PDA

View Full Version : Is it any good?

Mortality
05-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Just been reading about the game, is it any good?

I have previously played similar games (according to MMORPG.com) like Wurm online (from its Beta) and Tale in the Desert (III, IV and V), how does it compare to those?

What is the crafting like?
What is the pvp like?

Added after 23 minutes:

How big is the game world, compare to say wurm or ATitD?

fotuenti
05-11-2011, 07:21 AM
it has a lot of potential, but i would advise waiting a few months before purchasing. in answer to your questions:

crafting is relatively simple but very grindy. there are many, many, many types of material to craft from and most of the recipes require a variety of tools to construct. it's your standard, open recipe, put mats and tools in recipe template, click craft. the fun part is there are many interdependencies between the various crafting specialties, so in theory this will help promote commerce within the game world. in practice many people just end up learning enough crafts to help them make all the stuff they really want. when items are crafted they have a quality based on the level of crafter and the quality of materials and tools used. at some point in the future the quality stuff will probably help people differentiate which crafts they are really good at and which crafts are just for utility.

pvp, needs work. as far as how it works, you have weapon swing mechanics and some dodge and block mechanics. the world is open pvp everywhere except for tribal totem lands which are safe zones for their tribe members. full looting is enabled, so if you die in the world you will have your pants taken :)

for the game world size, i don't know how it relates to wurm or atitd but it takes several hours to traverse the whole world and the terrain makes some routes very challenging. it seems to be a decent size and given the population it is more than enough room for everyone to find their space.

if you are really into trying out indie mmos and want to see another one in a beta-ish state then purchase, especially if you dig watching(and possibly helping) the world grow. if you prefer a more polished game with more finalized ideas then wait. if i had it to do over i would have waited purchasing this one, ymmv.

TE5LA
07-23-2011, 04:02 PM
I've read some posts here and people often answer to questions about the game in terms like "maybe soon", "probably should wait...", "perhaps someday", etc. A game with so many things lacking should be in beta testing, not selling for $40. A good example was the highly anticipated Star Trek Online, which even charged for lifetime memberships, when the game wasn't even half complete. Most players were disappointed and got their money refunded.

L0rd0fIvIetal
07-23-2011, 04:06 PM
I've read some posts here and people often answer to questions about the game in terms like "maybe soon", "probably should wait...", "perhaps someday", etc. A game with so many things lacking should be in beta testing, not selling for $40. A good example was the highly anticipated Star Trek Online, which even charged for lifetime memberships, when the game wasn't even half complete. Most players were disappointed and got their money refunded.

U smell like an alt but keep it up maybe u can help more ppl walk past this title

Willowhawk
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Wow Fahln, I have to wonder...... If you play Xsyon, why? You sure paint a grim picture.

This is certainly a sandbox game, however when I subscribe to sandbox games I do it with no expectations because I understand the nature of these small enterprises. If you come in with high expectations then you are diluting yourself to start with. It's easy to find fault with games, I can find a ton of fault with Wow yet millions still play it anyway. And what most of the complainers seem to leave out is the good positive aspects of the game. Since the most vocal complainants seem to play everyday, one has to guess that they enjoy the game a lot, or they are masochist. You can be your own judge :rolleyes:

I enjoy this game for many reasons. First off it's a new concept in gaming which is refreshing (I'm so sick of cookie cutter games I could puke). It's mostly a mature community (sadly there are always exceptions). And again I'm sick of playing with after school pre-pubescent obnoxious teens, and I don't play to baby sit adolescents.

What I think I enjoy most is the feel of a real natural environment. What I mean is there aren't mobs and people around every corner which is unrealistic. When you go hunting, you go hunting! I have spent a lot of time in real life in the mountains here in Colorado (and in this area of California some years back), and it has that feel. You can definitely get lost at first :D But once you get past that you can find your own little spot in the mountains or near the lake if you prefer less seclusion and more people interaction. I also love the fact that the game area map was taken from the actual USGS topographical map, you are playing in post apocalyptic Lake Tahoe, how cool is that LOL.

You can terraform to your hearts content (something I have not seen in any other game) You can build a mountain if you want. You can even create your own stream/river/fishing pond if you make your camp near usable water source, you just trench away until you get the water course you like. You can build a simple homestead or an elaborate village/town/city. You build anything from various stone type walls, stone pillars, tents and buildings, floors, gates roads and more. There aren't "templates" so everyone's town/village has a unique look and feel.

The other thing I enjoy is anticipating the next new concepts and additions. In games like WOW I'm good for about two months at a time then I'm bored and move on. It may be the same with Xsyon, but the next time you re-subscribe it's going to be a slightly different game with more new stuff as the world is ever evolving.

I know this is not a game for everyone, especially if you are expecting something like Wow or AOC etc. but if like me you like a casual game style and don't set your expectations unrealistically high for a sandbox game, this is one of the better ones I have played.

Dubanka
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow Fahln, I have to wonder...... If you play Xsyon, why? You sure paint a grim picture

it was a pretty accurate assessment of the game...from a purely mechanical standpoint.

in general the game is less a game and more a sim...because there is no point.

the terraforming system is really quite cool.
the building system, while tedious, lets you do quite a lot...I don't hate it.
In general the city building side of the game is great.

but that's it. your build your town, you grind your skills, and then...you grind some more skills. and then...yup you guessed it, grind some more skills. Why? so you can grind skills of course :)

Taking long walks in the virtual mountains and taking in the scenic vistas the game presents really is quite neat...but scenerery and walks in the virtual mountains to 2 shot a deer, a game does not make.

Summary:
If you've got $40 bucks to blow. It's worth your time. you'll get your money's worth out of it from the terraforming side of the game (if you like building stuff). Consider it a donation to the cause...so when you get bored in 2-4 weeks, you can say that you've invested in the future...and that maybe, just maybe, with the help of your 40 bones, the game might get to a point to where we could call it a game :) and it would be fun (for more than a week or 4)

Mactavendish
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM
I will admit it's probably not ready for most of the current crop of mmo players out there.

Most are younger, lacking in patience and have been trained by all other games to get things handed to them, which leads to an inflated sense of entitlement.

This game is much too hardcore for most. No map, no floating tips and no hand holding. Quests are made by players, there are NO npc's and you only have what you personally gathered or traded for.

I personally LOVE this!

This is also totally non-linear, which is the real definition of sandbox. You are not forced in any direction, and that's partly why folks don't seem to like it. They expected a ffa open loot PVP extravaganza, and that is not what this game is.

As time goes by, and things are turned on and features improved, the true sandbox players will come here. Most will really love it and stick around a long time.
Those that haven't gotten what they want won't.

What I have said here is NOT directed and any specific player, so please don't take any of it personal. These are MY views alone.

Mactavendish
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
To you, hardcore is smash/bash/stab KILL KILL KILL :)

To me it is no hand holding, no tool tips, no map no instructions, where you have to figure it out as you go and risk failing along the way, but eventually because of your EFFORT, you succeed in carving out your place in the game world.

With that definition in mind, I think it is probably too hard core for you as well ill.

MrDDT
07-28-2011, 03:20 PM
To you, hardcore is smash/bash/stab KILL KILL KILL :)

To me it is no hand holding, no tool tips, no map no instructions, where you have to figure it out as you go and risk failing along the way, but eventually because of your EFFORT, you succeed in carving out your place in the game world.

With that definition in mind, I think it is probably too hard core for you as well ill.

I dont mind any of that, is it to hardcore for me too?

My problem has nothing to do with tooltips, and maps, and instructions.
Its the 1000000s of clicks of the same actions without thought. Where is the feedback from the player that makes it even remotely hardcore?
I guess if you like mindless grinds doing the same actions over and over.

L0rd0fIvIetal
07-31-2011, 05:50 AM
If you think Xsyon is hard to figure out how to play, I can't imagine how you trudge through your real life.

LOL i even peed my self a bit hope to hear the guys answer to that one but he proly wont want to embaress him self