PDA

View Full Version : Calling all homesteaders - Building Homestead City

Plague
04-17-2011, 06:24 AM
The world is too big for current number of people. We are scatered all over and trade and cooperation almost do not exist. Tribes are ruled by few and freedom within a tribe is usually non existant, you either go out and do something solo, or pretend to pvp by runing around and finding no one or you terraform huge towers and dig huge holes to realize dreams of tribal leaders and not your own.

This is why I suggest building a homestead city. All it takes is all homesteaders who are interessted to move to the same location and start fresh.

Advantages of homestead city:

- Social > We get to see players all the time
- Economic > We get to trade with each other in matter of minutes and not hours. Need baskets? Someone has got them. Need tools? Someone will trade you. Need recipes? Someone has got them. With 20+ totems on the same spot quest browsing becomes interessting and sometimes needed.
- PVP > Homestead city is bound to become a target for pvp raids by those who are believe that current system is pvp suitable. If you want to take part in PVP you put up your armor and hunt pvpers away from our city. You don't? Stay in your territory. Homestead city can organize patrols, hunting parties, we don't need a tribe be working together.
- Territorial and resources > 20 homesteads take a lot of nice ground, more then one tribe with 20 members. 50 homesteads make even more. By doing that we can cover junkpiles, tree areas, water, sand... Resources can be covered by someone and traded for what someone else has covered. You got sand? Someone else has got leather.
- Wood > Talked about this before but I need to mention trees as well as soon there will be no trees left in the vicinity of homestead city, as it happened with any big settlement. This is why we can organize wood gathering parties providing pvp protection and looking for wood while having fun at the same time.
- Architectural > Most tribal lands look like too uniform, booring and if they were created by megalomaniac egomaniacs, resemble military camps more then settlements for humans who try to survive. With many homesteads it would be a much nicer sight to see with all the ideas on such a small place. Like a city and not like a prison camp.

Homestead city would have to be created close to water, prefferably on a flat surface near big junkpiles. Wood is not that relevant as its far to finite. Maybe on a lake near starter zones so newbies can get easier start and see that Xsyon is played by someone? Anyone knows a zone like that?

How about it? How many of you would be willing to try this? All it takes is 10 homesteads for start and then city would be expanding on it's own. Major trading hub, major pvp hub, major player interraction hub etc etc. Homesteads can be anything from 1 to 5 people. Territorial growth would be limited as homesteads would be created close to each other so anyone who aspires to create a huge tribe might not want to settle too close to city.

But most of all everyone who is citizen of homestead city would retain his freedom to play the game the way he wants without anyone telling him to dig here or swim there.

I know this is quite opposite of approach most people take here. Apocalypse, fear and loothing, theft and murder. Chaos. Well not for me. Luckily humanity was not made out of those who would steal and rape if judgement day comes but out of those who would try to rebuild and make a better world. Why not try this in Xsyon?

Jadzia
04-17-2011, 07:11 AM
I do agree with a lot that you said. A homestead city gives much more freedom than a tribe town, looks nicer and more fun. What keeps me back from joining is the PvP aspect. I live in a very peaceful area now, active players all around, many homesteads and peaceful tribes. I haven't seen a PKer for a month now. So I wouldn't join your city because of the reason you mentioned...this city would attract a lot of PvPers and thats something I'd like to avoid.

Rudder
04-17-2011, 08:37 AM
When you go out scavenging or fish or drink you'll always get the Tribe Encroachment alert when homesteads are massed in an area

Plague
04-17-2011, 10:24 AM
When you go out scavenging or fish or drink you'll always get the Tribe Encroachment alert when homesteads are massed in an area

So? If you do it with someone's allowance then who cares?

I do agree with a lot that you said. A homestead city gives much more freedom than a tribe town, looks nicer and more fun. What keeps me back from joining is the PvP aspect. I live in a very peaceful area now, active players all around, many homesteads and peaceful tribes. I haven't seen a PKer for a month now. So I wouldn't join your city because of the reason you mentioned...this city would attract a lot of PvPers and thats something I'd like to avoid.

Thanks. But I live right next door to worst PK and griefer tribe in Xsyon and I haven't seen them in days. They all emoragequit it seems.

Time to rebuild the world now when PKers froze during winter since they ran around naked:)

fatboy21007
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
nice idea n all. but no need. most players find a nice quiet home and stick to it. and if you traveled the game you would know that alot of the homesteaders perfer to live in the woods alone away from everyone. Also the Guides are making cities in founders island. So ur idea was already though up and put into play. Good luck though :-)

Jadzia
04-17-2011, 10:42 AM
nice idea n all. but no need. most players find a nice quiet home and stick to it. and if you traveled the game you would know that alot of the homesteaders perfer to live in the woods alone away from everyone.
I believe they do that not because they don't want to see anyone, only because they find it more safe.
And Plague, I'm afraid those neighbours would be happy to come back if they found such an easy target as a homestead city :)

Plague
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
So not to provoke pkers to come back you will stay hidden? You do realize that without social aspect you are playing Xsyon offline? PVP, although not at all primary activity here, should be part of the world.

Jadzia
04-17-2011, 10:53 AM
So not to provoke pkers to come back you will stay hidden? You do realize that without social aspect you are playing Xsyon offline? PVP, although not at all primary activity here, should be part of the world.
As I said I live in an area which has a lot of active players. I'm not hiding at all, but there is a difference between hiding and offering an easy target. I hate forced PvP and will avoid it as much as I can. I'm seriously considering of asking for a safer environment, since the current setup obviously doesn't work. Jordi did say earlier that if there was a demand for a safer environment he would consider to give it.

Plague
04-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Having a city would be something completely different then "easy target". In fact it would be a nightmare for pkers as they have no clue who is on whos territory and they would not know who is killable. Also the idea is to have defence force, contrary to what trbes have now as no one can attack tribes in any way on their lands. We woud be ready for possible changes in pvp way before all others.

But again this is just me. I know some people don't want any exposure to pvp and some don't want any exposure to any kind of cooperations but are here to grief and make up for the size of their... joysticks.

xyberviri
04-17-2011, 11:22 AM
pvp isn't forced if you dont want to pvp just stay in a city and trade with the other people of said city for the things you need.

boomer0901
04-17-2011, 11:26 AM
I like your idea and I know of whom you speak dear black :) move closer to a friendly tribe and you can get help that way too, but I do like your idea none the less. If I were a homesteader I'd do it. Next big questions would be where to move and how to get it started. Would be hard to please more than a couple homesteaders if you do happen to find a junk pile that doesn't have 20 homesteader totems on it already.

Although I do agree you live next to some of the worst ganker scum in the game, top 5 anyway there is some other stiff competition. They are not pvp'ers at all, if it's not an easy target I don't think they'd attack it, pussy gankers the worst kind.

Plague
04-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I dont care about them. They don't even exit atm. I want some player interaction and living Xsyon world. Everywhere I go its like 4.5 active people at most. A city would, in my opinion, turn this around, and mayve new cities would grow etc etc.

Malivius
04-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Plague, your idea is similar to what I really wish I could do with the game. I have concept art and blueprints done for a thriving trade city in Xsyon, but it will most likely never come to be. I'd need an area at least the size of the largest tribal area now and an army to build it.

but...it's fun to dream. Imagine politics playing a role in contracts with merchants who can use the stalls to sell their goods in the city, military/mercenary tribes hired as guards/protection, and, of course, being able to hire out people for services and having a huge central hub with parks and such... I think it'd be amazing.

However...I also know that, as boomer points out, there are some really special folks that want nothing more than to cause as much grief and trouble as they can in the name of fun. They're not PvPers...they're a gigantic cluster of douchebags who apparently can't find anything more productive to do in life (not just in Xsyon). It doesn't matter how full-featured this game becomes, they'll intentionally grief and cause trouble because it's what they do. I don't know if I'd ever amass the effort to get started on a project like this because of the morons that would want to ruin it just for fun...

Plague
04-17-2011, 12:19 PM
So you will let morons rule your life? Hey I live next to SOTA, junk next to me was paved and I still have fun despite all their tries to grief me (I also lead them 6:0 in pvp kills, they suck really:)) Even my homestead area looks better architecture wise then their super sand castle (imagination is one more thing those guys are missing I'm afraid).

Any takers on my idea? It would be fun I'm sure. What is there to lose?

Koll
04-17-2011, 09:47 PM
nice idea n all. but no need. most players find a nice quiet home and stick to it. and if you traveled the game you would know that alot of the homesteaders perfer to live in the woods alone away from everyone. Also the Guides are making cities in founders island. So ur idea was already though up and put into play. Good luck though :-)

was ? Guide cities ? boooo

warmslumbers13
04-18-2011, 02:28 AM
hey Plague talk to me in game, I been working on helping the new players start up after getting all their gear stolen from people camping outside the spawn point. Perhaps you should move near me since we have a common hate towards people that pick on new players.

d3m0nd0
04-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Homestead tribe? Basically a tribe full of unorganised selfish solo players. Im sure that will work.

Plague
04-19-2011, 02:41 AM
Homestead tribe? Basically a tribe full of unorganised selfish solo players. Im sure that will work.

City. Not tribe. You know what a city is? Democracy and ... oh I bet I lost you at democracy. PL are known for their commie attitude anyway. All for one and one for himself is your moto. How many people left PL cuz of you so far?

Phazaar
04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
City. Not tribe. You know what a city is? Democracy and ... oh I bet I lost you at democracy. PL are known for their commie attitude anyway. All for one and one for himself is your moto. How many people left PL cuz of you so far?

You really should be asking how many of us stick around just for him. Our ridiculous constructions are testament to A: how pointless the game is, B: how empty the game is, C: how boring the game is, and D: that A-C don't matter when we've got company like Weebl :)

Gonna get back to spooning with the tribe now. Love and kisses to you all...

<_< >_>

ocoma
04-19-2011, 07:28 AM
So you will let morons rule your life? Hey I live next to SOTA, junk next to me was paved and I still have fun despite all their tries to grief me (I also lead them 6:0 in pvp kills, they suck really:)) Even my homestead area looks better architecture wise then their super sand castle (imagination is one more thing those guys are missing I'm afraid).

You are the one bitching about us on the forums but we are the ones emoraging...hmmmmm?!?

Who really cares how the city looks "architecture wise". The empty levels of the "sand castle" are empty on purpose waiting for new recipes that actually have meaning. The rest of the tribeland is still a work in progress and I work on it daily. The city is being built for function not attractiveness, directing the flow of traffic through it, providing bottlenecks and strategic overhangs, walls that only allow travel in one direction when on them. You can't even begin to understand the thought put into our layout. The fact you cant see it shows who truely lacks imagination.

My only hope is that the game turns around and progresses to a point that our people feel it is worth returning to and all the work being put into the city is worth it.

Please by all means though move away and start your homestead city, then I wont have to read your emoraging in general chat anymore.

Naux
04-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Plague, sounds cool! and if a homesteader is worried about constant pvp everyone could create a wall around the outside of their area and the next homestead could do the same thing we would have a walled in homestead city so the only way for pvpers to know what your doing or if your even there is to physically come in to the city and even then they wouldn't know who has what area. As for an area I recently stumbled apon the extensive mounds of junk down by tallac with hardly anyone at some points if you wanted to check that out.

Nafiti
04-19-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Plague has a valid point with the City of Homesteads idea.
There are plenty of ways to poo-poo the idea, but I think it is interesting to see that there are others out there with similar ideas. Maybe the combined ideas can make a true City of Homesteads. There are plenty of "cooperative" type models that work and meet the goals of individuals as well as the larger organization.

KidCracken
04-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Plague, sounds cool! and if a homesteader is worried about constant pvp everyone could create a wall around the outside of their area and the next homestead could do the same thing we would have a walled in homestead city so the only way for pvpers to know what your doing or if your even there is to physically come in to the city and even then they wouldn't know who has what area. As for an area I recently stumbled apon the extensive mounds of junk down by tallac with hardly anyone at some points if you wanted to check that out.

was gonna suggest down by Tallac too.. huge place.. seems great for a city.. :)

not interested in moving there though.. but I would love to come and visit/trade :)

Plague
04-20-2011, 07:25 AM
So Tallac is what zone? I hope it's not 740, that zone is one gigantic junkpile I would not want to live in.:)

It looks like I just might have to move there myself and make the first step. I bet that once we have 10 people move in others wiill settle real close even of they don't want to move in simply for social/trading aspect.

KidCracken
04-20-2011, 07:57 AM
So Tallac is what zone? I hope it's not 740, that zone is one gigantic junkpile I would not want to live in.:)

It looks like I just might have to move there myself and make the first step. I bet that once we have 10 people move in others wiill settle real close even of they don't want to move in simply for social/trading aspect.

738, so probably same junkpile.. the place is huge :)

it has a lot of resources close and a big enough area for a big city.. guess the junk would go away in time too, if you don't like it :P

city = lot of garbage.. it's realism!! :P

orious13
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea!

Unfortunately my spot is too legit to quit it :)... however there are like 3 more spots around me that are pretty legit looking. One of which is probably big enough for a small tribe. Junk pile is a 3-5 minute walk, though.

I'd almost say that at the beginning you should have everyone join in a tribe and build a huge wall, then exit the tribe and let people place homesteads within the wall so they could increase it and connect it in different ways etc.

Plague
04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
No no, not a tribe that places wall that anyone can dismantle after we leave the tribe. It should be possible to join or leave on your own any time you like. Besides I'm not into medieval cities people are building right now with moaths and walls and spikes and all.

I went to see Tallac today, in fact I did a full circle around the lake. Lack of trees next to the lake is appaling, we really need trees to regrow fast. But apart from that Tallac was okish. Close to lake, close to starter point and close to many people that settled on the biggest junkpile in the game:) I still need to find an exact spot and move myself there before I can call for a city. It's pretty occupied there to be honest.

Azhul_NS
04-26-2011, 06:18 AM

I am very interested. If this is still a goal of yours - I am in.

Plague
04-29-2011, 07:03 AM
I'm still on it but snow makes it impossible to select good location. Postponed until snow clears.

Dzarren
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM
Hey Plague, i live on mount Tallac ATM would love to see you close again.
Area is very quiet lately, so you would be very welcome.
Even the guys of New Eden i havent seen lately.( we still are neighbours)
For the time being you would be welcome to live near me if you like most of the resources are available atm.

GRTX
Dzarren

Trenchfoot
04-29-2011, 08:38 AM
I think this thread should be marked for posterity.

I would like to come back and read it again when the 'all the land is taken' threads begin.

Tandarie
04-29-2011, 05:26 PM
This isn't a new idea.. it was actually brought up around launch when people actually played the game. I think it sounds good in theory based on a WORKING game with a WORKING economy. But I will tell you right now the only reason us homesteaders are still around is because we we have to actually work for what we have in the game and its not just handed to us like in a large tribe. We have to travel to trade which takes up time. We have to prepare the land our selves and haul logs and sand and make bricks which all takes up time. with the game still broken, once you get everyone together in 2 weeks when you have nothing left to do but sit around and chit chat people are going to leave.

That being said.. if i were to make a homestead city and in this current state of the game I would make it on the flatest piece of land around no where near junk. I would make it on newbie island in the north.

Plague
04-30-2011, 01:37 AM
No where near junk??? Why???? So we can travel bllion miles just to get 4 pieces of metal?

WIth trees gone only other resource we can aim at is junk. And it is endless supply of nails, bolts and rest of the stuff everyone needs. Those things will make a base for the economy, not $ bills.

Azhul_NS
04-30-2011, 02:01 AM
The game as it is isn't worth paying a sub fee, so assuming that no real economy will be in and opting for self-imposed grind does not appeal to me at all. Cross-country travel in this game sucks.

I think it is better to operate on the theory that important features WILL be added when choosing a home base. I want to do this so there ARE people nearby to work together on various projects.