PDA

View Full Version : patch today?

treyu
05-04-2011, 01:37 AM
I am not sure, but do we get the path today?

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Since they're not saying, I am betting no.

Dzarren
05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
There was an anouncement which says that its not ready yet.
Reading between the lines they have to fix it yet and then test it, it will probably be next week wednesday.

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 03:20 AM
There was an anouncement which says that its not ready yet.

Of course not. Like everything else.

Reading between the lines they have to fix it yet and then test it, it will probably be next week wednesday.
And you are basing that on...?

siimp
05-04-2011, 04:52 AM
They should give us exact date when the patch is going to be released. At the moment, there is nothing left to do... No trees, no animals, all the bins are full of armor/weapons/tools, finished my third castle already and can`t expand because of the tribal area bug... I really hate to check for the update every wednesday because some guy listed wednesday as a patch day. Actually its more like one patch per month (if we are lucky)... Devs, try to be more realistic and honest!

dezgard
05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Soon as the patch is ready it'll be patched out no matter what day it is.

Testing isn't as simple as it sounds and very hard to put a time on.

But rest assured that we are testing as fast as we can while trying to maintain quality.

trash656
05-04-2011, 08:12 AM

But rest assured that we are testing as fast as we can while trying to maintain quality.

I agree. Maybe some of you need to stop complaining. I mean it's not like they have an entire 100 person development team like Blizzard does on their games. I only know of a few Indie MMO's I've played in the last 13 years that brought out patchs the exact day they were going to be released. If you assumed the patch was going to be released today. Thats your own fault. I already assumed it wasn't going to be released today, because the development team is so small, and there is so many issues with this game to be worked on. I am an artist, and graphic designer, but I've also been programming since i was 14 and I can say that I completly understand why this patch is being delayed.

Sorry if this post comes across the wrong way. It wasn't my intention to make people mad. I just get so sick of all the whining and complaining on these forums. Thats all people seem too do here.

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Sorry if this comes across the wrong way. I just get so sick of all the complaining on these forums.

I am sick of the excuses.

xyberviri
05-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I agree. Maybe some of you need to stop complaining. I mean it's not like they have an entire 100 person development team like Blizzard does on their games. I only know of a few Indie MMO's I've played in the last 13 years that brought out patchs the exact day they were going to be released. If you assumed the patch was going to be released today. Thats your own fault. I already assumed it wasn't going to be released today, because the development team is so small, and there is so many issues with this game to be worked on. I am an artist, and graphic designer, but I've also been programming since i was 14 and I can say that I completly understand why this patch is being delayed.

Sorry if this post comes across the wrong way. It wasn't my intention to make people mad. I just get so sick of all the whining and complaining on these forums. Thats all people seem too do here.

+1................

fotuenti
05-04-2011, 08:51 AM
why are people getting labeled as complainers just for asking about more status on an update?

if Notorious has planned for wednesdays as patch days isn't it natural to ask about them on a wednesday?

if the wednesday patch planning is meant more as a plan for the future when the team is able to handle the regular patch schedule then that's fine. i just don't understand the need to label the questions here as complaints. i don't really read the comments here as complaints.

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
why are people getting labeled as complainers just for asking about more status on an update?

As paying customers, we have every right to complain. They are working for us, people.

fotuenti
05-04-2011, 09:03 AM
As paying customers, we have every right to complain. They are working for us, people.

agreed, but that's not even my point. i don't really see any compaints in here(aside from mine arguably), i just see people asking about a patch status on.... wait for it..... patch day.

Book
05-04-2011, 10:23 AM

No pressure man. We're all counting on you.

:p

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
No pressure man. We're all counting on you.

:p

No, pressure. Not ALL of us.

Book
05-04-2011, 10:38 AM
No, pressure. Not ALL of us.

/sigh

Perhaps the movie "Airplane" was before your time? Adding a little levity to the situation really wouldn't hurt. I know, you're the little boss that could, but still, lighten up francis. (that one would be "Stripes", also a good and funny movie. Nothing wrong with attempting to laugh a little.)

orious13
05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Pressure or not it'll be ready when it's ready.

darkbladed
05-04-2011, 11:10 AM
It is funny, the same people who whined that last patch (which caused all sorts of crashes) should have been tested more before it was released are whining again that this patch is "taking too long" because they are testing it.

Also Wednesday is a "patch if need" day rather than a patch day; not every Wednesday will be a patch day.

xyberviri
05-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Also Wednesday is a "patch if need" day rather than a patch day; not every Wednesday will be a patch day.

OMG im so tired of repeating this to people over and over.

I bet they are the same people that wonder why Thanksgiving keeps missing thursday.

Azhul_NS
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Pressure or not it'll be ready when it's ready.

Like a tree falling in the woods?

orious13
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Like a tree falling in the woods?

Like regardless of the game's playability, it's the player's choice whether or not to subscribe.

ColonelTEE3
05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
So patches will come "when they're ready", and wednesday, although deemed patch day, should not merit the questioning of whether there will be a patch, because the actual day of the week is an arbitrary factor in the patch coming.

Then why the hell do they even bring attention to wednesday in the first place?

fotuenti
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
So patches will come "when they're ready", and wednesday, although deemed patch day, should not merit the questioning of whether there will be a patch, because the actual day of the week is an arbitrary factor in the patch coming.

Then why the hell do they even bring attention to wednesday in the first place?

this was what i was trying to get at, thanks for putting in better wording.

siimp
05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
I was`nt whining at the first place, i was just telling that why to feed us false information if there is no patch on the wednesday. Just put the maintenance times there at its all great. And why to tell people that there were only 10min rollback when it was 30min rollback? I just cant understand it.

orious13
05-04-2011, 01:29 PM
The weekly patching is contingent upon the new patcher. If the patcher doesn't work, you probably won't be getting your regular patches.

Eduard
05-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Lets see if that new patcher will be used today!

Phatkat
05-11-2011, 06:45 AM
They are obviously trying to get the patch out today. Attention has been brought to Wednesday because Wednesday was the planned release of the latest patch. It didn't come out today however and the dev team is gona try to push it out as fast as possible.

everyone needs to relax.

fotuenti
05-11-2011, 07:01 AM
DO NOT QUESTION PATCH DAY!

DO NOT TAUNT PATCH DAY!

PATCH DAY IS SACRED AND SHALL NOT BE DIRTIED BY YOUR INSOLENCE

;P

warning patch day may stick to certain types of skin

dezgard
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Patch day doesn't mean there will be a patch it's simply a day that we will patch Server and/or client or make any changes that we have to, It could take more than an hour.

Deacon
05-11-2011, 08:50 AM
Patch day doesn't mean there will be a patch it's simply a day that we will patch Server and/or client or make any changes that we have to, It could take more than an hour.

I'm not sure why you even call it patch day.....you put out patches when they're done....which never seem to be on wednesdays.

Phatkat
05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure why you even call it patch day.....you put out patches when they're done....which never seem to be on wednesdays.

could be on a wednesday =0

xyberviri
05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Who is bringing the cranberry for tomorrows thanksgiving?

MrDDT
05-11-2011, 09:28 AM

They should change it to "We could patch today but unlikely" =P

Book
05-11-2011, 12:00 PM
I've noticed that the maintenance sometimes only takes half an hour recently.

I would imagine this is very cool for the people who would like to play during that time.

I understood the Wednesday thing as a courtesy to customers, letting them know that Wednesdays might, MIGHT, be longer than other maintenance days, thereby allowing people to plan accordingly. I think it was named "patch day" around the same time maintenance was staggered to accommodate an international userbase.

I think denoting a day when maintenance might take longer was in the same spirit of accommodation. That would perhaps be the point to remember rather than getting too upset about nomenclature.

MrDDT
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I think denoting a day when maintenance might take longer was in the same spirit of accommodation. That would perhaps be the point to remember rather than getting too upset about nomenclature.

How many patches have you seen on "patch-day" is the point =P

I agree with you, they meant it to be a planned day to try to have it on that day. Just funny how its not happening on that day.

Aiden
05-11-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm more than a little amused that people are expecting this small group of developers to knock out enough work to drop a patch every Wednesday. Developer Teams with hundreds of employees often go months without a patch...why is it different here? (other than people are understandably a bit impatient at the moment)

*Nothing* wrong with asking about a patch on Wednesday, but no need to get so worked up over it (imho).

MrDDT
05-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm more than a little amused that people are expecting this small group of developers to knock out enough work to drop a patch every Wednesday. Developer Teams with hundreds of employees often go months without a patch...why is it different here? (other than people are understandably a bit impatient at the moment)

*Nothing* wrong with asking about a patch on Wednesday, but no need to get so worked up over it (imho).

Which game are you talking about goes months without patches? Just wondering.
I look at games like Rift who patched like up to 20 times in one day!!!
When something needed to be fixed they would patch it then, not wait months. I think the games you might be talking about are games that have been out for a while and dont need these major updates to keep it fun.
Name some games where they had 100s and didnt patch in the first few months. Thanks.

fotuenti
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM

it probably will not be very productive or helpful to turn this into a discussion about software development practices.

agreed. all the trolling and joking aside, there should be nothing wrong with asking "will there be a patch this wednesday?"

dezgard
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Nothing wrong with asking at all :P

Azhul_NS
05-12-2011, 01:29 AM

Your opinion is wrong.

Xsyon isn't even close to a state where it can go along fine without patches. It should be patched AT LEAST once a week.

NorCalGooey
05-12-2011, 05:47 AM
Your opinion is wrong.

Xsyon isn't even close to a state where it can go along fine without patches. It should be patched AT LEAST once a week.

It's impossible for an opinion to be wrong or right. Come on now it's not even logical to say that.

Maybe it's wrong in comparison to your opinion. But your opinion is probably wrong in comparison to mine. If you have ever coded before you know a handful of devs can't make major changes once per week.

Why do people continue to be so naive? It's the same thing if Blizzard was to release WoW in development stage...people would be QQing all over the place for updates.

But in Xsyon, that is part of the plan. The community feedback helps development quality and every game ends up with more quality if the devs listen to the feedback.

Think of it this way. He hasn't even done advertising for the game. Reputation isn't ruined because the game doesn't have a reputation yet. Maybe a tiny word of mouth reputation that doesn't matter once advertising starts.

You'd be a fool to think that if the close to 7 billion people on this earth ALL knew that Xsyon EXISTED, there wouldn't be 100s of thousands lining up to play the game EVEN RIGHT NOW WITH VERY LITTLE TO DO.

That's how good the game is. Many people who have been dying for a game like this just don't know about it..yet. They are trying to add some longetivity to the game before advertising though...so people don't just start playing and then quit when they realize it's just a crafter/building sim with meaningless FFA loot (ATM its meaningless)

Aiden
05-12-2011, 06:02 AM
It's impossible for an opinion to be wrong or right. Come on now it's not even logical to say that.

Maybe it's wrong in comparison to your opinion. But your opinion is probably wrong in comparison to mine. If you have ever coded before you know a handful of devs can't make major changes once per week.

Why do people continue to be so naive? It's the same thing if Blizzard was to release WoW in development stage...people would be QQing all over the place for updates.

But in Xsyon, that is part of the plan. The community feedback helps development quality and every game ends up with more quality if the devs listen to the feedback.

Think of it this way. He hasn't even done advertising for the game. Reputation isn't ruined because the game doesn't have a reputation yet. Maybe a tiny word of mouth reputation that doesn't matter once advertising starts.

You'd be a fool to think that if the close to 7 billion people on this earth ALL knew that Xsyon EXISTED, there wouldn't be 100s of thousands lining up to play the game EVEN RIGHT NOW WITH VERY LITTLE TO DO.

That's how good the game is. Many people who have been dying for a game like this just don't know about it..yet. They are trying to add some longetivity to the game before advertising though...so people don't just start playing and then quit when they realize it's just a crafter/building sim with meaningless FFA loot (ATM its meaningless)

Excellent Post NorCal...and perhaps my attitude (and wrong opinion) are based on my limited experience, but at this point...this game, even after just a few days, has pretty much killed my desire to play anything else on the market at the moment. It is THAT good...even right now.

dezgard
05-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Excellent Post NorCal...and perhaps my attitude (and wrong opinion) are based on my limited experience, but at this point...this game, even after just a few days, has pretty much killed my desire to play anything else on the market at the moment. It is THAT good...even right now.

I read read and read again and still not sure if your meaning is good or bad lol (maybe I've been in china too long and lost grip on sarcasm)

Aiden
05-12-2011, 06:15 AM
I read read and read again and still not sure if your meaning is good or bad lol (maybe I've been in china too long and lost grip on sarcasm)

It's all positive. After logging off Xsyon last night I went to hang out with a friend. He was playing Rift and after watching him for 20 minutes or so, I realized that it would take one hell of a game to draw me back into doing quest/gear grinds with no freedom involved...

Now, back to building my home and exploring!

Azhul_NS
05-12-2011, 07:15 AM

Guess you haven't played Minecraft, then.

GOOD? No, it isn't. Tell me what is good about it. Seriously.

Added after 26 minutes:

If you think that Xsyon doesn't have a bad rep, you don't understand how the internet works.

They wouldn't be lining up to PAY for it.

No one is dying for a game like this. We are dying for a game like this was SUPPOSED TO BE.

No one is dying for a game with most of its features either turned off or not working, and I asure you - no one is dying to pay for it.

As for the lack of advertising? Well, there are laws in some countries against advertising something which does not work.

Deacon
05-12-2011, 07:15 AM

I'm not getting "Worked up" about it...was just saying....they could have saved themselves the expectation from players that they would patch then. I'm actually off enjoying Project Entropia again, now that I have a rig that can run it since the cry engine was implemented.

fotuenti
05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
If you have ever coded before you know a handful of devs can't make major changes once per week.

i have coded before, and i would agree that "major" changes probably aren't going to happen once per week. that doesn't mean there couldn't be meaningful incremental patches added to close bugs. my suggestion for the dev team would be to stage the wednesday patches even if the patch is small and only fixes relatively minor issues. this only helps to develop strong release cycles, and i think it would build confidence among the player base about the forward momentum of the dev team. if it is the case that all the developers are working on major changes then that would explain the long cycles between patches, and it would be interesting to know. given the state of the game client and the numerous smaller issues i would think that there would be great value to releasing regular(read wednesday) patches even if they aren't the major changes we are all expecting.