PDA

View Full Version : TAGS?

Nurah
03-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Pvp has been introduced and now there is the problem to know who is your enemy and who's not.
When will we able to see tags on characters?

StarvingSteve
03-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Hopefully never, ever.
If you don't know who's your friend and who's your enemy, you're doing it wrong.

Kiriath
03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Pvp has been introduced and now there is the problem to know who is your enemy and who's not.

Never, this is probaly an intentet counterbalance to the zerg. So get organised!

Dubanka
03-21-2011, 09:38 AM
i would just like to see, when you mouseover someone...

currently you just see toon name:

Dubanka

All i want to see is:

Dubanka
VD

i dont want to see some crest or colors or some gaudy overhead thing, or see it a mile away.

When i get close enough to identify a toon, i want to be able to see who they belong to.

Void425
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Stop trying to carebear the game. Have your tribe wear the same color when you fight so you can identify.

Vandali
03-21-2011, 09:39 AM
Theres already two threads about this subject in the suggestions pile, what are you mods paid for! ;)

caldrin
03-21-2011, 09:40 AM
it does need to made clear who is an enemy and who is not, afterall anyone could be wearing the same armor and colors as your mate so how are you suppose to know?

Sure pointing your mouse at a person does bring up the name but you gotta be very close. I know in real life i can spot mates from quite far away and spot people i dont like at the saem disatance lol.. to emulate this in game they need to do somthing.. sure tags might be going too far but somthing similar to darkfall would be good you still need to point your mouse at them but it can be done over a longer distance.

Nurah
03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
I've searched in 4-5 pages and did not find threads about tags (or did not see :)); I remember there was one, maybe is closed, don't know.
Btw, I know who are my mates, I can remember if some players are friendly or not, but I can't remember all names of all tribes/clans and new members that they get.

xyberviri
03-21-2011, 09:58 AM
I dont understand why people keep asking for this, basically you want to be able to pick your team mates out in a fight which will basially help with the zerg.

They should remove names from characters unless they Friend you. Wear the same colors, we dont need tags above characters.

it does need to made clear who is an enemy and who is not, afterall anyone could be wearing the same armor and colors as your mate so how are you suppose to know?

Sure pointing your mouse at a person does bring up the name but you gotta be very close. I know in real life i can spot mates from quite far away and spot people i dont like at the saem disatance lol.. to emulate this in game they need to do somthing.. sure tags might be going too far but somthing similar to darkfall would be good you still need to point your mouse at them but it can be done over a longer distance.

No No No, in real life you dont point to some one and there name pops up over there head.
In real life you walk in to a store and see your friend john and go "John, John.... Hey John" and then walk up to them and tap them on the sholder and then whey they turn around..... "hey wait your not john my bad"

the care bears need to stop carebearing up in the game.

You can spot them a mine away because you have good eye sight and know how they dress.

No No No, in real life you dont point to some one and there name pops up over there head.
In real life you walk in to a store and see your friend john and go "John, John.... Hey John" and then walk up to them and tap them on the sholder and then whey they turn around..... "hey wait your not john my bad"

You can spot them a mine away because you have good eye sight and know how they dress.

Phazaar
03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
you still need to point your mouse at them but it can be done over a longer distance.

I find it MASSIVELY inconvenient in terms of ambushes, but simultaneously, no thank you @ spotting people over a longer distance. Not least because target aquisition will get botted too easily (anyone remember when they put spotting into Battlefield? Spam Q -> map lights up with enemies... )... More importantly because it's not realistic.

What we need is a proper local chat that is literally hearing range dependent, preferably that doesn't even use character names (shouting 'Who goes there' should not reveal WHO you are, only WHERE you are), and as said, a tribe name when the name is in range. We have to accept that the graphics in this game are NOT realistic, so you cannot rely on your ability to recognise faces.

In reality we're programmed to know a person not just by their face but by the way they walk, even over half a mile. You can't use that in game, so we have to throw a tiny bit of realism out the window in the name of better gameplay, especially when people tend to never fare more than 10 seconds from their safe zone and declaring your presence in local chat or running over, waiting for the glitchy name tag to appear, then searching through a list of all friendly tribe members, BEFORE attacking, is kind of the best way of failing :/

xyberviri
03-21-2011, 10:06 AM

caldrin
03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
I dont understand why people keep asking for this, basically you want to be able to pick your team mates out in a fight which will basially help with the zerg.

They should remove names from characters unless they Friend you. Wear the same colors, we dont need tags above characters.

lol so in this game you can tell who your mates are by jsut looknig at them even if they are dressed exactly the saem as a person next to tem of imilar build ?

Sirius
03-21-2011, 10:30 AM
When i get close enough to identify a toon, i want to be able to see who they belong to.

Eh, all you really need to know is the list of names on our guild roster... :P

schlock
03-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Go sneak to all your neighbors totems and collect the names. Make a comprehensive list and post it on your tribes forums. Your tribe does have it's own forum, right?

Please don't dumb down the game with arena/fps style tags.

esudar
03-21-2011, 10:55 AM
carebears going crazy in here

maybe look at your allies before the fight and try to remember... its not that hrd

Phazaar
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM

maybe look at your allies before the fight and try to remember... its not that hrd

You're obviously a bit of a carebear if you think this is for organised fights (and you think organised fights aren't one day going to be hundreds of people on each side). As everyone says, when you're at war/in battle, armor/clothing/positions should be fine. The problem is when you're out solo or in a raiding party and you chance upon a random person half way through cutting down a tree. This could be an ally, it could even be a tribe member, but you're not going to know unless you run to within 5 metres, completely giving away your position, then spend an hour browsing through allied tribe members lists, by which point it's no longer an ambush and they're already in their safe zone again. In reality you have memory for thousands of faces, stances and gaits; this is -not- possible to emulate in a game of this type, and thus allowances must be made.

Go sneak to all your neighbors totems and collect the names. Make a comprehensive list and post it on your tribes forums. Your tribe does have it's own forum, right?

Please don't dumb down the game with arena/fps style tags.

We have lists of all friendly and enemy members. We don't have the time to compare. If we're already allowed to get their name without them giving it, and there's no way of them communicating without immediately revealing their name from ANY distance, we're already in acceptance that there are limitations within any game compared to reality. It's simply the smarter option to tag up, or perhaps actually MAKE it an option to show your tribe's tag.

Sirius
03-21-2011, 11:15 AM
then spend an hour browsing through allied tribe members lists

there's your problem -- right before your your very eyes, brosef

xyberviri
03-21-2011, 11:25 AM

In real life you walk in to a store and see your friend john and go "John, John.... Hey John" and then walk up to them and tap them on the shoulder and then whey they turn around..... "hey wait your not john my bad"

the care bears need to stop care bearing up in the game.

We should just be given the ability to tribe members to add symbols to clothing they wear. Let the crafters add more color to it what we can wear so you can see a tribe not there name.

There was some talk that if you wear your tribe colors you get bonuses.

I dont want to see peoples clans i dont want to see some guy named Chuck with Chucks magically store of stuff under his name. some clans are not clans but setup as trader outposts and never intend to be clans. you all need to grow some and realize that this game is not intended to be some carebear theme park.

NO Tags, NO NAMES unless they tell you. you can separete chat from the locallity.

Baldur
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I can tell who my friends are because I know what outfits they're wearing. If I see someone wearing something unfamiliar, I ask my tribe to see whether it's a friendly or enemy.

And that's the way it should be.

Phazaar
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
there's your problem -- right before your your very eyes, brosef

Hahaha I couldn't agree more, but non-aggression pacts are non-aggression pacts, and tribal leadership is tribal leadership :/ ... Both are to be honoured until they're afk ;)

Vicid
03-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Oh! If we need to choose colors to show tribe affiliation then VD chooses black. Anyone not in VD but wearing our color is now KOS!!!!

Dontaze_Mebro
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Once again Haven and Hearth tackles this problem very well. You have to friend people to identify them easily. I believe that you can figure out who someone is over time or with the help of a tracker as well

I personally don't want people to know my characters name unless I tell them or I'm identified through some type of forensics, tracking skill.

Phazaar
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Oh! If we need to choose colors to show tribe affiliation then VD chooses black. Anyone not in VD but wearing our color is now KOS!!!!

You wouldn't know ;) Hahahaha!

(I know I know, you know all your members... One day you'll regret making friends haha!)

Sirius
03-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Hahaha I couldn't agree more, but non-aggression pacts are non-aggression pacts, and tribal leadership is tribal leadership :/ ... Both are to be honoured until they're afk ;)

Sounds like your problem and your job, yet you're suggesting a change that will impact everyone and give significant advantages to zergs.

ifireallymust
03-21-2011, 12:16 PM

You mean anyone not in VD wasn't already KOS?

Kiriath
03-21-2011, 12:19 PM

hey hey hey, we dont want ppl to actually having to engage their brain at all when playing this game.

what we need is a function where whatever key you press, you perform a random action, that way the facerollers from this thread can do what they do best, and still play, roll their face all over their keyboards doing random shit.

edit; more on topic: another reason we dont want clantags etc in this game is that once we have em, the people crying in this thread will be crying about something else, like friendly fire or something like that. One step closer to boredom.

Soulwanderer
03-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree with adding the guild name to the mouse over. I don't particularly try to hide where I'm from, but if I kill you three times on the junk pile and you want to tear my guild's city down for it... unless you frequent the forums you're not going to know I'm with VD. Not having the guild listed removes accountability and therefore also removes player enforced consequences which I am definitely against. Reality be damned. I want a fun game.

Vicid
03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
You mean anyone not in VD wasn't already KOS?

They are... OK anyone not in VD and wearing black is not KOS until we read their name. After a 10 to 20 second review of the guild roster they may become KOS INSTANTLY!

Kiriath
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree with adding the guild name to the mouse over. I don't particularly try to hide where I'm from, but if I kill you three times on the junk pile and you want to tear my guild's city down for it... unless you frequent the forums you're not going to know I'm with VD. Not having the guild listed removes accountability and therefore also removes player enforced consequences which I am definitely against. Reality be damned. I want a fun game.

in your scenario a simple local request would prolly reveal your tribe.

Sirius
03-21-2011, 12:37 PM

it's called /who :P

no need for tags

Soulwanderer
03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
it's called /who :P

no need for tags

No need for the added difficulty imo. It's hard enough getting a view of names as is currently. I don't think it'd break anything to be able to identify who belongs to which tribe via seeing it rather than typing it.

bruisie159
03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
dont think we need this. I have just tried to get to know who lives nearby who they belong to and if they are friendly. If a stragenr appears im just cautious until i know their intentions. I prefer it that way.

jumpshot
03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I vote No to OP.

You either know/remember who somebody is, or you don't. Don't need to code in personal memory.

Chibi
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Pay attention to who you are working with

Or better yet, wear the same stuff.

Think the real life military has tags floating around their heads?
No, they most certainly do not. They wear uniforms.

If you have a suggestion about the game, you should prob post it in the suggestions forums

StarvingSteve
03-21-2011, 04:14 PM

That should be done with a tracking ability, not guild tags.

Think about it for a second - Hopi's alliance gets a little too big and disorganzied, so you fake the armor of one of their allies, walk right through the front gates and say "hi!", then load your bags with their stuff and walk away like nothing ever happened. Hilarious!

Of course, once they figure out that they got tricked, they should be able to track you down to figure out who did it.
But huge flashing guild tags over every player's head only takes away from the game without adding much. Same goes for the Alignment system btw, which I don't really like for similar reasons.

Soulwanderer
03-21-2011, 04:41 PM
That should be done with a tracking ability, not guild tags.

Think about it for a second - Hopi's alliance gets a little too big and disorganzied, so you fake the armor of one of their allies, walk right through the front gates and say "hi!", then load your bags with their stuff and walk away like nothing ever happened. Hilarious!

Of course, once they figure out that they got tricked, they should be able to track you down to figure out who did it.
But huge flashing guild tags over every player's head only takes away from the game without adding much. Same goes for the Alignment system btw, which I don't really like for similar reasons.

I enjoy tracking systems as well, and I'd be all for having one. For some reason it's a mechanic that not too many developers implement though. IMO, it's something that allows players to both ready themselves for defense as well as allowing other players to more easily hunt those down they choose to. To me that's a win in both categories, though my guess is that there will be some very vocal outcrying.

maelwydd
03-21-2011, 05:00 PM
3rd time I have posted in the same thread started by the same guild. And I thought zerging was only for PvP.

As before, use your brain, learn who your friends are, think before you act, perhaps even talk before you act.

But NO tags. Dumbs the game down.

Haunt
03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

If they hit you in the face with an axe, they are not your friend.

xyberviri
03-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Dude do you use Chat or Ventillo/Teamspeak.
I dont know how anyone plays any mmo nowdays with out VoIP

Vandali
03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
It's clear to see if you read the other two threads below that the majority of those who want the easy option when it comes to identifying somebody is clans that are already forming alliances, or tribes that have grown to big that they have no idea whose an enemy or not.
These are problems of their own making and problems large alliances/tribes should face, having numbers shouldn't be easy-mode and visible clan tags will make it that much more easier for tribes/alliances that choose this playstyle.

But there are other aspects that would get removed also, the ability to fight out numbered, if a colour is easily identifiable then mixing it with a large group is easier for them, the friend or foe tingle in your belly, surely everyone feels a little adrenaline when they don't know whose coming towards them? and my personal favourite, being able to dress in a tribes uniform(they will be a must eventually) for infiltration and general havoc to your enemy.

If there is to be some kind of identity system ever put in place that is different from now, then i'd like to think that Xsyon would be more creative than just a coloured name or the ilk.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/5678-Add-clan-tribe-tags!!

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/5680-Wanted-Diplomacy

caldrin
03-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Darkfall has it right when it comes to this.. you still ahve to get clsoe and mouse over the person but at least u can see if its an enemy or not quite easy.

In this at the moment its just seems the mouse over thing seems to really suck and you got to have the mouse pointer dead on them and be very very close. i dont have to wait until my m8 is standing right in front of me to be able to tell tis my 8 now do i, im not blind. I dont believe my character i blnid in game either so increase the distance you can see their names and make it easier for the naem to appear job done.. You still need to mosue over the person to see who it is. I dont want clan tags constantly over peoples heads or anything im fine with the mouse over but it just dont work well ni this atm... maybe its because all the lag will ahve ot wait and see if and when they sort it.

Vandali
03-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Darkfall has it right when it comes to this.. you still ahve to get clsoe and mouse over the person but at least u can see if its an enemy or not quite easy.

Most disliked the introduction of coloured names once it was implemented in Darkfall and in that game every race looks identical when wearing armours, in Xsyon it's actually pretty easy to recognize someone once you get use to their style, build, hair style etc.

Not knowing somebody in a tribe shouldn't be rewarded with a nice shiney tag above their heads so you can know they're friendly. ;)

caldrin
03-22-2011, 06:01 AM
People can wear exactly the same stuff no matter what tribe they are from, as soon as people figure out the best armor to use then we will all end up looking exactly the same exactly liek darkfall. At the moment im using some tailoring armor rubicon or somthign it has a mask that covers my face and a helmet, my mate in the same tribe who jsut happens to be of similar height and build also has the same mask/helmet if it wernt for the mish mash of other stuff we had on you would not really be able to tel lthe difference.

I think your the first person i came accross that didnt like it when they changed the colours in the darkfall tags.. tho i did see some complaints on the forums but it was somthing the majority of the people wanted.

coca
03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
This isn't even an issue... if you wanted to tell your clan apart you have 120938120938120389 combintation of clothing and armor.

Just pick one and make sure everyone has the same item and color.. say a grass hat.. or a red bandana or make everyone have the same pack.... if you want to do more then that. make a guild uniform.

I don't mind having a extra peice of clothing a guild mate could "embose" your clan tag on.. (the same tag that you pick for your totem) Perhaps this could even be a totem feature.. bring a specific clothing type or componeants to make a talisman or cape and it crafts one with your guild symbol on it also using your guild colors on the totem.

If you die the clothing isn't useable by anyone else or gets destroyed.

xyberviri
03-22-2011, 09:38 AM
People can wear exactly the same stuff no matter what tribe they are from, as soon as people figure out the best armor to use then we will all end up looking exactly the same exactly liek darkfall. At the moment im using some tailoring armor rubicon or somthign it has a mask that covers my face and a helmet, my mate in the same tribe who jsut happens to be of similar height and build also has the same mask/helmet if it wernt for the mish mash of other stuff we had on you would not really be able to tel lthe difference.

This instead of wasting resources on name tags fix other stuff. its fine the way it is. it takes work to figure out who a person is in the current system.

Also when you start fighting with other people this will affect them too. this shouldn't be able quick and easy war should be hard so that members will take friendly fire and such.

Making it easier to tell your friends apart will make it easier for your enemies to tell you apart and in turn kill you faster.

caldrin
03-23-2011, 01:29 AM
This instead of wasting resources on name tags fix other stuff. its fine the way it is. it takes work to figure out who a person is in the current system.

Also when you start fighting with other people this will affect them too. this shouldn't be able quick and easy war should be hard so that members will take friendly fire and such.

Making it easier to tell your friends apart will make it easier for your enemies to tell you apart and in turn kill you faster.

This is a game i dont want to have to work.. i want o have fun lol.. liekthe idea of the clan tag on amror or somthing tho :)

JCatano
03-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Give me Darkfall tags in Xsyon. They do it very well.

For the 9000th time: Real life does not apply in a computer game.

SlightlyEvil
03-23-2011, 03:26 AM
If you need a tribe name under the name of your target to recognize your own tribe members, I think you might need to socialize with them more :-p

Vandali
03-23-2011, 03:33 AM
If you need a tribe name under the name of your target to recognize your own tribe members, I think you might need to socialize with them more :-p

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A3fDDxReG18/SnopE2tso-I/AAAAAAAACM0/prjvMkkQ4GI/s400/thumbs-up.jpeg

ifireallymust
03-23-2011, 03:39 AM
This isn't even an issue... if you wanted to tell your clan apart you have 120938120938120389 combintation of clothing and armor.

Just pick one and make sure everyone has the same item and color.. say a grass hat.. or a red bandana or make everyone have the same pack.... if you want to do more then that. make a guild uniform.

I don't mind having a extra peice of clothing a guild mate could "embose" your clan tag on.. (the same tag that you pick for your totem) Perhaps this could even be a totem feature.. bring a specific clothing type or componeants to make a talisman or cape and it crafts one with your guild symbol on it also using your guild colors on the totem.

If you die the clothing isn't useable by anyone else or gets destroyed.

Better yet, choose two items of clothing, decide which gets your primary tribe color and which gets your secondary, and then have your tribe wear that. Makes it much less likely anyone will accidentally imitate it.

But the idea of an embossed clan tag is pretty neat, too. Although allowing it to be lootable and wearable would make for some interesting situations, as well.

coca
03-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Yeah that what I meant by saying make a guild uniform.... the combinations seem endless.
If its that big of a deal you can already have your members dress the same way to make the easily seen.