PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding Durability and Decay

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 09:30 AM
There are going to be a hundred questions about this. Lets keep it in this thread for now so the devs can read it all in one place, k?

p.s. it looks like theres a bug with tooltips on inventory items right now where they stay on your screen if you close your inventory before moving your cursor away. Open and close your inventory [i] - [i] to get rid of it.

i'll update this with my questions in a second

Durability disappearing / reappearing

I looked at my bin full of metal sheets. 99% of them didn't show any classification of durability. 1 of them did, when i hovered over it once, it said Very High Durability. I moved away from it, and back to it, and the durability class was gone. I don't know what i did, but i somehow replicated the same thing and managed to see the durability once more, but moving my cursor away and back again made it disappear. Same thing happened with one of my wooden blocks -- i got it to show moderate durability, moved away, moved back again, and it was gone.

I have not "seen" any durability classifications on logs, leather, metal scrap, or plastic scrap, but i believe its there, just not showing up. My metal usually doesn't show it but because 1 of them did, i think they all have durability. Thread consistently shows durability. There is currently a big issue with making other resources durability show up though

As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the items in my camp, of all types, seem to lack identifiable durability or condition. I dont know which ones lack it, or which ones simply aren't showing up.

Preorder weapons

When i looked at my little combat blade, it said pristine, moderate low durability. My mutilator says nothing about condition or durability. Every weapon in camp that ive found, both crafted and found, have dura and condition, except my mutilator. This leads me to believe it's not an identification problem. I think preorder weapons might not decay. Do preorder weapons have durability and decay? Or is it just not showing up as i previously mentioned?

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Items currently only decay on "use" thus mostly only finished products that can be used will have the decay on them.
Baskets do not decay (per DevDez 2 times).

About the sticky tooltip, its been known but, also if you looking a player, and have a tooltip up from that players loot once they respawn, it will close the window and it will keep the tooptip up, you cant get rid of this without looting another player, or relogging.

Currently I do not believe preorder weapons decay, but I would like to see a response about this. I really hope they do.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Anyway we can get the forums fixed from all these laggy double posts?

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 10:21 AM
It looks like basalt bricks have "infinite duration". There is such a thing as a class of durability as infinite. Preorder weapons arent showing their durability it seems.

mrcalhou
05-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Items currently only decay on "use" thus mostly only finished products that can be used will have the decay on them.
Baskets do not decay (per DevDez 2 times).

About the sticky tooltip, its been known but, also if you looking a player, and have a tooltip up from that players loot once they respawn, it will close the window and it will keep the tooptip up, you cant get rid of this without looting another player, or relogging.

Currently I do not believe preorder weapons decay, but I would like to see a response about this. I really hope they do.

I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.

By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 10:31 AM

Very true. People will be dying on purpose to generate loot.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 10:31 AM

mrcalhou
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Double post.

mrcalhou
05-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Eh, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than has been about preorder weapons, but basically: The starter equipment. Perhaps what you would spawn with upon character creation. I actually think that each character should start the game with one of each type of starter tool/weapon anyway.

If I die in Eve-online and have nothing to my name, as soon as I dock or respawn at a station, then the game gives me the starter ship, the starter guns, and the starter mining laser. This way I can get back into mining or back into combat without having to start all over or beg in chat and pray that someone is kind enough to take pity on me.

Yeah, but that's a balance problem. The devs HAVE to make starter equipment nearly worthless and useless. Starter equipment should be just that--equipment that is used to get your character started.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Yeah, but that's a balance problem. The devs HAVE to make starter equipment nearly worthless and useless. Starter equipment should be just that--equipment that is used to get your character started.

I am fine with starter tools - as long as they can't be traded or looted.

mrcalhou
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I am fine with starter tools - as long as they can't be traded or looted.

Well, that would fix the problem of people constantly dying and respawning to trade them, but it does nothing to prevent people from constantly relying on them. They STILL need to be balanced to be nearly useless. Infact, they could even have infinite durability; the key is to make it so that people only want use them as a last resort.

thurgond
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Starter tools are nearly worthless. If you start with tool crafting and scavenging, you can make better tools as soon as you have the recipes.

Pre-order weapons are not the best in the game. I can scavenge and make weapons that are better in every way except durability. And you can bet I'll be using Pioneer tools to make the highest quality, lowest durability weapons possible because I want repeat customers.

Ravelli

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Starter tools are nearly worthless. If you start with tool crafting and scavenging, you can make better tools as soon as you have the recipes.

Pre-order weapons are not the best in the game. I can scavenge and make weapons that are better in every way except durability. And you can bet I'll be using Pioneer tools to make the highest quality, lowest durability weapons possible because I want repeat customers.

Ravelli

I don't think its a good business plan to design weapons that are effective and fragile. Both durability and efficacy will be important for repeat customers.

As for starter soulbound tools -- make it so you CAN NOT gain skill on them. Darkfall figured this out a little too late -- at launch, people would take their soulbound starter staves and cast magic into nothing for hours to get skill, and they would swing their soulbound starter swords on people and get maxed weapon mastery.

Anything people start with, respawn with, and can't break, trade, or loot, should NEVER get skill from using them. They should be for the sole purpose of getting to the point that they can make good tools or products with.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:06 PM
They could do away with giving starter tools entirely - if they made recipes for the starter tools which didn't require tools at all. A rock, string , and branch makes a hammer.

Plague
05-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I don't want any starter tools on death. People can forage and scavange and trade for tools. 20 nails get you a decent tool and some guys, like me, offer free tools to new starters.

unclean666
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
If there crap tools who cares.

Creator
05-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I want tools which fix the server crashing today, have lost 3 HQ finds and 5 recipes that I haven't gotten before... grrr

unclean666
05-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Yeah and some A hole is going to have to chop down his trees again and leave them.

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 03:48 PM
If there crap tools who cares.

If they're crap tools that never go away but still give skill gains, it destroys the need for those tools in the market, killing the demand for them due to an infinite supply, which hurts the economy. The only purpose for new tools would be for making fine products. By breaking tools in the process of learning of craft skills, more tools are needed and a demand is created that supplements the demand created by the need for higher quality items.

This economy has an abundance of supply but it needs more demand.

Jadzia
05-18-2011, 04:02 PM
They could do away with giving starter tools entirely - if they made recipes for the starter tools which didn't require tools at all. A rock, string , and branch makes a hammer.

This is a very good idea...and these tools should break very fast, and should be poor quality.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 04:49 PM
This is a very good idea...and these tools should break very fast, and should be poor quality.

I agree.

Great posts guys, and Jadzia.

unclean666
05-18-2011, 05:00 PM
if they make them break thats cool but i dont think thay should break really fast let new people get going a lil.Besides ive broken my scrappers hammer at mod dur and it really dident take much when grinding.

GuideRaguel
05-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Greetings all,

Some really good suggestions and ideas among this thread.
I will pass this onto the developers and let them know what your thoughts are.

Keep them coming.

Thank you.

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 07:25 PM

So far i think this is the best solution. Crappy starter tools that can be made w/ out other tools for people to get going, that break fast and produce poor things but are easily accessible to new players.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 11:16 PM
See - I don't just complain.

dezgard
05-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Apart from complaining about you don't always complain lol j/k a side.

I really like this thread and will watch it closely.

Creator
05-19-2011, 07:14 AM
I started just the other day, and I have to agree that basic feeble and crude starter tools would probably make people feel as if they could do something. When I first looked at my toons list, I saw a list of items I had the recipe to make but not the tools to make, and I had not the recipes to make the tools I needed... Is like have water without a cup, at least let us use our hands to drink in this aspect.

Also next patch really recommend making basket recipes scavangable... pretty important thing to be able to make without having to reroll your toon 2 hours into the game.

Azhul_NS
05-19-2011, 07:18 AM
I started just the other day, and I have to agree that basic feeble and crude starter tools would probably make people feel as if they could do something. When I first looked at my toons list, I saw a list of items I had the recipe to make but not the tools to make, and I had not the recipes to make the tools I needed... Is like have water without a cup, at least let us use our hands to drink in this aspect.

Also next patch really recommend making basket recipes scavangable... pretty important thing to be able to make without having to reroll your toon 2 hours into the game.

Indeed. I started with a tool crafter, and rerolled a couple hours later as a basket maker. The game is virtually unplayable without baskets.

Give newbies a single basket recipe with small storage space.

BTW, give us a cup or waterskin recipe.

MrDDT
05-19-2011, 07:19 AM

This is working as intended according to Virtus, and the guides. (Ive always thought it was a bug).

I really hope thats not true, because like you I think it shouldn't be but hey, what do I know.