PDA

View Full Version : Add queues, ban macroers, kick afkers

drbutchermd
03-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Viola! Lag fix. Expand from that.

Saolite
03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I would support banning macro users and auto-log-off people who are afk for a certain amount of time. The former because it would destroy the game. The latter because it can be used beneficially for all rather than a select group, while reducing load on the servers. It could also benefit everyone because if you forget you had the game on, your out in the wilderness -- no sense getting killed and stripped because you went out to lunch and forgot you had Xsyon open.

However, adding a que to the game would be slightly detrimental to overall progress. Rather than incorperating a fix like that, I would rather a more permanent solution be found, such as increasing the max stable amount of players on at any given time.

mrcalhou
03-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Instead of banning macroers, make the game less macro friendly.

Also, I've been kicked while Afk before, and I'm talking a few months ago when the servers were pretty stable, so I'd imagine that that is there.

Vadio
03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Queve is easy way to implement
Ban macroers more fast you can , because dont like play other macro fest
About AFK Auto logoff agre

jumpshot
03-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I like the route of fixing things that cause lag.

drbutchermd
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
stabilize the server, then nuetralize the lag.

MastaKane
03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm sorry to admit this to you look at the history of sandbox games with skill gains like those of Xsyon. Ultima Online and Darkfall are huge examples. Whenever you have a game with freedom like this some asshole will come along and macro it up and there is nothing an independent developer like this will be able to do about it.

Just being realistic, wish it wasn't this way.

Andro Bourne
03-15-2011, 10:47 PM
here is an idea... make a game that works instead of crying about "the problem is increased pop" when you make a game like this... it's kinda a givin to expect that is it not? specially when you knew it was a problem before release, releasing it anyways then using that excuse... just sayin. gg (speaking about the lag, hint hint)

chaosegg
03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Andro you need a nap or your chill pills? So angry.

But I can talk because I played the last 2 weeks through all sorts of good and bad server conditions, so right now all the QQ is just amusing me.

Andro Bourne
03-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Andro you need a nap or your chill pills? So angry.

But I can talk because I played the last 2 weeks through all sorts of good and bad server conditions, so right now all the QQ is just amusing me.

Yes because speaking facts is now QQ, nice work you seem to fit nicely in here with the other forum trolls keep up the good work.

Shaggy
03-16-2011, 01:08 AM
I vote to make all actions much more interactive to prevent macroing. For example, fishing is EXTREMELY easy to level up in one night with macros. Maybe when you get a fish to bite, you have to do some kind of interactive action to pull it in.

Liil
03-16-2011, 02:02 AM
I agree to the kicking of AFK players and macroers.

XeoStyle
03-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Sure, kick those AFK'ers, macroers .. w/e - You wont solve the lag problem by doing that. System resources are not an issue, it's database issues and poorly coding thats the main problem..

Sirius
03-16-2011, 03:34 AM
Heard a fascinating discussion in IRC about how it was macro'ers killing the server because of all those "game files" they alter! lol

marty
03-16-2011, 05:22 AM
How much of the lag is caused by the incredible attention to detail that niche MMO games like this always try to add that are actually an annoyance? Like everyone having to drink 10 times to get full? Or even the fact that there are 3 (and in the future, 5) gauges constantly running down that the client has to keep track of? Theres gotta be other repetitive actions that add to that too

I appreciate having to eat and drink in a game, it does add immersion. Fatigue bars aren't even new. But We're going to have comfort and more someday, and additional actions. Some people even want to make you have to take bathroom breaks!

bladra
03-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Don't run the website and a sand box
MultimSsive online on the same box.....the same shitty box

mindtrigger
03-16-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry to admit this to you look at the history of sandbox games with skill gains like those of Xsyon. Ultima Online and Darkfall are huge examples. Whenever you have a game with freedom like this some asshole will come along and macro it up and there is nothing an independent developer like this will be able to do about it.

Just being realistic, wish it wasn't this way.

Not true. Take fishing for example. Other games have made this macro-proof by making it slightly more interactive and variable. It's not rocket science. What gets macroed are key combinations that are repetitive and non-interactive. Pressing keys for the sake of pressing keys doesn't make a game fun.

Wasting time trying to detect macroing and kicking paying customers is a bad idea. Every dollar counts in an indy game. Making changes to the game to make it harder or less beneficial to macro is a better way to minimize it. You will never stop it completely.

Heard a fascinating discussion in IRC about how it was macro'ers killing the server because of all those "game files" they alter! lol

This is a whole other subject. I would venture to say more than half the people who play any game don't even know what a macro is in the first place, and even fewer would figure out how to script a decent one correctly. They imagine it like some kind of bot that is playing the game for people at high speed or something. Truth is, it has no more impact on the server than a regular player.

jumpshot
03-16-2011, 09:49 AM
macro witchhunt was annoying in DFO too

This game already gives limitted returns on macro'ing. You might get a headstart by macro'ing but you aren't going to gain a game breaking or even fight-winning advantage from it.

I'm sticking to my original answer to this thread, fixing the code that causes the lag is better than adding junk or splitting servers.