there are 30 people doing that broken action it resolves itself before it becomes a problem, but when 500 people are on the server gets gummed up and cannot resolve it and turns into snowballing lag.

Hopefully they can track down the bits of broken code and get it all fixed up

Aethaeryn
03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Ya it's dumb we only get a month of included game time with our purchase.

Oh wait....

I tend to agree with you often but I am going to disagree with this assuming I understand how you meant it. It doesn't matter how much is included. If I buy a minivan with a extra seat I expect to have it. I wouldn't say. . oh well . . most cars only have room for 5 anyway. I don't think the launch. . if it is that. . is horrific by any means but when people start saying stuff like "well it is better than crap launch A. . or crap launch B" it makes me want to start an MMO company on my own. . by the time I develop the game people will be happy to just get a direct download on time and get a start up screen.

It is why government gets away with so much crap.

Regardless. It isn't how bad it is now that matters. . it is how bad it is in a week or two.

Longshank
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Game worked great after everyone logged off just now.

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 11:05 AM
I tend to agree with you often but I am going to disagree with this assuming I understand how you meant it. It doesn't matter how much is included. If I buy a minivan with a extra seat I expect to have it. I wouldn't say. . oh well . . most cars only have room for 5 anyway. I don't think the launch. . if it is that. . is horrific by any means but when people start saying stuff like "well it is better than crap launch A. . or crap launch B" it makes me want to start an MMO company on my own. . by the time I develop the game people will be happy to just get a direct download on time and get a start up screen.

It is why government gets away with so much crap.

Regardless. It isn't how bad it is now that matters. . it is how bad it is in a week or two.

I guess I was just tryign to say that guy wanted to not be charged until the game was fixed, and they have already addressed that by giving us bonus time since the game is not fixed. I suppose they could not start counting the 2.5 months until it's tip top... but c'mon... 2.5 months? By then most of us will of either cancelled or be happy with it and happy to pay. Regardless of what happens in the next few days.

teriyaki
03-15-2011, 11:11 AM
That would be the most logical assumption, in my books.

Something somewhere is causing a minor memory leak, or a run-away process, or some such thing that's minor on it's own, but as more and more people do it, the effect stacks up until the server hits max-performance capacity and starts chugging, building up a backlog in server-event queues, causing the "lag" we feel.

Eventually everyone leaves or at least stops trying to do anything, and the server finally is able to get caught up, and the lag is gone..

Makes sense?

Yeah, it definitely feels like a server CPU issue rather just plain lag. It's not that we're rubberbanding around so much but that the game engine sputters. It reminds me of openinig those gates in WoW where the servers overloaded because of too many people in the same spot rather than just plain logged in the game. In any case, I'd say its server coding issue - and very probably some memory leak that is not being cleaned fast enough.