PDA

View Full Version : Errr is this another massive patch

mmogaddict
03-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Cause it sure seems to be taking it's time.

It also seems to be redownloading all the zone information.

What the hell is in it?

ModMunkir
03-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Updates will be posted later, this patch is 1.53Gigs

caldrin
03-23-2011, 06:39 AM
ah nice.. i see they hae been up all morning updating the server prob gone to get some sleep now.

unclean666
03-23-2011, 06:43 AM
yeah.....it downloaded fine but everytime i get to the chara select and click on it it crashes.

millsdo
03-23-2011, 06:44 AM
I am not a pessimist, but last time there was a massive patch the server was down for a day because of performance issues. Let's hope they got it right this time.

xenoclix
03-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Im curious now seeing this is a big patch :D. Always nice to see over 1Gig files being downloaded, makes the mind wonder whats in there. More map expanstions? More resources? Items? Bug fixes? New skills? Who knows :D

millsdo
03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
Mostly terrain and graphics fixes I would guess. I am sure there are bug fixes and playability issues addressed too but there were a lot of graphics and terrain downloaded when the patch started.

galagah
03-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Looking at some of the zone numbers on the updates , it looks as though some of the zones " in the mist " are being updated with this patch .........

I'm wondering if we're close to the mist receding a little ( or even if it already has with this patch ) , as i know Jooki is trying to push that as fast as possible to give more space for animals .

Naral
03-23-2011, 07:17 AM
I hope there will be good souls, like last time, to make a torrent of the patch.

Phazaar
03-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Will give baskets for life to anyone who uploads the patch to a SENSIBLE server - 30kbps is not an acceptable download speed for weekly patches of this size. I literally can't conceive why the devs don't just use torrents+hotfile+rapidshare, all of which they could upload to for free, or if they really wanted premium they could get it for, what? About 1/10th of the price of the server they have now?

gjunior123
03-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Im curious now seeing this is a big patch :D. Always nice to see over 1Gig files being downloaded, makes the mind wonder whats in there. More map expanstions? More resources? Items? Bug fixes? New skills? Who knows :D

The size will allways be 1.53 gig everytime they touch something on the map , so dont expect to much , it's a map update IMO.

Phazaar
03-23-2011, 08:30 AM
The size will allways be 1.53 gig everytime they touch something on the map , so dont expect to much , it's a map update IMO.

I was wondering that myself... Why not part the map out? Clearly within the xsip it is seperate, so why not just update seperate parts as necessary? :/

orious13
03-23-2011, 08:39 AM
I was wondering that myself... Why not part the map out? Clearly within the xsip it is seperate, so why not just update seperate parts as necessary? :/

Watch if they did that the update wouldn't work. You know there's gotta be a reason... either for time... or because shit can happen with software.

Phazaar
03-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Like when there was a really good reason why we got rolled back 18 hours?

Devs make oversights to make things simpler in their heads, even if the end user pays for it. That's why we have to alert them to obvious things. A single zone file probably made sense when they had a single zone. It doesn't any more, especially with their phenominally bad patch hosting.

Commissar123
03-23-2011, 08:50 AM
The magical regrowing trees of Xsyon.

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin.

To create your very own magical regrowing tree of xsyon, just add your local carebear clan's tears and "Poof" a tree of sheer beauty will suddenly spring forth from the ground right before your very eyes! But what is this?! Is this tree speaking? My giddy aunt, that tree really is speaking to us dearest Rupert!

"Balderdash!" Rupert cries out before letting out a loud guffaw in your direction. "Don't such a silly goose" he exclaims, "Trees can't talk silly!".

But Rupert was wrong. In the magical world of poofy magical instant growing trees of wonder in the fantastical and wonderfully fabulous world of Xsyon, trees really can talk and talk they certainly do!

"My name is Douglas Fir, nice to meet you all"
"It's ok friends, you can cut me down, I surely won't mind."
"Maybe you could make something extra special and useful from me, but not any weapons, weapons are bad and hurt people."
"It's ok if you destroy my stump, I will appear elsewhere in this magical world to spread joy and peace to all those around me"
"Hey, is the server lagging? It sure feels laggy today!"
"Did someone say a racist word, that sure is naughty, I dare say I will be reporting you!"
"Hey, I'm going to ignore that foul person again today, I just thought I'd let you all know!"

Douglas fir continued to talk for hours, soon he was joined by others and they began to talk. Before everyone knew it the entire area was filled with trees all talking. Rupert was became very cross.

"This all your fault you big cry baby!"

Rupert began cutting down the trees but it was no use. For every tree Rupert cut down, another one would appear magically right before his very eyes. The trees now began to bicker with each other over who is the most useful and being sure to mention lag at every opportunity.

Eventually sane citizens of xsyon became mad from not being able to do anything constructive and killed themselves. Some even murdered their entire families, hurling new born babies off cliffs into the great beyond. Others ventured into the green mist of doom to await their fate.

The carebears who started this whole mess left, despondent due to the lack of activities to pursue. For after you have built every log cabin and every tool due to a surplus of resources, there is surely nothing else to achieve!

As for Rupert? Who knows, there were rumours he requested a refund.

I do hope you enjoyed the wonderful story of the magical poofy trees of xyson. Let us all wish that this will never become a reality.

Belchonok
Xsyon updater getting stuck at "Analyzing files".

Win 7 Ultimate. Already tried running with admin rights.

jumpshot
That's why we have to alert them to obvious things.

I lol'd

(..........)

joecool87
03-23-2011, 08:51 AM
whats your d/l rate, mine is like 30kb/s

its gonna take me 8 hrs to finish the 864mb file...

can i just d/l the whole game back...since i can finish it in an hour

orious13
03-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Like when there was a really good reason why we got rolled back 18 hours?

Shit can happen with software.

A single zone file probably made sense when they had a single zone.

Time is money.

Both points proven right thar.

whats your d/l rate, mine is like 30kb/s

its gonna take me 8 hrs to finish the 864mb file...

can i just d/l the whole game back...since i can finish it in an hour

Dunno I started dload an hour ago and finished now. Didn't see the rate as it wasn't updating.

blackzilla
03-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Xsyon updater getting stuck at "Analyzing files".

Win 7 Ultimate. Already tried running with admin rights.

Its not stuck its downloading a 1.53GB patch give it a couple hours...

Phazaar
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Shit can happen with software.

Shit can happen with guns, but you still tell kids not to shoot eachother. Okay, depending on where you are in the world, maybe you don't. But where I come from, we do, so I'm going to keep pointing out obvious mistakes :)

Time is money.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here? That they should give partial refunds for ridiculous patch download times?... The xsip is essentially an archive file; there's no need to update every bit of data when only a few thousand have been changed. This would not only save US time, but also save their time in applying and testing large patches. Not a huge time-sink to implement, but a massive one to ignore. I can't even see why you're against the idea?

Both points proven right thar.

You have a -really- superfluous definition of 'proof.' I wouldn't even suggest my own points are proven, and I support them whole-heartedly. As to your blind, kneejerk responses? Wouldn't give the time of day to assessing if they were provable, let alone actually try and do it, if I were you...

Regardless of yours, or my personal download speeds, the point is that there are far more efficient ways of patching out improvements, and most of them would take 1/10th the time of the current method with no extra risk in implementation (see: rapidshare/hotfile etc. ). I quite like the idea that -everyone- be online an hour after servers come back up, not just those of us lucky enough to have server proximity or data prioritisation.

Niburu
03-23-2011, 09:33 AM
downloading since 2h, i demand a better speed :-(

The ones who already ingame, did anything noticeable changed ? For example durability on items or important stuff like that ?

jumpshot
03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I think I can alt-tab in fullscreen, maybe. Entities loaded faster (maybe?), FPS is still trash.

Although I crash when I try to turn the shadows off or the tree detail down. Be very careful what you do with the options!

EDIT: nope fullscreen alt-tab still borked.

Niburu
03-23-2011, 09:39 AM
I think I can alt-tab in fullscreen, maybe. Entities loaded faster (maybe?), FPS is still trash.

Although I crash when I try to turn the shadows off or the tree detail down. Be very careful what you do with the options!

Full Screen and be able to tab in and out of full screen is atleast something

caldrin
03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
I was hoping for an FPS fix as thats a game braker at the moment.

Belchonok
03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Its not stuck its downloading a 1.53GB patch give it a couple hours...

http://img.leprosorium.com/1093004.png
kinda strange way to show download progression then.

MrsCat
03-23-2011, 10:17 AM
The download patch seems to be taking too much time. (compared to; every other game patch I have had the displeasure of sitting threw) Honestly I don't have the patience for such things. "Show stopper". My experience thus far with this patch. Invalid archive issue, "retry" issue, "skip" issue, and finally the dreaded; "Is it patching at all and how can I tell that by the non discriminate green bar of light floating back and forth with a single sentence nearly mocking me with it's faint hint of anything actually being done... "Updating Data\Zone.xsip". Oh look it changed for a second but then back again to the same "Updating Data..." dialog.

nuf said? No not really...

I have the patience of a saint iw. It's the sitting out here, waiting to play; that I have very little use for. For me it's even less interest as to why exactly I cannot get my fun on this afternoon. In short I don't care why it's broken, I don't like it. Add to that the post about sending in info about why you cannot play...that is just bad zuzu.

"open open open"

...where is that warhammer shortcut....

coca
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM

Nope.. It's because instead of hot fixing a small problem they just recode over whole damn client and make you redownload it.. even if 95% of it was untouched.

Bad code and programing is the only reason this game lags.. it sure as hell isn't population or the 8bit double dragon graphics.

I enjoy this hunk oh shit game but this is rediculous. I hope this is atleast on a torrent by now.

grenoybel
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
For me alt-tab in fullscreen still isn't fix.

ayhanket
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Ok my internet connection isn't that awesome (2mb) but 3 hours of patching is insane.

I checked connection and seems patcher downloads with 30-50 kb/s. I could use a download program and get a speed of ~200 kb/s.

I liked game but if at every patch i'll have to leave pc for half a day, i better give up.

Niburu
03-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah its annyoing. iam in my 5th hour now and got 670MB umtil now -.-

jumpshot
03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
For me alt-tab in fullscreen still isn't fix.

Ya sorry I seemed to of jumped the gun there :/

Not for me either.

joecool87
03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
do not stop in the middle...it seems it doesnt save the downloaded part...we are in like 1980...awesome just awesome

Dade512
03-23-2011, 11:05 AM
It does save. Last patch I crashed about 3 times but it always picked up where it left off.

blackzilla
03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
I just started patching I will report back when im done, if it is 1.53GB I expect 2 hrs for me and that is average in my opinion....

caaahl
03-23-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm in my 3rd hour now.

768 MB of 1.53 GB

Niburu
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
I just started patching I will report back when im done, if it is 1.53GB I expect 2 hrs for me and that is average in my opinion....

i have a 1,6 MB/sec download, iam sitting on this patch since 3h, i downloaded 769MB in this time, thats around 50% ^^

niccoli00
Took about 45 minutes. But I've got a kick ass connection. /shrug

joecool87

restart a few time, the ETA will magically pop up

blackzilla
03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
your guys connections only count for half the issue here... I don't care you got a fiber connection if the server is on the other side of the world then your still going to get crap speeds, also, if a jabillion people are all downloading at the same time then you will also get less speeds than normal, too many variables for you all to cry that it sucks for speed. Us East Coast Canadians and Americans are downloading it in 1-2 hrs...point proven...

caaahl
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Us East Coast Canadians and Americans are downloading it in 1-2 hrs...point proven...

Xsyon patch system is racist! :o

PS: ib4 someone explains to all of us that "racist" is the wrong term... yadda yadda

Niburu
03-23-2011, 11:37 AM
hi kaupuuttmmaccchhaa ^^

caaahl
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
hi kaupuuttmmaccchhaa ^^

My cover is blown, damn'd.

Hey Niburu. ;)

Back 2 topic: yap, still patching...

YamiOkami
03-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if my patcher is getting stuck... i constantly seem to be stuck on updating data/zone.xsip every now and then it will change to something else and then go back... if i hit abort the patcher freezes and crashes..

Any idea if i am actually patching or not? Because i don't notice much difference when using the internet for other things.

Phazaar
03-23-2011, 11:49 AM
The patch server simply doesn't have the upstream it needs to if they are going to insist on rolling out 1.5 gigs of the same data each week. My server is located in the same city as theirs (I'm in the UK) and I download from it at about 1.5mb/s - 30kbps from their EU server or 20kbps from their US server is a complete joke.

Would love it if any of you lording it over us that by some miracle of luck you've already got the patch decided to do the decent thing and up it to an ftp or direct download site. Given that you got this patch in less than an hour, uploading a compressed version will not take much longer than that, and really won't impact your gameplay much either :)

Niburu
03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Still patching.....damn i have skills to skill and french people to kill ( ingame only ofc)

caldrin
03-23-2011, 12:03 PM
your guys connections only count for half the issue here... I don't care you got a fiber connection if the server is on the other side of the world then your still going to get crap speeds, also, if a jabillion people are all downloading at the same time then you will also get less speeds than normal, too many variables for you all to cry that it sucks for speed. Us East Coast Canadians and Americans are downloading it in 1-2 hrs...point proven...

still 1-2 horus for 1.5g is quite a long time for a decent net connection.. tho you are right its because there are so many people trying to get the patch at the same time i guess.

I'm not sure if my patcher is getting stuck... i constantly seem to be stuck on updating data/zone.xsip every now and then it will change to something else and then go back... if i hit abort the patcher freezes and crashes..

Any idea if i am actually patching or not? Because i don't notice much difference when using the internet for other things.

it does take ages to get past that bit :(

Niburu
03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/5835-Zone-file-Torrent?p=69842#post69842

MegaUpload file works perfect, only had to update an aditional 2MB. playing now

cliff
03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
The issue definitely seems to be that it downloads one patched file, and then adds it to the archive (the "updating data/zone.xsip" bit) - adding to the data archive is EXTREMELY slow, doing it as each file downloads is just not the best process for that. It would be far better to download all the files, and then add them to the archive in one pass.