PDA

View Full Version : Seriously why no map, or compass

santoclawz
03-25-2011, 06:46 PM
It boggles my mind that my character runs around knowing his exact coordinates, to the decimal i might add, without any form of reference no map no grid, it makes 0 sense. anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

orious13
03-25-2011, 06:48 PM
There almost wasn't going to be coords at all. That would have been the ultimate immersion hmm? Just be glad you have something now.

A new system to take place of those coords IS coming, but probably way later... way way later after more important things are in place.

santoclawz
03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
fair nuff but i think it would only make sense that toolcrafters should be able to make a compass... i mean we all emerged from this great mystery as adults. also we are around touristy talke tahoe why would we find all sorts of crafting recipes and no old maps, i would imagine there would have been tons of maps sold in the region before the apocolypse

Dade512
03-25-2011, 06:56 PM
I put a suggestion (http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/5525-Toolcrafting-Compass) in for player crafted compasses. I think they would be very handy. I don't mind not having a map, I've gotten used to that.

santoclawz
03-25-2011, 07:00 PM
not having a map isnt a problem to me its just difficult to imagine a decent reason we dont have 1

savageasf
03-25-2011, 07:26 PM
there are books of cartography in the game data so maybe it will be a skill down the road?

Dade512
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
I hope so, that could be a fun skill. Exploring and creating a map...

Killarai
03-25-2011, 11:29 PM
My question is, if we can't have a map in-game, why do we have one outside of it?
We're not going to abide by any in-game immersion rule to not look at the map outside of the game, so why bother even neglecting it?

If we don't get an in-game map, just delete all traces of the map on the web and we'll call it immersion.

santoclawz
03-26-2011, 12:32 AM
The apocalypse happened and people became retarded.

i guess so we havent even learned to cook yet 0.o

mantoe
03-26-2011, 01:03 AM
The apokyclypse happened and we all ended up with grid based gps coordinate systems in our heads..

fixted it...

caldrin
03-26-2011, 01:18 AM
fixted it...

lol

YEah hopefully they will bring map skills into the game..

Redus
03-26-2011, 01:46 AM
there are books of cartography in the game data so maybe it will be a skill down the road?

According to the feature page one of the totem quest feature would be exploring. So I think it might later be possible to create your own maps. Would be a cool feature!

Larsa
03-26-2011, 03:43 AM
fair nuff but i think it would only make sense that toolcrafters should be able to make a compass... There already is a compass in the game. It even shows you true North, a compass would only show you magnetic North. :cool:

d3m0nd0
03-26-2011, 03:53 AM
The clouds always move north, so in a sense you already have a compass. Just look up. :)

Risk
03-26-2011, 03:53 AM
Simple....
Its year 2036..if i remember correctly...
end of world was 2012..

Most magnets from the old world would have nulled..
Sure the tattered remains of old maps might exsist....we call em google outside of RP..
OOC) Just use the wonderful map made by one wonderful man...cant find it on forum? just google it...

Redus
03-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Simple....
Its year 2036..if i remember correctly...
end of world was 2012..

Most magnets from the old world would have nulled..
Sure the tattered remains of old maps might exsist....we call em google outside of RP..
OOC) Just use the wonderful map made by one wonderful man...cant find it on forum? just google it...

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/2977-Starting-Points-Map

There is also a better high resolution map somewhere, but this is good for getting around zonewise. The other map does show how much the game world (from what I have seen) does resemble what the world looks like. Really really well done!

grimben
03-26-2011, 04:32 AM
There are no compasses because the nuclear devastation that caused the green mist wiped out the earth's magnetic field.

Duh.

Risk
03-26-2011, 05:05 AM
Grim!
Great idea..but yet unconfirmed by the devs...
Still crossin my fingers on mutants over zombies...now THATs one old debate Sonne would be into hehe

Added after 29 minutes:

In the game data files there are "Books" listed, and one of the collections is titled "Cartoghraphy". Who knows what that will be ? Or even if it ever WILL be ?

aye theres also skills for flying and shooting firebolts..

We're walking where we know for now hehe

sloffe
03-26-2011, 06:10 AM
It easy to navigate, just remember that moss grows on the south side of the trees, oh wait everyone s cut down all the trees. duh! :)

psyrox2k
03-26-2011, 06:47 AM
You guys forgot some simple issues that might make it hard to mini map, then again it might update as the world does, terra forming will constantly change the map, and take away a bit of realism. Some games need to remove some realism for fun factor imo though. Anyways I would assume it also takes some time to map out a functional minimap, maybe I'm wrong. The compass would be a lot simpler to implement though. As stated above I'm sure they have bigger issues to work on at the moment, video issues, some lag issues they are working out, the PVP system, and some of the features not turned on yet. I'm sure once most of the important issues are addressed, we will start seeing more content appear, and the fact we have a green mist around us leaves plenty of new content to come into play with the same story line.
Also the fact you can do so much in the game shows me the devs put a lot of thought into everything, it just takes a while to get ideas from paper working properly in a mmo. Tons of work goes behind the design, the engine, the graphics, animations, sounds, and making it all work together and look proper, add the fact you can terra form land, and the realism of trees staying down once cut, and that opens up a can of bugs to deal with.
Thank about it =)

defiler
03-26-2011, 06:56 AM
holding hands & training wheels & pacifiers are all great things too

VeryWiiTee
03-26-2011, 07:03 AM
My question is, if we can't have a map in-game, why do we have one outside of it?
We're not going to abide by any in-game immersion rule to not look at the map outside of the game, so why bother even neglecting it?

If we don't get an in-game map, just delete all traces of the map on the web and we'll call it immersion.

Because some player has been nice enough to sit down and actually bothre to create a map for you to use..
It isn't from any official side as of yet.

scambammer
03-26-2011, 07:14 AM
I like this feature.....smart people learn the navigation system while 'mmo vets' used to following their arrows, beacons, icons on minimaps, hitting 'follow' and lettting your friend run, clicking highlighted npc name and letting your toon autorun all the way there, all end up lost in the woods like a bunch of nubs..

I find it ironic that I've been my tribe's scout/scavenger/trader/diplomat (so I'm rarely at my camp)I know my neighborhood w/out even looking at the co-ords....while forum posters w/ a 1 year under their belt that do nothing but grind in their safe zone try to run to my camp, in what would take me 10 min, and end up getting lost for 3 hrs due to the 'darn no map or compass bs'.....it makes me LOL!!

Sirius
03-26-2011, 07:41 AM
There almost wasn't going to be coords at all. That would have been the ultimate immersion hmm? Just be glad you have something now.

A new system to take place of those coords IS coming, but probably way later... way way later after more important things are in place.

This is really quite a pointless response to OP's correct observation. There are coords, thus there should be a compass pointer. It's just a matter of basic convenience and not forcing players to do stupid tricks just to play the game.

Further, we both know the game would be pretty stupid without any coords at all. The devs might as well force players to type their chat in hexadecimal, or just eliminate all in-game communication entirely.

I like this feature.....smart people learn the navigation system while 'mmo vets' used to following their arrows, beacons, icons on minimaps, hitting 'follow' and lettting your friend run, clicking highlighted npc name and letting your toon autorun all the way there, all end up lost in the woods like a bunch of nubs..

I find it ironic that I've been my tribe's scout/scavenger/trader/diplomat (so I'm rarely at my camp)I know my neighborhood w/out even looking at the co-ords....while forum posters w/ a 1 year under their belt that do nothing but grind in their safe zone try to run to my camp, in what would take me 10 min, and end up getting lost for 3 hrs due to the 'darn no map or compass bs'.....it makes me LOL!!

Not sure what the point of your comment is. I haven't heard anyone complain that they can't learn the nav system or can't find their way around .. (and FWIW, "lost for 3 hours" is obviously BS you made up) .. It's just that it's stupid that the game would lack such a basic feature.

jokhul
03-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Having a static map ingame will be just as useful as having a static map outside the game. Just print the map and keep it handy next to your keyboard, problem solved !

It still won't help you determine WHERE on that map you are at any given moment, so there is no loss of immersion at all.

Hell, in Mortal Online there's no ingame map or compass or even onscreen co-ords ! You get to know the landmarks, and then you never get lost.

redrazor
03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
God forbid you people from getting lost in a game that promotes exploration...

Sirius
03-26-2011, 08:16 AM
God forbid you people from getting lost in a game that promotes exploration...

Great point. Eliminate the coordinate system, then!

I'm sure the game's awesomeness will be duly enhanced.

Killarai
03-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Having a static map ingame will be just as useful as having a static map outside the game. Just print the map and keep it handy next to your keyboard, problem solved !

If that's the case, then there's no fault in having one in-game as well.

redrazor
03-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Eliminating the Coordinates? Fine by me...

Just dont take away the clouds. That way I'll get lost too...

Sirius
03-26-2011, 09:29 AM
They also need to make it so that the cloud direction is constantly changing. The way it is now is completely unrealistic.

santoclawz
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM

your post makes me laugh, no one at all said the current system of navigation was hard, yet you are so self involved you see this as an opportunity to assert your smartness on us, /golfclap If you are gonna post in a thread at least read it so you dont look like a fool.

ifireallymust
03-26-2011, 11:10 AM
They also need to make it so that the cloud direction is constantly changing. The way it is now is completely unrealistic.

Not really, it's a rare wind where I live that doesn't blow from southwest to northeast.

I'm also the most directionally challenged person I've ever met, and I still manage to find my homestead after a moderate amount of wandering around lost. So while cartography would be a fun skill, especially for someone like me, who goes exploring a lot, I can live without it.

Sirius
03-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Like everyone else posting on this subject, I am capable of navigating using the current crap system. I'm not sure why people keep feeling the need to let everyone know that they are capable of navigating using the current crap system. It should be painfully obvious that that's not what this post is about.

Regardless: the wind does not blow in "true compass directions", nor does it uniformly blow in the same direction all the time. The idea that the wind constantly and unchangingly blows true north is extremely unrealistic. And even THIS is irrelevant to the post topic, which, as you should be able to tell by reading the title, is that it's stupid that there's no compass or map in a game that has GPS geolocation ability, with accuracy down to the hundredth of a meter.

scambammer
03-26-2011, 04:38 PM
your post makes me laugh, no one at all said the current system of navigation was hard.....

It is very easy to read between the lines of this thread....why else would people ask for navigation system change if for no other reason than 'ease of use'?....

You don't have to physically say 'This navigation system is hard to use and I needlessly get lost.' for it to be inferred in reading this thread.....

If the navigation system wasn't a problem then why even write this thread?.....so give me a break and learn to take meaning from what you read.

Sirius
03-26-2011, 06:02 PM
tedious != challenging

Nobody finds it hard. They find it pointlessly annoying.

The interface could require you to hit two keys in rhythmic sequence in order to walk forward, for the sake of "realism", but that would be silly too.

billpaustin
03-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok, the obvious things:
1) introduce a map skill called mapmaking, higher skill means better maps
2) introduce all the necessary items: maps, skiill books, etc
3) introduce a compass-making craft, along with the books, mats, etc
4) maps have to be renewed to be updated. They won't show new stuff like terraforming unless you survey again.
5) remove coords system
6) make clouds change direction randomly, or with storms and fronts

orious13
03-26-2011, 07:20 PM
This is really quite a pointless response to OP's correct observation. There are coords, thus there should be a compass pointer. It's just a matter of basic convenience and not forcing players to do stupid tricks just to play the game.

Further, we both know the game would be pretty stupid without any coords at all. The devs might as well force players to type their chat in hexadecimal, or just eliminate all in-game communication entirely.

He said "It boggled his mine how come characters know exact coords"...

I said that previously the coords weren't going to even be there until people didn't like that (for obvious reasons).

Then I said the devs want to change it... in other words the coords right now are a placeholder, which is a change that is probably very very low on priority.

Don't know why you think what I said was pointless.

chaosegg
03-27-2011, 01:14 AM
What's that you say? Immersion ruined by coordinate system?

How about the 9-zone general chat while we are pointing out problems with immersion.