PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Load Times...

djoutsider711
05-12-2011, 01:48 AM
I have scoured the forums and the archives but cant find anything conclusive.

Having recently quit MO to try this out I was hoping (perhaps in vain) that Xsyon might be a bit smoother and along my desired play style.

So far the game seems great. Dare I say "has potential?

I have had the game not even a week and have spent 75% of my game time stuck in the loading screen.. what gives? Is there a certain login technique? Perhaps I need to reboot 3 times within a 10 minute window then listen to "The hamster dance" between the two logins?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

fotuenti
05-12-2011, 05:15 AM
if you are stuck at the "Loading Entities" part of loader screen, it has been normal in the past for that to take long periods of time to load. a month ago i would regularly spend 5-10 minutes on that screen. things seem to have gotten better since then. if you are stuck on loading entities there is not much to do, i believe the game is updating the local terrain changes since your last login.

warmslumbers13
05-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I noticed that older computers take longer to load the game. My 4 year old labtop takes 3 times longer to load Xyson than my 2 year old tower. Perhaps your problem is related to useless hardware.

MrDDT
05-12-2011, 03:47 PM
I noticed that older computers take longer to load the game. My 4 year old labtop takes 3 times longer to load Xyson than my 2 year old tower. Perhaps your problem is related to useless hardware.

I dont think its related.

I load in 60s or less, even my older computers. Its not the net either, I can download at 90% of my bandwidth and still get in about 60s.

Harmike
05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Also a new player here trying furiously to login but it's quite hard.

Today I have logged in the game maybe four times. Every time I have spent from 20 to 40 minutes in the "loading entities" screen.
Currently I'm trying to login it's been now 27 minutes and counting..

Is there any way to make this faster?
I have tried now three different computers (one laptop pc, macbook pro in parallels and macbook pro booted to Windows 7). I tried to set the details to the lowest possible, used VPN to route the connection differently; didn't notice any difference in time.

I have a big latency as I connect from Asia, does that affect this?

fotuenti
05-13-2011, 11:48 AM
just let it finish, the loading entities can take a while. it should become quicker on successive logins.

Harmike
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
just let it finish, the loading entities can take a while. it should become quicker on successive logins.

Yep, I let it load as long as it wants to every time.
During the last try the game reset itself back to the login screen with no error displayed.

Now trying again, 25 minutes has passed and only less than few hundred kilobytes loaded from net during this time (might not be by Xsyon but just some windows updater etc.)

Seems really strange as nearly no data moves and processor is doing pretty much nothing.

NorCalGooey
05-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I think it may also have to do with how often you log in. If you haven't logged in in two weeks, my guess would be to expect a much longer loading entities than if you were to log in daily.

Harmike
05-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Ok, problem solved.

I set up a VPN connection between me and the server which solved the problem.

As the server is in USA and I'm located in Thailand there could be a lot of hassle with the packet routing, latency, ACK packets etc.
I didn't go to details to find what is wrong, I just downloaded Hotspot Shield and ran the game. Whit the VPN connection enabled through Hotspot Shield it took only 2 minutes to load the entities and during that time game loaded less than three megabytes of data.

I also verified this with another computer, same result.

So, if someone is stuck in the loading entities screen this could be a solution also for you.

Now it's 3:30 am here, time to sleep and tomorrow I'll hop into the game :)

fotuenti
05-13-2011, 03:03 PM
sweet, congrats on the fix and thanks for the update that seems pretty useful.

silentyem
05-21-2011, 01:34 AM
So it takes a 3rd party program to be able to play the game and you people think that's ok? Wtf is going on here? I'm still stuck on the loading screen, I was able to log in once and found my windowed mode not the size i wanted, logged out to fix it and have been stuck on log in screen since. There is no way a game charging $40 and $15 a month should take this long to log in.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 06:54 AM
So it takes a 3rd party program to be able to play the game and you people think that's ok? Wtf is going on here? I'm still stuck on the loading screen, I was able to log in once and found my windowed mode not the size i wanted, logged out to fix it and have been stuck on log in screen since. There is no way a game charging $40 and $15 a month should take this long to log in.

If you are having problems contact support.
Also maybe getting on IRC for insta feedback for support sometimes. (IRC chat at the top is a link, also support at the top too is a link for that)

fotuenti
05-21-2011, 09:20 AM
So it takes a 3rd party program to be able to play the game and you people think that's ok?

well, in harmike's case he seems to have extenuating network circumstance. in general i would be very down on a game that required a third party app to run, i just don't see that as the case for 99% of the people playing. if you have some weird network issue that causes extreme packet loss, that might be outisde the realm of the developer's control.

silentyem
05-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Why would it only be this game then, I have no issues connecting to Rift and UO.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 09:49 AM
UO is like 10+ years old. It shouldnt take long to load at all.
Rift is made with like 50 devs, and its not a world at all like Xsyon. It even takes like 1.5mins for me to load.

Having said that, it only takes me like 1 to 2mins to load into Xsyon.
Contact support and figure out why.

Creator
05-22-2011, 06:00 AM
I to have this issue, with a 29mbps download 3mbps upload speed. A computer running windows 7, with i7 920 processor, msi 58x motherboard, 24gb of ram, dual nvidia 465 gtx's, and a 2 terrabyte hard drive.

It takes me roughly 3 - 7 minutes to login, longest times for loading seem to be zone and entity, and doesn't this belong in the support/bug/crash whatever thread as it is a topic about performance issues?

goodayve
05-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I have had some problems useing fullscreen in this game. Not sure if those problems are fixed, sicne I have been useing windowed mode for the game.

Maybe you could try windowed mode if fullscreen is loading slow.

I have 1920x1200 reso monitor and have been playing with a 1920x1080 resolution.

When i tried full screen I had it freeze once and also got a blue screen once, though it also played ok for awhile sometimes.

Creator
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I have had some problems useing fullscreen in this game. Not sure if those problems are fixed, sicne I have been useing windowed mode for the game.

Maybe you could try windowed mode if fullscreen is loading slow.

I have 1920x1200 reso monitor and have been playing with a 1920x1080 resolution.

When i tried full screen I had it freeze once and also got a blue screen once, though it also played ok for awhile sometimes.

I use default resolution windowed mode. but was a good suggestion.

silentyem
05-29-2011, 09:58 AM
I found that if I don't alt tab out of the game while its loading it will load in a couple minutes. For me alt tabbing while the game is loading means at least 1/2 hour load time. Don't know why that is.

Creator
05-30-2011, 04:14 AM
I found that if I don't alt tab out of the game while its loading it will load in a couple minutes. For me alt tabbing while the game is loading means at least 1/2 hour load time. Don't know why that is.

I believe a possibility is that xsyon requires x resources and may act as a priority program for loading, however when you go into another window or program the priority of xsyon decreases and other programs using system resources may be starving xsyon of processing power or ram allowance.

Does time decrease if you close down other programs and have you done alt + tab + delete and checked your computers resource monitor to see if you are maxing out your ram, cpu?

EDIT: Only problem with my theory is I have an i7 extreme, with 24g of ram, so if this were the case then my client would load nearly instantly, but instead takes still several minutes. Not sure what other factors are in play, but think this thread belongs in but or tech subforum.

wolfgar
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
5-10 min load times are the norm for me.. and i log in every day.. I have no idea what the issue is.. But i am getting a little fed up with it. Ive been playing games online and offline for years, And i have NEVER had a game take this long to load.

atm im going to try the VPN suggestion on page 1.

mehh VPN didn't do anything.. if anything it actualy made the loading take longer