PDA

View Full Version : Are YOU satisfied so far?

Mactavendish
05-16-2011, 12:32 PM
So many bash and trash threads, that I wanted to start something new.
( I fully expect the unhappy to again use a thread for their own use, and hijack this thread 6 ways from sunday... but Maybe they won't this time )

Question: Are you Satisfied so far with what you can do to have fun in the game?

For me the answer is YES.

I wanted a game where I could terraform and have a chance to leave a lasting mark on the game... I can do that

I wanted a game where animals have more natural reactions to people near by... deer flee, bears attack and coyotes try and eat you as they are starving... again It was what I wanted.

I wanted to be able to search for "treasures" and have them be useful... I'm a 100 scavenger... again I am satisfied.

I was looking to be able to build a cool town and have many options in how it could evolve and look... Doing all that now.

So...

What about YOU?

meissner61
05-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Yup I am satisfied. Though i guess for me its satisfaction mixed with greed. Greed for more content. I Think its pretty safe to say we all want more. But I am happy about the road we are taking there.

Azhul_NS
05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
No.

Is the thread hijacked now?

Belight
05-16-2011, 01:30 PM
No.

The game has potential and the devs have good philosophies....
But that's not enough to keep me paying to play.

I could get past the "blast from the past" graphics and gameplay if the core was solid, but unfortunatly it's not, at all.

Dubanka
05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
So many bash and trash threads, that I wanted to start something new.
( I fully expect the unhappy to again use a thread for their own use, and hijack this thread 6 ways from sunday... but Maybe they won't this time )

Question: Are you Satisfied so far with what you can do to have fun in the game?

For me the answer is YES.

I wanted a game where I could terraform and have a chance to leave a lasting mark on the game... I can do that

I wanted a game where animals have more natural reactions to people near by... deer flee, bears attack and coyotes try and eat you as they are starving... again It was what I wanted.

I wanted to be able to search for "treasures" and have them be useful... I'm a 100 scavenger... again I am satisfied.

I was looking to be able to build a cool town and have many options in how it could evolve and look... Doing all that now.

So...

What about YOU?

Going to have to say no.

Why?

For me, it's the lack of purpose. Yes you can do a lot of things, but ultimately the only end they serve is themselves.

I can build a city/house/town...why? well so i can build a town of course. What is the reason for doing so? because i want to build the coolest town ever. Why? So i can make high walls. But why? because. Do they keep players or animals out? not really, since there arent gates to keep players out and animals tend to go right through them. So why do you build them? because buildign them is cool/fun.

I can make xxx types of armor/weapons/tools...why? so i can make the best stuff possible? why? well so i have the best armor and weapons and stuff. Why? So i have the strongest walls, tools, armor, weapons, clothes, etc. Why do you need this? so my stuff is the best. Why? So i can defend myself against players and animals. So you need the best stuff to kill animals? not really, they die pretty easily with a low quality shovel. So you nneed the best stuff for fighting players? hell ya! So there are a lot of players to fight? Not really. But i thought it was ffa? it is, except in your tribal area, so you can sit in there until it is safe. So do you get to fight many players? not really. Why do you need the best stuff? because it's cool to have the best stuff.

I can pvp anywhere...why do you want to attack other players? because i love pvp. So you can attack players anywhere, and are always vulnerable? well not really. if you dont want to fight you can just stay in your safe zone. But you have to come out eventually? Not really. resources are pretty abundant, so for most things you dont have to go very far to get stuff. But there is competition for resources then? No, not really...well maybe trees...but thats because they were all cut down a while back...all tthe other resources are pretty much unlimited. So why do you pvp? because.

anyway, i don't feel like typing anymore...No purpose or point beyond the activiity itself does a game not make.

Book
05-16-2011, 02:33 PM
No.

Is the thread hijacked now?

Yes, but we have you surrounded. Put the keyboard down slowly and come out with your hands up.

I'm in a holding pattern. Still have fuel in both tanks, traffic's not all that complicated and I'm happy the tower is keeping me informed. For the moment, I'm satisfied to see activity down on the runway. Might all get cleared up before tanks run dry, and if not, well, I'll go through that checklist if the time comes.

Throne
05-16-2011, 02:48 PM
I've only ever been satisfied with two games. Asheron's Call post 2002 and SWG Post-CU;Pre-NGE.

This game does not satisfy me currently, but it does offer me things I've not seen in other games, so they could hold me over until the game develops into what they are describing on the home page.

Jadzia
05-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Yes, but we have you surrounded. Put the keyboard down slowly and come out with your hands up.

This made me lol :)

I enjoy the game so far. I like to explore and look for new spots, and lately we can even meet animals out there ! I like to craft armors and mix the parts to create new outfits :p
I do enjoy the very helpful and friendly community (ingame, not on forum).
I'm skilling up...though it has no purpose right now. But I hope it will have, and I train my skills for that time. If they add comfort, decay, some more building options and open up new lands I'll be very happy with the game.

NorCalGooey
05-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Going to have to say no.

Why?

For me, it's the lack of purpose. Yes you can do a lot of things, but ultimately the only end they serve is themselves.

I can build a city/house/town...why? well so i can build a town of course. What is the reason for doing so? because i want to build the coolest town ever. Why? So i can make high walls. But why? because. Do they keep players or animals out? not really, since there arent gates to keep players out and animals tend to go right through them. So why do you build them? because buildign them is cool/fun.

I can make xxx types of armor/weapons/tools...why? so i can make the best stuff possible? why? well so i have the best armor and weapons and stuff. Why? So i have the strongest walls, tools, armor, weapons, clothes, etc. Why do you need this? so my stuff is the best. Why? So i can defend myself against players and animals. So you need the best stuff to kill animals? not really, they die pretty easily with a low quality shovel. So you nneed the best stuff for fighting players? hell ya! So there are a lot of players to fight? Not really. But i thought it was ffa? it is, except in your tribal area, so you can sit in there until it is safe. So do you get to fight many players? not really. Why do you need the best stuff? because it's cool to have the best stuff.

I can pvp anywhere...why do you want to attack other players? because i love pvp. So you can attack players anywhere, and are always vulnerable? well not really. if you dont want to fight you can just stay in your safe zone. But you have to come out eventually? Not really. resources are pretty abundant, so for most things you dont have to go very far to get stuff. But there is competition for resources then? No, not really...well maybe trees...but thats because they were all cut down a while back...all tthe other resources are pretty much unlimited. So why do you pvp? because.

anyway, i don't feel like typing anymore...No purpose or point beyond the activiity itself does a game not make.

a 12 year old should be able to understand that....great post. theres no purpose behind most of it and of course the economy is extremely over supplied except the trees

Aethaeryn
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM

I'm in a holding pattern. Still have fuel in both tanks, traffic's not all that complicated and I'm happy the tower is keeping me informed. For the moment, I'm satisfied to see activity down on the runway. Might all get cleared up before tanks run dry, and if not, well, I'll go through that checklist if the time comes.

Wow I thought I took analogies a little too far sometimes :)

I am feeling sort of "meh" about the game. I still log in the odd time but I am not feeling like there is much point. I will stick with it for now though since what there is was enough to make other games seem far to static.

cbowsin
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Yup. I'm satisfied so far.

Melaquinn
05-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Def satisfied. I have land to terraform to MY liking, animals to kill, junk to scavenge and sort and craft from. I can spend the day fishing or rock hunting (obsidian/chalk).

Zarin
05-16-2011, 05:32 PM
No. I feel that to say i'm satisfied, i'm saying that I could continue to play the game at the current state it's at.

While I like the current features a lot and am excited to see where the game's headed, it's still mainly lacking content, combat, and some basic game elements. However I feel (or at least hope) that it wont be long before i'm starting to become satisfied with the game.

Hanover
05-16-2011, 06:19 PM
No...

It really has zero entertainment value after the initial "wow factor".

Yzandor
05-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Yes, but i feel like my yes would go to a NO if i play it too often...lack of content could make it kinda boring in the long run. Right now im ok, thanks to my job/wife/kid, they keep me afk often! Xsyon is my cool ''island'' where i land to decompress.

Yz

MrDDT
05-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes.
Its a work in progress and lacking a lot of the features and content, but Im happy with the base of the game so far. There are issues with combat, rare limited resources, crafting is boring etc.

But I look at the base of the game. Terraforming, would building, open PVP, looting, FPS style combat, and resources etc. All great, and sure its not meshed up perfect, but I understand where they are at and they are working to get there.

orious13
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Satisfied... I guess... in the sense that I got more out of it for 40 dollars than I did through some 60 dollar console game lasting all but 10 hours of play with endless static pvp. I was much more satisfied last month than I am today :). Still...it was worth 40.

Koll
05-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I am satisfied with the Terraforming, the overall look and graphic of the game, the fact that you can really cutdown trees and dig holes. The large variety of material that can be used.

I am dissatisfied with the lack of a real economy due to the large amount of resources and the lack customization option; why do make items x, I need mat y and z. Why cant I try mat u and see what happens ? I dont like the pvp much either... no real skills involved. Animals have good A.I. but I got bored fast that hunting animals always revolves around bears, coyotes and deers. I am dissatisfied with the fact that most tents are useless.

This was said over and over again but I think the game got overhyped and as a result lots of people bought it but quickly realized that it was release too fast with really only 10% of the promised content. They should have waited a bit longer before releasing it; all the things they no promise to do in the long run look cool but when will they come ??? months from now ? a year ? SV did the same with MO and it went downhill right after release because of that and now the population has been stagnating at a minimum with a few noobs now and then and some fans that still believe it will rise out of its ashes someday. By the looks of it Xsyon is heading this way too. That is until some game developers take their time to work on a finish product until they release it. Then that game will suck the life out of all the Xsyon, MO and other stagnating Sandbox MMO.

I know this sound pretty negative but I really admire the drive of the Xsyon team and am looking forward to see what the new patch will deliver. Push come to shove, its a game, life goes on and so will most of us will.

Eduard
05-17-2011, 12:27 AM
NO! (... and 10 char rule kick in.)

fotuenti
05-17-2011, 05:56 AM
not satisfied, i used to log in daily to do my stuff but recently i've grown pretty bored and i'm basically running out of things to do that entertain me. all in all it was worth the $40 for the 2-3 months i've played, but probably not much more for me.

banden
05-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Well yes, I got exactly what I came for so I am satisfied. I am not overjoyed, and i feel like many of you that there is not enough to do and that Im playing a game that only have 2 thirds of the basic features in. I am willing to wait for the rest because i simply adore the concept and it is exactly what i was looking for.

You have to understand that this is something that will grip you in most sandbox MMOs because far along the way you make your own game. To a certain extent. Right now a lot of the things that would make a game like this fun is simply not in yet. Open world PVP and territorial PVP and all the juicy player created content that follows would improve vastly on the "things to do" problem.

jemmus
05-17-2011, 07:52 AM
Yes, liking it. Enjoy the 3D world, the day and night cycle and the 4 seasons. Terraforming can be an artform-- just compare some of the good camps with some of the abandoned disasters around the lake. Happy to see that some of the mouthier and more obnoxious people people who joined in the beginning are now gone. : ) Enjoying the improvement of the game (elimination of zone lag, more animals and more varieties of them, introduction of item quality). Patiently watching for item decay, animal taming and shamanism to be implemented. And with what we have now, I still don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do in the game.

Mactavendish
05-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks for keeping it civil folk!

I think many have gotten so involved in what they cannot do, that they are completely blind to what they CAN do.

Let me give you an example...

Let's say there is a lone griefer running around clear cutting the forest, and turning junk piles into roadway. What CAN you do about such a player?

Most will say Grief him back! Camp him and kill him a few hundred times and he will move on. Alas, HE can just pick up his totem, and stay mobile and and wait for anyone moving their totem to enter the 6 hour waiting period, and just drop a totem in their spot, take anything he wants out of baskets, and destroy all buildings at will. My oh MY!!! what can you do about that!?!?

You CAN build a wall around your entire radius, probably out of tall dirt, making sure to leave only a very small entrance that you block before picking up the totem for an upgrade. If there are no places he can get stuck, he cannot use the /unstuck trick, and ALL your buildings will be safe. He may enjoy the attention that griefing gives him, but if you simply remove the possibility, THEN he will get bored with you and move on. And there is just no way he can "roadover" all the junk piles even in your area. there are just too many and it takes time... remember he wants attention not tedious WORK.

There are so many things we CAN do if we all stop worrying about what is not in game yet... It may lead you to realize that you have plenty to entertain you, especially if you are in a group and not solo.

Belight
05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Griefing wouldn't be much of an issue if the core features were all working properly.

Eduard
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for keeping it civil folk!

I think many have gotten so involved in what they cannot do, that they are completely blind to what they CAN do.

Let me give you an example...

Let's say there is a lone griefer running around clear cutting the forest, and turning junk piles into roadway. What CAN you do about such a player?

Most will say Grief him back! Camp him and kill him a few hundred times and he will move on. Alas, HE can just pick up his totem, and stay mobile and and wait for anyone moving their totem to enter the 6 hour waiting period, and just drop a totem in their spot, take anything he wants out of baskets, and destroy all buildings at will. My oh MY!!! what can you do about that!?!?

You CAN build a wall around your entire radius, probably out of tall dirt, making sure to leave only a very small entrance that you block before picking up the totem for an upgrade. If there are no places he can get stuck, he cannot use the /unstuck trick, and ALL your buildings will be safe. He may enjoy the attention that griefing gives him, but if you simply remove the possibility, THEN he will get bored with you and move on. And there is just no way he can "roadover" all the junk piles even in your area. there are just too many and it takes time... remember he wants attention not tedious WORK.

There are so many things we CAN do if we all stop worrying about what is not in game yet... It may lead you to realize that you have plenty to entertain you, especially if you are in a group and not solo.

You CAN play tetris to! YEEEY!!!!

Mactavendish
05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
NOT hardly ill'un

There are plenty of players still playing, because as this thread proves... most are still having entertainment and can wait for more.

PeonSanders911
05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Game has potential, but needs more PvP. Get rid of the safezones ( still keep belongings safe) and put in gates.
The reason no one is playing now, is that there is nothing to do...........

Without PvP, this game is going to die....we gotta get something that is GvG.....asset destruction, and city takeovers......old Shadowbane style.

Jadzia
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Everyone who replied in this thread are the only ones left playing the game.

Are you going to pay a monthly fee to play the forum game ? Or you'll be gone in 2 weeks, Ill ?

I don't know how many people play the game. But every day I log in there are like 2-3 new players in my area. Seriously. I'm actually surprised by it seeing how bad comments Xsyon gets on the gaming sites.

Mactavendish
05-17-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't know if any of you remember a game called Horizons.

It was a PvE NO pvp whatsoever. and it was also a building and crafting game.

Even after 7 years on bad management, poor support and let me repeat NO pvp,
It is still going strong. and if does not have even half of what this game has now.

You cannot Terraform, you cannot make anywhere as many combinations of armor, and crafting is not as involved nor is Item quality a factor. Most thing in Horizons are a simple grind. There is no economy and nobody trades for anything as everyone can literally be all classes.

When I left the guild I founded 6+ years earlier we had 200 members, 50 active most days and owned 10 towns.

This game beats that one like a dead rented mule.

No. Xsyon will be fine, and we will still be playing long after "some" are no longer even remembered. Um... who was I talking to again?

MrDDT
05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Horizons, has a working econ, and working combat.

You dont need much more. But it has a lot more, it has limited rare resources, it has things to fight over, it has building of houses, and sooo many other things.
It also has Dragons that you can play as a race. IMO extra win there.

Hanover
05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
I don't know if any of you remember a game called Horizons.

LOL... Nice preface, it must be doing great.

Azhul_NS
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
No. Xsyon will be fine, and we will still be playing long after "some" are no longer even remembered. Um... who was I talking to again?

Only the choir, preacher.

You dont need much more. But it has a lot more, it has limited rare resources, it has things to fight over, it has building of houses, and sooo many other things.
It also has Dragons that you can play as a race. IMO extra win there.

If the houses keep out animals and the weather, I'd say BIG win there.

I almost lost a fight with a hamster today.

Jadzia
05-17-2011, 03:36 PM

How can they fight over things if there is no PvP ? You mean diplomacy ? Or just yelling at each others ? :p

Azhul_NS
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
How can they fight over things if there is no PvP ? You mean diplomacy ? Or just yelling at each others ? :p

Perhaps they have people spread unfounded propoganda about them online?

Jadzia
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Perhaps they have people spread unfounded propoganda about them online?

Heheh. Thats an option too :p

Edit: its nice to hear that you survived the hamster attack ! ;)

Hodo
05-17-2011, 04:12 PM
The answer for me would be....

NO

Unfortunately the game just isnt finished enough for me to consider it worth it yet. I logged in a grand total of twice in the 2 months I have owned this game. And if it werent for the fact that I often forget that its on my hard drive I would have unsubbed by now.

boomer0901
05-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Most definitly not, I'll check back in a couple of months, help out my tribe when I can on our forums and see what updates are getting put in before I re-sub.

But I'll be back.

MrDDT
05-17-2011, 05:15 PM

It wasnt done with PVP, it was done with PVE.

mrcalhou
05-17-2011, 07:38 PM
No, not at all. Reasonable solutions keep getting overlooked. Also, the color and lighting really does a wonder to my eyes.

Dzarren
05-18-2011, 03:46 AM
No Cancelled subscription

HyBrasil
05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes. I am satisfied with this game.

Current tally (assuming there are no alt-votes):

Yes - 14
No - 13

outfctrl
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
When I bought the game over a month ago. I thought I was going to play a game like Ultima Online only on steroids. The game became very boring.
No fun
I cancelled my sub.

psyrox2k
05-20-2011, 08:42 AM
No, I login about 5 minutes at a clip once a week for the past month or so, I came on today to try to cancel my subscription but it's not possible yet. I spent tons of time crafting and building a town or whatever, I could make nearly the best stuff and it was all for nil. I liked the fact you could build things anywhere you wanted and there was some tactical aspect out there, but the PVP setup, and safety zones, and useless crafting for a long period of time, made me feel like I was just wasting time. Things that were fun for me the first few weeks became tedious and a hassle, and most of the people I associated with in game stopped logging in as well. The PVP was terrible. This game was NOT ready to be sold, and is in alpha stage at best, and I honestly wish I could get my money back. If they redo the engine a bit, and make the crafting worthwhile, then I can see this game being very cool, but as things stand now, it's just not complete enough to hold my interest.

Hanover
05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Yes. I am satisfied with this game.

Current tally (assuming there are no alt-votes):

Yes - 14
No - 13

I think the lack of respondents is rather telling. You only need to log in to see who's satisfied...

Mactavendish
05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
The lack of respondents only means that many that were posting on these boards have quietly stopped due to the rampant complaining .. and they just don't want to battle the know it all.

It's odd that Some tribes are growing and some are fading... whats really telling is what type is fading out..

Hanover
05-20-2011, 03:41 PM
The lack of respondents only means that many that were posting on these boards have quietly stopped due to the rampant complaining .. and they just don't want to battle the know it all.

Oh please... then why'd you make the post?

Apparently they dont want to "battle" in game either, because they aren't there.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 03:42 AM

If someone is a know-it-all, then you should be learning from their wisdom, not battling them.

China
05-21-2011, 04:44 AM
If someone is a know-it-all, then you should be learning from their wisdom, not battling them.

–noun
1. a person who acts as though he or she knows everything and who dismisses the opinions, comments, or suggestions of others.

Yep, that's who I'd listen to. :rolleyes:

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 04:46 AM
–noun
1. a person who acts as though he or she knows everything and who dismisses the opinions, comments, or suggestions of others.

Yep, that's who I'd listen to. :rolleyes:

Now, look up irony.

China
05-21-2011, 04:50 AM
Now, look up irony.

Sorry, didn't realize you were being ironic. :)

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 05:01 AM
Sorry, didn't realize you were being ironic. :)

No worries. I know it doesn't translate well online. I just dislike using emotes. ;)

Chewybunny
05-22-2011, 09:28 AM
It is almost funny how the stereotype of games that are designed by programmers turn out to be true, and Xsyon is one of those games. A game that's convoluted with extreme complexity, but poor design features into thoroughly exploring, and having actual fun with that complexity.

Lot's of great ideas in this game. And to see them exist in a game is amazing. Terraforming- a great feature, a fun feature.
Building towns anywhere from scratch? Great idea.
Having a totally open world sandbox experience, probably the best idea.
But each one of these lacks purpose, aesthetic appeal, and at times just way too boring and time consuming to complete.

And before someone goes complaining that this game is too hard for someone like me. It's not hard. There is a difference between tedious boredom and difficulty. It isn't that hard to run up to a tree chop it down and drag it to your town. It isn't that hard to push a few buttons and erect a wall or structure. It's just pointlessly time-consuming. This game is nothing but time-sink after time-sink, after time-sink.

Basic UI design choices are poor, an example was that I had to manually select every single resource when crafting an object. Why not implement a system by which if I build it once, I can click on a button and as long as I have the required materials in my backpack, why not just make it? Why do I have to click on each and every one? It's not going to make the game harder, it's just a poor design choice that makes the player's job of crafting something even more tedious than it needs to be. And it isn't like this idea is all that revolutionary...virtually every modern MMO that I know of uses this system when it comes to crafting.

Artwork: the game's artwork isn't all that old school as people think. In fact the modeling, texturing, and everything else is modern, it's just inconsistent and improperly lit that makes it look like it's something old school. The problem here is choices in art-direction. A lot of the trees have a hand-painted bark texture to it. Indeed a lot of assets do, however, some terrain textures are clearly photographic textures rather than hand painted. And if you are going to go with the art direction that has more hand painted textures, then you also have to give it a proper lighting, that is, increase the saturation of your light colors a bit. Give that yellow light a bit more yellow, the secondary red light a bit more hue, and at third light to be blue, or violet (with only a third of intensity of the other two) and you got yourself an entirely new and aesthetically pleasing visual game.

Gameplay and visual enhancements: If you are going to go for the skill-based player progression system as you did, it would be prudent to take note of the very first MMOs to impliment such a system; Ultima Online. Namely, inserting a decimal into your skill number would help a lot. How you ask? It has to do with risk vs reward and player psychology; Let's assume it takes two players 3 hours each to get 1 skill point in any particular skill. Player 1 starts with let's say 20 skill points. They do everything in their power and effort and in 3 hours, it goes up to 21 skill points. In the meantime, the three hours gone into, the player is virtually unaware if his skill is improving or not, to see the reward they have to wait three hours of work. Player 2 starts with 20 points, and every 18 or so minutes he get's a message saying that his skill went up by 0.1. In the end of the 3 hours they will see that their skill went up to 21.0 points. In the three hours that they played they got 10 visual rewards (that is, a clear sign that a player is advancing) every 18 or so minutes... Proper risk vs reward design is what makes an mmo stand out. And I know it's going to spark the ire of dozens of players here, as it is forbidden to say such words in any other mmo forum, but it is the risk vs reward design that World of Warcraft implemented that contributed heavily into it's popularity, and success.

ColonelTEE3
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
@Chewy, because im not quoting that wall of text even though i read it,

Where is the risk vs reward in that? I understand by what you mean regarding the need for progress updates in skilling up. I would say you don't even need a "message" or an update to tell you. Just being able to press 'k' and say "oh cool, blades is at 25.1 now, im getting somewhere", would be enough.

That said, i don't see where risk vs reward is a part of this issue. This seems to me more of an issue of improving morale during grinding.

Creator
05-22-2011, 09:45 AM
world of warcraft is popular for its risk vs reward.. cause the game has no damn risk.. other than failing to beat a dungeon after failing at it for what 3 weeks just to go look at me guys... so epic!

Drevar
05-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Replace "risk" with "work" to see his point more clearly. It is the same psychological concept as risk vs reward, I just think most players see risk as literally meaning "you can die and lose your stuff".

Chewybunny
05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Rather than having to wait 3 hours to see that awareness (a visual cue is the best in my opinion) you are given one every 18 minutes (in my example). Seeing a reward for your efforts gives meaning to your work and game-play, that is the risk vs reward I am referring to. I am risking 3 hours of my time, and how much reward do I want in that time. If I have to wait 3 hours to see a number go only up once, it isn't as rewarding as seeing a number go up ten times, even though the end result is the same in-game value.

Furthermore, it seems more or less random in this game (when you get your skill to go up), so seeing it as a decimal happen a lot more frequently will give players that psychological boost.

Think of it as an experience bar. Every time you fell a monster your bar moves up a little bit, it gives you a visual cue that hey, you just fell a monster, here is the reward: some exp. Experience bars are not as immersive or deep but they are a simple gauge by which players can determine their own advancement in the game. You can do the same with skill-based system.

And improving morale during grinding is what's going to keep players playing. Which is the ultimate purpose of this game isn't it?

I wouldn't know the state of World of Warcraft as of now, I stopped playing it in 2006. So I am speaking from memory of 5 years ago; but risk is a largely subjective thing. I came from playing EverQuest for 4 years prior to WoW, so a risk vs reward concept was already skewed for me, considering every time you died in EverQuest you lost 10% of your level's total exp. Saying that, World of Warcraft minimized that kind of risk, and attracted a large audience for it. Xsyon is a game, made by a game company, their interest is self-sustainability and growth, that requires more and more players.

If you're afraid that this game is going to get too easy for you, I got to ask, what's so damn difficult about Xsyon?

Creator
05-22-2011, 10:05 AM
two great things this game could do... to boost reward...

entropia universe... regardless of your feelings pro or con about it... had rare loots called globals.... where a player would get a unusually high amount of loot of a kill or find and their name across global chat. they also received trumpets and swirlies. the next lvl was hof (hall of fame ).. or that days top 100 loots/kills bigger swirlies... bigger reward even bolder text. then was ath ... all time highs. the top 100 finds or kills ever in game.

people love to be on top, people love to be recognized and seen as active, it would also make the game feel more alive and active. I knew people who would dump thousands of USD$ a month into depositing to go out hunting just cause they were addicted to swirls, chance loots and the trumpets.

they did the same for rare items, first to find or achieves... item discoveries or first time crafts also. A few other games have used this tactic as well...

anyways you get the point add the same effect for lvls other than.. hiya hooowowow... and do so for skill points to more suddle but you get the idea. this will make people smile, and push them on to the next important skill gain or mark.

Chewybunny
05-22-2011, 10:42 AM
I agree with you, Perefim

Meziahn
05-26-2011, 09:12 AM
No, not satisfied... Though i'm still keeping track of the game, the most I have done is checked the forum once every other week or so to look at updates, nothing yet to make me come back.... Great idea that just hasn't come together yet. I'll stick to my current sandbox mmo for now

My main reasons?

1. The environment is dull
2. Too many "core" features not implemented ( Mining, agriculture, breeding, building customization among a hundred other features that can be found in another sandbox )
3. Too easy to grind up skills

Koll
05-28-2011, 10:36 PM
All this ^^^^^ makes sense. The game still feels like its in development... problem is I spent many hours building our lil place and ima not ready to let it go to the next noob that happen to occupy our land.

So I'll resub... for now.

tilla
05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Honestly at this point Wurm Online - a java based, old game that can be played for free or for a small monthly fee for some perks - does better at being what I was hoping Xsyon would become than Xyson is now. Not good. I like Jooky, I really do - he is a nice dude in all my contact with him - but I cannot pay for Xsyon in it's present state.

ColonelTEE3
05-30-2011, 10:35 AM
People's opinion just might change a bit in a couple days if we get the chance to test out this new combat revamp. Very interested to see how this goes. It will determine if the remaining pvpers will continue their sub, i suspect, because i would say that right now our "satisfaction" is banking on it. Although maybe i shouldn't speak for all pvp focused players.

MrDDT
05-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Ya it depends. If they add in a other stuff ya, or if this combat revamp is just horrid like what we have now. I can see a lot of the PVPers leaving (and many others just not subbin).
But thats pretty clear anyways haha.

Im having fun in game even with the poor combat, and most would call me a PVPer. (some would call me other bad things but hey)

dem1urge
05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
On a scale of -10 to 10 (-10 being most dissatisfied and 10 being most satisfied, zero being 'meh'). I fluctuate between -1 to 1.

VeryWiiTee
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Yup I am satisfied. Though i guess for me its satisfaction mixed with greed. Greed for more content. I Think its pretty safe to say we all want more. But I am happy about the road we are taking there.

Yes I am, and I find it funny that the content is there.. People just don't utilize it. You got quests, you got buildings you can stay in, you got animals and wood you can log.. Actually, the only content there isn't is dungeons and/or instances. Which is what I think most people think of when they say 'content'.. If you want a dungeon, go terraform it, build it and get a guide to fill it with creatures.

Srsly.. I already broke several tools just because I had to craft housing materials.. There is your content.. xD.. Someone bring me more free buckets please!

MrDDT
06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Yes I am, and I find it funny that the content is there.. People just don't utilize it. You got quests, you got buildings you can stay in, you got animals and wood you can log.. Actually, the only content there isn't is dungeons and/or instances. Which is what I think most people think of when they say 'content'.. If you want a dungeon, go terraform it, build it and get a guide to fill it with creatures.

Srsly.. I already broke several tools just because I had to craft housing materials.. There is your content.. xD.. Someone bring me more free buckets please!

I agree with you mostly, but other content Im looking for are reasons for fighting.

Right now, I see no reason to fight other than the "fun" of it. You have almost no rare resources, and if they are rare they are not all that needed. Exporting goods is just about worthless without using the "exploit" as I call it of dying with all the goods on you.
Animal (mobs) content is really lacking. AI is retarded to say the least. Also Im looking for harder rare monsters. Like maybe a bearat or a Pitbulldeer.

Thats the kinda content Im looking for and asking when I ask for content. I dont need dungeons or instances. But monsters that attack your tribe area, or break walls, or maybe raid monsters that reward you with extra rare loot. I would love to see a major undead bear that kills people in 2 hits and has like 20x the HP of a normal bear. That has special attacks that maybe does AOE health decay or something.

VeryWiiTee
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
You are right. The reason to fight over resources are somewhat.. Meh.. That doesn't mean you can't do it.
I suggest that they add a few rare resources with the totem expansion patch. That way they could get some fighting started. (But this game wasn't meant to be the siege game everyone, apparently, think it should be.. Might wanna consider that before you start getting too much PVP IS TEH ONLEH THING..!)

I know Lux Arcana holds the trashpile, close to us, very dear and we don't like strangers on it. Even though trash is easy to access.. :)

Aiden
06-03-2011, 11:38 AM
You are right. The reason to fight over resources are somewhat.. Meh.. That doesn't mean you can't do it.
I suggest that they add a few rare resources with the totem expansion patch. That way they could get some fighting started. (But this game wasn't meant to be the siege game everyone, apparently, think it should be.. Might wanna consider that before you start getting too much PVP IS TEH ONLEH THING..!)

I know Lux Arcana holds the trashpile, close to us, very dear and we don't like strangers on it. Even though trash is easy to access.. :)

Though I get frustrated from time to time, I agree with this. When I first looked at the game, I read this post http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/massively-exclusive-jordi-grau-davis-answers-our-xsyon-question/ to get a good idea of what I was getting in to. That was four months ago and even then Jordi was saying that he didn't want this to be another FFA PVP PWNZORS UR FACE N' KILL EM ALL game. There are several of those out there right now and they're doing...spectacular I hear lol...

There's a lot to do...there could certainly be more (as posted by MrDDT)...but most people don't seem interested in using what's there to shape their sandbox world (which is what most of them claim to want). Most of them seem to want nothing more than another big box that they can stomp around in beating the hell out of everyone they see...

As to the OP...I'm satisfied for now. Sure I want more, but better to give my money to a company TRYING to do something different than pump another $15.00 into the army of snorefests and mediocrity out there...

unclean666
06-03-2011, 11:44 AM
^^^agreed im plenty happy with the game as it is and it will only get better in time.But im also a cheap date.

Chewybunny
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Amazing how easily you disregard legitimate complaints and use a strawman to square the blame it on either pvpers or people unwilling to develop a world even though thats what they claim to want.
Yeah, I want to build the world around me, but I want to build it while having fun too. And simply put, in no way, shape or form, was building things in Xsyon in anyway fun. It was nothing but purposeful time-sinks as I put before. Hell, click on a tree, and watch your little dude spend the next 5 seconds whacking at it with an axe. Yeah, fun there man, I get to trigger a 5 second animation loop! Oh and then I have to drag the log one at a time back to my home base, and then I have to do this 100 more times, so I can start practicing building useless walls and structures that serve no real function except an aesthetic kick ass. Well, if I wanted a cheap aesthetically kick ass with no real functionality to it, I'll go play mine-craft, cheaper and no subscription.

Zarin
06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Amazing how easily you disregard legitimate complaints and use a strawman to square the blame it on either pvpers or people unwilling to develop a world even though thats what they claim to want.
Yeah, I want to build the world around me, but I want to build it while having fun too. And simply put, in no way, shape or form, was building things in Xsyon in anyway fun. It was nothing but purposeful time-sinks as I put before. Hell, click on a tree, and watch your little dude spend the next 5 seconds whacking at it with an axe. Yeah, fun there man, I get to trigger a 5 second animation loop! Oh and then I have to drag the log one at a time back to my home base, and then I have to do this 100 more times, so I can start practicing building useless walls and structures that serve no real function except an aesthetic kick ass. Well, if I wanted a cheap aesthetically kick ass with no real functionality to it, I'll go play mine-craft, cheaper and no subscription.

Xsyon has built a good "sandbox," however it's still missing the much need "game" mechanics.

Sirius
06-03-2011, 02:48 PM
HELL YES

My $80 bought me the right to spend two months on the forums arguing with twits about a non-existent game.

Money well spent.

Hanover
06-03-2011, 02:50 PM
HELL YES

My $80 bought me the right to spend two months on the forums arguing with twits about a non-existent game.

Money well spent.

LOL...I'll agree on that point

Sirius
06-04-2011, 08:01 AM
That was sarcasm. The gameplay I experienced was worth about $10-$15. Beyond that it was a waste, and had I had any inkling of the crap they were going to pull I never would have paid a dime. And the rude hardline their customer service took when I inquired about a refund ensured that they'll never see another dime from me.

Frankly I am unsurprised that since I posted that yesterday (Friday/Saturday), only 5 more posts have appeared on these forums.