PDA

View Full Version : @ Dev Danathur

ocoma
05-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey there in your hello thread about 2 weeks ago you mentioned you were going to start up a thread for player discussion about planned features. Just a little reminder for ya. The forums are getting a bit boring. We have the same people argueing the same things back and forth(myself included) mostly based on assumptions, heresay and speculation. We could really use some fresh material to banter about.

Please.

oneyedwang
05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Hey there in your hello thread about 2 weeks ago you mentioned you were going to start up a thread for player discussion about planned features. Just a little reminder for ya. The forums are getting a bit boring. We have the same people argueing the same things back and forth(myself included) mostly based on assumptions, heresay and speculation. We could really use some fresh material to banter about.

Please.

I haven't seen him post since Jordi yanked the chain because dan threatened to sue a subscriber for liable on the forums.....

Is he even still with the company?

MrDDT
05-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I haven't seen him post since Jordi yanked the chain because dan threatened to sue a subscriber for liable on the forums.....

Yes he is but you guys are mean to him.

I think Jordi should let him loose on the flamers (nothing gay) on these forums.

Book
05-11-2011, 06:39 PM

right, and I have a really nice bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...

Sue for liable? :D Coming from the dude that went all ape at Danathur's first introduction... come on now.

Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary? Seriously, look it up.

oneyedwang
05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
right, and I have a really nice bridge to sell you in Brooklyn...

Sue for liable? :D Coming from the dude that went all ape at Danathur's first introduction... come on now.

Did you know the word gullible isn't in the dictionary? Seriously, look it up.

Sadly it's so absurd you think I'm trolling you and yes that was me but this was in another thread.

Eduard
05-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Heh, after that incident I would avoid forums to...

But lets look on the bright side - less time spent on forum suing costumers = more time on programming and fixing.

dezgard
05-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Why do people assume that programmers work day and night and have no private time to invest in what they are helping to create? that's a total myth....whats that honey? oh its 5am sorry I'm coming to bed now....were was I oh yes a MYTH!

Azhul_NS
05-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Why do people assume that programmers work day and night and have no private time to invest in what they are helping to create? that's a total myth....whats that honey? oh its 5am sorry I'm coming to bed now....were was I oh yes a MYTH!

Perhaps, but it is not showing in Xsyon.

dezgard
05-12-2011, 07:02 AM

What's not showing in Xsyon.

xyberviri
05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I vote to rename Azhul as Illmaculate II

xyberviri
05-12-2011, 09:04 AM

mrcalhou
05-12-2011, 09:37 AM
Yes, because we all know code just writes itself instantly.

orious13
05-12-2011, 09:40 AM

Pro response....

Azhul_NS
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Yes, because we all know code just writes itself instantly.

I am pretty sure we all know a week isn't 'instantly'.

Danathur
05-16-2011, 04:57 AM
@OP:
Jordi had to visit the new programmers and discuss a lot of the ideas we spoke internally about. As soon as he is back, I will have for sure a meeting and get more infos about what can be done when and what ideas will not make it. As much as I would like to give you more details, I prefer to wait until they get a solid base to talk about. Anything else would be a waste of time.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 06:32 AM
@OP:
Jordi had to visit the new programmers and discuss a lot of the ideas we spoke internally about. As soon as he is back, I will have for sure a meeting and get more infos about what can be done when and what ideas will not make it. As much as I would like to give you more details, I prefer to wait until they get a solid base to talk about. Anything else would be a waste of time.
Speaking of wasting time...

If only there was some way to converse with people a long way away without traveling to where they are. Some long-range communication method, perhaps involving the use of those things called 'computers'.

Fail excuse. Xsyon dies while the devs take vacations. You are not dedicated.

I wasted my money buying Xsyon. I won't be wasting any more.

fiolaja
05-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Speaking of wasting time...

If only there was some way to converse with people a long way away without traveling to where they are. Some long-range communication method, perhaps involving the use of those things called 'computers'.

Fail excuse. Xsyon dies while the devs take vacations. You are not dedicated.

I wasted my money buying Xsyon. I won't be wasting any more.

That was harsh and a little out of line.

You might be too new to know the history of this game, but let me fill you in. And please someone correct me if I'm wrong with any of this. This game has gone through a year long delay because the programmers were not being watched over the way they should have been, causing Jordi to have to rewrite most of the code himself. If proper supervision was done to begin with, this game would have launched a year ago. I can't imagine how hard it is to run a company with over seas staff without making some mistakes.

That being said, I think he has learned from those mistakes and trying not to repeat them. There is nothing wrong with traveling to where your staff is every now and then to relay your message and vision clearly, make sure they have a clear understanding of your expectations and make sure everything is being done properly. That is standard business practice.

I've been here since August and seen the hard work put into this game. You have my support, Jordi. Be a leader and do what you have to keep your team running smoothly.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 09:22 AM

Harsh yes, but not out of line.

You might be too new to know the history of this game, but let me fill you in. And please someone correct me if I'm wrong with any of this. This game has gone through a year long delay because the programmers were not being watched over the way they should have been, causing Jordi to have to rewrite most of the code himself. If proper supervision was done to begin with, this game would have launched a year ago. I can't imagine how hard it is to run a company with over seas staff without making some mistakes.

That being said, I think he has learned from those mistakes and trying not to repeat them. There is nothing wrong with traveling to where your staff is every now and then to relay your message and vision clearly, make sure they have a clear understanding of your expectations and make sure everything is being done properly. That is standard business practice.

I've been here since August and seen the hard work put into this game. You have my support, Jordi. Be a leader and do what you have to keep your team running smoothly.

It is also standard business practice to be sure what you sell works.

I don't care a jot about what soap opera dramas have been happening behind the scenes. Once you start selling your product, it had better be run professionally.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 09:31 AM

+1 well said.

Harsh yes, but not out of line.

It is also standard business practice to be sure what you sell works.

I don't care a jot about what soap opera dramas have been happening behind the scenes. Once you start selling your product, it had better be run professionally.

What NG is selling works. Its just not fully done yet. Like any MMO.

I think NG has done a good job overall about being professional. Im sure every company has employees that step out of line. They are corrected and a new policy is put into place to prevent it from happening again. Its very common.

Now you acting like a 1 year old without a bottle, well I wish that could be corrected.
We understand it, you are upset with the state of the game, you are upset with the set backs, you are upset with how some of the guides and people treat you. Well you act like a jerk, expect to be treated like one. I know I do it all the time, I dont expect people to not get upset with me.

Anyways, you have 100% right to leave. Xsyon has 100% right to boot you. If you dont like it, make a post on how to fix it, leave, deal with it, or email Jordi himself.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 09:44 AM
What NG is selling works.

Does comfort work? Do walls keep animals out? Does a roof keep the rain off you? Do your assigned points to skills work?

Its just not fully done yet. Like any MMO.

THAT is exactly why we have had so many lousy MMOs release in recent years. People like you making excuses for garbage.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Does comfort work? Do walls keep animals out? Does a roof keep the rain off you? Do your assigned points to skills work?

THAT is exactly why we have had so many lousy MMOs release in recent years. People like you making excuses for garbage.

Im really on your side but you not making the best points.

Can you name an MMO that has everything working on release? Just 1 please.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Im really on your side but you not making the best points.

Can you name an MMO that has everything working on release? Just 1 please.

Rift - but that's irrelevant. The issue is not perfection, it is 'fit for release'. Xsyon is not, yet it has been released.

Can you one successful MMO that had half of its features missing or broken at release?

BTW - using excuses like other MMOs are bad too, is NOT 'on my side'. You excuse what I decry.

Belight
05-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm a huge supporter of indie games and devs....

But seriously, there is a difference between "Some features not working" and "Hardly any features working". Sure, some MMOs may not have their fluff features in, but here we are talking basic core features that make or break the game. No decay? That's pretty serious...

This game is obviously, without a doubt, in beta (Server whipes, basic features being tested by the player base, etc)... Yet we are paying full AAA MMO prices. Slapping the title "Prelude" on the game does not correct this.

Throne
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Anyone who regularly works remotely knows there is a difference between working via VPN and calling into meetings and being able to be in the same room talking face to face with the people you're working with.

The risk of rework is easily much much higher in a remote working relationship, especially in development. Delays in communication to these forums regarding solid upcoming changes to the game should be expected at this point.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 10:04 AM
Anyone who regularly works remotely knows there is a difference between working via VPN and calling into meetings and being able to be in the same room talking face to face with the people you're working with.

Then hire people in the same city.

The risk of rework is easily much much higher in a remote working relationship, especially in development. Delays in communication to these forums regarding solid upcoming changes to the game should be expected at this point.

No. They should be expected before release. Not after.

Throne
05-16-2011, 10:04 AM

But seriously, there is a difference between "Some features not working" and "Hardly any features working"....

This game is obviously, without a doubt, in beta (Server resets, basic features being tested by the player base, etc)... Yet we are paying full AAA MMO prices. Slapping the title "Prelude" on the game does not correct this.

Turbine, with the full backing of Microsoft and all it's resources still had weeks worth of rollbacks in their first two years of Asheron's Call. This is an Indie game with the backing of no-one. Reality check folks.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Rift - but that's irrelevant. The issue is not perfection, it is 'fit for release'. Xsyon is not, yet it has been released.

Can you one successful MMO that had half of its features missing or broken at release?

BTW - using excuses like other MMOs are bad too, is NOT 'on my side'. You excuse what I decry.

Rift had missing stuff also.
Did you play Rift? I did. Try doing Greenscale week one. =P You didnt get loot for it.

Anyways I agree with you, thats a very valid point with 1/2 the features. Which is why release was delayed a year. Im expecting this month and next month to see many patches, unlike the last 10 months.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 10:05 AM

But seriously, there is a difference between "Some features not working" and "Hardly any features working"....

This game is obviously, without a doubt, in beta (Server resets, basic features being tested by the player base, etc)... Yet we are paying full AAA MMO prices. Slapping the title "Prelude" on the game does not correct this.

It's not even in beta. Server rollbacks should be solved before leaving alpha testing.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 10:07 AM

No. They should be expected before release. Not after.

You hire people in the same city, then you have issues of only having a dev team of 2 people. Instead of 5 people. Due to prices of wages.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Turbine, with the full backing of Microsoft and all it's resources still had weeks worth of rollbacks in their first two years of Asheron's Call. This is an Indie game with the backing of no-one. Reality check folks.

Indie does not mean a charity.

Another game being crap does not excuse this.

BTW, MineCraft was primarily developed by one man. It was in far better shape when it was first put up for purchase than Xsyon is.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Indie does not mean a charity.

Another game being crap does not excuse this.

I agree with this, but why dont you be productive instead of just trying to flame them? How is flaming them going to help in anyway?

Throne
05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Do I really have to explain the difference in the massive savings in overhead by hiring higher quality developers with great working experience at a 1/3rd the cost of unqualified American Grads with zero working experience?

If you don't first have IBDA stability for the company, you put yourself at risk of not having a game at all in the very short term.

Belight
05-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Your point is not going to keep people from canceling subs, and it doesn't make the game any more playable.

Past mistakes do not justify future ones... The community has been more than lenient thus far, your argument simply suggest putting on blinders and trudging forward.

No one expects the game to be perfect, but geeze, it's like barely playable.

Anyhow, I'm done here becasue I have no intention of flaming the game and devs. I support them, but I am realistic, and I don't intend to keep paying unless a ton of the features get turned on. I already gave them 40 bucks.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
See what happens when people have to decide whether to pay a sub fee or not.

If there hasn't been signficant improvement by then - then you few are really going to be lonely.

Your denials won't keep the game afloat.

Throne
05-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Your point is not going to keep people from canceling subs, and it doesn't make the game any more playable.

Past mistakes do not justify future ones... The community has been more than lenient thus far, your argument simply suggest putting on blinders and trudging forward.

No one expects the game to be perfect, but geeze, it's like barely playable.

Lenient? Compared to what?

So let's go ahead and name all the other Indie developed post apocalyptic, full sandbox, twitch based ffa-pvp, skill based character progression games out there so we can have an accurate comparison.

I try to keep my arguments factual and based on real game experience, it's not meant to save the game, it's meant to paint a realistic viewpoint. Whether anyone else agrees or not isn't actually part of the equation.

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

So let's go ahead and name all the other Indie developed post apocalyptic, full sandbox, twitch based ffa-pvp, skill based character progression games out there so we can have an accurate comparison.

I try to keep my arguments factual and based on real game experience, it's not meant to save the game, it's meant to paint a realistic viewpoint. Whether anyone else agrees or not isn't actually part of the equation.

I think the view point many are seeing is that they thought the game was more of a working game than a game in beta. Most understand why its not, just when they went to buy and pay for it they didnt expect it to progress so slowly (at least that's what I get out of it).

My point on the matter is, you can whine and bitch in 2 ways.
1) Just to flame people and get them upset and take out anger on the devs and fanbois.
2) You can post ways to make the game better, or help in other ways to make the game what you want.

Sometimes I do both, but I try to do #1 as little as I can, and #2 as much as I can.
Im here for a long time, I'm not going anywhere. Sure I might be playing other games, but I will do my best to try to help this game along.
One thing I do know is that you have fanbois (not calling you one or not) that will say ANYTHING to try to get more subs for the game. I think that's a bad idea and you wont see me saying it. I know many people in IRC and here on the forums that truly believe the game is "perfect", or that things like combat are working just fine.
Yet if I were to tell my friends to play this game for the combat, I would likely get my ass kicked. (Rightly so too IMO).

NorCalGooey
05-16-2011, 10:48 AM

But seriously, there is a difference between "Some features not working" and "Hardly any features working". Sure, some MMOs may not have their fluff features in, but here we are talking basic core features that make or break the game. No decay? That's pretty serious...

This game is obviously, without a doubt, in beta (Server whipes, basic features being tested by the player base, etc)... Yet we are paying full AAA MMO prices. Slapping the title "Prelude" on the game does not correct this.

I completely agree with you, yet I am still active in the game. There is still plenty to do if you have faith the game will be good and you want to have a head start compared to the players who didn't gut it out and waited 6 months to see how the game turned out

Throne
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm not afraid to admit I'm a huge fan of the ffa-pvp sandbox mmo genre.

Unfortunately, there's simply too much risk in it for big-time development studios, so here we are.

I know it's a risk to even think about spending 40 bucks on something we all know is still in an early stage of development, but there's reward in being at the beginning of something where individual players and their early communities can help establish what could be great memories and historical achievements at the beginning of what also could be a very long game-life.

Or, it could all crash and burn and we're out a few bucks.....and so goes the life of the ffa-pvp sandbox mmo fan.

I'm not afraid to admit I'm a huge fan of the ffa-pvp sandbox mmo genre.

Unfortunately, there's simply too much risk in it for big-time development studios, so here we are.

I know it's a risk to even think about spending 40 bucks on something we all know is still in an early stage of development, but there's reward in being at the beginning of something where individual players and their early communities can help establish what could be great memories and historical achievements at the beginning of what also could be a very long game-life.

Or, it could all crash and burn and we're out a few bucks.....and so goes the life of the ffa-pvp sandbox mmo fan.

Belight
05-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Lenient in that we didn't all demand refunds and leave after the first server rollback.

I don't think this game yet meets all the description given above. But off the top of my head I can name Eve Online, Fallen Earth, or DarkFall. No they aren't all post-apocalyptic, but I think that's really beside the point.

I don't entirely disagree with your viewpoint, I understand the dificulty of MMO development and how money rules the industry. However, none of that can be expected to satisfy the paying customer.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I completely agree with you, yet I am still active in the game. There is still plenty to do if you have faith the game will be good and you want to have a head start compared to the players who didn't gut it out and waited 6 months to see how the game turned out

At this point - it looks more likely that after a few months of sub fees, they will announce that Xsyon is shutting down.

I actually hope you are right, but I am not going to spend money and time in the hope that you are. If they get it to a decent playable state, then I will be back.

It's not just the money for me - it's the work and hope I put into it. I don't get into an MMO for a couple of months' fun. I try to find one that will entertain me for years.

Belight
05-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Yep, I gave them $40 bucks and cancelled my sub. If the $40 bucks doesn't get them through their early stages of development, then I'm sorry, but I'm not an investor.

If the game shapes up, they can have my monthly sub.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Yep, I gave them $40 bucks and cancelled my sub. If the $40 bucks doesn't get them through their early stages of development, then I'm sorry, but I'm not an investor.

If the game shapes up, they can have my monthly sub.

None of us is an investor. If Xsyon ends up making millions - we aren't going to get a penny of it.

We are customers, and a lot of us feel we are not getting what we paid for.

Jadzia
05-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Fail excuse. Xsyon dies while the devs take vacations.

Jordi went to vacation to Siberia, the famous tourist center. Lmao.

Dubanka
05-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Jordi went to vacation to Siberia, the famous tourist center. Lmao.

great fishing and hunting :)

Eduard
05-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Belight and Azhul_NS - I agree with all you said guys and I tried to say same thing over and over BUT its pointless to argue with ppl who don't think OBJECTIVE.

Game is barely in BETA and we pay to be beta testers - very sad idd. (cancelled my sub after giving 40$ and waiting)

ClayBacon
05-17-2011, 02:28 AM
QQ while i make my grass hats and pew pew... prelude title is pretty bullpoo tho