PDA

View Full Version : Compass

Hystarea
03-15-2011, 01:26 PM
How about a Compass when we enter the game so we can navigate easier :P

Dade512
03-15-2011, 01:42 PM
How about a Compass when we enter the game so we can navigate easier :P

At the very least, let us be able to craft one then have one on the hud.

flaknugget
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Agreed.

A map would be great too, and to appease the post-apocalyptic purests, it could look like it was scratched into treebark with a rock, or something.

Hystarea
03-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Agreed.

A map would be great too, and to appease the post-apocalyptic purests, it could look like it was scratched into treebark with a rock, or something.

Their is a map, but its not IG its out of game.

robofriven
03-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I like not having an in game map, (Unless cartography is added which would be awesome if done right) but I do think that being able to make a compass would be amazing. I'm really tired of trying to figure out which way I'm going by determining which numbers are going up on the coordinates.

jumpshot
03-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I am against compasses.

Once I started learning to navigate by landmarks and learnign my area I felt really rewarded.

coca
04-21-2011, 08:26 AM
I would think that one should be able to be made..

MrDDT
04-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I would like to see a compass in game and remove loc.

Trenchfoot
04-21-2011, 11:38 PM
The current nav system is in fact more accurate than a compass. So accurate, that you can literally use it to call in a position for indirect fire. I know we don't have motars in the game yet (joke), but try that with a needle, cork, and oil compass and see how much easier it isn't.

Adding a compass only works if you take the cartesian coordinate system out like MrDDT said. Why downgrade? Wasn't living in a cave rustic enough for you?

dezgard
04-22-2011, 01:07 AM
The coordinate system has a 360o turn table you can get a north bearing from that :P

coca
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Honestly I am very dyslexic and I have a hard hard time with the coordinates. I can operate a boat using GPS all day long.. because I have a map that is relevant to the coordinates. I can get home using a compass... if you turned off the mapping feature of my gps and all I had was plot numbers and no bread crumb trail I would be lost. The map people have made out of game helps me a ton.. but flipping back kinda sucks... but atleast I make due with it.

Keeping up with the coordinates in my head just doesn't work for me. I have a pretty good sight memory and usually used places of intrest as refrences to where I was going with a general idea of the cords.

Azurfale
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I agree a cartography skill would be awesome. I imagine the biggest problem is the map is always changing and how would one go about skilling it up? (repeatedly make maps? or just by walking around exploring?)

I think that at low skill your map would be very basic (an 'X' for a city here a squiggly line representing a river or road there..) and as your skill got better the map would become more detailed. Perhaps if the map had a grid and for every new sector you entered, your skill would increase.

Niburu
01-12-2012, 01:14 PM
A cartogrphy skill will come....so its on the list.