PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps you need more hand holding...

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Xsyon is a game set in a post apocalyptic setting, where we have all somehow survived, and don't remember much of the old world, or even how we survived... maybe its the radiation...

From this setting what would you expect?

Tutorials? Shoot, I didn't even remember my name so I made one up. My neighbors don't remember how to do anything either. We are figuring it out as we go.

Hunting? I have killed a good number of animals, but they are very skiddish and seem to hide a lot... maybe they are afraid of us and are struggling too.

New content? I can setup quests for my neighbors to come take part in to generate a bit of interaction with them, and I can simply trade for needed goods. There is no government, no benevolent aliens to guide us, no instruction manuals... just a few ragged patterns I found on a junk pile of what must have been a store of some kind way back in the old world. I think it is up to me to shape this new world.

PvP? So far, I have been able to find many useful items out scavenging. I have all my needs met, so have been working with a few others to build a settlement were we all can feel safe. I have no need to take things from anyone else. I am NOT desperate nor have I run out of resources. Trees are getting scarce now, and that may be a problem in a few months. It's kinda weird though, because today I had a couple crazies come around and kill me. but instead of winking out, I soon woke up NOT dead. Still haven't figured it all out.

I have heard a few wanting some great mystic power to grant them everything and teach them all knowledge so that they can feel powerful. Seems like maybe that is what got us all here in the first place.

I don't need anyone to hold my hand. But maybe you do?

Gypsy
04-19-2011, 08:39 AM
the first step to recovery is admiting you have a problem.

China
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM
the first step to recovery is admiting you have a problem.

Wow. Talk about having a problem. Did that make you feel better IRL?

Sirius
04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
PvP? So far, I have been able to find many useful items out scavenging. I have all my needs met, so have been working with a few others to build a settlement were we all can feel safe. I have no need to take things from anyone else. I am NOT desperate nor have I run out of resources.

Amidst that inexplicable lecture, you just inadvertently put your finger on one of the #1 reasons this game is pointless right now.

Armand
04-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I don't think the issue is needing to be held by the hand so much as requiring at least a sliver of motivation to play.

I could be quite wrong though about the latter. It seems that many are content with an interactive chat room.

Malivius
04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Amidst that inexplicable lecture, you just inadvertently put your finger on one of the #1 reasons this game is pointless right now.

BINGO! Borrowing an idea from Claude Fischer, one of the key factors in forming effective community and neighborhood relationships is functional interdependence...We need to need and rely on one another for something before we will interact with one another

At the moment, we all basically have our own personal Wal-Mart that can provide anything and everything we need. The only rare items are the ones that Wal-Mart doesn't carry...and no one has those...

xyberviri
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
there aren't tutorials at play grounds for kids. you just take them and say stay between this fence and that fence.
there isn't a tutorial at the beach
there isn't a tutorial for when your a teenager home alone with your girl friend.......

You just figure it out on your own and find something fun to do.

I think people are just lazy which is why we need the mindless content generator kicking out randomized missions of Go here and find a Hammer to bring back here so i can make the flask that will be filled with magical water of the glowing ocean of Atlanta so that we can later make the tea for the old wizard that will grant us the gift of being able to wear pants.............

mrcalhou
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
ITT: People trying to rationalize broken and non-existent mechanics.

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Not rationalization... acceptance of realities that have been stated all along.

This game is not what many of the most vocal wish it was, it was never a game meant be be like other games.

It is not PVP focused, just has some pvp elements.

It has always been said what prelude was about and that it's an indie game with low funding and small crew.

What is it that people can't understand? If YOU developed this game and put forth the effort and sweat and tears, and MONEY, then you might have a point.

To me personally, you didn't, so don't.

Armand
04-19-2011, 10:53 AM
There'll be less than a handful of players after the included playtime is over.

Rationalize that.

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 11:10 AM
I fully expect the game to continue, improve and more people will play.

No need for any kind of rationalizations at all :)

sounds like You are the one needing to rationalize.

Armand
04-19-2011, 11:13 AM
No you! lol..

So much denial on these forums. That'll die out soon enough as well.

xyberviri
04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
No you! lol..

So much denial on these forums. That'll die out soon enough as well.

your a denial

Book
04-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Denial is a river in Egypt... come on ppl!

xyberviri
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Denial is a river in Egypt... come on ppl!

your a river in Egypt

Dubanka
04-19-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think the issue is needing to be held by the hand so much as requiring at least a sliver of motivation to play.

I could be quite wrong though about the latter. It seems that many are content with an interactive chat room.

i will agree with the hopi 100% on this one.

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
aww c'mon Armand

Just admit that YOU are totally bored, things are not working out like YOU thought and you are frustrated.

Some of us are not in your shoes nor do we have your viewpoint or frustration level.

We ALSO are not going to look at it like you do just 'cuz you want us to. Call it what you will, but it's just a game and does NOT affect my RL personality one little bit.

To me, Xsyon is a fun diversion from RL that I am enjoying just fine. Oh, did I say that we added 3 new members this last week? seems like ok growth to me :)

Sirius
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM
i will agree with the hopi 100% on this one.

you're sleeping on the couch tonight

Armand
04-19-2011, 02:27 PM
aww c'mon Armand

Just admit that YOU are totally bored, things are not working out like YOU thought and you are frustrated.

Some of us are not in your shoes nor do we have your viewpoint or frustration level.

We ALSO are not going to look at it like you do just 'cuz you want us to. Call it what you will, but it's just a game and does NOT affect my RL personality one little bit.

To me, Xsyon is a fun diversion from RL that I am enjoying just fine. Oh, did I say that we added 3 new members this last week? seems like ok growth to me :)

How long is sorting cloth and leveling terrain going to entertain these 3 new members? I'm betting not very.

Sirius
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM
It's also not really "growth" of the game.. you just got 3 castoff members of dead tribes... :P

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
actually no.

One was thats true.. 2 were totally new players.

and the growth I refer to is tribal growth not game growth. You seem to think I am both blind and stupid. Neither are true.

mrcalhou
04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
aww c'mon Armand

It's not just Armand...

Dubanka
04-19-2011, 05:02 PM
aww c'mon Armand

DRINK THE COOL AID! DRINK IT DAMNIT! DRINK THE DAMN COOL AID ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!

:)

i'm hoping for a miracle patch. i'm also buying a lottery ticket. I think they have equal chances of occurring.

Koll
04-19-2011, 06:27 PM

I agree with you and I was thinking that once Junk Piles would be gone the fun would begin.. but now they are talking about letting junkpiles "regenerate"... weak.

Book
04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I rather enjoyed the fact that there was no tutorial in the beginning. My feeling so lost really added to my immersion in the game, and made it feel like I really didn't know how to survive.

There were plenty of people in the "chat room" complaining that they couldn't find anyone to kill, picking on one kid in particular, generally ignored those...
but there were also nice folks willing to answer a couple of questions, such as why am I dying of thirst standing next to a lake?

A sense of community and good humor can do just as much for player interaction as conflict. Not the type of interaction pewpeweronly folks enjoy, but you know how it goes: you can't please all of the people all of the time, and you can't please some of the people any of the time.

Mactavendish
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Well said Book :)

Rhodes
04-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Xsyon is too easy.

On death, players should drop all their items.
Animals should be much stronger.
There needs to be item decay (yea, I know they're working on this one).
Starvation and dehydration should kill you, over time.
Leather should only be acquired from animals.
Tool and weapon recipes should be harder to acquire.

I'm sure there are a lot more improvements that could be made, these are just some I could think of off the top of my head.
Some of my suggestions could be accomplished with relatively little work on the dev's part.
Until Xsyon gains a little back-bone and presents more challenges, it's only going to continue losing players - very few of us were looking for a post-apocalyptic social sim.

I'm holding out hope for some of the future patches. However, there may not even be a player base by the time those needed patches arrive.

Plague
04-20-2011, 01:06 AM
I agree with Rhodes on his list, Xsyon is too easy now. But it's still fun compared to all else I play. Name a better game? No-can-do, that's what I thought. If there was anything better all you whiners would not be here.

And for the Nth time Xsyon is not and should never be pvp centric game. If you came here expecting that you should be disappointed but only because you failed to grasp what Xsyon is.

I'll be here even after my free time expires for at least another 6 months. Having fun is all I care about and right now xsyon is fun (although far from perfect).

Hopibear
04-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Dezgard stole my red color !!!!!

Redus
04-20-2011, 02:16 AM
DRINK THE COOL AID! DRINK IT DAMNIT! DRINK THE DAMN COOL AID ITS GOOD FOR YOU!!!

:)

i'm hoping for a miracle patch. i'm also buying a lottery ticket. I think they have equal chances of occurring.

So the changes for a miracle patch is as big as you buying a lottery ticket? :P

Dubanka
04-20-2011, 05:01 AM
chances of either happening are pretty slim.

Mactavendish
04-20-2011, 06:20 AM
The reality Rhodes, is that all those things you list were NOT the way it was at official release. I actually agree on most of those items being a better way to have STARTED.

Alas, such is not the case. To make those specific changes now would require everything we have currently to become obsolete, and that damage to a player from combat should drastically reduce your stats so that you MUST do other things to recover.

I am very sure from what I have seen of you and Armand that you really don't want to have to basically start over. If they added those changes in now, it would give you a large advantage. BUT... What if your hide ability was affected when you were successfully struck in combat, by either an animal or player? What if anytime you forgot to eat your str, would lose points exponentially the longer you forgot?

Would you still want that list of wishes?

With the situation NOT being that way, did you ever consider that maybe Jordi and team have something ELSE planned? It may not meet with your vision for the game, but alas, it's not your game is it?

Armand
04-20-2011, 06:54 AM
T but alas, it's not your game is it?

Nor is it yours. I hope you're not too disappointed when Jordi's financial situation comes crashing down, and he's forced to either sell the code or revamp the game to suit the majority's wants.

That's ok though, plenty of Sims games out there to hold you and your lot up.

Mactavendish
04-20-2011, 07:43 AM
You don't seem to understand...

It won't disappoint me at all.

This is a video game that I happen to enjoy and like. BUT, it's not life, it's not critical, it is only entertainment and thats all.

My hope of course, is that it will continue for a long time, I'll make some new friends, spend some fun time interacting with like minded players. If it ends, no prob at all.

You do realize it's JUST a video game... right?

Sirius
04-20-2011, 08:04 AM
So... you HOPE Xsyon will continue for a long time, but won't be the slightest bit disappointed if it quickly fails? Ok.

Armand
04-20-2011, 08:10 AM

This is a video game that I happen to enjoy and like. BUT, it's not life, it's not critical, it is only entertainment and thats all.

My hope of course, is that it will continue for a long time, I'll make some new friends, spend some fun time interacting with like minded players. If it ends, no prob at all.

You seem emotionally invested enough to pontificate and ramble ad nauseam.

Blatant hypocrisy, gotta love it.

Book
04-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking, as Rhodes said, animals being more challenging would be welcomed by the entire community?

For example, I'm wearing gatherer armor, which I don't think is really meant for combat and yet a bear did no damage a couple of days ago.

There's something about the mechanic I'm not quite getting though. I think I heard somewhere that animals get more challenging over time as they grow? The bear I saw did seem rather small. With the current spawns, animals get wiped out pretty quickly... so is it a matter of fixing the spawns so there are enough of them to grow? Does the animal object family have a timer for growth which could be sped up, or arbitrarily set to start higher in the interim?

Had seen a picture of a gigantic bear apparently found near the mist. I presume that one would have been a challenge.

As you can probably guess, I'm not specced out for combat, so someone like me should probably need back-up when encountering a bear. They also never stop chasing. So even if I wanted to leave them be and let them grow, I can't once they've seen me. Has that changed since the new AI?

d3m0nd0
04-20-2011, 10:12 AM

WAIT? This Isnt Real Life? ZOMG! THIS IS MOST SHOCKING! Someone Tell The King/Queen/President/Emperor/Prime Minister/Jihad Leader dude!
O and i like the part where you tell us you have no real friends, because you play games all day, Real Smooth Bro. Yes You need to make some friends. I Agree 100%.
Wether anyone wants to be your friend... Is another question completely.

Mactavendish
04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
heheh you guys kill me.

Its actually becoming comical what you say and think, but in a sad sort of way.

I think I will just stop paying any attention to the lot of you and stop feeding whiners.

You guys have fun IN game and keep on keeping on... I couldn't care less really.

Sirius
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
The evidence points to you caring quite a bit.

Rhodes
04-20-2011, 01:16 PM
The reality Rhodes, is that all those things you list were NOT the way it was at official release. I actually agree on most of those items being a better way to have STARTED.

Alas, such is not the case. To make those specific changes now would require everything we have currently to become obsolete, and that damage to a player from combat should drastically reduce your stats so that you MUST do other things to recover.

I am very sure from what I have seen of you and Armand that you really don't want to have to basically start over. If they added those changes in now, it would give you a large advantage. BUT... What if your hide ability was affected when you were successfully struck in combat, by either an animal or player? What if anytime you forgot to eat your str, would lose points exponentially the longer you forgot?

Would you still want that list of wishes?

With the situation NOT being that way, did you ever consider that maybe Jordi and team have something ELSE planned? It may not meet with your vision for the game, but alas, it's not your game is it?

I understand your first point, that changing it now would be of benefit to all the players that were able to reap the 'easy' system that was present at launch.
But it's better later than never.

Your assumption is that I'm even a PvP player, which is wrong.
I didn't suggest that list because I thought it would benefit PvP players or simply be detrimental to only crafting players, like you're seeming to imply.

My character level is over 30. I've grand mastered several skills and almost all my remaining skills are 25+.
This is without unattended macroing. I've helped terraform large structures and created many buildings.
There isn't much in this game that I haven't done - PvP is just one piece of the game (I've had to diversify myself to keep interested).

Besides the fact that I partake in PvP, how different is my character from yours?

So yes, I would still want that list of changes.

Armand
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
heheh you guys kill me.

Its actually becoming comical what you say and think, but in a sad sort of way.

I think I will just stop paying any attention to the lot of you and stop feeding whiners.

You guys have fun IN game and keep on keeping on... I couldn't care less really.

=

http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/haters-gonna-hate-15.jpg