PDA

View Full Version : Decay and Tribes vs. Homesteads and LIGHT PLEASE

TheShift
05-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Can anyone point me to some info re:these two topics:

I've done a bunch of reading on the forums but can't seem to answer the follow 3 items adequately. The fourth item is more of a plea...

First, I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Is there decay? Is it in? Does it apply to an area where I have placed a totem?

Second, I've placed a totem but there are only 2 of us...does that make it a homestead? Have I placed it wrong?

Third, Do my baskets decay if they are placed in the footprint of my "tribe" or "homestead" or whatever it is? Is there anywhere other than "on me" that my items are safe?

Fourth, please tell me it's in the near'ish plans to add torches, lanterns or some such thing to the game? Even with my gamma at max, its virtually unplayable at night.

NorCalGooey
05-20-2011, 10:53 AM
If anything the games natural brightness is too bright.

You need to turn your gamma and brightness up both on your monitor and video card.

The only thing different between me for night and day is moon instead of a sun and no shadows. The lighting is barely different.

Torches would be great

Jadzia
05-20-2011, 11:04 AM
If anything the games natural brightness is too bright.

You need to turn your gamma and brightness up both on your monitor and video card.

The only thing different between me for night and day is moon instead of a sun and no shadows. The lighting is barely different.

Torches would be great
Its different for players, not sure why though. Its pitch black for me at night as well, I can hardly see my own character.

To the OP:
Crafted objects like armors, weapons, tools decay by use and eventually break. I have no idea if buildings decay or not, my guess is that they don't.

2 players make a perfect homestead :) Homesteads can be fund by 1-5 players.
I believe baskets don't decay now either. I may be wrong though.

Edit: what do you mean by 'safe' ? Safe from other players or safe from decay ? If you put a basket on the ground and you set it to 'private', no one can open it but you. If a player drops a totem beside your basket then he will be able to open it. Everything inside your totem area is safe.

MrDDT
05-20-2011, 11:26 AM

I've done a bunch of reading on the forums but can't seem to answer the follow 3 items adequately. The fourth item is more of a plea...

First, I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Is there decay? Is it in? Does it apply to an area where I have placed a totem? Yes decay on used items only right now. Armor, weapons, tools etc. Totems do not decay right now.

Second, I've placed a totem but there are only 2 of us...does that make it a homestead? Have I placed it wrong? Yes its a homestead.

Third, Do my baskets decay if they are placed in the footprint of my "tribe" or "homestead" or whatever it is? Is there anywhere other than "on me" that my items are safe? Baskets do not decay right now anywhere you place them.
Items "On you" are not safe unless you are in your tribe lands. Your tribe lands are safe for items if you do not give any of your tribe members access, anyone with access can then use or take items.
Outside of tribe lands nothing is safe, but preorder weapons which are soulbound.

Fourth, please tell me it's in the near'ish plans to add torches, lanterns or some such thing to the game? Even with my gamma at max, its virtually unplayable at night. Ive not heard anything about torches or lanterns however you can make campfires.
If you are playing in windowed mode changing the gamma will likely not have an effect. There are ways to fix this contact support.

what do you mean by 'safe' ? Safe from other players or safe from decay ? If you put a basket on the ground and you set it to 'private', no one can open it but you.

Not true, a player can take baskets that are set to private outside of totem areas by dropping a totem near them.

First, I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Is there decay? Is it in? Does it apply to an area where I have placed a totem? Yes decay on used items only right now. Armor, weapons, tools etc. Totems do not decay right now.

Second, I've placed a totem but there are only 2 of us...does that make it a homestead? Have I placed it wrong? Yes its a homestead.

Third, Do my baskets decay if they are placed in the footprint of my "tribe" or "homestead" or whatever it is? Is there anywhere other than "on me" that my items are safe? Baskets do not decay right now anywhere you place them.
Items "On you" are not safe unless you are in your tribe lands. Your tribe lands are safe for items if you do not give any of your tribe members access, anyone with access can then use or take items.
Outside of tribe lands nothing is safe, but preorder weapons which are soulbound.

Fourth, please tell me it's in the near'ish plans to add torches, lanterns or some such thing to the game? Even with my gamma at max, its virtually unplayable at night. Ive not heard anything about torches or lanterns however you can make campfires.
If you are playing in windowed mode changing the gamma will likely not have an effect. There are ways to fix this contact support.

what do you mean by 'safe' ? Safe from other players or safe from decay ? If you put a basket on the ground and you set it to 'private', no one can open it but you.

Not true, a player can take baskets that are set to private outside of totem areas by dropping a totem near them.

Jadzia
05-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Lol. If you want to reply my posts, at least read them, don't stop at half.

MrDDT
05-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Dont edit them while Im posting then.
I cant see that you are going to edit it while Im posting.

NorCalGooey
05-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Its different for players, not sure why though. Its pitch black for me at night as well, I can hardly see my own character.

To the OP:
Crafted objects like armors, weapons, tools decay by use and eventually break. I have no idea if buildings decay or not, my guess is that they don't.

2 players make a perfect homestead :) Homesteads can be fund by 1-5 players.
I believe baskets don't decay now either. I may be wrong though.

Edit: what do you mean by 'safe' ? Safe from other players or safe from decay ? If you put a basket on the ground and you set it to 'private', no one can open it but you. If a player drops a totem beside your basket then he will be able to open it. Everything inside your totem area is safe.

I wish it was pitch black for me it night. I don't understand this at all. Seriously, nothing changes

Jadzia
05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
I wish it was pitch black for me it night. I don't understand this at all. Seriously, nothing changes

I envy you :) Can we swap comps ? :p

Throne
05-20-2011, 12:25 PM
The day v night lighting is very slight for me...it did take some time in with my vc and ingame video settings to achieve this. Considering it's highly affected by user end settings, it's not something the developers need to be looking at right now imo. Torches would be nifty.

meissner61
05-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Yea for those of you who say there is no change from day to night, Thats a bug ive heard of it before. Its supposed to be pretty dark at night. Not Mortal Online Dark but pretty dark, Whereas I agree that torches/lanterns would be usefull.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 05:07 AM
The difference between day and night is quite profound for me. I use campfires for a light source.

I don't think adding torches is good idea unless they are limited in number. Every light source is a drain on client performance, and if it affects mob spawns - the server as well. Campfires ought to be limited, also.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 06:48 AM
The difference between day and night is quite profound for me. I use campfires for a light source.

I don't think adding torches is good idea unless they are limited in number. Every light source is a drain on client performance, and if it affects mob spawns - the server as well. Campfires ought to be limited, also.

If they just make them burn out using resources they wont be over used IMO.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 08:20 AM
If they just make them burn out using resources they wont be over used IMO.

Well, I would HOPE they would burn out, like campfires SEEM designed to, but that is another drain on the server. Keeping track of all those timers.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Well, I would HOPE they would burn out, like campfires SEEM designed to, but that is another drain on the server. Keeping track of all those timers.

Haha, I dont think you know how it really works. It would be like saying, grass on the server is a drain. Sure anything you add is going to drain it, however, its not all that much. If they burn out over time then its even less of a drain.

Azhul_NS
05-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Haha, I dont think you know how it really works. It would be like saying, grass on the server is a drain. Sure anything you add is going to drain it, however, its not all that much. If they burn out over time then its even less of a drain.

I will ignore the implied insult and say that any object in the world which can be interacted with, or has an effect on other objects (inluding player characters) has to be kept track of saparately by the server. When you are also keeping track of the terrain, that starts to add up. Putting a state timer on each light source adds even more drain.

A light source with a timer is more of a demand than a patch of grass.

MrDDT
05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I will ignore the implied insult and say that any object in the world which can be interacted with, or has an effect on other objects (inluding player characters) has to be kept track of saparately by the server. When you are also keeping track of the terrain, that starts to add up. Putting a state timer on each light source adds even more drain.

A light source with a timer is more of a demand than a patch of grass.

I agree, but there are 10000s of patches of grass.

My point is that, its not like its going to lag the server. If it does then remove it. Decay has 10000x more effect on lag on the server than light source timers ever would.

Rothkur
05-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Torches, lanterns, and larger fires are not really optional in a sandbox game with a day/night cycle.

dezgard
05-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Wait for fuel and generators and find some save the world low energy light bulbs (world was not saved so they didn't work in the end :P)

thurgond
05-22-2011, 09:15 AM
I thought civilization ended after people learned to make perpetual fires just by placing ten stones in a circular pattern.

It turned out the oil and energy company profits really were an essential part of the economy. Who would have figured that.

Ravelli

TheShift
05-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Torches, lanterns, and larger fires are not really optional in a sandbox game with a day/night cycle.

I disagree.

Ok so for me, dark nights are very much like Mortal Online. Black. I have jacked all my settings and it doesn't help. It's unplayable at night unless i stand by my campfire.

The question I was asking re: homesteads...when I go to the ui, it tells me that what I have placed is a tribe. It does not say "homestead" in the window it says "tribe"...but there are only two members. Does that mean I have placed it wrong or does it just not distinguish? Does it make it a homestead because I only have two people in it?

Also, the question I was asking about things being "safe" was referring to decay. Will my basket with items, placed within my homestead or tribe or whatever, decay eventually? There doesn't seem to be a way to check what condition the basket is in unless I empty it and place it in my pack...

ColonelTEE3
05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
I disagree.

Ok so for me, dark nights are very much like Mortal Online. Black. I have jacked all my settings and it doesn't help. It's unplayable at night unless i stand by my campfire.

The question I was asking re: homesteads...when I go to the ui, it tells me that what I have placed is a tribe. It does not say "homestead" in the window it says "tribe"...but there are only two members. Does that mean I have placed it wrong or does it just not distinguish? Does it make it a homestead because I only have two people in it?

Also, the question I was asking about things being "safe" was referring to decay. Will my basket with items, placed within my homestead or tribe or whatever, decay eventually? There doesn't seem to be a way to check what condition the basket is in unless I empty it and place it in my pack...

Think of a Tribe as the founding format for making a home, regardless of the size. It can be home to one, or few, or many, but its always a tribe of one, a few, or many. It allows for the potential expansion of someone on their own to make a tribe, or stay by themselves.

Baskets dont decay right now. Only things you wear (from damage) or use actively like tools and weapons decay.

VeryWiiTee
05-25-2011, 08:07 AM
I thought civilization ended after people learned to make perpetual fires just by placing ten stones in a circular pattern.

It turned out the oil and energy company profits really were an essential part of the economy. Who would have figured that.

Ravelli

Yeah and such a shame seeing that oil isn't necessary to run the world anymore.. -.-

They should defo make fires go out by themselves if not kept stocked on firewood. It would probably be a bit of a drain on the server to begin with, but rather the little drain to begin with than having millions upon millions upon millions of particles having to be generated each second (which was a HUGE fps problem earlier on..)

TheShift
05-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Think of a Tribe as the founding format for making a home, regardless of the size. It can be home to one, or few, or many, but its always a tribe of one, a few, or many. It allows for the potential expansion of someone on their own to make a tribe, or stay by themselves.

Baskets dont decay right now. Only things you wear (from damage) or use actively like tools and weapons decay.

Thanks much for your reply. So would that mean that if I eventually added 20 people, the footprint of my "homestead" would increase? I thought I read somewhere that there are different sizes of territory...

ColonelTEE3
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks much for your reply. So would that mean that if I eventually added 20 people, the footprint of my "homestead" would increase? I thought I read somewhere that there are different sizes of territory...

The more people in your tribe, the bigger the radius of your homestead. At intervals of certain numbers of people, you go from homestead, to band, to clan, to tribe, or something like that.

MrDDT
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
The more people in your tribe, the bigger the radius of your homestead. At intervals of certain numbers of people, you go from homestead, to band, to clan, to tribe, or something like that.

Dont you have to replace the totem to get it though?

ColonelTEE3
05-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Dont you have to replace the totem to get it though?

Err, to change from clan to tribe and such? I'm not sure about that transition period. I know for a fact that by time you hit tribe, more members just make your radius bigger right then and there.

MrDDT
05-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Err, to change from clan to tribe and such? I'm not sure about that transition period. I know for a fact that by time you hit tribe, more members just make your radius bigger right then and there.

Ya I mean, like does it grow without dropping a totem again? Also does it get smaller if people leave?

ColonelTEE3
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Ya I mean, like does it grow without dropping a totem again? Also does it get smaller if people leave?

It does change size, yes.

MrDDT
05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
It does change size, yes.

Hmm, we went from 1 to 5 and it didnt change.

ColonelTEE3
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Hmm, we went from 1 to 5 and it didnt change.

We've changed from dropping and gaining as little as 3-4 members, although we're at tribe size.

5 is only barely a 'band', im wondering if it would change for you if you got to clan size without re-toteming. If it wouldn't, thats a serious bug.

Jadzia
05-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Homesteads don't grow, even if you get 5 members. As far as I know they can't be upgraded either, you have to drop the totem and start a band.

Homesteads have a fixed radius.
Bands grow in size up to 15 members.
Clans grow in size up to 25 members.
Tribes grow in size up to 80 members.