PDA

View Full Version : Server downtime

wolf_rt
04-06-2011, 01:33 AM
The server will be down for regular maintenance
Monday-Friday 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM PST.
(10:00 AM to 11:00 AM UTC).

Read this just now.. Is it planned that this will continue indefinatley?

If so it is certainly a game breaker for myself and my partner.. I left EVE because of the 1 hour regular downtime right in the middle of my play time. EVERY DAY...

When the server goes down for an hour while your playing the game, EVERY DAY it becomes very frustrating.. you cannot get involved in the game, you find something else to do.. you dont come back to the game after DT, your subscription expires ect..

If regular maintance cannot be rotated around to diffrent time zones, myself and many other Australians will end up leaving the game, not because the game is unenjoyable but because your relaxing gaming experiance to unwind after work is interupted every day..

If there was a 1hr DT on sat/sun it wouldn't worry me because i can play the hours i want on the weekend. during the week i have only 4hr period i can play.. if the server is down for 1 hr in the middle of this period every work day.. i will find something else to ammuse myslef.

which is a pity as the game is great even with broken PVP and no animals etc.

can the DT not be moved according to a schedule? even if AUS ends up copping it 2/3 of the time would be better than this.

Plague
04-06-2011, 01:36 AM
+1. Don't make this a neverending downtimes as it kills immersion.

Sionate
04-06-2011, 01:39 AM
"If regular maintance cannot be rotated around to diffrent time zones, myself and many other Australians will end up leaving the game, not because the game is unenjoyable but because your relaxing gaming experiance to unwind after work is interupted every day..

If there was a 1hr DT on sat/sun it wouldn't worry me because i can play the hours i want on the weekend. during the week i have only 4hr period i can play.. if the server is down for 1 hr in the middle of this period every work day.. i will find something else to ammuse myslef."

I am also an aussie if we can stagger this arround the timezones that would be brilliant I know we arnt your main playerbase but i am sure a compromise can be agreed to. Btw just a question to this aussie above me how arre your ping and loading times like?

JCatano
04-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Damn those games hosted here in North America! o.O

mmogaddict
04-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Add me to the list, I've got two accounts and this is right in the 7pm - 8pm Australian East Coast Primetime. I'd suggest going back to your 6am PDT timeframe.

6am PDT = 11pm AEST = 1pm UTC = 2~3pm Euro Summertime (BTW I'd suggest the Devs learn to tell the difference between PST, PDT, UTC and other time zones.) If in doubt go google it or visit a site like http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

For instance your current message should read 'Monday-Friday 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM PDT (9:00 AM to 10:00 AM UTC) (7:00 PM to 8:00 PM AEST)'

rickle44
04-06-2011, 02:08 AM
mmogaddict is correct...you took the server down at 0900 GMT/UTC...not 1000

dezgard
04-06-2011, 02:09 AM
I'll look into staggered down times for the maintenance of the server.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

wolf_rt
04-06-2011, 02:09 AM
i would be happpy enough to have it at this time perhaps 1/3 of weekdays? i know this is probably the slowest time hence why maintenance is scheduled then... but please move it around a bit... and not from 7pm to 9pm +10
gmt like eve for gods sake...

btw ping is ~200-240.. Entity loading has been long for the last couple of days, game is stable and lag free.

Edit: very gratifying to have a prompt response from a dev on this issue.

kiwiitis
04-06-2011, 02:14 AM
I'll add to this 9:00 pm to 10:pm if tonight's downtime is the one to go by? 2 a/c's btw.

Does not effect me too much as I can vary my playtimes but I feel for my Aussi cousin's.

Jizel
04-06-2011, 02:15 AM

:) groovy muffins

JCatano
04-06-2011, 02:17 AM

Don't do it in NA primetime, or I'll bitch like an Aussie!

mmogaddict
04-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Hmm what about earlier? Maybe midnight PDT? That would be :

PDT Midnight - 1am
EDT 3-4am
UTC 7-8am
BST 8-9am (London)
CEST 9-10am (Paris etc)
China 3-4pm
AEST 5-6pm
NZ 7-8pm

JCatano
04-06-2011, 02:27 AM
MST and PST people would love that... Or not. :)

Stevro
04-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Lol im in Perth and I say just do it same time as Darkfall does 4:30am Pacific time , that is 7:30 pm here and thats a great time i think. just my oppinion

blackzilla
04-06-2011, 04:41 AM
btw ping is ~200-240.. Entity loading has been long for the last couple of days, game is stable and lag free.

My loading entities when logging into the game is very short, like 1-2 minutes max, ping is stable at about 40-60ms and have minimal lag. Been this way for me for weeks. The only time I get longer than normal 'loading entities' is upon death respawn.

xyberviri
04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
i would be happpy enough to have it at this time perhaps 1/3 of weekdays? i know this is probably the slowest time hence why maintenance is scheduled then... but please move it around a bit... and not from 7pm to 9pm +10
gmt like eve for gods sake...

Edit: very gratifying to have a prompt response from a dev on this issue.

The game is stable and lag free for you, there is minmum population on at that time of day. i know because i normally player between 4:00PM-4:00AM my time, dam i just realized thats half my day, but up until around 10:00pm my time its iffy.

pyrate
04-06-2011, 10:58 PM
As an Australian I actually find it going down at 6:30 PM here quite good. The timing is perfect to go off and have something to eat. It is a much better time then before when the server was being taken down at times between 9pm and 11pm.

Daylight savings just ending is a help though, if it was not for that then the time would be 7:30 PM, which would get a bit annoying for tue Australians who have come home from work, had dinner with the family and sat down to play only to have the server go down.

mmogaddict
04-07-2011, 04:18 AM
Server is currently going down 7pm to 8pm East Coast Time, That's Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

6:30pm is only for Adelaide.

Tandarie
04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Uh my only question is why the hell do we need maintenance every day???? Baffling. I have never seen a game take down the servers every day. The most I have seen is 2 times a week.

Shoot yourself in the foot much?

VesNL
04-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Uh my only question is why the hell do we need maintenance every day???? Baffling. I have never seen a game take down the servers every day. The most I have seen is 2 times a week.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Downtime

There are more games then you think that are doing this, most of the time the downtime is less then 1 hour anyway

MrDDT
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Most games Ive played have this. I dunno what you are talking about. Also whether or not they have it each day isnt the question. They need it once a day thus they want to do it once a day.

JCatano
04-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Games with large, seamless maps are the ones that usually need daily maintenance, although ones with zones still need it if they have large clusters. Not having a daily maintenance for these games would be like refusing to defrag your home PC for about 5 years.