PDA

View Full Version : Great patch!

NorCalGooey
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm seriously happy with this 6mb patch. This has brought a lot of life back into the economy. I'm already having to ask one of our high quality tool crafters to make more tools :)

One step in the right direction devs, keep the patches rolling!

fotuenti
05-18-2011, 11:56 AM
i haven't played the new patch yet, but definite props in order to the dev team. for the noise we make it's nice to see a big patch get introduced.

jeru
05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
Aye, a lot more in this patch than I anticipated! kudos

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Ya great job on the decay per use.
Still waiting for totem decay, decay while on the ground, etc.
This is a good start. I would not call this a big patch, but it surely will have a major effect on how the game is played now. Trade and econ took a major step forward today.

ColonelTEE3
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
This is a good start. I would not call this a big patch, but it surely will have a major effect on how the game is played now. Trade and econ took a major step forward today.

Not a big patch, but big implications. Think about where we'd be if this had been in at release.

NorCalGooey
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM

I would hope decay on the ground is really slow, like for the highest quality resources that are inside the highest quality house for example, they should decay in maybe 3 months? Plus the decay would be accelerated during winter.

I'm waiting to see how this plays about before I mass stockpile junk.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I agree with you about the decay on the ground.
I think the house should decay faster than the items inside, but also have more dura than the items tend to inside.

I think depends on the items should depend on the decay. IE, eyeballs and flowers should decay a lot faster than a plastic needle, but an iron needle might decay very fast (rusting).

NorCalGooey
05-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Well I agree with you about the decay on the ground.
I think the house should decay faster than the items inside, but also have more dura than the items tend to inside.

I think depends on the items should depend on the decay. IE, eyeballs and flowers should decay a lot faster than a plastic needle, but an iron needle might decay very fast (rusting).

Right, but that would be a lot of individual items to work on. But it's realistic.

fotuenti
05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Not a big patch, but big implications. Think about where we'd be if this had been in at release.

yeah, that's more what i was getting at. the number of complaints about decay has been huge, so in my mind that makes this patch very significant.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Pleased that they put it in, but I see NO reason at all it will affect trade or scarcity.

They were wise to err on the safe side, but the items will not decay fast enough to even make a dent in the supply.

They also need to make it much slower/harder to make the items.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Pleased that they put it in, but I see NO reason at all it will affect trade or scarcity.

They were wise to err on the safe side, but the items will not decay fast enough to even make a dent in the supply.

They also need to make it much slower/harder to make the items.

You sir are very wrong.
Ive already worn out 4 knives. My stock is almost out. I didnt have a huge stock but Im only 1 person and thats just knives.

Im going to have to start trading my skills for others to get better stuff.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Or, you could just - make some knives.

I started with 5 skill in toolmaking, and can now make every tool I have heard of - except shovels, for some reason.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Being that Im a crappy tool crafter, I could but then I would have crappy tools for my good weapons, or good wood, or good armor etc.

If I were just skilling up ya you would be right, but Im crafting good stuff, QL of the tools matter, just as in fighting QL of the weapons matter, just as in cutting down a tree, QL of the axe matters.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Being that Im a crappy tool crafter, I could but then I would have crappy tools for my good weapons, or good wood, or good armor etc.

If I were just skilling up ya you would be right, but Im crafting good stuff, QL of the tools matter, just as in fighting QL of the weapons matter, just as in cutting down a tree, QL of the axe matters.

Let me know if quality of weapons/armour/building materials actually makes any different in performance. If not, then you only need better tools - to make better tools.

ivolta
05-18-2011, 02:16 PM

I started with 5 skill in toolmaking, and can now make every tool I have heard of - except shovels, for some reason.

Shovels and picks are part of weapon craft not tools

Drevar
05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
If you are making tools for grinding be sure to use foragers or scrappers tools to make them. Using those two sets gives the product a higher durability, meaning you can spam more before they break.

If you are making tools in order to have a good set to make "real" items with be sure to use pioneer's or trapper's tools to make them. You get a bonus to QL of the product when using them.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Shovels and picks are part of weapon craft not tools

Ah. Thank you. Strange.

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Let me know if quality of weapons/armour/building materials actually makes any different in performance. If not, then you only need better tools - to make better tools.

You read the forums enough, you should know they already do.
Skill, stats, mats, and tools all factor into QL of the finished item.

IE. Woodcutting, you factor in mats (log), QL of tools (knife), and skill/stats of the woodcutter. = QL of wood handle.

Jadzia
05-18-2011, 02:38 PM
You read the forums enough, you should know they already do.
Skill, stats, mats, and tools all factor into QL of the finished item.

IE. Woodcutting, you factor in mats (log), QL of tools (knife), and skill/stats of the woodcutter. = QL of wood handle.

The question is if there is any difference between a moderate QL armor and a master QL one defense-wise. That I'd like to know as well.

Azhul_NS
05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
The question is if there is any difference between a moderate QL armor and a master QL one defense-wise. That I'd like to know as well.

Yes. THAT is what I was asking.

NorCalGooey
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
In Progress:

-Crafted object additional properties and bonuses.
-Revised tree data storage system to prepare for tree planting and farming.
This will be accompanied by a full tree reset when it is patched out.

The first two items listed are currently being checked on the test server. The tree data storage revision was a major task which took up the bulk of our time over the past two weeks and it just requires some final testing. As this is nearly done and I expect we will do some further adjustments to use decay after receiving feedback, we may have another patch ready in a few days rather than wait for next week. The rest of the items are in progress or next up on our list.

^^

Hopefully this means item stats for different qualities

MrDDT
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Very much so. Much better protections, and even better if you have high skills.

Robrecht
05-19-2011, 04:16 AM
While I'm not adverse to item decay, I think it's some prime grade A bullcrap that tools decay while there's no adequate way to replace starter tools with (low quality, easy to break) tools that DON'T require a whole bunch of other tools (either for making the tool itself or making the components for the tools).

It's currently possible for even an experienced Toolmaker to wear out the tools he needs to make replacement tools with. I know it's supposed to promote interaction and trade, but that doesn't work if some of the items needed for toolcrafting (like the infamous 'old saw blade' required for all Saws) are exceedingly rare and right now mostly in the hands of a few select tribes who aren't going to trade it to their neighbours for anything approaching a fair price.

Especially not for new characters who are unfortunate to discover that the only toolmaking recipes they have are not the ones they need to replace their current tools and their current tools wear out before they can get the recipes to make new ones.

Azhul_NS
05-19-2011, 05:06 AM
'Trade for what you need' doesn't work well when you're the only one on in your zone.

There just isn't the population to make requiring trading for BASIC tools workable.

unclean666
05-19-2011, 06:46 AM
Saw blades are rare?...not really try scaving i have 3 bins full.

MrDDT
05-19-2011, 07:31 AM
While I'm not adverse to item decay, I think it's some prime grade A bullcrap that tools decay while there's no adequate way to replace starter tools with (low quality, easy to break) tools that DON'T require a whole bunch of other tools (either for making the tool itself or making the components for the tools).

It's currently possible for even an experienced Toolmaker to wear out the tools he needs to make replacement tools with. I know it's supposed to promote interaction and trade, but that doesn't work if some of the items needed for toolcrafting (like the infamous 'old saw blade' required for all Saws) are exceedingly rare and right now mostly in the hands of a few select tribes who aren't going to trade it to their neighbours for anything approaching a fair price.

Especially not for new characters who are unfortunate to discover that the only toolmaking recipes they have are not the ones they need to replace their current tools and their current tools wear out before they can get the recipes to make new ones.

What do you call experienced?

Im at only like 25 tool crafting and Ive not had any problems replacing tools, so much so Im not even taking it higher because now I can make all the tools I need to level up my other crafts.

Saw blades are rare?...not really try scaving i have 3 bins full.

You know darn well that saw blades are kinda rare. But both of you are going to the extreme on both ends.

jemmus
05-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Hmm, that does look like a possible problem. But then again, isn't this supposed to be a survival game at some level? New solo players might have to use some wits and some deal-making ability to work something out. Like, offer to deliver a full basket of plastic scrap to somebody's camp in exchange for a hammer. Not good enough? OK, two baskets of plastic scrap. Ok, it's a deal. Err, you're going to have to lend me the baskets to carry the stuff in. I don't have any. It seems like a new player with some creative thinking could work it out.

Rothkur
05-21-2011, 03:45 AM
Stuff decays yet I still have nothing to do in Xsyon.

"Oh here's another grind mechanic go grind some more so that you have the ability to grind some more but yeah content? Nah bro we're gunna work on grind mechanics first then worry about actual features"

Cool........

Wait no this blows.

Would have been nice if a game in ALPHA stages wasn't falsely advertised as a title in launch phase. Dawntide has more to do than this goddamn game and it's free, and the graphics look better, and the art style looks better, and the combat is better.

Seriously WHAT THE FLYING FUCK are the developers doing? It's not like this is a teeny tiny 5 man team or anything like Dawntide, and Dawntide gets a helluva lot more shit done than Notorious Games does.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 03:50 AM

"Oh here's another grind mechanic go grind some more so that you have the ability to grind some more but yeah content? Nah bro we're gunna work on grind mechanics first then worry about actual features"

Cool........

Wait no this blows.

Would have been nice if a game in ALPHA stages wasn't falsely advertised as a title in launch phase.

Sadly, this is typical for MMOs. Tons of grind (because it is cheap and easy to code), and very little fun.

I suppose it's fun for those with OCD.

Rothkur
05-21-2011, 03:53 AM
Sadly, this is typical for MMOs. Tons of grind (because it is cheap and easy to code), and very little fun.

I suppose it's fun for those with OCD.

"Oh hey lets take this great idea for a sandbox MMO, market it like it has innovative content and mechanics, and then make it into an utterly boring grindfest because that's how we make $14.99/month off of people, who gives a fuck if it's fun?"

This game has about 2 things going for it: Animal Breeding and Terraforming.

China
05-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Looks over Rothkur's shoulder. Nope, nobodies twisting your arm.

Why aren't you playing Dawntide instead of cussing & whining on the Xsyon forums?

Nvm, I really don't want to know, please do not respond.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Looks over Rothkur's shoulder. Nope, nobodies twisting your arm.

Why aren't you playing Dawntide instead of cussing & whining on the Xsyon forums?

Nvm, I really don't want to know, please do not respond.

Same reason as me, I suppose - because I paid for it.

Jadzia
05-21-2011, 06:06 AM

Cool........

Wait no this blows.

Would have been nice if a game in ALPHA stages wasn't falsely advertised as a title in launch phase. Dawntide has more to do than this goddamn game and it's free, and the graphics look better, and the art style looks better, and the combat is better.

Seriously WHAT THE FLYING FUCK are the developers doing? It's not like this is a teeny tiny 5 man team or anything like Dawntide, and Dawntide gets a helluva lot more shit done than Notorious Games does.

I played Dawntide, I had high hopes for it...but that game is unplayable, very very buggy, characters looks awful, graphics is very boring, that game has been in development for sooo long that by the time it actually launches (who knows when, its not even close to it) no one will play it due to the dated graphics.

Just FYI, Xsyon dev team is teeny tiny one, smaller than Dawntide's.

GuideEzekiel
05-21-2011, 10:04 AM
If you are going to criticize the game do so constructively, and not complain for the sake of complaining otherwise I will lock this thread due to derailment.

Rothkur
05-21-2011, 12:07 PM
I played Dawntide, I had high hopes for it...but that game is unplayable, very very buggy, characters looks awful, graphics is very boring, that game has been in development for sooo long that by the time it actually launches (who knows when, its not even close to it) no one will play it due to the dated graphics.

Just FYI, Xsyon dev team is teeny tiny one, smaller than Dawntide's.

Except that's completely and utterly wrong. Xsyon has launched far before it was in a state to launch. Don't you think it's common sense for a developer to wait and get things right before releasing?

Grow up and stop trolling for like 2 seconds, okay? It's obnoxious. It's not funny, it's not cool, it's childish. People play Minecraft, Wurm, Haven and Hearth, and Terraria. League of Legends is extremely popular and has very low end graphics. Plenty of people still play Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Everquest 1 shards, Ultima Online shards, Dark Age of Camelot Shards, and other old games with "outdated" graphics.

I've posted some info on Xsyon multiple times in multiple places to try to promote the game and the consistent thing I get is "You pay $14.99 to play this? What the hell? It looks terrible!"

http://www.dawnguide.net/images/bastion6.jpg

What a fanboy...

If you are going to criticize the game do so constructively, and not complain for the sake of complaining otherwise I will lock this thread due to derailment.

I kinda was if you know you actually read the posts.

Constructive Criticism:

Instead of working on things like putting in decay to make us just watch progress more bars fill up all day and call that fun gameplay, the devs should focus on more interesting mechanics like farming, animal breeding, siege mechanics, real rewards for PvP, conquest, more interesting mechanics for crafting and gathering, NPC guards for towns, and things like boats.

I mean seriously... I log in to Xsyon every say and all I do it watch a progress bar.

1.) Get In Game 2.) Go to a scrap pile 3.) Watch 4 progress bars for my scavenging 4.) Watch 4 progress bars to sort it 5.) Walk over to my basket and lose all of my energy 2 times during the process 6.) watch a progress bar to open my basket 7.) put the items in 8.) now I have 100% thirst and 100% hunger so I need to go farming for about 10-20 minutes to get some huckleberry oak and go drink water.

The game seriously needs something more to it for people to log on and in a month the only thing towards that we've seen is more animals throughout the world and some sort of auto animal reproduction system that really hasn't worked. (1059 is void of animals again)

Book
05-21-2011, 12:23 PM
man, either people are very very small in Dawntide, or rabbits are very very large... what the heck is that thing? and do they have oversized carrots and mustard to cook it with?

In any case, seems to me if you come on Xsyon's forums and start throwing feces, breaking branches, etc... you can't really be getting all that upset when you get some thrown back at you.

GuideRaguel
05-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I kinda was if you know you actually read the posts.

Constructive Criticism:

Instead of working on things like putting in decay to make us just watch progress more bars fill up all day and call that fun gameplay, the devs should focus on more interesting mechanics like farming, animal breeding, siege mechanics, real rewards for PvP, conquest, more interesting mechanics for crafting and gathering, NPC guards for towns, and things like boats.

I mean seriously... I log in to Xsyon every say and all I do it watch a progress bar.

1.) Get In Game 2.) Go to a scrap pile 3.) Watch 4 progress bars for my scavenging 4.) Watch 4 progress bars to sort it 5.) Walk over to my basket and lose all of my energy 2 times during the process 6.) watch a progress bar to open my basket 7.) put the items in 8.) now I have 100% thirst and 100% hunger so I need to go farming for about 10-20 minutes to get some huckleberry oak and go drink water.

The game seriously needs something more to it for people to log on and in a month the only thing towards that we've seen is more animals throughout the world and some sort of auto animal reproduction system that really hasn't worked. (1059 is void of animals again)

Greetings Community,

The Development team is working on Agriculture and revamping of the Combat as we type, decay was the first feature in development that was ready to be released for the public.
We do have a lot to balance and change with the decay system, but the decay system is laying the ground works for later features, which needed to be released before they get implemented.

The issue you are raising with the grinding of the skills (progress bar), is getting changed in the near future. Jooky has said that he would like to revamp the crafting to make it a bit more fun.

The issue you are having with animals in your zones is not a case of the game simply not spawning enough or breeding fast enough, not at all.
The issue that you are facing here, is that players are not controlling there local resources, which in this case is animals.
Animals are resources and if you use up all the animal resources in the area then you are going to have to travel to different zones in order to stock up.
The idea with the Animals is that the player base is to maintain them, they will breed and start to re-populate the zones but you have to give them time.
Go for a walk travel the world a little and kill animals in different zones, try not to kill too many, find and kill a few animals in the 8 neighbouring zones around you.

Please, lets not let this thread derail any further.

Thank you.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Greetings Community,

The Development team is working on Agriculture and revamping of the Combat as we type, decay was the first feature in development that was ready to be released for the public.
We do have a lot to balance and change with the decay system, but the decay system is laying the ground works for later features, which needed to be released before they get implemented.

The issue you are raising with the grinding of the skills (progress bar), is getting changed in the near future. Jooky has said that he would like to revamp the crafting to make it a bit more fun.

The issue you are having with animals in your zones is not a case of the game simply not spawning enough or breeding fast enough, not at all.
The issue that you are facing here, is that players are not controlling there local resources, which in this case is animals.
Animals are resources and if you use up all the animal resources in the area then you are going to have to travel to different zones in order to stock up.
The idea with the Animals is that the player base is to maintain them, they will breed and start to re-populate the zones but you have to give them time.
Go for a walk travel the world a little and kill animals in different zones, try not to kill too many, find and kill a few animals in the 8 neighbouring zones around you.

Thank you.

Thanks Raguel for the info.

About the spawning of animal resources. Im sure there are animals out there, problem is running around 10 to 12 zones you find 1 or 0. There is no tracking, there is no way to find them other than per chance you find one. They dont make sounds, they dont leave tracks etc. You just happen to be lucky enough to walk into one.

Another problem is the fact that they spawn out of thin air sometimes too. Ive seen it where they just poof spawn.

Another problem with "just take a walk" are the bugs with that. Have you just taken a walk like you are asking others to do? Or have you just assumed because you can see where all the animals are? Try walking about 5 zones and tell me how that works out for you (an hour later). Because likely you will be bugged like many people I know and see no buildings, no people and no animals, because of a bug. Forcing you to relog. (Which right now is another problem for some people for many reasons, "Already logged in bug", "LONG loading time issues 15+ mins for some" etc.

On top of all this, if you do find a spawn of animals you might have all of 2 to 3mins of fun, for the hours and hours you spent trying to get there, then you have to worry about "Am I killing to many?" when you kill the small spawn of 1 or 3.

Aiden
05-21-2011, 01:56 PM

About the spawning of animal resources. Im sure there are animals out there, problem is running around 10 to 12 zones you find 1 or 0. There is no tracking, there is no way to find them other than per chance you find one. They dont make sounds, they dont leave tracks etc. You just happen to be lucky enough to walk into one.

Another problem is the fact that they spawn out of thin air sometimes too. Ive seen it where they just poof spawn.

Another problem with "just take a walk" are the bugs with that. Have you just taken a walk like you are asking others to do? Or have you just assumed because you can see where all the animals are? Try walking about 5 zones and tell me how that works out for you (an hour later). Because likely you will be bugged like many people I know and see no buildings, no people and no animals, because of a bug. Forcing you to relog. (Which right now is another problem for some people for many reasons, "Already logged in bug", "LONG loading time issues 15+ mins for some" etc.

On top of all this, if you do find a spawn of animals you might have all of 2 to 3mins of fun, for the hours and hours you spent trying to get there, then you have to worry about "Am I killing to many?" when you kill the small spawn of 1 or 3.

And then....you get to worry about how you're going to carry all that crap back home....or you decide to go with the current travel option and suicide...and sit at the loading screen for 10-15...

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 01:58 PM
And then....you get to worry about how you're going to carry all that crap back home....or you decide to go with the current travel option and suicide...and sit at the loading screen for 10-15...

The list goes on and on and on....

Aiden
05-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Greetings Community,

Thank you.

I do appreciate the update here as well as on IRC earlier Raguel and I have seen progress by the team since I've been here (not long). I'm hoping that they are able to maintain that progress in the coming weeks (I read somewhere that the new launcher/system/*something* was done to promote quicker work and quicker updates). I, like everyone else I think - except a few folks - want to see the game succeed...we're just not very patient (some much more so than others), especially when paying for it.

I'm looking forward to agriculture changes and the combat revamp. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for some changes that desperately need to be address (better forms of travel, a new crafting system that is more than "click 30,000 times while trying not to fall asleep at the keyboard watching a bar", and more tools for the sandbox) and I hope they're coming sooner rather than later.

Thanks again for the update....and I do agree that this patch was great...I've been trading and interacting with what's there of the population much more in the past few days.

*Edit* Moved the bulk of my edit to the suggestions area :)

Zarin
05-21-2011, 02:49 PM

This is a valid point. I understand the desire to make the game realistic and I support this, but we shouldn't sacrifice entertaining gameplay for realism. I think that the animal resources shouldn't be as dramatic, if we want to have rarity and value then add different types of animals or creatures that are: harder to find, located in specific types of environment, provide valuable and needed recourses..

This game really does need more on the PvE end, sometimes it would be nice to run into a pack of bears or be confronted by some animals at your camp. I understand that mobs shouldn't be as populated as WoW's mobs are, but it seems that the amount we are seeing in game is far too low and inactive.

afterclap
05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
This is a valid point. I understand the desire to make the game realistic and I support this, but we shouldn't sacrifice entertaining gameplay for realism. I think that the animal resources shouldn't be as dramatic, if we want to have rarity and value than add different types of animals or creatures that are: harder to find, located in specific types of environment, provide valuable and needed recourses..

This game really does need more on the PvE end, sometimes it would be nice to run into a pack of bears or be confronted by some animals at your camp. I understand that mobs shouldn't be as populated as WoW's mobs are, but it seems that the amount we are seeing in game is far too low and inactive.

i agree, i think the foundation of having animals breed and populate as intended is great, but i do think the world is a bit barren right now. maybe it will change when animals start breeding more, but there should really always exist a little more PvE opportunities and it's kind of scarce right now

Rothkur
05-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Greetings Community,

Thank you.

That's great to hear but until then I'll just be cancelling my sub, thanks. Call me when the people you work for make a fun game with interesting content and not a conservation simulator, because as long as the game is a conservation simulator I'll be "conserving my resources" if you get my jist.

jemmus
05-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Greetings Community,

Thank you.

Excellent, good to know. Question (if the answer wouldn't be a spoiler for the players): How do the animals interact with each other? If we have bears in an area, do they drive away/consume the deer? If dogs, do they drive away/consume chickens? Do dogs and coyotes get along? Basically what I'm wondering is if there's a check and balance among the animals. If we, say, conserve bears, are we losing deer population?

P.S. Where are the pumas? : )

GuideRaguel
05-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Excellent, good to know. Question (if the answer wouldn't be a spoiler for the players): How do the animals interact with each other? If we have bears in an area, do they drive away/consume the deer? If dogs, do they drive away/consume chickens? Do dogs and coyotes get along? Basically what I'm wondering is if there's a check and balance among the animals. If we, say, conserve bears, are we losing deer population?

P.S. Where are the pumas? : )

Hello,

I have put this question of yours into the Developer Zone.

'Question of the Week (http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthread.php/6923-Questions-of-the-Week-23-5-2011-28-5-2011?p=82712#post82712)' thread.