PDA

View Full Version : Preparing the land beyond the green mist.

bruisie159
03-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Anounced redently by Jordy as one of the priorities being worked on right now. Is this really a priority? I feel like this should be further down the list right now and getting some more fatures switched on should be coming first.

A few weeks ago just before launch i think i would have been arguing for expansion but the way things stand it feels like less and less people are playing, even when running around populated areas for trade i only ever see a handful of people.

I say would say, after (or at the same time as) lag and optimisations (much better recently) what about getting animals working properly, i know this may be addressed with this patch, lets see! Decay ect needs to be working to ensure any kind of economy, get armour balanced properly to give it real use (weapons too) and what about comfort or something like that? A bit of fluff to keep people interested and maybe tempt a few to log back in?

Not a flame, performance has been gradually getting much better, apart from the crashes and loading entities! Just give us a bit more interesting stuff to do before expanding the lands.

jokhul
03-25-2011, 06:06 AM
Maybe Jooki needs the extra land space to make the animal spawn mechanics work ? It seems that the "high player population density" is not allowing animals to spawn and breed in the current playable area. Other than completely redesigning and recoding that system, increasing the land space may solve the animal issues.

Mystais
03-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Heaven forbid they actually work on multiple things at the same time.

I suppose their artists can work on the code and vice versa... boy wouldn't that be a hoot.

bruisie159
03-25-2011, 07:24 AM
Heaven forbid they actually work on multiple things at the same time.

I suppose their artists can work on the code and vice versa... boy wouldn't that be a hoot.

Actually, yes you can work on multiple things at the same time although each of those things will then take longer to finish obviously. SO, while i agree with you i also think its a bit irrelevant.

@ Jokhul - Yes that may be a legit reason.

Monfols
03-25-2011, 07:34 AM
don't forget that jookey has a lot of money now since the pre-order sessions were so successful.
he prob, has a lot of coders and artist now.

Salvadore
03-25-2011, 07:43 AM
+1 for them addressing unarmed combat in a quick fix.

-1 for adding space to an already huge map.

If they expand the green mist even farther, wouldnt the animals all just conglomerate there in the same way they do now? Will this not add lag and potentials of lag? Seems irrelevant at the moment to add land imo.

bruisie159
03-25-2011, 07:52 AM
don't forget that jookey has a lot of money now since the pre-order sessions were so successful.
he prob, has a lot of coders and artist now.

he communicated the fact that he employed 1 new programmer to work on combat

AlexTaldren
03-25-2011, 08:37 AM
We don't need an expanded map because there still isn't much to do. What we need are new features and a reworked combat system.

We need:

A semi-transparent box behind the chat window so it doesn't burn eyeballs.
Player names to be white with a black, semi-transparent box behind it so we can actually read them at night, etc.
A reworked combat system.
More animals in general and a functioning respawn system for them so they don't have to be reset by devs every two days.
The ability to shovel snow or at least "clear" snow.
The comfort bar to function so that buildings and campfires have a purpose.
For buildings we enter to become transparent when in third-person so that containers and players inside can interact with each other without having to go to first-person mode and battle the camera.
More "fire building" recipes such as placeable torches for lighting things at night.
A system for telling what tribe someone is a part of.
Preorder weapons to be removed as they ruin the balance of the game and make weaponcrafting largely useless.

Salvadore
03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
We don't need an expanded map because there still isn't much to do. What we need are new features and a reworked combat system.

We need:

+ A semi-transparent box behind the chat window so it doesn't burn eyeballs.
+ Player names to be white with a black, semi-transparent box behind it so we can actually read them at night, etc.
+ A reworked combat system.
+ More animals in general and a functioning respawn system for them so they don't have to be reset by devs every two days.
+ The ability to shovel snow or at least "clear" snow.
+ The comfort bar to function so that buildings and campfires have a purpose.
+ For buildings we enter to become transparent when in third-person so that containers and players inside can interact with each other without having to go to first-person mode and battle the camera.
+ More "fire building" recipes such as placeable torches for lighting things at night.
+ A system for telling what tribe someone is a part of.
+ Preorder weapons to be removed as they ruin the balance of the game and make weaponcrafting largely useless.

OH MY DEAR LORD, MARK IT DOWN....

I AGREE WITH A HOPI MEMBER!

Dont know weather to dance or /slit wrists

Completely agree with ALL

AlexTaldren
03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
OH MY DEAR LORD, MARK IT DOWN....

I AGREE WITH A HOPI MEMBER!

Dont know weather to dance or /slit wrists

Completely agree with ALL

Ha, it's bound to happen from time to time, right?

Anyway, if they rolled out a patch with these kinds of updates, I feel like the community would be more comfortable about the development of the game. And, a lot of these things are just UI changes, so there shouldn't be an excuse for them not happening sooner rather than later.

furanku
03-25-2011, 08:44 AM
I personally think that if they are expanding a game that already too big for everyone it will be, as if they are digging their grave. I mean so far everyone is so spread out all over the game world that interactions are already limited that people already wish for global chat back. With the population to the game already declining as much as it is don’t you all think that developing the zombies should be more of a priority than a land expedition, unless they came up with a reasonable reason why they are doing? I don’t mean to judge and all but this does seem like a stupid move for development, maybe they could tweak the crafting to be more in-depth we already have to wait for the new guy to join to fix combat so why not start fixing everything else maybe add Mining, or I dunno make Terraforming more interesting adding new tweaks to it, like placing rocks or a bigger Leveling Terraforming Button, then our single square stuff. I have 90 Terraforming like everyone else in the game why not make buttons for like 5 digs deep terra forming…. Something please anything but more land.

bruisie159
03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
haha i too was surprised a hopi member agreeing especially the "there is nothing to do" comment!

TheDevil
03-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I ran across the map looking for anyone last night. Found nobody outside of their safezone. Spent 2+ hrs. ( This is why I quit Darkfall )

The map is far too big for the ACTIVE game population already. Remove totems placed by inactive players and people who got refunds.

Please look into how darkfall failed due to its massive map size and low population and rethink this. Have your artists work on making new models for future features.

Dontaze_Mebro
03-25-2011, 08:58 AM

We need:

A semi-transparent box behind the chat window so it doesn't burn eyeballs.
Player names to be white with a black, semi-transparent box behind it so we can actually read them at night, etc.
A reworked combat system.
More animals in general and a functioning respawn system for them so they don't have to be reset by devs every two days.
The ability to shovel snow or at least "clear" snow.
The comfort bar to function so that buildings and campfires have a purpose.
For buildings we enter to become transparent when in third-person so that containers and players inside can interact with each other without having to go to first-person mode and battle the camera.
More "fire building" recipes such as placeable torches for lighting things at night.
A system for telling what tribe someone is a part of.
Preorder weapons to be removed as they ruin the balance of the game and make weaponcrafting largely useless.

I agree with everything but being able to tell what tribe someone is with. If you want to know ask or do some research. I have a nice collection of totem screenshots you could buy off me.

Redus
03-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I ran across the map looking for anyone last night. Found nobody outside of their safezone. Spent 2+ hrs. ( This is why I quit Darkfall )

So you did find people, just inside there save zone with is pretty logical at this point as everyone is building and terraforming and there really is not reason to leave you save zone right now. If they want to remove the save zones the maps need to be bigger. We have bigger tribe pretty close to ours and this is not a problem, we are in general getting along with them fine.

The reason I think Wurms Online PvP works and maybe as well that of darkfall is that you do not bump into someone trying to kill you every 5 minutes. A big map is good. I just hope he will as well implement regional resources to force trade between the tribes.

I agree with everything but being able to tell what tribe someone is with. If you want to know ask or do some research. I have a nice collection of totem screenshots you could buy off me.

That would not work in large scale PvP or if the game becomes larger (population wise) and asking kinda is pointless "Oh are you our enemy?". I do however do not want a tag that shows enemies however would love to be able to see who is in my tribe and alliance.

Lily
03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
... don’t you all think that developing the zombies should be more of a priority than a land expedition, ...

Zombies as a priority ...

*sigh*

joexxxz
03-25-2011, 01:24 PM

We need:

+ A semi-transparent box behind the chat window so it doesn't burn eyeballs.
- Player names to be white with a black, semi-transparent box behind it so we can actually read them at night, etc.
+ A reworked combat system.
+ More animals in general and a functioning respawn system for them so they don't have to be reset by devs every two days.
+ The ability to shovel snow or at least "clear" snow.
+ The comfort bar to function so that buildings and campfires have a purpose.
++ For buildings we enter to become transparent when in third-person so that containers and players inside can interact with each other without having to go to first-person mode and battle the camera.
+ More "fire building" recipes such as placeable torches for lighting things at night.
- A system for telling what tribe someone is a part of.
?? Preorder weapons to be removed as they ruin the balance of the game and make weaponcrafting largely useless.

+ plus for agree, - not agree ?? - not sure

robofriven
03-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Everyone keeps complaining about the lack of animals then the second animals are brought into the game people go out and slaughter them all wholesale. The system of animals in this game is supposed to be based off of real life, ie breeding which requires there to be some left. Increasing the map size will allow for more space for players and animals to be. (My area that I settled in where I had only one neighbor has now turned into five in my immediate area, and I'm not even by the lake) Now that the lag is going away we are going to need more space for people to spread out to, with huge population centers growing as they are. (We might all be in tents, but everyone is in a pretty small area) there is no room for animals to live and propagate. Expanding the map would be a huge amount of the fix for animals, which really needs to be near the top of the list of things that need fixing (after lags and crashes and whatnot) since there's a whole profession out there that really can't do it's thing due to the lack of animals, even if they travel to the middle of nowhere there's none to be found.

There are other things that need to be done too, I honestly would really love to see a way to chat with people within talking range without having to hope that the person is looking at the 9 zone wide general chat, but to say that they need to not worry about expanding the map but focus on animals instead is kinda odd.

The map is far too big for the ACTIVE game population already. Remove totems placed by inactive players and people who got refunds.

Please look into how darkfall failed due to its massive map size and low population and rethink this. Have your artists work on making new models for future features.

So you're saying the map is too big because you couldn't find anyone you could randomly kill? How does that make sense?

LordTenacious
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
That would not work in large scale PvP or if the game becomes larger (population wise) and asking kinda is pointless "Oh are you our enemy?".

Just because you and your buds are horrible and unorganized doesn't mean the rest of us are.

furanku
03-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Zombies as a priority ...

*sigh*

Have you ever seen the movie

Ahhhhhhhh Zombies ? its epic

MastaKane
03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Expanding the game map is a complete waste of time. Like the other guy said Darkfall failed because people had to spend too much time looking for other people. This game has no mode of instant transportation to hot zones. Why would you increase the game map when your current population is leaving daily, and not because they think the map is too small.

jokhul
03-26-2011, 04:25 AM
Expanding the game map is a complete waste of time. Like the other guy said Darkfall failed because people had to spend too much time looking for other people. This game has no mode of instant transportation to hot zones. Why would you increase the game map when your current population is leaving daily, and not because they think the map is too small.

If people in Xsyon spread out all over the map (so they can get away from other players), and then complain that they "can't find anyone to fight", it will be their own stupidity that causes them to quit :D

Darkfall had fixed settlement locations, and on a large map that can definitely cause problems when the population drops. But in Xsyon YOU choose where you want to settle your tribe.

Larsa
03-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Oh, the irony.

Only two weeks ago or so people have been crying and ranting that the map is too small, that they cannot find a junk pile, that the homesteaders would have too much land, even that they would grieve the big tribes with their tiny totems. Now we're back to rant time, suddenly the map is too big, there are too many junk piles and not enough players around.

As usual, both players and developers have shown their misjudgement.

The players: powerlevelling and macroing their skills into the sky, macroing their village up in no time (don't ask me how many limestone brick macros ran during the last two weeks, I don't know), joining the big self sufficient tribes and making a wasteland of many regions near the lake.

The developers: making a panic-induced (i.e. unnecessary) new distribution of junk piles in the mountains, having too few resources in the wilderness that cannot be found near junk, having far too few needed regional resources and having a crafting system that relies far too heavy on junk.

I'll vote for a server wipe with the original map (before the new junk piles gave junk to everybody), with new regional resources and an overhaul of the resources for the crafting system. :cool:

While we're at it you can also introduce that there will be not a single fish and a single edible plant within a distance of 100 meters from a junk pile.

jokhul
03-26-2011, 06:35 AM
Oh, the irony.

Only two weeks ago or so people have been crying and ranting that the map is too small, that they cannot find a junk pile, that the homesteaders would have too much land, even that they would grieve the big tribes with their tiny totems. Now we're back to rant time, suddenly the map is too big, there are too many junk piles and not enough players around.

As usual, both players and developers have shown their misjudgement.

The players: powerlevelling and macroing their skills into the sky, macroing their village up in no time (don't ask me how many limestone brick macros ran during the last two weeks, I don't know), joining the big self sufficient tribes and making a wasteland of many regions near the lake.

The developers: making a panic-induced (i.e. unnecessary) new distribution of junk piles in the mountains, having too few resources in the wilderness that cannot be found near junk, having far too few needed regional resources and having a crafting system that relies far too heavy on junk.

I'll vote for a server wipe with the original map (before the new junk piles gave junk to everybody), with new regional resources and an overhaul of the resources for the crafting system. :cool:

While we're at it you can also introduce that there will be not a single fish and a single edible plant within a distance of 100 meters from a junk pile.

Yup, knee-jerk reactions by the dev's to forum tantrums seldom go well...

And players are very adept at spinning doomsday scenario's based on their own perceptions of "what everyone will do".

But I like that idea of limiting edibles near junkpiles. My tribe would then have to trade for fish, but I don't think that "junk for fish" would be a very hard sell :D